BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-08-15 4:02 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed
Wow, David, it sounds like you have a lot to do still! Great job!

I have a run planned for tonight while my youngest is at football practice - weather was too iffy for a bike ride today. Other than that I only got in a bike ride on Tuesday after my sprint last weekend. I feel like two days off in a row with no workout was a HUGE letdown as I am still thinking about that Oly in just over 2 weeks! I'm driving to Lake George Sunday to ride/bike the course Monday to see if it's even a possibility for me to get through. This race was not on my radar this year but I want to gear up this winter and go for the HIM at the same venue next year so I thought if nothing more, it would be a good look-over of the course and how they work everything there.
I'm looking to also do a Half Mary mid-October in MA (Bay State Marathon and Half-Marathon) for the fun of it with a group of friends. It's a flat course compared to anything I run around here (though I actually like hills).

Cheers,
Jenn

2014-08-15 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by dprocket Chris thanks for stopping by. I believe Jesse races this weekend. How is everyone's training going, and since we're on he back half of the season, I'm curious what everyone has planned. Over the summer, I was able to run an extra 4-5X's per week during my lunch hour. I ran with my brother and these were all pretty much easy runs, but I really felt that the frequency helped my run, ALOT. This allowed me to effectively eliminate my "long run" but I still got WAY more miles. That's over with now. Since school started this week, I drive my two boys to school and go into work a little later, which is my "lunch break". Back to my old routine. Earlier this week, I got an 11 mile run in and at an easy pace. I checked my log and the last time I did that same run (which was in April) I was running it at 1 min/mi slower...at the same RPE. I think frequency really helped alot. For the rest of the season, I have 2 Oly, 1 sprint and then a 70.3 in early Oct. Since none of the shorter races are "A" races, I have decided on a route for training. My training plan is for the 70.3 in October, so rather than taper for me earlier races, I'm simply going to replace those week's volumes with my race distances. We'll see how it goes. I'm now getting into the meat of my 70.3 plan which means my training days are getting much longer and I'm suffering from no sleep. Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Ahh, OK.  I knew it was coming up.  For some reason I thought it was the same weekend as nationals.  

2014-08-16 11:49 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

, Vermont
A couple of pics from last weekend. Seems like so long ago!

(aug 2014 sprint tri awards - Copy.jpg)

(Aug 2014 sprint tri - Copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
aug 2014 sprint tri awards - Copy.jpg (222KB - 4 downloads)
Aug 2014 sprint tri - Copy.jpg (21KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-17 7:36 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

Union, Kentucky
Nice job, I bet the beer will taste that much better in a glass you won!

I decided to work on climbing on the bike, so I had my first 50 mile week in quite a while. Today was almost 34 of those miles. There are a couple of climbs around here know as the "Evil Twins" that I'd been shying away from for a while- they're each about 300ft of climb at a pretty constant 6%, which is just steep enough with my legs and gears to cause me trouble. There are no turn offs between the hills, so you commit to one, you commit to both. They were tough, but having been doing hills more than normal lately helped me be somewhat less slow. I'm certainly feeling them now.

As for plan, I still need to find a race in September some time. I bought new running shoes today so it's time to break them in and get back to being a bit more consistent about that. I can't blame that on the weather, it's been a cool August, although a little rainy.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2014-08-18 12:49 PM
in reply to: Spillicus

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Jesse - update us when you can!! I looked at race results...and there were some crazy fast times! Holy cow.
2014-08-19 11:58 AM

User image

, Vermont
So, I am about to click the pay button for $140 for the Oly in 10 days....yikes!!!
I feel under-prepared as I haven't "trained" for this distance per se, but I rode the 25 mile race course (1:38 while holding a map in my hand for 2/3 of it, then dropped it and had to turn around, go back and pick it up) and ran 5.5 (50:44) of the 10k course right after the ride yesterday. Quite a hilly course. So essentially I did almost 2/3 of the race yesterday. My quads were fatigued but I am not sore today at all - just a little tired in the legs. Today I am going to purchase a roller because the tennis ball ain't going to cut it anymore!
If it sounds like I am doing something I shouldn't, like I'm really not ready and will probably hurt myself, please speak up now. I am relying on your collective experience. I am a little nervous but pretty sure I can finish. It's recon for next year's HIM at the same venue.
You can look at my training log too to see what I've been doing.
Thanks for any input.
Jenn

