BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-09-10 3:56 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed
Detroit will do that to people. The place has claimed many victims.

2014-09-10 3:59 PM

User image

Just checking in. haven't done any training in a week as I'm nursing something in the hip. It's muscular I think, and maybe IT Band. It seems to be healing even avoiding the doctor. Might do an easy run in the AM.
2014-09-11 4:44 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Detroit will do that to people. The place has claimed many victims.

Jesse finished in the middle of the pack in detroit. He was one of the last guys out of the water but made up ground on the bike and run. I texted him a while back and they averaged over 27mph on the bike and we all know he runs well.

I know his seasons over so I don't know if he'll pop back on here or not. Last season, as year-end he laid low until the next season.

Seth I hope the hip heals on its own. I'm pretty happy to be pretty much injury free the last two seasons. I've got an Oly this weekend that I don't want to do (again). Not real motivated. I don't like the race organizer, but I got free entry from an earlier race (5150) so I'm doing it as a long training day. After that I'll go strong one more week and then start tapering for 70.3.

These are long days. The daylight is shorter and my longer runs and bikes are harder and harder to fit in before work. This weeks long run was 12 and next week will be 13.5. There is something somewhat fulfilling about completing a half-marathon before going into work at 7:30. However, I run out of gas pretty early and am falling asleep real early. Two more weeks of the grind.
2014-09-12 10:15 AM

Union, Kentucky
I applaud you for keeping as motivated as you have been for this long. It's not easy.

I'm certainly having motivational issues, mostly just losing interest in the swimming lately. I've had a harder time getting to the pool in general. I'm still doing ok for the most part on keeping with the running (although I need to be better about getting some longer ones on the weekend), and I'm actually more motivated on the cycling. This weekend is supposed to be sunny and around 70, so that will help my motivation a lot. I'm most comfortable in the 50-75 degree range.

Part of my lack of motivation is probably due to not having any race immediately on the horizon- some family obligations kept me from anything in September, and the calendar for triathlon is pretty well done after that here. So I'm sort of moving towards an off season, which for me will probably be running through the winter as long as it's not icy, biking if it's 40 degrees or more, etc. Just curious, but do any of you have a set off season routine?
2014-09-12 1:49 PM
in reply to: Spillicus

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Spillicus

I applaud you for keeping as motivated as you have been for this long. It's not easy.

I'm certainly having motivational issues, mostly just losing interest in the swimming lately. I've had a harder time getting to the pool in general. I'm still doing ok for the most part on keeping with the running (although I need to be better about getting some longer ones on the weekend), and I'm actually more motivated on the cycling. This weekend is supposed to be sunny and around 70, so that will help my motivation a lot. I'm most comfortable in the 50-75 degree range.

Part of my lack of motivation is probably due to not having any race immediately on the horizon- some family obligations kept me from anything in September, and the calendar for triathlon is pretty well done after that here. So I'm sort of moving towards an off season, which for me will probably be running through the winter as long as it's not icy, biking if it's 40 degrees or more, etc. Just curious, but do any of you have a set off season routine?

Believe me, I have plenty of trouble with motivation. That is the reason that I've raced so much the past couple of years. If I don't have a race on my calendar, I have a tendency to let up.

A turning point for me was last season (about 1.5 years into my triathlon "career".) I had a race in mid-June and then another in late-June. I went into that second race thinking I was ready, because I had just raced two weeks before. I sort of spent a week recovering, and then a week "tapering". Ha ha. Anyhow, the race just didn't turn out the way I wanted. I was so disgusted with myself because I wasn't making progress the way that I had hoped (the course was very very tough, but that was secondary in my mind). As I was driving home from St. Louis, I decided in my mind that I would not let that happen again (go into a race so lazy and unprepared) and I knew I needed to get more structured. The only way I knew to do it was to get on a program so I upgraded to one of the plans here on BT (this is not a commercial for the paid features of BeginnerTriathlete.com!). I did this, because I need to have a set training plan that would fit with my upcoming races.

When I first started getting in shape (a few years before triathlon) I got "on the boat" with programs like P90x and then other (Insanity, RushFit, etc). The reason P90x worked for me was that it was a set routine laid out for me. All I had to do was follow the calendar each day and do exactly what it said. If I missed a day (I didn't) I felt terrible and I hated the thought of not seeing an "X" on the calendar.

Once I got on the training plan, it's made it a whole lot easier to stay on track, not get burnt out, and make sure I don't slack off. I log my workouts, because if I don't do them, I have to account for it (by not logging it, seeing it not show up in my weekly totals, etc). Having a race on calendar and an associated plan keeps me going.

