BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-10-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Fred D

Continuing my mild swim focus... like most of you I find that one day I swim much better than the next. Working on a lot of things in the water, including my super slow flip turns.

I have a swim workout designed by my 12 yo this am, and then a long ride into the central PA mountains this pm.

Thread seems a bit quiet, but likely related to time of year... and a few actual good threads in TT.

I changed my focus to nothing.........I need to come up with a better plan for next year. I think my IM build will only be 4 months.

2014-10-25 11:44 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

In other SBR equipment news :-)...I sold my Powertap wheel. I had it on my road bike and my Quarq on my tri bike

I may try a Vector S and see if I like that

The pain cave is progressing. I have electricity and heating.

I am thinking about selling my Felt and 808's and getting this http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bikes/road/platform/aero/timemachin... with Vector PM. I may not do power because just feel the learning curve may not work out. Than bike is definitely on my radar and it will have fat clincher tires.
2014-10-25 11:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

*I* think there is more to the story.

My inner sources are telling me that Starky is truly upset about how things came off and has a very positive (admiring) opinion of Sanders.

I think TRS is a P.O.S. personally and gets people in trouble (through their own words)... but this is not the first time TRS has got someone in trouble with sponsors, etc.

I've had a funny feeling about the situation as well, and have held off on doing/thinking anything yet. Seeing what else comes out.

2014-10-25 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Lastly, I ended up achieving All American in M40-44 this year. Very happy with that, and truthfully if IMMT was in Merica' then I would have moved up some more. We will see what M45-49 brings next year ;-)

Congratulations!

Although USAT ranking will not be finalized until Feb-Mar 2016, I am sure your standing will hold. I am also currently ranked AA but I highly doubt it will holed. I just hope I can hold onto Honorable Mention.
2014-10-25 12:13 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

In other SBR equipment news :-)...I sold my Powertap wheel. I had it on my road bike and my Quarq on my tri bike

I am thinking about selling my Felt and 808's and getting this http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bikes/road/platform/aero/timemachin... with Vector PM. I may not do power because just feel the learning curve may not work out. Than bike is definitely on my radar and it will have fat clincher tires.

Dats my bike :-) But with the blue trim.

While I think it's a cool looking bike, I would bet it has no aero advantage over yours.
2014-10-25 12:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-10-25 12:19 PM

2014-10-25 12:16 PM

2014-10-25 12:17 PM

2014-10-25 12:19 PM

2014-10-25 12:31 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Dats my bike :-) But with the blue trim.

While I think it's a cool looking bike, I would bet it has no aero advantage over yours.

I do agree it’s not much more aero than my current Felt. My current ride is plenty fast for the engine powering it. The upgrades would be going to 808 clinchers, electric shifting, integrated front brake, and stabler front end (moving away from a 1” steer tube). I do think I’ll have more adjust-ability as well. If I buy from my LBS I’ll also get a free Guru (F.I.S.T) fit.

Yeah I know It probable will not happen anyway……..….
2014-10-25 12:47 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Trying to figure out the rest of next year's race schedule...

IMMT is in the books for 2015.

Thinking Syracuse 70.3 or maybe Blackbear HIM.

Currently running and swimming a lot, with little biking. I start back up with Shane in December, New house *might* be ready by Turkey Day, more likely in December. Unfortunately if it isn't ready by Turkey Day, then it takes quite a long time to get the workers back. Can be weeks...

Lastly, I ended up achieving All American in M40-44 this year. Very happy with that, and truthfully if IMMT was in Merica' then I would have moved up some more. We will see what M45-49 brings next year ;-)

I am looking at one of these pre IMMT. High probability I will be solo for my 2015 race season. Black Bear HIM - May 31st - Small event kind of a grass roots'ish, harder course than Syracuse 70.3. Its earlier and you have done it. Challenge Quassy HIM - Jun 7th - ? But I want to do it Syracuse 70.3 - Jun 21st - Big event and good vibes. Miss leading bike elevation but a fast bike course. The run is brutal!!!

