BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-07-28 8:49 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hahahaha! I didn't even think about that. It was still set up easy for my transition! Love my bike.

A small group of us are going to "do" the race on Wednesday to earn our stripes. I have the ability to schedule more races, they don't as they were all to be in the kayaker division; less options for them.
I'll let you know what I can get in. Working out a reasonable program for an Oly in 4 1/2 weeks based on what I've done. That may end up being my first race, though I'd prefer to get a sprint or two under my belt to iron out transitions. I am hyper competitive with myself so I'd have a hard time going out and doing something "just for fun." LOL

Today I'm thinking of heading to the pool and motoring for a longer swim (maybe 2,500-3,000 yds). Weather is still garbage here - pouring right now so no biking except on the trainer. Maybe a run later - time to start making them longer!
Cheers! I hope everyone's training is going well!
Best,
Jenn

I was joking, but that actually brings up a good point....it's a good idea to make sure you're in the little ring coming out of transition (looks like you already planned on that). I don't know if you band your shoes to your pedals, but the small chain ring will allow you to be able to get moving pretty easy regardless of what the bike-out looks like (if it's a hill, if there is traffic, etc).

As far as transitions go, you can provide entertainment for your neighbors by practicing at home in your driveway. Much of this depends on what you're doing with your shoes and socks. I actually don't race in socks at all anymore for any distance under 70.3, and that can save you a ton of time. Banding the shoes is also something that will save you time too in transition. Since I'm not really fast in any of the 3 sports, I find I can make up some time by being quick in transition.

2014-07-28 10:35 AM
in reply to: dprocket

Union, Kentucky
Back from vacation! It was nice to have a week off to sit on the beach. I did manage to get in 2 runs, and I limited the damage to about 3 pounds gained, so from the fitness perspective not too horrible.

July in general though was pretty bad; just 1 ride so far, a handful of runs and while I swam quite a bit it usually was more of a casual thing. This week my goal will be to get in at least 2 rides, 2 runs and a swim. It's gonna hurt!

Weather this week looks to be in the 70s, so that will help. And I'm done travelling for a little while, thankfully.

Jen, nice bike! I'm still riding my 20 year old one, but looking to hopefully get something new in the next year or two. A Felt looks like a good option, glad to hear you like yours.
2014-07-28 1:32 PM
in reply to: Spillicus

User image

, Vermont
26/28 with a 2300 yd swim (didn't have time to get in anymore). (lots of tears to hide after the cancellation hahaha). Great swim, feel really good and strong and happily fatigued.

400 warm-up (200 free, 100 back, 100 breast),
500 free,
100 kick,
100 free,
100 pull,
500 free,
10 x 50 sprints at 45 sec with 10-15 sec rests,
100 free cool-down.

I'm going to research a little closer what to expect for the Oly on August 30th I'm thinking about doing and may take a drive down for a week (my inlaws live in Glens Falls, NY next to Lake George) and ride/run the route until I know it. I may even see if I can hook up with their triathlon club for a week and tag along. They seem friendly on their website.

Cheers!

Felt makes a nice product. The folks on our local racing team all ride Felts - definitely give them a look. Mine is a 2012 F5. There are of course better and crazy expensive models but I am just getting into it so this was perfect for me.
2014-07-28 4:35 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
I"m alive and still around I promise. Been planning to get on most days I remember during training, then by the time I get home my mind has wandered off. Busy busy busy, but I'm sure you all understand that.

Seth, great race report. Tell that lifeguard to "get out the way" (just a little bit of ghetto in me coming out there). Race day is a whole different animal compared to training, but its also good to get a judge of where you are fitness wise and sometimes races are the best way to go about doing that. Consistency over time is the key to improvement so even if you just went 2 days a week swimming and only added another 1000 meters(yards, whichever you're doing) that's going to be another 4k per month, or 48k per year. It can mean big gains in terms of overall fitness keeping up with even small changes like that.

Jenn - Your race morning sounds pretty much exactly like the sprint tri I had planned a few weeks ago like David mentioned. Pretty much everything was behind schedule for me and not going my way that morning and it culminated in 1.5 hours of delay time then cancellation.

Andrew - Great to hear you didn't gain too many pounds, ha. Everyone needs downtime from regular life on occasion so I'm glad you got to get that in.