After the season is over, I'll take a little time off and then I'll find some sort of event to sign on for and put together another plan. I'm a slow runner, so last year my focus was to improve that area. I did a half marathon and spent the winter running alot. I signed up for an early season 70.3 which required me to start my training plan really early in the year and also ensured I had some run fitness, which was lacking. It's really helped. I haven't nailed down winter plans, but I'll likely do something similar.
2014-09-16 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4998443

User image

, Vermont
Hello! Well I finally got back in the pool after just over 2 weeks off (I did have a short 2 mile run on Sunday). It felt good to do something again. I'm hoping weather will cooperate for a ride tomorrow - need to see if I remember how to ride my bike!
I've debated as to whether I am going to do a half marathon the third week of October but honestly I'm not feeling motivated for it. I haven't been running like I usually do but that would be the point in signing up for it - to get my butt in gear! LOL.
I'm thinking about doing Parisi workouts but am leaning toward a climbing gym membership instead (weighing cost and I certainly can't do both!). Has anyone tried Parisi or know anyone who has? Just curious. I'd like to do just a 6 week plan, that helps with the cost a bit.
Anyway, I need to catch up with everyone but it's midnight and the clock is tolling.
Night all!

2014-09-26 6:59 PM

Union, Kentucky
If I remember right it's your 70.3 this weekend, so good luck and let us know how it goes!

Kinda quiet on here now....
2014-09-27 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
next weekend! i'm officially tapering!! zzzzzzz! : )
2014-09-28 7:21 AM
in reply to: #5051141

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Is everyone done racing for the season? What off season plan have you come up with? Any running events?

2014-09-28 9:58 PM

Union, Kentucky
Yes, done. Except for a 5k that I'll run/walk with my family, and with my 5 and 7 year old kids it obviously won't be for speed. It's one of those color run kind of things, and will be on a NASCAR track near me (Kentucky Speedway), so that should be interesting. I'm just hoping my wife is doing ok by then, as she tore a calf muscle last week at one of those boot camp fitness classes. She's terrible about letting things heal, so we'll see.

I'll keep riding as long as it's above freezing, and I'll work on getting my running distance back up. I'd been slacking on that but ran 10k yesterday and it went pretty well. When I started working on running this year it was late February and frigid out and I managed, so my intent is to run through the winter. I'll get back to 7-8 miles pretty easily, if I'm feeling ambitious maybe I'll find an early season half marathon. We'll see, I've never run that far.

My kids just had their last swimming lesson this week, but I was chatting up their teacher and it turns out she is considering running a triathlon, but the bike part freaks her out a little. But there is a group that does a monthly splash and dash sort of thing so she said she'd let me know when the next one is (she also works with my wife, so it's easy to find each other). I guess they do 1500 yards or so. If I can work on that a bit, maybe I'll shoot for an olympic next year. I just cranked out the bike and run part this weekend after all.

Anybody else have a plan?
2014-09-29 9:49 PM

User image

, Vermont
I'm going to try a TFW class tomorrow (training for warriors through Parisi) - a friend teaches it. If I like it I may do a month to 6 weeks maybe twice a week. It's pretty expensive and I already have a gym membership so maybe I'll learn some new tricks I can do on my own in the gym or at home. Having someone bark at you definitely helps me try harder.
I'm also thinking I'll join a master's swim program - or at least keep up the distances I've been swimming in the pool on longer days (2500 yds) and increasing that through the winter.
I'll bike until we freeze (in VT that won't be too much longer...) then I have an indoor trainer and maybe I'll hit a spin class once a week - to get barked at some more. LOL
Lifting weights will have to come into play and definitely a focus on core work - ugh. Yoga too.

I don't have any races planned right now - the kids' sports take up every weekend. I finally had a half Mary planned but it's literally the first weekend we don't have any sports so my other half is kind of wanting us to hang at the house (well we have house work, leaves, winterizing, etc). There are more on the horizon! Turkey Trots and Zombie and Santa runs are in the near future!

2014-10-01 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Well this has not been a good taper week thus far....depending on how you look at it.

I planned Monday as a rest day and then light duty the rest of the week.

Monday night - our KC Chiefs crushed the Patriots on MNF. That turned into a late night for me, so it was all-too easy to sleep in on Tuesday vs. a 4 mile run.

Tuesday night - our KC Royals were in the playoffs for the 1st time in 30 some years and it turned into the craziest baseball game I've ever seen. Once again, it turns out to be a really late night and I had to sleep in to even get 6 hours.