*If* I make the Zoot team again, I think Quassy is a team event, so I might be tempted. Black Bear tempts me a lot, as I think I can race better there than I did in 2008 ;-)

I am sure you’ll race better than 08' at BB. You have a ton more swim fitness. Did the run in 08’ go down the front of the dam? That half mary is now pretty challenging IMO with a 90% trail/rock/crushed rock course.

2014-10-25 12:50 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Continuing my mild swim focus... like most of you I find that one day I swim much better than the next. Working on a lot of things in the water, including my super slow flip turns.

I have a swim workout designed by my 12 yo this am, and then a long ride into the central PA mountains this pm.

Thread seems a bit quiet, but likely related to time of year... and a few actual good threads in TT.

I changed my focus to nothing.........I need to come up with a better plan for next year. I think my IM build will only be 4 months.

You need a plan. Maybe a coach ;-)

Doooooh......there is that "C" word. I afraid I don't have the discipline to work with a coach.
2014-10-25 1:45 PM

Originally posted by marcag In other SBR equipment news :-)...I sold my Powertap wheel. I had it on my road bike and my Quarq on my tri bike I may try a Vector S and see if I like that The pain cave is progressing. I have electricity and heating.
Dats my bike :-) But with the blue trim. While I think it's a cool looking bike, I would bet it has no aero advantage over yours.

That's.....almost.... my bike  

I luv my BMC

2014-10-25 3:45 PM

Master
, California

I've been out in Maryland the last couple days. U.S. Naval Academy 20th reunion. I missed this area - should really get back a bit more often. Anyhow, it has been beautiful and sunny - certainly a nice break from Seattle right now.Once I get home, it will be back to biking with consistency. I really was not on my game on the bike this year. I want to get the power progressing in the right direction again.I was happy with my swim though. I've chipped away at it since my PE and have taken 15min off my IM swim since that happened.
2014-10-25 4:23 PM
in reply to: spudone

First CX race today. Had a blast. 50 minutes of pure suffering. My mounts and runs were pretty good for my first time actually running over barriers but man my legs turned into jello pretty quick. Pretty simple course so nothing super technical. We got 25 people to show up which I hear is the most in recent years. I think I came in somewhere around 10th...but nobody was really keeping track as it was an unofficial race. Next one in 2 weeks.
2014-10-25 5:26 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag In other SBR equipment news :-)...I sold my Powertap wheel. I had it on my road bike and my Quarq on my tri bike I may try a Vector S and see if I like that The pain cave is progressing. I have electricity and heating.

My PT will be up for sale soon.  I'm happy with the P2Max so far and the first time I swapped it from my road bike to the tri bike took 3.5 mins and I'm sure I could do it in half that time with some practice.  Actually, that was the first successful swap - the first attempt included a stripped crankbolt, some cursing and a visit to the LBS....

Marc it's interesting that you are considering the Vector S when you seemed so against Stages.  Is that purely to see if you like the Vector and you would go with both pedals if you like it?

2014-10-25 5:33 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

IN other news, I did 12x100 on 1:30 today (in at 1:17-1:22).

My real limiter is very, very poor flip turns. The swimming part is actually pretty god right now... just not the walls.

Fred, those are some pretty good 100s if your turns are that bad! Keep working on them, they can be worth a lot of time.

2014-10-25 5:45 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa
Marc it's interesting that you are considering the Vector S when you seemed so against Stages.  Is that purely to see if you like the Vector and you would go with both pedals if you like it?

The only reason I would go with it is the possibility to upgrade to two side if the discrepencies are too large. I would have it along with my Quarq which would be my "go to" PM.