David does make a good point with the transition times. It's definitely the 4th discipline. We can work the math, but the basics of it for anyone new to transition is that say for an average size race (200-300 racers) and a clean transition area I'll go through t1 or t2 (no wetsuit in t1) in 40-50 seconds. Can't be done much faster than that unless you're sprinting and that's just silly. New racers to the sport will often sit down, wipe feet, take a breather, etc. and transition in 2-2:30. If you're just out to get your first one in, its not necessarily bad, but there's a huge non-fitness related gain to be made through proper preparation.

Basically if you set up transition as efficiently as possible and get your transition time down to even 1 minute, that's 1 minute you don't have to try and shave off your weakest discipline. No matter what distance you're racing at this stage of the game, 1 minute is huuuuuge.

I had intended to get together with David to make a transition skills video for the group. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen at this rate. Luckily, the youtubes is full of transition skills videos it just won't have David and I goofing around in it.
2014-07-29 7:20 PM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Yep, definitely wiped my feet. Was easier to get my socks on for the bike.

Hi all!
I've been kinda MIA since my race. I had terrible back pain post-race, probably from the bike position for longer than I'd ever written before. That, and the exhaustion finally subsided by Wednesday. I got back on the bike on Thursday for a fairly easy spin followed by 750 yard swim on Friday. Wife was at a bachelorette party all weekend so I was single parenting all weekend so no workouts. I was tempted to drag the trainer and bike in from the garage once my son went to sleep, but by 7pm the wine was calling instead.

So far this week I got in a hard 4.1 mile run on Monday and cadence drills on the bike this morning. Tomorrow will be a tempo run followed by bike on Thursday, probably.

I don't think I posted this previously, but I was able to move my August 24th race from the Olympic to the Sprint Distancec. It's the tri rock Asbury Park race. COnsidering how bad the swim went last week, I don't feel comfortable doing a 1500 yard ocean swim. There's always next year!

I'm now considering doing another 1/2 marathon in late October. It's fairly inexpensive and I think I can dedicate the necessary training time.

Jenn- that sux about your race. From people I was following on twitter/FB, Lake Placid was rough. They ended up canceling the second lap of the swim, and one guy got caught in some bad storms on the bike. It was his first full iron distance and he really considered DNFing; but he did finish.
2014-07-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: sethjk

User image

, Vermont
Okay, so 29/28 today with my "make up" tri! We couldn't really do proper transitions and had to drive a mile from the swim area to the bike area but I did three in a row.

For the swim I ended up doing about 3/4 mile, not the original 1/2 so that skews it a bit. I completely forgot to check my start time. The water was nice but the air was 50 degrees and fog was hanging on the water - cool yet eerie. The swim is quickly becoming my favorite to prep for.

Bike: a friend mapped out a 12 mile ride but Strava is telling me it was 11.8 so there you go. Her GPS said 12. Anyway 41:36 for that with 4 stops for traffic lights and a slow down for construction. I would comfortably take almost 5 minutes off my time to make it accurate. That being said, it took me 4 or 5 miles to really warm up. The first few miles my legs felt like lead. I had to wait almost an hour between the swim and bike as my friends were kayaking so I froze even with fleece on. My left toes had zero feeling in them at the start of the bike and by the end my right toes had little feeling. I ate 4 honey stingers en route but zero hydration (slap me now). I really need to focus on this particularly if I decide to pursue an Oly on Aug 30. I recognize the waiting around and chilling sapped some energy.

Run: the route we choose starts off uphill, small dip then more uphill for 1 1/2 miles. It felt like we had a good clip going. About 3/4 mile from the end my left quad just above my knee sort of seized up - never had that happen before (perhaps a product of not hydrating on the ride). I pressed on. It hurt pretty good but I'm sure it affected my time. I walked a 1/4 mile after and it felt fine to walk on so I'm going to roll and ice like it's my job tonight. I finished that in 26:10 which I should be happy with but really wanted 8 min/miles in a non-competitive setting, hoping to go sub 8 in a race. I'll take it - it's the first time I've done all three, one right after the other.

So that's my "make up" sprint tri. Tonight I'll enjoy a Switchback IPA.

Cheers,
Jenn

2014-07-30 11:33 AM

User image

, Vermont
Yeah, Seth, the IMLP was rough I saw on the news, I know it was horrible here. A friend of a friend was pulled with about 10 minutes left in her swim due to lightning. She continued on and finished the bike and run but geesh, what a bummer to miss that little segment.