Let's hope tonight goes better. At least these crazy sports are over....until Thursday night (when the playoffs resume).
2014-10-01 8:51 PM

User image

, Vermont
My cousin was at that game!
Heck, taper is taper, don't let it get you down - you have to enjoy those other bits of life too! As you said...30 years.
2014-10-01 8:55 PM

User image

, Vermont
Tried the Training for Warriors yesterday....I am sore.... push-ups, burpees, mountain climbers, high knee sprints, core stuff. I am sore. I started taking a protein supplement - Pea Protein by Pure Vegan.
Did I mention I'm sore. Ouch. Clearly I need work here, and here, and here.
I don't know if I'll stick with TFW - very pricey and I'd rather rock climb, but I had a nice serving of humble pie. I look forward to working out some more!
2014-10-02 9:17 PM

Union, Kentucky
I keep finding myself rooting for the Chiefs lately. My 2 years in grad school at Utah were when Alex Smith was the QB, so I sorta wish him well. It's doubly nice when they beat the Patriots

"Training for Warriors" does sound intense, no wonder you're sore! I know a number of people who are doing Crossfit or boot camp type workouts and seem to like the results. I'm not much of a group exercise person myself so I haven't tried those, but I do wonder if something for upper body strength would be good.

I took both kids on my run today. They rode their bikes, and I'd done that plenty with my son before but this was the first time with my 5 year old daughter. She did really well and seemed to enjoy it. Now I just need to get my wife on a bike for some family group rides.

2014-10-06 4:20 PM

User image

, Vermont
Getting the family involved is soooooo key. My boys aren't too into it yet - they do occasionally ride with me while I run but I think that now that they both have newer, bigger bikes they'll start to get into it. My husband has been half supportive - he hurt his back last February so for much of the summer he was not happy that i could work out and he couldn't. After going to the Oly I did on his birthday he gave me the best compliment from him I've ever received - he said I am "definitely the pioneer of the family, I'm not afraid to try anything and it inevitably pulls the rest of the family into it." He is now very interested in doing a sprint distance next summer (possibly an Oly). Yea!!

TFW kicked my butt - though it's nothing you couldn't do on your own. I went rock climbing the next day and just bouldering around and traversing was a fantastic workout. Mountain biking and kayaking on Friday rounded out the week. I went to bike yesterday and came out to a flat tire. so I went to a spin class instead. For probably 45 minutes our butts never touched the saddle - my quads are screaming. Tire is fixed so I can't wait to get a few more days in before everything freezes over for the winter. (skiis are tuned...)

(kayaking with pale ale - Copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
kayaking with pale ale - Copy.jpg (26KB - 5 downloads)

2014-10-07 9:52 AM

Union, Kentucky
Rock climbing, kayaking, skiing, triathlon- you're quite the outdoor enthusiast. Don't be too hard on your husband, I'm sure most men would have trouble keeping up.

I tried kayaking a little in college- at the time I lived in Utah so it was mostly river kayaking so knowing how to roll was important and I couldn't ever get the hang of it. Meanwhile my instructor could hold a beer, roll over and put the beer on the bottom of the boat, open the bear while upside down, and then roll back over without spilling a drop. It was pretty impressive. I do miss living out there for the skiing, I was able to get a student deal on a season pass at Park City for $250, so I would go to class in the mornings, ski in the afternoon, and work in the evenings. What a life!

How old are your boys? I think I was about 10 when I got really into cycling, doing longer rides on busier roads. I'm hoping my kids might be interested when they get a little older.
2014-10-07 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Here's a "brief" race report I posted on FB. I'll post more later this week. I picked up a cold over the weekend (it was just starting on race day) and am sick as a dog now. Ugh.

"Ok here's my brief race report. The water was freaking cold. Reports are 58 degrees. Goggle malfunction caused my left side to fill with water and it felt like my eyeball was frozen. Pretty tough to swim when I basically couldn't feel my body. The bike was pretty nice except the constant stream of snot streaming (thanks cold weather and Lucas for the cold I've been developing). I think I may have cooked my legs a bit on the bike especially after I nearly wrecked. But I passed lots of people while the Rocky IV soundtrack looped in my head. I started out on the run way too quick. I tried to slow myself down but didn't manage my pace well and faded very very badly. My last 4 miles I probably lost 10 minutes. Overall, I finished in 5:47 bettering my first 70.3 time by about 12 minutes. 13/41 in my AG which is not bad for me. After the race I retired from Triathlon forever."
2014-10-07 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Oh yea. And my name came up in the Alcatraz lottery.
2014-10-08 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by dprocket Oh yea. And my name came up in the Alcatraz lottery.

Well congrats on Alcatraz.  Sounds like a short retirement for you! 

2014-10-08 9:14 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

, Vermont
I'm with Chris, that's awesome!! You can't not do it. (there's a double negative for you..)