2014-08-19 12:03 PM

User image

, Vermont
Also, there is a new version of the 910xt coming out in the fall (I believe they're going to call it the 920?). some changes include a sleeker design and it will track your cadence as you run as well. Now I will have to decide if I get that one (estimated price to be $50 more than current 910xt) or let the big box stores get their hands on the "out-dated" 910xt and buy that one deeply discounted.....time will tell.
2014-08-19 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Also, there is a new version of the 910xt coming out in the fall (I believe they're going to call it the 920?). some changes include a sleeker design and it will track your cadence as you run as well. Now I will have to decide if I get that one (estimated price to be $50 more than current 910xt) or let the big box stores get their hands on the "out-dated" 910xt and buy that one deeply discounted.....time will tell.

I don't think you're making a horrible decision on the Oly. If I remember correctly, you have half-marathon experience and you've already trained well. You may be a little under prepared, but its not in the category of "bad decision", IMO.

I've got a buddy who works for Garmin who tells me about the 920xt. If it were me...(I may be in the same situation soon) I'd wait until it came out and bought the 910 on discount...but I'm cheap too...
2014-08-19 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

You can look at my training log too to see what I've been doing.
Thanks for any input.
Jenn

fyi, your training log is restricted...
2014-08-19 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Oh, thanks. I'll have to see if i can fix that.

Okay, should be fixed now. I changed it to registered users.

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-08-19 1:24 PM
2014-08-19 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Oh, thanks. I'll have to see if i can fix that.

Okay, should be fixed now. I changed it to registered users.

Just in looking at your logs, I don't see any reason that you could not finish an Oly distance well enough. I was mainly looking at your swim sets and I saw several 2000-2400 swim workouts sprinkled in. I think if you want to set a goal and really go for it, you will need a little more structure to your plan which you don't have time to implement now. But that is not to take away from your current training...I'm just saying that you haven't earmarked it 10-15 weeks out and planned specifically to peak and taper for that race. But fitness wise, the swim should be fine, and you've already tested out the bike/run course....so I say go for it. This will give you a benchmark to go after on your next one.

You can do it and I think it will hurt, but probably in a good way.

2014-08-19 8:42 PM

User image

, Vermont
Done. I have signed up so I am committed. Now to roll this knot out of my back...
2014-08-21 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4998443

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Jenn I think we're the one ones left!
2014-08-22 8:25 AM

User image

, Vermont
I think so too! It's been quiet! I much prefer this site to any other social media as it feels productive so I'm missing everyone! LOL

My Oly is next Saturday (yikes). I'm heading in today to get a professional bike fitting. My PT wasn't worried that it's too close as I'll be able to get a few rides in before then. (he races) As it is now, by 20 - 25 miles my butt and left foot are numb - sub-optimal when you have to run right after. I'm going to demo some other bike seats as well. I've been using a Terry Liberator X but want to try some Cobb seats and maybe an Adamo (but the pricetag - yikes!).
Another nice swim this morning. After warm-up I've been swimming at least 1600-1700 continuous to cover my distance and then finish with sprints. I feel strong when I get to the sprints. Interestingly I've found it sometimes takes me 500 yds to get into the groove and get a rhythm.

So don't leave, Dave!!! I'm sure I'll come up with more questions for people. I'm looking to give people kudos and encouragement but that's hard to do when there are crickets! LOL
Cheers!!
2014-08-22 8:44 AM

User image

I'm still here!!!
I've been keeping up with all the updates via email, it's just been hard to get on the site with work lately.
Last Saturday I did a 9 mile run at the beach which was awesome. I'm still deciding between an October 1/2 marathon and a tough mudder (consecutive weekends). This Sunday I have my last tri of the season, the tri-rock Asbury Sprint Tri. it's a 500M Ocean Swim. The goal, not drown!!!! I'm really planning on finally joining the gym soon because I realized that my speeds really didn't improve as much as I would have hoped this summer; especially my running. I'm going to spend the winter base building, weight lifting, and putting in tons of time in the pool.

