BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-05-19 8:31 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Subject: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed
GROUP FOCUS: Sprint and Olympic Distance

NAME: Jesse Funk

STORY: Hey everyone I'm a developing elite amateur. I've been running and competing in distance events since 8th grade. I ran through college and am now a part of USAT's Collegiate Recruitment Program. This is all just a process forward towards earning my elite license and beginning racing the ITU style circuit. It all takes time, lots of time, so my personal philosophy of training is to enjoy what you're doing. Goals are great and can keep us motivated in certain moments, but ultimately if you learn to love the motion of the sport you are engaged in you will be more fulfilled: win, lose or draw.

In non-triathlon life I am a small business owner, have 2 cats and an undying love of ice cream.

FAMILY STATUS: Not married, in a committed relationship.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training hours vary week by week, but most weeks that don't have an interruption I'm training 15-17 hours a week. Which equates to 19-23km in the pool, about 6.5 hours on the bike and approximately 26-30 run miles a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just completed my first race of the season with the KC Tri. It's always a test triathlon for me and I got out of it what I wanted to in terms of data. Placement wise I ended up 2nd in the 25-29 Age group and 8th overall. A large improvement over previous years completions at this race.

2014 RACES:

May - KC Tri - Olympic
June - Topeka Tinman - Oddball in between oly and sprint
July - Shawnee Mission Triathlon - Sprint
August - Detroit Elite Development Race - Draft Legal ITU Style Amateur Sprint

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm coming back for my second season mentoring here. As my guys/gals from last year will tell you I try to do my best to be honest in my approach to any questions you have about triathlon and helping you move towards your own personal goals. The best compliment I recall from last season is one of my guys telling me that I don't talk down to anyone despite my own personal aspirations. Rest assured that you are just as important or more so than I am, no matter whether you are slower, faster or the same speed as me. Triathlon is a journey that we share with each other. It can be anything from solely a transformative physical journey to a spiritual journey if you allow yourself to get in touch with who you are, by testing your limits and confronting your fears.

Group Numbers Limit I'm looking to have 5-6 new dedicated athletes in this group this year. This is smaller than the forum suggested 10-15 and for a reason. All of my previous year's mentees are welcome to join in and not add to the count. These guys/gals have almost all had some contact with me through the winter training despite my lack of official mentor group on here.

I'd like to structure my group this way so that I can really focus in on quality, in-depth answers for a smaller group of people I have no history with. This makes sure you reach your goals easier and get your questions answered thoroughly. Additionally my previous mentees, if they wish to join again, can serve as a second layer in this group so that it is closer to a mastermind than a sole mentorship.

Group Closed

Thanks to those who've joined the group before closure. At this time I'm closing the group since again I want to focus on high quality responses for people. If I feel like I am time-wise able to handle more people I will re-open the group. Anyone not in the group you're more than welcome to send me a PM if you just have a quick question you'd like answered. It may take me several days to answer, but I will get around to fairly simple questions for you on a first-come first-serve basis.

Edited by funkj25 2014-06-03 1:57 PM

2014-05-22 7:40 AM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus

Hey Jesse, good to see you back.

I'm trying my hand at mentoring my own group this summer, but would like to drop in here now and then and follow how your season is going.  I left you a comment on your blog awhile back but never saw it show up, maybe it didn't go through for some reason.  Anyway I'm off to a nice start this year, took 2nd AG in my first sprint race, then took the AG win in my first Olympic of the season last weekend at Jekyll Island, GA.  I have another sprint in 2 weeks, then the summer is all about prepping for the AG Nationals race.

I'm off to the pool now, so I'll check back with you a little later.

2014-05-23 11:32 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Lenexa, KS
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus
Hey Chris,

You're of course more than welcome to drop in on the group whenever you feel like it. I haven't touched the blog in a while, should write a race update for the KC Tri, but I have been lazy. The comments don't appear unless I approve them from the backend so that's why it hasn't shown up, ha.

It sounds like your season is starting off right. And yeah it's kind of a double edged sword going to the EDR instead of Nationals this year, but it's a chance to give me some draft legal experience. I was looking forward to being able to meet you as well (just read your comment). If all goes well I'll be back to AGN in 2015, with a TT bike finally, looking for a podium of some sort.