THE GARMIN 920XT IS OUT!!!! I'M LOOKING AT IT ONLINE RIGHT NOW!!! it's the same price that the 910xt was! I'm surprised a bit! Now I have to see what kinds of deals are out there for the 910xt tri bundle!! Ooooooooohhhhhhh.......getting closer!! LOL

2014-10-08 9:26 AM

User image

, Vermont
Crap, with the tri bundle it's a bit more.. the 910xt tri bundle is still the same (on this particular website I'm looking at). Hhmmm. Time to start looking around - a distraction for the day (that I can't afford).

On a strange sidenote - I'm doing a tv taping for PBS tonight - I've never been on TV (except in a crowd in Rockefeller Center LOL). What's the trick - picture everyone naked, right? LOL
2014-10-09 2:05 PM

User image

, Vermont
So to get my butt back on some kind of track, I'm doing the 28 workout challenge again for October.

4/28 with a 3 mile run today. Trying to put some kind of "workout plan" together for the next few months to stay on track. Looking to swim Tues/Thurs, bike or spin 2x's a week, and get 2-3 runs in there too and some kind of weight training.
I'm loving the vanilla Pea Protein I picked up from Pure Vegan - tastes like cake batter with almond milk and half a banana mixed in. Strange that I'm dropping weight and I know i'm not working out harder than the summer. We'll see if this protein kicks in and does its thing! I need strength.
2014-10-09 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Spillicus

Rock climbing, kayaking, skiing, triathlon- you're quite the outdoor enthusiast. Don't be too hard on your husband, I'm sure most men would have trouble keeping up.

I tried kayaking a little in college- at the time I lived in Utah so it was mostly river kayaking so knowing how to roll was important and I couldn't ever get the hang of it. Meanwhile my instructor could hold a beer, roll over and put the beer on the bottom of the boat, open the bear while upside down, and then roll back over without spilling a drop. It was pretty impressive. I do miss living out there for the skiing, I was able to get a student deal on a season pass at Park City for $250, so I would go to class in the mornings, ski in the afternoon, and work in the evenings. What a life!

How old are your boys? I think I was about 10 when I got really into cycling, doing longer rides on busier roads. I'm hoping my kids might be interested when they get a little older.
[/QUOTE}

Haha! Don't worry, I'm easy on the man! LOL. Fortunately for him I love to fly fish too (and I drag him for the occasional hike).
The boys are 7 & 9 (2nd & 4th grades). I'll get them riding more next summer, they'll fit their bikes a little better too.

Hey, if any of you have daughters, PBS is doing a wonderful series called "Makers: Women Who Make America." There are six in a series of varying topics: Women in Politics, Women in Space, Women in Comedy, Women in Music, Women in the Military, and I'm blanking on the last one. (maybe Women in Sports?). Anyway, it's a wonderful series to encourage girls to look beyond the "normal girl jobs" if you will, to let girls know of many more options where there are few women . You can usually Google it through your local PBS station. I just sat on a panel last night after a public viewing of Women in Space to discuss how it relates to my particular field (pilot). It was really nice to see a few girls in the audience and the excited looks on their faces..."maybe someday I can be an astronaut or engineer." I just wanted to throw that out there for folks of daughters.

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-10-09 2:16 PM
2014-10-09 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Pretty cool about the PBS special, Jen. Is that nationally broadcasted? My daughter is almost 4, so I doubt it's of interest to her yet.

I have never done TFW, but it sounds cool. Personally, I hate gyms and can't see myself ever going but the workout itself sounds pretty interesting.

I think I've mentioned before...I used to do alot of those DVD based programs like P90x. One of them, called RushFit is a program by former MMA fighter Georges St. Pierre. It's a pretty cool program that focuses on total body workout over the course of 30 minutes. You guys all out pretty outdoorsy though, so I'm not sure being locked in the basement working out would be your thing.

Jenn, my wife has been on me about putting together her offseason schedule. Her last races was mid-Sept and she's starting to feel a little blah after "resting up". I'm taking about 2 weeks off, maybe a little longer. I started the season early in the year and have been pretty sick since Monday...so I'm not counting my sick days as "rest days".

After that, I'll figure out what I'm doing. It looks like my 2015 race schedule is already starting to take shape....currently I'm thinking of something like this:

Kansas City Triathlon - May (Olympic)
Escape from Alcatraz - June (funny distance)
5150 qualification race - Olympic....date not set
Possibly 5150 championship if I qualify (Sept)
Then possibly 70.3 again in early Oct.

That will be fewer races, but the Alcatraz race will be VERY expensive so I probably need to ratchet it back a bit. This year I did so many events. I'd love to do Chicago again but travelling with the family and racing is always so stressful. It always seems like a good idea at the time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2007
author : NDeBoom
comments : 1
Our members chat with Nicole DeBoom on Ironman nutrition strategy, Ironman training philosophy, off-season focus, her 'secret' IM food, favorite races, and her new clothing line and race series.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.