Some guy did the whole thing again the next day to raise money for Team in Training - yes, 2 in 2 days. I will tell you it rained continuously and hard on Monday. He finished and last I knew had raised over 20k on his Team in Training page. He earned it!!!

It has hardly rained here the whole month of July and it just opened up the last two days. We were due - too bad it was on the day of my race. They are refunding the bulk or our entry fee which is unheard of - just keeping $20 for their costs. I'll be back next year.
2014-07-31 7:40 AM

Union, Kentucky
Jenn- nice job getting to the goal for workouts this month, with a couple of days to spare.

I'm finally getting a week here of a good training habit- I ran Monday and yesterday and rode Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday were short (2 mile run, 7 mile bike) since I had basically no time but at least I got something in. Yesterday's run was a bit better at 3.6 miles. Today the kids having swimming lessons so I'll hit the pool, then probably rest tomorrow and long run and long ride this weekend, I'm thinking 10k run and 20 mile ride. Maybe I'll ride 24 and call it a split olympic! Weather should be pretty nice, as it has been all week, so I'd better take advantage.

Time to start looking at the race calendar to see if I can find a September race to run, I could use a motivator.
2014-07-31 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Seth - first of all, congratulations (again) on the finish.

Don't feel back about being exhausted after that race. I remember after my first race, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck (still do to a certain extent). Recovery is a fact of life. One thing that I have noticed is that as my fitness improved, even though my times weren't getting that much better, my ability to recover (move) happened much quicker. Recovery is always needed, but as you stick with it you'll notice your body heals faster and you'll be back on the horse more quickly.

As far as changing your race distance to a sprint...I've never done an ocean swim race and so I would have to agree that it may make sense to hold off until you're more comfortable in the water.

Jenn - good job on the "make up tri". I have to admit, I'm eager for you to get out there and race for real. you seem to be someone that will excel once you get into it.

That's pretty cool about the guy doing the 70.3 two days in a row. I'm a big fan and supporter of TNT (I've done two tri's with them and always race in the TNT kit).
2014-07-31 10:40 PM

User image

, Vermont
Well Dave, I just entered a sprint tri for August 10th so we'll see how it goes!! Unfortunately I'll be driving there on the way home from vacation so I will have had negligible sleep for a week but I just want to see how it all works to see if I can manage an Oly at the end of August! I won't be too competitive but that's okay - I need a base number to start from and just some kind of experience. It will be all good...praying for decent weather - dry anyway. LOL oh, and no lightning!

Okay, question for everyone. I'm looking into getting a cycling computer - eyeballing the Garmin 500 or 510. I don't have a HRM yet so I'm looking to bundle as well maybe (cadence also). I know many of you have experience - things you like/dislike about what you've used or friends have used and I'd like to pick your brains a little on the toys available out there. I can read all day long but it's nice to learn from people's practical experience. I do also like Strava but I can download my data to Strava so that shouldn't be an issue.
Go!

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-08-01 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Okay, question for everyone. I'm looking into getting a cycling computer - eyeballing the Garmin 500 or 510. I don't have a HRM yet so I'm looking to bundle as well maybe (cadence also). I know many of you have experience - things you like/dislike about what you've used or friends have used and I'd like to pick your brains a little on the toys available out there. I can read all day long but it's nice to learn from people's practical experience. I do also like Strava but I can download my data to Strava so that shouldn't be an issue.
Go!

Cheers,
Jenn

Really, there's a couple of different ways you can go. You can do the cycle computer thing (like the 510) or you can get a "do it all" triathlon watch. Some of the options are the Garmin 910XT, (brand new) Polar v800. I personally have a Timex Global Trainer. It is capable, but dated and probably way too bulky for 99% of the world.

These triathlon watches can act as a "head" unit for your cycling. It will show you your speed, cadence and heart rate. If you're not using a power meter, honestly I don't find any of these metrics to be too helpful for me when I'm cycling on the road. I have a pretty good feel for my cadence on my own (mainly because I ride so much on the trainer so much...more on that below). Some people train/race using Heart Rate data, however I find HR to be a lagging indicator on the bike. Typically, your heart rate spike/drop trails quite a bit from what you're actually doing on the bike. So, for instance if you're climbing a hill and your heart rate spikes, typically by the time you see it on your computer, you're already out of the saddle mashing the pedals and it's too late to slow it down. It's better than nothing, but I found it to be less than helpful for racing.