Keep me up to date on how your season is going.
2014-05-23 2:41 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Open
Hey Jesse,
I'm definitely interested in joining your group.
Me: 32 year old male in my first full year of triathlon. I'm a married father of one (so far) 18 month old. I'm a full-time in house counsel for a biotech company in NJ. I work approximately 40-45 hours per week.

I spent much of my early life very overweight, but joined Weight Watchers in January, 2005, with a starting weight around 235lbs. Over a year I dropped about 70lbs and now maintain about 165lbs. My body fights me when I go lower.

Prior to last year, my experience was limited to one half marathon. Then, last year, while unemployed, I decided to start training for a sprint triathlon. I did that race on a 20 year old mountain bike (don't recommend) and got hooked. I went out and bought a road bike (Trek 1.5) and have really begun to enjoy riding. I'm currently training 4-5 days a week for about 3-5 hours per week. I'm trying to up it. I spent all winter running outside (despite the winter the northeast had) and biking on the trainer. I've recently brought the bike outside and recently completed my longest ride of 18 miles.

Past race experience: 2011- NYC 1/2 marathon (2:01:59), 2013- Sprint Triathlon (2:01), 2014- Rutgers 1/2 Marathon (2:12:28)

This year I'm signed up for 2 olympic distance events- NJ State Triathlon (late July) and Tri Rock Asbury Park (first ocean race) (late August). I'm really looking to improve my abilities in all three distances. I was thinking that I would get through the rest of this summer and then once the season ends, take a step back and do a long stretch of zone 2 (or MAF) training to properly build a base. I'm also working on improving my swimming as my 100 yard split is currently 2:30 (at best). I'm working up to swimming a full mile and am currently at about 1400 yards.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have for me. Although new, I'm really excited about the sport. Feel free to connect with me on Garmin Connect or Strava or SportsTracks. Haven't really gotten into tracking on here.

Thanks!
2014-05-23 7:47 PM
in reply to: sethjk

User image

Lenexa, KS
Hey Seth,

Welcome to the group. Glad to have you on board.

First, congrats on the weight loss. Personally I have lots of friends (and family members) who have had a hard time losing weight. Although I personally haven't gone through it, I know I watched my mom struggle for a few years before finally getting it figure out for herself. So really I do mean it, congratulations on that.

My 2 bits on the maintenance weight, don't worry about "going lower." Personally my thoughts on where you probably are now is that it will change when it needs to change. Work out, enjoy the sport, eat well and your body will take care of itself. Although some coaches and mentors might focus on "okay let's work on getting body fat % lower" I am more of a "let's work on good form and increasing speed." The body will take care of itself if you focus on those things and they're way more fun to focus on anyway.

Regarding your swimming, do you have access to a (wife, sibling, friend, fellow gym-goer) that could take video of you in the pool? I did some run analysis of a couple guys from the group last year (which we can also do if you want) and am just wondering if I could make some directional pointers/drill suggestions to help you get more comfortable in the water?

When you're swimming your 1400 do you do it outright (straight through) or are there breaks? What do you feel like keeps you from going the extra 3-400 meters to make that mile?
2014-05-24 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4998443

Still have room in the group? I won't be starting training for another few weeks .

2014-05-26 6:48 AM

User image

Hey Jesse,
Thanks!
I'm sure I could convince my wife to take video of me while swimming one of these days, though, it might not be for a few weeks. Our community pool just opened (weekends only) and she doesn't come with me where I've been swimming.
Currently I'm swimming with breaks, with 600 yards being the longest I've gone straight, though I definitely had it in me to go further.

Side note, was hoping to get in a nice bike or run this morning as the baby is with grandma; however we got home from a wedding at 2am and I slept terribly (only about 3-4 hours) so I think that planned workout is getting scrapped as I know it won't be productive.
Have a great Memorial Day!
2014-05-27 10:55 AM
in reply to: kps22

User image

Lenexa, KS
KPS you're welcome to join. It's just Seth so far (Chris is one of my guys from last year) so you'd make 2 and I'm looking for another 3-4 more.

Just give a little intro on who you are, what you're wanting to accomplish this season (races, weight loss, mental challenges, whatever you want to focus on) to give us and me an idea of what you want to get from the group.
2014-05-27 11:00 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by sethjk

Hey Jesse,
Thanks!
I'm sure I could convince my wife to take video of me while swimming one of these days, though, it might not be for a few weeks. Our community pool just opened (weekends only) and she doesn't come with me where I've been swimming.
Currently I'm swimming with breaks, with 600 yards being the longest I've gone straight, though I definitely had it in me to go further.

