BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2017-08-21 11:20 PM
in reply to: #5226656

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed
Whoa, on the knee! Yes, bubble wrap yourself and stay away from anyone with a stuffy nose. Hahahaha..seriously.

Yes, Republic Airway. I'm anticipating an east coast hub for me; commuting to IND would be a two-leg nightmare for me out of VT. VT is a beautiful place to live but you can't get anywhere from here easily. My husband's headquarters are in IND too, ironically. He just flew out there today actually. He's there about every other week to three weeks or so.
I haven't advertised it on FB and probably won't say anything. I never feel you're hired until you complete training...and truly you're not. I'm pretty fired up to start but it's hard to focus on studying with the kids back home from their camp and they're at each other's throats at this point in the summer. Hahahaha. If I study they'll inevitably sneak into their iPads or tv and I'm trying not to let that happen. I'd like to do last minute summer stuff like take them hiking and whatnot but I really, seriously need to study. I filled a 3" binder with 1 manual of stuff I need to have down ideally before I get there. Freaking out a little. Just like Ironman training though, I'm trying to take it in small chunks day by day and not get intimidated by the end piece. (Though I did this for years so I shouldn't be too worried...or so one would think). Hahaha.
Ah well, maybe for procrastination I'll finally change that flat on my tri bike... :P

2017-08-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #5226708

User image

, Vermont
So I haven't changed my tire..Hahahaha
Walked the dog with the boys this morning and got in a 2.5 mile run and put a 1 minute walk in the middle. Left knee is tight but generally felt okay! I decided to set up an appointment with my PT to work on hip strength and stave off any future issues (hopefully). I haven't been since last November. I'm hoping to get some good exercises I can do while in training. -got a long row to hoe over the next 11 months to IMLP!
2017-09-18 9:36 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Did the tire get changed?

I saw IMMT is open for 2018. Hmmm.

6 days out!

I'm tapering. And no, I don't go crazy when I taper. Ha ha. I'm awesome at tapering!!
2017-09-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: #5226811

User image

, Vermont
Eeek! That's next weekend!! How is everything feeling??? Enjoy that taper! Praying for good weather for you!!

No, the tire has not been changed. :/
I haven't been home in 2.5 weeks and won't be home for another 3 weeks, I get a week off then back for two more weeks. Lots of training. I get out to run here and there but the schedule is super tight. I'm also in St, Louis where the riots are and am literally two streets over from Ferguson so any running I do is on the treadmill. I plan to get a couple of short runs in this weekend but the real goal is to do my best to eat healthy for two months while on the road - not easy. Everything is loaded with sodium. It's hard to prep anything in a hotel room when all you have is a fridge. There's a microwave down the hall so lots of oatmeal for breakfast at least, ham sandwich and an apple each day for lunch and a baby bell cheese for a snack and almonds. Dinner is the hardest but I'll make it. Hahaha. Lots of studying - wish I had studied this hard in college!!

Keep me posted this week on taper!!! I need an outlet away from flight training! I'm so excited for you!!
2017-09-25 9:30 PM
in reply to: #5228417

User image

, Vermont
14:07 unofficial?! That's awesome!!! Congratulations!!!
2017-09-26 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by aviatrix802

14:07 unofficial?! That's awesome!!! Congratulations!!!

Oh man, you're in STL? I'm sorry. ha ha. I'm only 4 hours from you. I hate STL. LOL. It's a cross-state rivalry thing.

Yea, the day went well. So much to write/talk about. Super super short report.

On Wed 9/20 I went on a short, but hard hilly run over my lunch break. 4 miles. Afterward, my knee was a bit sore. It was a radiating pain and only got worse. It was throbbing very badly on Thursday and Friday. I had to take Ibuprofen to sleep. I wasn't sure what was wrong, but it was a different knee pain that I had. I tried to hide it from my crew that traveled with me, but I was really worried about it. The pain dissipated by Saturday and I was nervous about it but feeling better.

Race day:
Morning of race, I downed an English muffin with peanut butter and honey, bowl of oatmeal and a yogurt. I ate too fast. Then, I sat in line during the swim start for 2 hours. I should have eaten more slowly and taken some food with me to the line.
Swim was good.
Bike was good. I had to focus on riding SOOOO slow and easy. It's really hard not to chase down people knowing I was faster, but I kept good discipline. Early in the bike, I had to do #2. My stomach was uncomfortable. I was ok for riding, but not 100% comfortable. I think my speed eating may have aggravated this. Mile 55-ish, I stopped and eliminated (only triathletes share this sort of info as pertinent facts about a sporting event! ha!).