Since I do so much bike training indoors, I use TrainerRoad. This uses the Speed/cadence sensor on the bike and a laptop/computer as a head unit to provide virtual power, heart rate, cadence, etc. I find all this data VERY helpful for my trainer sessions.

So, for me...I haven't had a great use for a cycling specific computer. I plan to add a power meter this year (for next season) and may re-think this at that point. Even then, a true triathlon watch will provide this info as well.

Currently, the Garmin 910XT is the most proven product out there. A little birdie told me that this fall a next gen to the 910 will be coming out. Another one to keep an eye on is the Polar V800. I *really* like this watch however there are some features that have been promised on it that are not yet live. Both of these watches provide some interesting swim metrics that may be helpful, such as a "swim golf" score to measure your stroke efficiency.

2014-08-01 11:33 AM

Union, Kentucky
Jenn, good luck with the race.

When I started getting back into cycling I was just using my iphone with Strava as the bike computer. If you want to do things on the cheap, it's a pretty good way to go, and you can get a bluetooth speed/cadence sensor for about $60 (I have the Wahoo Blue SC and it works great). I also added a Bluetooth HRM to track heart rate, and I also use that for running. As far as displaying the data, you can then just get a phone case for your bike and mount it on the handlebars and use any number of apps to display data from the sensors and GPS while you ride. It's a little bulky though so I also bought a Wahoo RFLKT, which runs about $100 and serves as a second screen you can setup to display the sensor data on, and it's not nearly as bulky and waterproof. I then just stash the phone in my saddle bag, and since the display stays off the iphone battery lasts longer than I will. I think these all work with some android phones too but support is a little less consistent so if that's what you use, it would be good to double check that it has Bluetooth 4.0 support, which you need for using bluetooth low energy devices like sensors and the RFLKT. You can also use the RFLKT with the Strava app but I tend to use the Wahoo Fitness one since it allows you to customize the display more.

I've been very happy with it and it's less than half the price of the Garmin. Since I take the iphone with me on rides anyway and it just sits in the saddle bag, it's also a very lightweight solution. I use the HRM and a bluetooth enabled watch while running too, and while it works well it's not quite as unobtrusive to have the phone while running. For this reason I might be tempted to get a watch like Dave mentioned but I'm kind of waiting to see how that market plays out so it won't be this year. The Polar V800 and an upcoming Suunto watch also interface with bluetooth sensors so I could use the sensors I already own with either of those. I end up with a slightly opposite problem relative to using the phone though, in that I'd be better off for running because I wouldn't need to carry the phone, but just using a watch for the bike wouldn't be as nice as having the RFLKT mounted on my handlebars- maybe someone will figure out how to get the polar or suunto watches to use the RFLKT as a bike display. I'm still waiting for that perfect solution. At least for racing and brick workouts- for individual runs or rides it's not that big of a deal.

The Garmin 910xt looks like a good option as you can get a quick release mount and move from handlebars; I'd avoided a garmin in part because of cost, but also because their products don't use bluetooth sensors, but instead ANT+ ones. We seem to be looking at a fitness device "Betamax vs VHS" situation where the market is dividing between Garmin, with ANT+ sensors, and everyone else moving to Bluetooth. There are some people making sensors that can broadcast on both protocols, but be aware of it and maybe cautious about buying a whole bunch of ANT+ only Garmin gear as you might be stuck with obsolete stuff later.

So, that's probably more than you really wanted, sorry for such a long winded response.....

Just one last point on HR data and cycling- I agree with Dave that it's a bit of a lagging indicator, but I still find it useful, especially when combined with cadence data, on relatively flat ground for determining my level of effort. But I've also found it really useful for comparing one ride to another to track how I'm progressing, where I'll look at speed vs HR on climbs I do regularly to see how it goes on one day versus another. Strava also uses that data to estimate power so you can get at least an estimated power curve without a power meter. It's probably not very accurate but at least it's good for comparison between efforts. And finally HR is the best way to get an estimate of calorie burn which I pass along to the Fitbit app. Using the calorie burn estimate from Fitbit versus my input from tracking food has been effective for me in losing weight.

Andrew
2014-08-01 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Spillicus

Jenn, good luck with the race.