My LBS has a 30 day return policy so I would try it, if too off, return it. If good enough for some applications, then keep it with the possibility of eventually upgrading.
2014-10-25 6:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

My PT will be up for sale soon.  I'm happy with the P2Max so far and the first time I swapped it from my road bike to the tri bike took 3.5 mins and I'm sure I could do it in half that time with some practice.  Actually, that was the first successful swap - the first attempt included a stripped crankbolt, some cursing and a visit to the LBS....

Yeah, the cranks are really easy to swap around once you get a few things set up. Like the bottom bracket or using the same rings so no FD adjusting. Had a good deal of practice this year with the bike build/rebuild going on. Plus some extras with some goofs. Like whoops the chain, or whoops the spacer thing.  Half that time sounds very reasonable pretty quickly!

2014-10-25 6:56 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N First CX race today. Had a blast. 50 minutes of pure suffering. My mounts and runs were pretty good for my first time actually running over barriers but man my legs turned into jello pretty quick. Pretty simple course so nothing super technical. We got 25 people to show up which I hear is the most in recent years. I think I came in somewhere around 10th...but nobody was really keeping track as it was an unofficial race. Next one in 2 weeks.

Nice going! Curious if you're counting this as your running work now? 

2014-10-25 7:03 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah, the cranks are really easy to swap around once you get a few things set up. Like the bottom bracket or using the same rings so no FD adjusting. Had a good deal of practice this year with the bike build/rebuild going on. Plus some extras with some goofs. Like whoops the chain, or whoops the spacer thing.  Half that time sounds very reasonable pretty quickly!

Yeah, the initial setup was a bit of a slow process.  Both bikes have the same BB so I was thinking it would be easy peasy.  But then the road bike originally had a standard crankset so I had to adjust the FD for compact and it took me quite a while to get it set properly to give me good shifting.  Then, it turns out that my road bike didn't have a spacer in the BB and as a result, the crankset didn't quite fit properly.  This is what caused my initial problem that involved the stripped bolt and trip to the LBS.  LBS put a spacer in but put it on the drive side and that messed up the chain line and I was getting jumpy shifting.  Finally got the spacer moved over to the non drive side and things are finally good!  The crankset just fit on the P3 with no issues (although I haven't had it outside - just the trainer).

2014-10-26 5:44 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah, the initial setup was a bit of a slow process.  Both bikes have the same BB so I was thinking it would be easy peasy.  But then the road bike originally had a standard crankset so I had to adjust the FD for compact and it took me quite a while to get it set properly to give me good shifting.  Then, it turns out that my road bike didn't have a spacer in the BB and as a result, the crankset didn't quite fit properly.  This is what caused my initial problem that involved the stripped bolt and trip to the LBS.  LBS put a spacer in but put it on the drive side and that messed up the chain line and I was getting jumpy shifting.  Finally got the spacer moved over to the non drive side and things are finally good!  The crankset just fit on the P3 with no issues (although I haven't had it outside - just the trainer).

I am still not 100% sure on the vectors.
My first choice, for reliability would be a Quarq or P2Max.
But the size/transportability of the Vectors is really interesting. With bikes in 3 locations, vectors in a suit case, with little grease involved is most convenient.

But I do have my doubts about Garmin product reliability in general. I will probably buy a 920 for example but only with an extended warranty.
2014-10-26 5:53 AM

Extreme Veteran

Has anyone trained with rollers ? Good/bad ?
2014-10-26 5:56 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag Has anyone trained with rollers ? Good/bad ?

I used to have some.  They were great for working on a smooth pedal stroke and handling but I found it tough to get in a hard interval workout because I was paying more attention to staying upright than hitting a power number.  Maybe with more practice I would have been  able to but I went back to the trainer.

2014-10-26 6:09 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Has anyone trained with rollers ? Good/bad ?

I used to have some.  They were great for working on a smooth pedal stroke and handling but I found it tough to get in a hard interval workout because I was paying more attention to staying upright than hitting a power number.  Maybe with more practice I would have been  able to but I went back to the trainer.

Do you think you could have rode them in aero ?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37229 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72645 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.