Side note, was hoping to get in a nice bike or run this morning as the baby is with grandma; however we got home from a wedding at 2am and I slept terribly (only about 3-4 hours) so I think that planned workout is getting scrapped as I know it won't be productive.
Have a great Memorial Day!

Seth, sometimes downtime is the way to go. Personally I find it's always a balance between pushing hard and pushing too hard in regards to training.

No worries on hurrying on the video, it was just a thought of something we can do during the mentor group this season.

You might try on the swim, a descending progression of distances at the end. So say you do your regular what you're comfortable with, say it's 600, 600, 600 (I know that's 1800, a little farther than you've gone). Then afterwards just for that day, say do another 200. Easy enough since you've already done a set of 600 three times you know you're probably confident enough to put it just another 200. Then the next day you are ready to stretch it (this could be next week, it doesn't have to be the literal next day) you could go 600, 600, 600, then 300, 100. Now you've bumped up another 200.

This season you're probably best set focusing on getting technique down and comfort going longer distances. It may seem an oversimplification of what your racing goals in the long term may be, but getting a high confidence down in yourself as far as ability to swim distance and making sure you have good/great technique will pay big dividends down the road.
2014-05-27 9:04 PM

User image

, Vermont
Hi Jesse,
I was wondering if there is still room in your group? I'm a newbie to tris and am starting with sprints this summer - maybe more, we'll see how the first one goes.

A bit about me: I just turned 44, wife, mom of two highly active boys ( 7 & 9), former airline pilot - now part-time flight instructor/aviation adjunct professor at a local college. I've played about every sport (favorite is rock climbing) and have been primarily running the last bunch of years -though have since I was young. I swam competitively eons ago for a few years, and just got my first road bike (Felt F5 carbon) - farthest distance being 21 miles so far all on hills (working the kinks out). I have also purchased an indoor trainer for our excellent Vermont winters. I do belong to a local gym with a pool (just ran 30/swam 30 today) so I've got that going for me. A couple of races I've done: Adirondack 1/2 marathon (think hills) 2010 (2:05), 2011 (1:58), NYC women's half marathon 2011 (2:01), Hampton Rockfest 1/2 marathon 2013 (1:56) and a bunch of relay teams in the Vermont City Marathon 2014, 2012, 2011, a bunch of 5ks I won't bother to list. I have been fortunate that I haven't had to "worry" about weight - but try having two kids! LOL. I trained for a sprint tri back in 2006 after my first child but started a new job on the day of the race so I never got to participate! Definitely got me back in shape. What plagues me is a knee issue I've been going to a PT for - otherwise I truly believe I can knock 10 to 15 minutes off my half marathon times. I may revisit the Hampton, NH Rockfest this fall and test that theory. (my PT also happens to be a competitive cyclist)

I like the idea of tris for cross-training for overall fitness. I think I would be a good mentee because I am a sponge for information. I am constantly researching everything (and yes, I love gear). I am always looking for efficient ways to train to pack the most I can in to tricky schedules. My husband travels a lot and once school lets out I have the boys home much of the summer making training a bit more challenging/creative. I am also highly competitive with myself, always striving to be better/faster/more confident and learn how to train more effectively. My husband swam competitively for 10 years and has been helpful with my technique, but I know it can get better. Biking could end up being my nemesis as I am new to road biking on such a light bike! I guess my goals for this season is to not just finish a sprint tri - I know I could do that now - but to set a good bar for myself for future tris and to know I really gave it my all. The sprint-tri I am currently signed up for is the Colchester Sprint-tri here in Vermont on July 27th but I'm looking to add to this list. The distances are 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and a 5k run. They give you the option to kayak 2 miles instead of swim but I kayak all the time and open water swimming to me is more of a challenge (for me).

If I sound like a fit for your group that would be great! If I can answer any questions you may have of me, let me know.
Thanks,
Jenn (aviatrix802)

2014-05-30 8:36 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi Jesse,
I was wondering if there is still room in your group? I'm a newbie to tris and am starting with sprints this summer - maybe more, we'll see how the first one goes.