Jenn, fyi, the Garmin Fenix is currently on sale, down to 299. It's a really good product I've heard.
Without HRM: http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=693981&b=403254&m=42839&afftrack=...
With HRM http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=693981&b=403254&m=42839&afftrack=...
2014-08-22 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Jenn - real quick...if you get a chance you may try out an Adamo Road saddle. That's what I use and I happen to have an extra one in my bin that I've been meaning to sell. There's nothing wrong with it...I just bought a 2nd one that matched my new bike a little better. : ) Anyhow, if you go that direction I may be able to cut you a deal.

2014-08-22 1:48 PM

User image

, Vermont
Oh argh, I just got back from my pro bike fitting! New "chick" handlebars (narrower), new seat (though I could return it - I should have tried the Adamo - it depends on width and where my sit bones would hit (huge difference), seat is raised up an inch!! Adjusted the cleats on my shoes - sooooo much better. Power!! I cannot wait to get out and ride!!! It's like having a new bike all over again!!! Even the guy doing the fitting was acting like a kid in a candy store with how much more performance he believes I'll have!
Dave, is the Adamo the one with 135mm width? I think it's the one I'm thinking of, I'd have to look it up. That would be a nice ride.

Hold on, the 7 year old wants to discuss Nerf guns. Back soon.
Jenn
2014-08-22 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Jenn, here it is: http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-road

Here's a picture of the saddle I have: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wgq6cdnyikvps8w/AADtLYCBkn_CILgZLzOCrMjAa

And here's a picture of my bike (just for fun): https://www.dropbox.com/sc/gevtnsehwou5i1q/AADG9k-xrXHHk4fwAHrNZg5da

As you can see, the new one is identical...just matches slightly better and that makes me go faster.

Out of curiosity, what type of fitting did you get? Was it a specific fit system? ...maybe it's just a guy who is an expert fitter? (There is Retul, FIST, etc). Just curious...I had a Retul fit last Fall before I bought my tri bike. Whatever it was, it sounds like the fitter identified some trouble spots and hopefully you'll be more comfortable and more powerful in your new position.

What type of saddle did you get?

I honestly don't know how an Adamo would work for you (may be awesome, or not!). I just say that because I tend to think of the Adamo as having features that alleviate pressure for parts that are more relevant for men....but what do I know???!!! Come to think of it, Betty Designs has a custom colored Adamo saddle, so it must be a good one for both men and women!)

2014-08-22 5:09 PM

User image

, Vermont
Nice ride!! Rather puts my bike to shame but I love my bike and would give any tri bike a run for the money on hills! LOL

I'm trying out a Specialized Myth. It's actually a mtn bike seat believe it or not. I tried the Specialized Oura but my sit bones prefered the Myth for whatever reason. (I am fairly thin but have wider sit bones).
The LBS is great though - I can try it out and if I love it, keep it, if not, bring it back and we'll try again. With the race next Saturday I'll probably stick with this seat through the race. I'll get out a few times between now and then so if anything is drastic I'll cruise down and try again.

I don't remember the specific name of the "fit". I'll have to see if it's on the receipt but he measured me every way to Sunday, angles, etc, had me on video from two angles, checked tightness in quads, hams, hip flexors, etc. It took almost 3 hours but the bike felt so good. The narrower handle bars were a HUGE difference as was the cleat adjustment. My left foot is a size smaller than my right foot so my left foot kept getting numb in the toes at about 20 miles. a slight move of the cleat back on both feet and I felt like I had so much more power (duh, Jenn, because now I am pedaling with a foot, not my toes!). He also raised the seat up quite a bit so I can now use my whole leg and getting up out of the seat is so much easier. It's raining like a dog here right now (that's partly cloudy for you in VT) but it should clear out by tomorrow so after football games and birthday parties I'm going to send my kiddo over to Grandma's house and I'm a goin' ridin'. (hopefully) sheepish grin.
2014-08-22 10:13 PM

Union, Kentucky
Yes, very nice ride. I'll have to post a picture of mine so you can have a good laugh. I'm still rocking downtube shifters!