When I started getting back into cycling I was just using my iphone with Strava as the bike computer. If you want to do things on the cheap, it's a pretty good way to go, and you can get a bluetooth speed/cadence sensor for about $60 (I have the Wahoo Blue SC and it works great). I also added a Bluetooth HRM to track heart rate, and I also use that for running. As far as displaying the data, you can then just get a phone case for your bike and mount it on the handlebars and use any number of apps to display data from the sensors and GPS while you ride. It's a little bulky though so I also bought a Wahoo RFLKT, which runs about $100 and serves as a second screen you can setup to display the sensor data on, and it's not nearly as bulky and waterproof. I then just stash the phone in my saddle bag, and since the display stays off the iphone battery lasts longer than I will. I think these all work with some android phones too but support is a little less consistent so if that's what you use, it would be good to double check that it has Bluetooth 4.0 support, which you need for using bluetooth low energy devices like sensors and the RFLKT. You can also use the RFLKT with the Strava app but I tend to use the Wahoo Fitness one since it allows you to customize the display more.

I've been very happy with it and it's less than half the price of the Garmin. Since I take the iphone with me on rides anyway and it just sits in the saddle bag, it's also a very lightweight solution. I use the HRM and a bluetooth enabled watch while running too, and while it works well it's not quite as unobtrusive to have the phone while running. For this reason I might be tempted to get a watch like Dave mentioned but I'm kind of waiting to see how that market plays out so it won't be this year. The Polar V800 and an upcoming Suunto watch also interface with bluetooth sensors so I could use the sensors I already own with either of those. I end up with a slightly opposite problem relative to using the phone though, in that I'd be better off for running because I wouldn't need to carry the phone, but just using a watch for the bike wouldn't be as nice as having the RFLKT mounted on my handlebars- maybe someone will figure out how to get the polar or suunto watches to use the RFLKT as a bike display. I'm still waiting for that perfect solution. At least for racing and brick workouts- for individual runs or rides it's not that big of a deal.

The Garmin 910xt looks like a good option as you can get a quick release mount and move from handlebars; I'd avoided a garmin in part because of cost, but also because their products don't use bluetooth sensors, but instead ANT+ ones. We seem to be looking at a fitness device "Betamax vs VHS" situation where the market is dividing between Garmin, with ANT+ sensors, and everyone else moving to Bluetooth. There are some people making sensors that can broadcast on both protocols, but be aware of it and maybe cautious about buying a whole bunch of ANT+ only Garmin gear as you might be stuck with obsolete stuff later.

So, that's probably more than you really wanted, sorry for such a long winded response.....

Just one last point on HR data and cycling- I agree with Dave that it's a bit of a lagging indicator, but I still find it useful, especially when combined with cadence data, on relatively flat ground for determining my level of effort. But I've also found it really useful for comparing one ride to another to track how I'm progressing, where I'll look at speed vs HR on climbs I do regularly to see how it goes on one day versus another. Strava also uses that data to estimate power so you can get at least an estimated power curve without a power meter. It's probably not very accurate but at least it's good for comparison between efforts. And finally HR is the best way to get an estimate of calorie burn which I pass along to the Fitbit app. Using the calorie burn estimate from Fitbit versus my input from tracking food has been effective for me in losing weight.

Andrew

pretty good summary....

I will note that If I did more of my rides outdoors (versus trainer ) I would likely move to a similar solution to what Andrew does...

Also, good note on the ant+ vs Bluetooth. Polar sort of drew a line in the sand by not offering any support for Ant+ on their new v800. Most of the power meters out there are still on Ant+ but many are adding Bluetooth (such as Stages). I think BT is the future, but as an athlete training *today* I'm also drawn to what I know works today, and not what I hope will work well in the future.
2014-08-01 3:39 PM

User image

Hi Jenn,
I thought I'd chime in here on the computer issue as I'm very much a techie nerd.

First, I'd say definitely check out dcrainmaker.com It's the best web site for very in depth reviews of running/cycling/triathlon products. The writer is a triathlete and a tech guy. it will answer all your questions.

Personally, I'm using a Garmin 310XT. You can currently get them for under $200 with a HRM. The 910 is a little more expensive right now, but not much. I wish I had waited so I could have gotten the 910 as it handles swimming much better than the 310 (which doesn't do indoor swimming at all). There are also newer garmins out there. There is a reason that basically all the pros use these watches. They are tried and true and none of the new advances are that material; though, both are somewhat bulky. I have the ANT+ cadence and speed sensor on my bike. I can also use an app on my android phone (ST UPloader) to use my phone to handle uploading. Correct me if I'm wrong, but garmin has begun adding BT 4.0 into many products, Polar is BT only which should be a major con. (Most manufacturers are actually putting both in their products now)

Jenn, if you're going to keep with the sport, I'd definitely recommend not getting a bike computer, and rather getting a watch. I have the quick release mount for my garmin so it pops on and off my bike with ease (it replaces the wristband that comes with the watch).