A bit about me: I just turned 44, wife, mom of two highly active boys ( 7 & 9), former airline pilot - now part-time flight instructor/aviation adjunct professor at a local college. I've played about every sport (favorite is rock climbing) and have been primarily running the last bunch of years -though have since I was young. I swam competitively eons ago for a few years, and just got my first road bike (Felt F5 carbon) - farthest distance being 21 miles so far all on hills (working the kinks out). I have also purchased an indoor trainer for our excellent Vermont winters. I do belong to a local gym with a pool (just ran 30/swam 30 today) so I've got that going for me. A couple of races I've done: Adirondack 1/2 marathon (think hills) 2010 (2:05), 2011 (1:58), NYC women's half marathon 2011 (2:01), Hampton Rockfest 1/2 marathon 2013 (1:56) and a bunch of relay teams in the Vermont City Marathon 2014, 2012, 2011, a bunch of 5ks I won't bother to list. I have been fortunate that I haven't had to "worry" about weight - but try having two kids! LOL. I trained for a sprint tri back in 2006 after my first child but started a new job on the day of the race so I never got to participate! Definitely got me back in shape. What plagues me is a knee issue I've been going to a PT for - otherwise I truly believe I can knock 10 to 15 minutes off my half marathon times. I may revisit the Hampton, NH Rockfest this fall and test that theory. (my PT also happens to be a competitive cyclist)

I like the idea of tris for cross-training for overall fitness. I think I would be a good mentee because I am a sponge for information. I am constantly researching everything (and yes, I love gear). I am always looking for efficient ways to train to pack the most I can in to tricky schedules. My husband travels a lot and once school lets out I have the boys home much of the summer making training a bit more challenging/creative. I am also highly competitive with myself, always striving to be better/faster/more confident and learn how to train more effectively. My husband swam competitively for 10 years and has been helpful with my technique, but I know it can get better. Biking could end up being my nemesis as I am new to road biking on such a light bike! I guess my goals for this season is to not just finish a sprint tri - I know I could do that now - but to set a good bar for myself for future tris and to know I really gave it my all. The sprint-tri I am currently signed up for is the Colchester Sprint-tri here in Vermont on July 27th but I'm looking to add to this list. The distances are 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and a 5k run. They give you the option to kayak 2 miles instead of swim but I kayak all the time and open water swimming to me is more of a challenge (for me).

If I sound like a fit for your group that would be great! If I can answer any questions you may have of me, let me know.
Thanks,
Jenn (aviatrix802)

Jenn,

Welcome to the group, still plenty of room. For anyone else reading this as long as the title tag on the group says "OPEN" you're good to go.

One of the challenges a lot of age group athletes face is fitting training in the schedule. Frankly I don't think I could do all I do trying to take care of a couple kids and work a regular job so people like you are really the heroes of the sport. As an aside, your attitude about personal challenges are what make triathlon (and any endurance sport) absolutely beautiful. Plus you'll fit in well with me since that's really my attitude about what the sport is. Yes, there's other people out there competing and yes you usually want to beat as many of them as you can, but at the end of the day if you put it all out there and you know you did what you came to do then there's no regrets to be had, win lose or draw.

It's great that your husband has that swimming background. That's a huge tool for you that most people don't have or have to pay for. As I'm sure he'll tell you regarding technique, everyone can always improve their technique no matter who you are. So I think you've got a great attitude for the sport.

I can't think of anything to ask at the moment, but I'm sure stuff will come up. Feel free to start questions for me or sharing whatever difficulties you have going on with your training and I'll be here. I check in a few times a week. Sometimes I'll read and see stuff and then let it digest before replying later, but I'll always see it.

2014-05-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NAME: Jessica
Just turned 32, 5'5, 178lbs

STORY: Hey everyone I have always been into fitness but strayed from the lifestyle after my 1st child and became depressed and in the last 2 years I have turned a new leaf and slowly turned my life around and started a healthy lifestyle. I went from 225lbs o now at 178lbs in the last 18 months. Now I exercise 5 days a week and now has become a must do on my list to do something active everyday. I mostly lift and do HIIT cardio. But recently volunteered at the Ironman in The Woodlands and it lit a fire that I want to try to do races for a hobby. I am signing up for a Sprint Tri in Texas in September and have no clue on what I am doing besides what I read on here and online. I have bought a bike, goggles and some clothing and besides that I am starting to "train" next week. I work 38-45 hours a week and try to maintain balance with kids, hubby, activities, work and a social life. I am a information junkie and take it to a OCD level at times.

In my personal life I am a Mama to 2 amazing girls (3 &10), wife, friend, daughter and work full time at a Oil&Gas Company with a 1.5 hr commute both ways (I know YUKY commute) and have 2 fur babies a super cool English Bulldog ad a Siamese Cat and live in the burbs where athletes are everywhere!