I was able to knock off work a bit early today thanks to having worked way too much earlier in the week (in the office at 4:50am on Wednesday, groan....) so I did a little window shopping. A Felt AR has definitely caught my ride. I'm also constantly riding up and down hills so a dedicated tri bike isn't a great idea for me, but I could make the AR into a passable one with some clip on bars and it would be a great road bike for my other 99% of the time. I'll have to take a look at some other brands too although Cincinnati doesn't have all that great of a bike shop selection so it might require a bit of driving to places like Louisville or Columbus. Hard to find the time for that.

Now I just need to work on getting my wife to be accepting of dropping a couple of grand on a bike.
2014-08-22 10:30 PM

User image

, Vermont
My friend (who races ) just got a Felt AR - LOVES it. Her husband (also races and is very good) got one as well I believe.
Good stuff!

2014-08-23 6:01 PM

User image

, Vermont
My bike continues to hang in the garage on this absolutely perfect day to ride. Up at o'dark to get child #2 to a football jamboree for two games while husband and child #1 are off camping, then after football, straight to a beach birthday party where we stayed for 6 1/2 hours......I am whipped and have an overtired 7 year old...."I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike..."
"There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true....."

Yeah, I'm getting a little punchy. LOL Race is one week from today and I really wanted to get a workout in... Frustration..
Cheers all!
2014-08-24 8:06 PM
in reply to: 0

Union, Kentucky
Seth, I hope your race today went well.

So here's a picture of my trusty steed- at 1993 (I think, but it might be a '94) Cadex CFR3. Cadex used to be what Giant called their racing line, so it's really a Giant. Straight carbon fiber tubes with aluminum lug joints, an aluminum fork and most of the components are steel or aluminum. It's about 21.5lbs, which at the time was pretty good. I think it '94 the TDF winner was on a 20+ pound steel bike. Shimano 105 components including the downtube shifters (STI hadn't made it down from Dura Ace yet). The bike's done pretty well for 20 years and has seen quite a bit of the USA. I bought it while working at my first job in high school at a bike store, a steal at $860. I still have the receipt! But most of the parts are original and it's starting to show. When I wanted new shoes early this year and my old cleats were worn out, I had to get new pedals because I couldn't replace the cleats, as the bike originally had Look Delta pedals on it. I put the newer Ultegra 6800 pedals on and shaved off about a pound. The rear wheel has gotten pretty lumpy and can't be completely trued anymore and the freewheel is starting to skip when I stand on the pedals hard so the lowest gear isn't really useful. My second lowest gear is 53/21, which hurts on 6% grades. So, definitely time for an upgrade. I had taken a number of years off of riding so I said I would give this bike a couple of years more work to make sure I stick with cycling again, and I said that in 2012, so I'm feeling pretty confident in that I won't be wasting money on a bike that will sit around.

31 or so miles today on a very swampy day, 80 and humid by about 9:30. It was a pretty nice ride until about 25 miles in when the heat started wearing on me a bit and I dropped my pace a little. I did have fun riding some roads I hadn't been down before. Yesterday I was short on time so I did a one my warm up followed by a 1 mile flat out. I hadn't done that in a while, and managed to break a 1-mile PR on Strava that had been there for a while, so that was fun. But both running flat out yesterday and cranking up a couple of hills today I was cramping hard on the right side of my chest where I have some scar tissue from collapsing a lung when I was 15. Very painful, but it also usually means I'm improving my max aerobic capacity and it's getting stretched a bit, so I guess that's good.

Hope everybody had a fun weekend.

Edited by Spillicus 2014-08-24 8:25 PM

(bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike.jpg (3135KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-24 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
That's an awesome bike!!! I love it!

I got into triathlon just 3 years ago. I bought a 2004 Cervelo Dual off Craigslist for $350. It was a steal. And a very good bike. I thought it would be good for me as I learned the sport and I wanted to see if I would stick with it. It was too small for me and I had a Retul fit last Fall to determine what size I needed and what bikes would actually fit me. The 3 main choices were the Shiv, Cervelo P3, Trek SC or Felt B14/B12. I didn't fit for roadies because my biking is pretty specific to do triathlon. (Although this summer I bought a Redline Conquest CycloCross bike to knock around town with the family on trails and such...It replaced my 50# walmart mountain bike).