On a total side note, I WANT A POWER METER SO BAD!!!! But there's no way I'm selling that expense these days (donations welcome

This was a great week for me, got in 2 bikes and 2 runs. No swim happened today because wife and I had to go to the doctor, for....wait for it...her 3 month ultrasound!!!! Yep, we're due with our 2nd child in February, which is also why I think a 70.3 race in 2015 is going to be delayed until 2016.

I've also begun plotting a 1/2 marathon training plan for a late october race, in Seaside Heights (where the roller coaster was in the water after Hurricane Sandy).

have a great weekend!

2014-08-02 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by sethjk

On a total side note, I WANT A POWER METER SO BAD!!!! But there's no way I'm selling that expense these days (donations welcome

Well Seth, 2014 was " the year of the bike purchase" and I bought my dream bike. I am in a profession where my salary is very back loaded with year-end bonus. So, I got in on a deal for a new bike. I'm pretty certain a PM is my next purchase for this year (spending my money before I actually have it...ha ha). I'm either going to get a Stages or a Power2Max meter. I'm undecided yet, because a) it's a lot of money b) I'm not a wrench, so making sure I get compatible stuff etc is important and confusing to me.

Plus there's the whole Bluetooth and Ant+ debate (Stages supports both, Power2Max is Ant only).

I think I would have to get a new crank, as I have an FSA SL-K Light BB30 carbon crankset now, and neither of these manufacturers have a meter for this specific crank. So, it's a big debate. (Plus, the boss has not signed off on this purchase yet either...but I usually due all my due diligence first before making a recommendation to the purchasing committee). : )

BTW, congrats on the new little one! As a father of 4, I can tell you...the transition from 1-2 is not that big of deal! It seems daunting at first, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Especially if they're the same sex! You can still play man-to-man defense....when you get 3 is when it gets tricky because you have to learn to play zone!

-David
2014-08-02 4:51 PM

Union, Kentucky
Congrats Seth on the second kid! I'd second Dave's opinion on it being less of an adjustment than the first one; I remember being way more antsy to get out of the hospital and just get home then the first one. We're good with 2 though, being outnumbered sounds frightening .

We continue to be lucky with weather here, around 80 with no humidity and a nice breeze, and I'm actually home for a weekend for the first time since my race the least weekend in June. I was able run take a nice 22 mile ride, which went well except on a couple of the steeper climbs where I definitely felt it. I'm convinced the only way to be good at climbs is to do them regularly. Hopefully a longer run tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

2014-08-02 7:03 PM
in reply to: #4998443

User image

, Vermont
Congrats, Seth! We have two...I'm done. They are both boys and a ton of fun!

I'm eyeballing the garmin 900xt to cover the three sports. May as well get one that can do it all. I currently use my android with Strava and actually really like that for biking - I won't carry my phone for running, too big. It would be nice to upload my data to Strava from the gps . Some friends of mine have gone power meter route and are now obsessed with it. I'll have to pick their brains about what they have.
Thank you for the input guys! I have seen the debate between ant+ and Bluetooth. It makes sense that Bluetooth will be the future, but I'm biking now. Argh, tough choice.
Cheers!
2014-08-10 6:51 PM
in reply to: #5034252

User image

, Vermont
First sprint tri complete. After being at camp for the last week and having 3 other families here with 3 crying babies= zero sleep on "vacation" I'll take a 1:26 finish for 3rd in age group. Ironically in the three younger age groups I would have been 1st in age group. LOL. These old ladies are stout!
I'll give a break-down tomorrow when I they post it tomorrow. My transitions were painfully slow and I really crashed on the run - but it's all a learning thing and I certainly didn't go into it under the most ideal situation! Haha
Cheers!
Jenn
2014-08-11 7:14 AM

Union, Kentucky
Congrats Jenn. Bummer about the lack of sleep, I'm sure now you'll be glad to play a little catch up if you can.
I noticed the same thing in the results from my race- the overall winner on the female side was something like 44 years old. Even on the male side 6 of the top 10 were 30+ and one was 55. I hope I can still be competitive at that age.
Looking forward to your race report.