FAMILY STATUS: Married

CURRENT TRAINING: Training hours vary week by week, but most weeks I lift and do cardio 4 days a week, yoga and very modified Crossfit.

2014 RACES:

My 1st Sprint Tri
September Cypress Tri at Bridgeland
550 Meter Swim - 22 mins to complete
12.8 Bike - 51 mins to complete
3.1 Run - 45 mins to complete

I can swim but never have swam for time or distance, I can ride a bike but recently bought a rode bike and I have fallen every time I try to ride it an can only stay on it for like 10-15 feet before I eat the concrete. I think it is the shoes and the clips that I am fearful of and it makes me nervous and which it effects my balance. I can run for 3-5 miles at a time from sprints to jogs to fast walking. So I am a NEWBIE and need a LOT of work...lol

Thanks Hope I am a good fit!

Edited by JesstheMess 2014-05-30 12:46 PM
2014-05-30 1:07 PM

User image

, Vermont
Great! I'll try to start loading some of my workouts in the training log here (I usually use map my run and I'm not sure how to transfer the info.). I'll go back just a couple of weeks and as time allows I'll add earlier data.
I'm starting to work some bricks into my routine - ie if i run at the gym on the treadmill I can then do a quick change and jump in the pool.

Pool work: I do 300 warmup (100 free, 100 back, 100 breast)
200 free then 100 pull, 200 free, then 100 kick
then 600-800 yds straight. - I found to help me keep track of laps I do every fourth lap backstroke (yeah, my mind drifts)
then I'll do 300 cool-down - (100 free, 100 back, 100 breast)

On other days I'll add in 50 yd sprints - yesterday i only did 600 yds straight but followed it up with 3x50 sprints with 15 seconds rest between. As I build I'll do more yardage on some days and heavier sprints on others.

I do need to get better at making quick, healthy snacks so I'll visit the nutrition section on this website. I generally eat quite healthy but with increased activity I want to be very careful not to take in unnecessary calories - but keep them useful. If you or anyone else on this thread has good info on this I'm all ears.

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-05-30 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Great! I'll try to start loading some of my workouts in the training log here (I usually use map my run and I'm not sure how to transfer the info.). I'll go back just a couple of weeks and as time allows I'll add earlier data. I'm starting to work some bricks into my routine - ie if i run at the gym on the treadmill I can then do a quick change and jump in the pool. Pool work: I do 300 warmup (100 free, 100 back, 100 breast) 200 free then 100 pull, 200 free, then 100 kick then 600-800 yds straight. - I found to help me keep track of laps I do every fourth lap backstroke (yeah, my mind drifts) then I'll do 300 cool-down - (100 free, 100 back, 100 breast) On other days I'll add in 50 yd sprints - yesterday i only did 600 yds straight but followed it up with 3x50 sprints with 15 seconds rest between. As I build I'll do more yardage on some days and heavier sprints on others. I do need to get better at making quick, healthy snacks so I'll visit the nutrition section on this website. I generally eat quite healthy but with increased activity I want to be very careful not to take in unnecessary calories - but keep them useful. If you or anyone else on this thread has good info on this I'm all ears. Cheers, Jenn

I keep track of laps by breathing to my right side on odd numbered laps and on the left on even numbered laps.  That way if I start thinking "is this lap6 or lap 7" (which I often do) I think "Ok I'm breathing to my right, this is lap 7."  It has helped me on numerous occasions from getting lost on my lap count, and it is good practice for breathing on either side.

2014-05-30 7:53 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

, Vermont
Ah, nice. I do need to force myself to breathe opposite side so that would be good. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try tomorrow if I can get to the pool!
2014-06-02 2:00 PM

User image

, Vermont
20+ miles on the bike today - rolling hills, hot, kicking headwind on the way home = 1:12:30
worked spinning the hills and keep cadence even through gear changes and hills
Swapped shoes and headed out for a short run of 2.66 miles = 23:03
Again, midday and hot. Tried out a new 2 piece tri suit to see how things would feel on the bike and run. Worked fine!

How's everyone doing with training?
Jenn

2014-06-02 11:25 PM
in reply to: 0

Hey,

I just signed up for a triathlon in september. I've done this race twice in the past (2008 and 2011). This is race is a little longer than a traditional sprint. It's a 1/2 mile swim, 17.2 mile bike and 4.1 mile run. I have also completed an olympic length Triathlon in 2011. I have missed participating both because of the health benefits and just the feeling of accomplishment.