Anyway, i got a great deal on a closeout 2013 Shiv with DuraAce components. Then, I was able to sell my Cervelo for 450, so I made $100 after riding it for two seasons. My wife was EXTREMELY supportive of the decision to buy the Shiv (I say that only because she is leaning over my shoulder reading this). Actually, I bought it because I have a job that is heavily back loaded with year end bonuses. I had extra money coming and we planned accordingly.

So today, my wife and I did a Quintathlon. It was a new race here in Kansas City and it was pretty cool. 800M swim, 19 mile bike, 5k run, 11 mile bike, 2k run. Pretty interesting to bust out a 5K then hop back on the bike. It was a small race with only about 80 participants on the long course (they also had a sprint distance tri). This was by far the smallest race I've ever been a part of and it was interesting. I spent the majority of the bike up with the leaders which was fun-- lots of picking off fast guys one by one. Of course, I give alot back on the run.

I won my age group!!! (Pro tip: enter really small races with very few participants. There were only 2 of us in the 35-39AG and I smoked him! I finished 17th overall out of 79 I think).

Today, I also noticed that my poor bike handling skills hurt me. I was reeling a guy in that was not as strong as me, but as we hit some more technical parts of the course and then merged with lots of sprint-racers, he passed me. I could lay down more power, but had to slow up to ensure I didn't crash. Oh well. I know I can improve in that area, but I really don't think much of my bike training is going to change. I spend ALOT of time on the trainer due to the convenience and more intense work i can do.

On that note, Jenn...do you have a bike trainer? if not, I'd say look into it. It's the most productive dollars I've spent in triathlon. Since I work out early in the morning, I don't have to deal with lights on my bike, cars, stop signs/lights, gravel, etc. It's really a great option when you have kids. Anyhow, there are ways to do it to make the time very productive.

also, I like the Queen reference.
2014-08-25 7:40 AM

User image

, Vermont
Hahaha! I was wondering if anyone would catch that!
First, congrats on the age group win, that's great! A quintathlon sounds cool and actually a great way to practice transitions for tris! My motto here is "it pays to be old in a small field." I have won lots of socks and great bags because of it (running races). I have found, at least around here, that the most competitive age group for women is the one I'm in (40-44) so that makes it a bit more of a crank to get the goods.

I do have a trainer - I got that right after I got the bike! LOL I figured here in VT we lose 3-4 months of useful cycling due to our excellent weather (that's okay, I ski) so it's kind of a necessity. I do think I'd like to get some good video feed for workouts rather than just watching a movie or news or something. I would think it would help one to focus on the task at hand.

Got out on the bike finally this morning to test out the new fit - which I LOVE! I didn't set any records or anything or even PR any segments on Strava but the fit was really good and I can see more power and efficiency in my future. :-D Also, I had subluxated my upper back quite badly and have had migraines over the weekend, difficulty breathing and minor nausea. (I fell down the steps of an airplane years ago so it's something I keep on top of usually - good move as a pilot, falling down the steps of your own plane LOL) I felt a bit crappy this morning but really needed to get out as I've had to take the last two days off. I am so excited about the bike! I can get down into the drops without feeling like they're near my pedals and my hands are appropriately closer together - you guys don't notice this so much as you have wider shoulders but my "female" handlebars are a good 2" narrower and that makes a huge difference in shoulder comfort, ability to steer, being able to have your hands in the hoods, and the drops are shallower. It's like a new bike. Happiness. The kids start school Wednesday and while I should be tapering for the Saturday race I will be out on the road for 32 miles combining two convenient routes I do with nice hills. It's not my "A" race (never got to do my A race this year) so I plan to explore the Oly distance and see what happens.

Okay, I could ramble forever - I'm like a kid with a new toy right now. Bugs in my teeth - sign of a happy biker.
Cheers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2007
author : NDeBoom
comments : 1
Our members chat with Nicole DeBoom on Ironman nutrition strategy, Ironman training philosophy, off-season focus, her 'secret' IM food, favorite races, and her new clothing line and race series.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.