It was certainly a quiet week on the forum. I managed a decent 21 or so mile ride yesterday, despite a little bit of a cold and persistently nasty weather over the weekend. Swampy but I at least didn't get rained on. I sort of planned a route avoiding larger hills, which around here means only 834ft of climbing. Lazy!

Hope you all have a good week.
2014-08-11 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Nice job Jen! Podium on your first tri!

It's been an eventual couple of weeks training wise. I'm plugging along and on Saturday my wife and I did the Rugged Maniac ... one of those obstacle course mud runs. I've done a few of these now and my whole goal is to not blow my knee out again....success. I went into it short 1 miles of running, so I counted it as a training run. This thing was at a ski resort and the hills were unbelievable.
2014-08-11 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Race complete, back home - I'll have a RR up at some point - maybe tonight.
3rd in my age group - came away with a new pint glass which I promptly filled when I got back to camp.
The small of it is this - the race had different distances: 600 yd swim, 14 mile bike with a "class 5" climb, and a 5k run.
My T1 was not great but it's my first time. The 40-44 age group was the largest and apparently most competitive. While I finished 3rd in my age group, I would have taken first in the three younger age groups! LOL These old biddies are tough! I was in the last swim wave (40+ age women) and had the crap kicked out of me! Punched, kicked, etc - pretty surprising for that group I would have thought.
I had been at camp for a week and a half so not sleeping in my own bed for quite some time. We also had 3 other families show up with 3 babies and 2 toddlers - can you say sleepless nights? (and I drank a loooot of beer ) I came into the race with not much expectation but overall I'm glad I sucked it up and did it to finally set some baseline numbers after the other race cancelled two weeks ago. Still contemplating the Oly in 3 weeks.

Swim: 600yd = 11:18
T1 = 1:54
Bike: 14 miles = 46:53 (about 18 mph)
T2 = 1:01
Run: 5k uphill right out of the gate (trying to kill us) = 25:42 (8:14 pace)

Overall time = 1:26:48

Cheers!
Jenn

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-08-11 1:56 PM

2014-08-12 2:46 PM

User image

, Vermont
I finally did a RR. It's great to go through the race and pick out things to work on. I had to laugh that I couldn't get my stinkin' cap off after the swim! What's up with that?? I usually use silicon which pops right off and have done swims practicing with the rubber cap over the silicon one and without the silicon one at all. This time I think half my hair came out! LOL It's never happened before but hey, there's a first time for everything!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-08-12 7:44 PM

User image

I'm Alive!!!! Thanks all for the congrats.
Great job Jenn.
I've been MIA for the past week and a half due to craziness at work and an out of town wedding this past weekend. Subsequently I came down with a bad cold on Friday.

Tomorrow morning will be my first workout since Wednesday. I'll be doing a bike (sprint drill). I have my next sprint race coming up a week from Sunday. I kinda feel like I'll be winging it at this point.
Been great reading everybody's posts the past week.
2014-08-13 8:25 AM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

So how did your race go Jesse?

2014-08-15 2:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Chris thanks for stopping by. I believe Jesse races this weekend.

How is everyone's training going, and since we're on he back half of the season, I'm curious what everyone has planned.

Over the summer, I was able to run an extra 4-5X's per week during my lunch hour. I ran with my brother and these were all pretty much easy runs, but I really felt that the frequency helped my run, ALOT. This allowed me to effectively eliminate my "long run" but I still got WAY more miles.

That's over with now. Since school started this week, I drive my two boys to school and go into work a little later, which is my "lunch break". Back to my old routine. Earlier this week, I got an 11 mile run in and at an easy pace. I checked my log and the last time I did that same run (which was in April) I was running it at 1 min/mi slower...at the same RPE. I think frequency really helped alot.

For the rest of the season, I have 2 Oly, 1 sprint and then a 70.3 in early Oct. Since none of the shorter races are "A" races, I have decided on a route for training. My training plan is for the 70.3 in October, so rather than taper for me earlier races, I'm simply going to replace those week's volumes with my race distances. We'll see how it goes.

I'm now getting into the meat of my 70.3 plan which means my training days are getting much longer and I'm suffering from no sleep. Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Edited by dprocket 2014-08-15 3:20 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2007
author : NDeBoom
comments : 1
Our members chat with Nicole DeBoom on Ironman nutrition strategy, Ironman training philosophy, off-season focus, her 'secret' IM food, favorite races, and her new clothing line and race series.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.