I am 40 years old and my goal is to be in the best shape of my life.

Would love to join your mentoring group.

TOM

Edited by bigternie1 2014-06-02 11:25 PM
2014-06-03 8:46 AM
in reply to: bigternie1

User image

, Vermont
Cool Tom! Welcome!

Hey all - I'm taking on a bit of a June challenge and thought I'd throw it out there - 28 S/B/R workouts in 30 days.
The rules are: S/B/R only workouts count, bricks count as 2.

Minimum time limits are:

Swim: 15 minutes
Run: 20 minutes
Bike: 30 minutes

So far I had June 1st off for a rest day (4 prior workout days). Yesterday I got a brick in - Just over 20 miles on the bike (1:12) - rolling hills, midday hot sun, kicking return headwind. I hopped off the bike, swapped shoes and ran 2.66 in 23:03.
So I've got 2 workouts in. Headed to the pool shortly.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is interested - for me it helps to set smaller goals to achieve the larger picture.

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-06-03 11:14 AM

Union, Kentucky
I'd like to add myself to the group; looks like I'd be the fifth.

Name; Andrew, 36yo male, 5'5", 142lbs.

Story: I currently live in the Cincinnati area on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. As seems to be common around here, I'd sort of let my fitness take a back seat to a fairly demanding job (I'm an engineer who develops new materials for jet engines) and young kids. About 2 years ago I had to make a choice- take better care of myself or buy bigger pants. I don't like shopping for pants and getting in shape seemed like a better idea for a number of reasons. I started running a few miles on a regular basis and eating better, and also benefited from my wife's desire to get in better shape too, which makes it much easier to have a healthier diet when it's a team effort. I've lost about 20lbs or so and am pretty happy with where my weight is now, but would still like to improve on my fitness.
Running has been great for exercise I can squeeze into a spare 30-60 minutes without much prep, but I've never really liked it (although I have to admit I'm coming around on it a bit more this year), so when I started exercising I also decided to try to get back into biking. I spent a lot of time in my teens biking, having ridden my first century at 13 and done things like a 10 day trip down the coast of Calfornia (~700 miles) and always loved cycling, so I took my 20 year old bike to the shop, got some new tires and a tune up and started riding again. In the fall of 2012 I signed up for the training race of a duathlon (3.4 mile trail run, 25 mile ride, training race skipped a repeat of the run) and had fun despite going pretty slow.
In 2013 I became interested in running a triathlon but didn't really do anything about it except somewhat irregular running and cycling and a couple of rather ugly pool lap sessions. This year I've made it my goal to actually run a race, signed up for the Cincinnati Triathlon sprint on the last weekend of June, and have been much better about regular training. I'm looking forward to my first triathlon!

Family Status: Married to a lovely wife who wonders if I'm having a midlife crisis with this....2 kids (7 & 4)

Current Training: I'm currently doing ok getting in a run twice a week and a ride twice a week, with longish ones on the weekend. I can get in the pool when the kids have swimming lessons once per week but am having trouble fitting in a second trip.

2014 Races: Cincinnati Triathlon- Spring Distance. June 29th. If that goes well, a second race later in the year (September?)

My Goals: For the upcoming race, I'd like to finish with a smile on my face, preferably not dead last in my age group. In general I'd like to keep improving my level of fitness, and get a little faster.

So far I've really been enjoying my training this year. I'm seeing improvement in my running and cycling but need to work more on swimming. I'm looking forward to the summer and any advice you'll have.
Thanks, Andrew
2014-06-03 11:29 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Jessica and Tom,

Welcome to the group. Glad to have you on board as well. You'll find over this season I'll post somewhat infrequently (every few days) since I typically let things digest and try to provide a more thoughtful or in-depth response than something flippant and not-useful. So as mentioned before if I haven't yet posted I have probably seen your post, I'm just letting it digest.

Jessica - A bit off topic but that commute sounds brutal. Are you driving yourself or do you at least get to be on public transit so you can do something useful (read, begin work, etc.?)

The weight loss sounds really great for the time frame you've been working at it. I'm hope in time you'll fully develop the triathlon bug. It's a great community as a whole and the sport has what seems like an endless supply of challenges. Which just means lots of new successes to be had along the way all the time; which is a great feeling in my opinion.

Regarding the bike. Have you tried just riding it around forgetting about the clipless pedals to begin with? I.e. just slap on your running shoes and pedal around the block for a while to get comfortable with it. With the small pedals it will be a little different feeling, but my thought is you don't eat a sandwich in one bit. You can manageable chunks out of it and chew them slowly. So I'd say start with the most basic thing you can do which is just using those running shoes on the pedals and forgetting about clipping in until you're comfortable enough operating the bike itself. Then you can try to start clipping in after you're confident in handling the bike so you aren't concentrating on 5 things at once (mentally impossible, multi-tasking is a myth when it comes to direct focus, more on this later if need be). What I think is great about the situation at the moment though is that you are aware that you're fearful of the shoes, clips and falling. Fear runs deep in a lot of little places if you're looking for it so it greats that you're able to be aware of it. Now just take a few steps at a time to address it and assuage that fear into confidence.

Tom

I'm a big fan of goal setting especially in regards to relatively newcomers to any sport really. I think that you've got a good goal set on wanting to be in the best shape of your life. However, the mathematician in me is going to want you to quantify it. What exactly for you would mean that you're in the best shape of your life? Are you wanting to put the fastest time down on the race that you've done before? Do you want to be a certain body fat percentage? Perhaps you're looking to bench press XXX lbs and run a mile in some odd minutes. Whatever it is that you think defines being in the best shape of your life, figure out how to quantify it. Once you have that concrete goal in front of you, chunk it up into little benchmarks between now and (September?). You'll go farther and have a much easier journey when you have very visible, reachable steps to your ultimate (season) goal in front of you than if you keep it nebulous.

Jenn

I like the SBR challenge idea. A "perfect" SBR workout month for me would be 52 workouts in 28 days (4 week cycles). Every month (almost week) something comes up to knock something out of alignment and its always a challenge to get everything in. We'll see how the month goes, but 50 is probably pretty realistic for how I'll come out.

Like I mentioned above to Tom it's great to quantify your goals. When you can combine both mental quality of workouts and visibly see progress towards your goal your acceleration is going to be much greater than simply relying on hoping you're doing well.

2014-06-03 12:48 PM

User image

Welcome to all of the new people.
I'm totally in for the S/B/R challenge.
I'll also stick to 28 workouts- and that's going to be tough for me due to time constraints, but I think I can do it.

Been getting in some good work lately. Saturday, drove with wife to the mall and then ran home (5.8 miles) and today did another 4.65 miles. I've decided to forget about pacing and concentrate on doing strictly Z2 training, so keeping HR under 141 BPM. I really need to build a strong base, I think, and this seems like a pretty good way to do it. Might actually stick with this for the better part of the next year. Essentially, I want to significantly improve on April's 1/2 marathon 2 hours 12 minutes, because next year's goal is probably the Princeton 70.3 race.

Also been getting in more biking work- 2-1 hour long workouts per week. Each workout is about 15-18 miles. Average speed has been around 15.9 mph, but of course that includes braking for traffic lights/turns. I wish we had more hills where I live as I only get about 150 feet of climbing on these rides. I have noticed that when I import to strava, it gives me estimated power of about 98 watts. I know it's not exact, but I'd really like to see that number go up over the next year; but i'm fine with it for now as I'm still a newbie rider. Similarly, still getting used to riding in aero bars. I have clip on ones and handling is so much different. I also feel like I lose power when I drop down. Anybody else have this experience?

Nutrition- what does everybody eat for breakfast/lunch/snacks? I'm nearly always hungry. Typical breakfast for me is FF greek yogurt with fruit/chia seeds (sometimes add oats overnight). Lunch is usually brown rice or quinoa with chicken, but this week it's salad with homemade crab salad. Snacks I do fruit, low fat string cheese, carrots (sometimes with guacomole). I still feel like something is missing. Any suggestions?

Our dinners are better planned- lean protein (5-7 ounces) with a vegetable and/or a grain. We do a lot of stir fry in our house.

2014-06-04 12:35 PM

User image

, Vermont
4/28 with a ride today. Same 20+ miler in 1:14. Sunny and rolling hills.

Interesting side note - I passed an opposite direction cyclist, waved hello and about 5 minutes later he pulled up next to me on the ride. Turns out he's a 1K2Go team cyclist and we had a great chat on the way back in including some training tips. The first half of my ride was not impressive at all - felt whipped, but chatting it up I turned the second half into my first even split ever on that route without "feeling it". I was pretty psyched! He mentioned they need more females on their team which happens to be sponsored by Felt - which happens to be the brand bike I have which happens to be the cyclist's opening line - "hey, nice Felt!" LOL Anyway, had to share because even when a workout might start out crappy, you never know what may come of it.

Cheers all!
Jenn
2014-06-04 12:51 PM

User image

, Vermont
Seth,
Your food sounds great! I have very similar breakfasts - often greek yogurt with walnuts, craisins, and a drizzle of honey. I'll also throw some steel cut oats in a crockpot the night before with some cinnamon, vanilla, maybe apple chunks - whatever I have around. I'm a big protein eater so I love eggs and I LOVE salsa on my eggs. If I don't have time to make my own salsa I'll doctor up my favorite bottled salsa with fresh tomatoes, onions, and cilantro - makes it fresh. If I have it for snack - sometimes I use celery instead of tortilla chips.
For snacks are you getting enough protein to tide you over? I have a handful or two of mixed nuts (preferably unsalted and raw) or hummus with veggies or something. I know it sounds gross but I dip carrots in peanut butter too - it's really not that bad!

My husband and I picked up a NutriBullet six months back and we LOVE it. We'll throw in a carrot, 2-4 stalks of asparagus, a huge handful of kale, maybe some red pepper, frozen berries, and any fresh fruit we have around - banana, cantaloupe, strawberries. Finally add water and/or cranberry juice and let 'er rip. It's not juicing so you still get fiber and I'll tell you, filling. You can come up with some interesting concoctions - some tasty, some not so much. A little lemon juice freshens it up too.
My kids love fruit smoothies in it and sometimes I'll sneak in a carrot or some kale without them knowing. It's good for ice cream shakes too.

Your lunches and dinners sound great - grains, protein, and veggies. Fish is often a nice clean protein too ( I don't eat enough fish - need to get on this!).

Don't forget, everyone's body is different and reacts differently to food. If you're craving anything, odds are your body needs whatever is in that thing you crave.....except that chocolate cake...and croissant....and muffin... LOL

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-06-04 4:39 PM

Union, Kentucky
Jenn,

I'm in for the challenge, although I'll definitely have to get in some Bricks or 2 a day workouts to keep up. I started off well with a 20 mile ride on Sunday (swam too, but only about 10 minutes so it won't count...) and a 3.2 mile run on Monday. But work commitments yesterday and very hazardous weather across the Ohio Valley will make today tough. Maybe I can sneak in a run later, we'll see.

Jessica,

Nice to meet you. The race you've signed up for is just down the street from a place I go for my work every once in a while (the big iron works off of Telge Rd next to the Northwest Freeway). Summers are pretty damn hot there, so be careful out there!

Seth,

Plenty of hills around here- my 20 mile ride on Saturday had about 1100 feet of climbing and that route avoided some of the bigger hills around here. While it's good for exercise, it's not good for trying to train in a steady heart rate zone. I don't have either the legs or gears to climb a 6% grade while keeping my HR around Z2. I really like Strava and the power estimates are nice for comparing one ride to another, but they certainly make assumptions about you when they calculate power numbers. Make sure you have good weights for both yourself and your bike in the settings as those being off or missing will throw the power estimate off. If you'd like to see where I'm riding you can find me on Strava here: follow me and I'll follow you back if you'd like.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/907681

I'm not expert on nutrition, although my wife's push to eat better has helped my waist line as well. I'm also a big fan of stir fry, and I cook a lot of Mexican food as well. It's easy to work the calorie count down by using corn tortillas instead of flour and you can get a lot of lean protein from beans. Chocolate milk also makes a good after workout recovery drink- here's an article about that. Any excuse for chocolate will do.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/03/chocolate-milk-vs-endurox-r4-rec...

If you're not a fan of dairy I'm sure soy or almond milk would basically have the same effect.

Good luck to all of you with your training this week!
2014-06-04 9:07 PM

Union, Kentucky
Storms cleared out and I was able to squeeze in a quick run before putting kids to bed. Yay! 3 of 28
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2007
author : NDeBoom
comments : 1
Our members chat with Nicole DeBoom on Ironman nutrition strategy, Ironman training philosophy, off-season focus, her 'secret' IM food, favorite races, and her new clothing line and race series.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.