I had Infinit and waffles and was on track nutrition wise, but I messed up and only packed 6 bottles of Infinit. I needed 7. So at mile 95 I was out with about 20 miles to go. I used Gatorade endurance mixed with water (yuk!!).

I felt really good up until about mile 100 than was not feeling super.
At T2, I eliminated again, and set out for the run.

Fully expecting my knee to really hurt, I felt a bit of discomfort, but by mile 2 it was all but gone. I started feeling a bit queasy. About mile 4-5 I started getting really nauseous. I couldn't stomach my blocks or my Skratch Hydration mix. It was hot (low 90s) so I was doing ice and water.

My mile 8-13, I was in the awful hills of the Choo run course and was feeling awful. I felt myself starting to lose consciousness a few times (like I was going to sleep on the run). I got to special needs and grabbed some blocks that had caffeine. I started taking the chicken broth at the aid stations. I committed myself to run/walk 5:1 from mile 13-21 since it was flattish. I rallied a bit and then got to the Choo hills where I just survived.

I finished, and all in all, the day was a success. Knee was never a factor. My nutrition was off. One of my big fears with IM racing is that it requires you to be a chemist, and I'm terrible at science! Sure enough, I think that did me in.

I had no real expectations. I didn't have a goal time. I did expect to run a better marathon than 5hr 40 minutes! Ha! But, all in all, it was a good experience. It was awful. I hated it, but the experience was awesome. Chattanooga was awesome. Great city, wonderful support, etc.

At mile 13 of the run, I pulled out some pictures of my kids and wife. I looked at them and faced the conversation I would have to have with them: "kids, daddy wanted to do the Ironman, but it was really hard, and I just wasn't strong enough".

I knew that I was not willing to have that conversation. Caffeine, some chicken broth and those few thoughts sort of turned me around. I was ready to quit but didn't. I was honestly most afraid I would pass out and be taken off by medical. But I didn't. 40 hours later, I'm sore and have a few chafes and blisters, but I don't feel bad at all.

2017-09-27 11:26 PM
in reply to: #5228688

User image

, Vermont
Super, super proud of you!! Way to gut through the GI issues. That's so not fun. Gatorade kills me too, I have a hard time stomaching it, especially with shotblox. There is so much more I want to write - good initial report! Keep writing things down so you can remember it well for later planning - include the good, the bad and the ugly! I am so happy the knee didn't flare up on you - talk about mental stress in the days leading up to the race.
Rest up and take some walks to shake things out. Keep eating!

Must go to bed, it's late and I have early class. I'm going to dream triathlon dreams tonight!! Thank you!!
2017-10-20 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Kansas City Marathon tomorrow! Why did I sign up? I don't know!!

I haven't done much running since Choo. A 10 miler, an 8 and a handful of 3-4s. We'll see.....

hope all is well.
2017-10-21 8:46 PM
in reply to: #5228848

User image

, Vermont
Holy smokes!!! Clearly you’re recovered from IMChoo!! Good for you!!

I’m back in STL again for another almost two weeks. I took my 2 hour oral test this morning. I’m exhausted - woke up at 03:15...not because I wanted to. It went well and I passed.
I start sim training tomorrow. I’m pretty excited about that. My checkride is on Halloween followed by one last sim on Nov 1st and I’ll be done. I can’t wait to leave this place. Hopefully all goes well because I’ve got to get my butt in gear for IM training!!

So how many marathons have you done and do you find them to be more difficult than an IM? I’ve heard folks say they’re harder from the standpoint you push yourself and it’s just harder on your body. I suppose that makes sense because biking would actually get you loosened and warmed up for the run (and by that point you’re looking at an overall finish time versus a stand-alone time). I’m just curious. I’ve never done a full marathon, only a bunch of halfs.
2017-10-22 9:55 PM
in reply to: #5230020

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
My first ever marathon was at IM Choo.
So this is my 2nd marathon and I signed up months ago. Not sure how recovered I am but I felt pretty decent.

I would say heck no, a IM is way harder. The marathon was rough, but I only dealt with 1/10 of the troubles on the Mary I had on the IM. I hit a wall at mile 22 and in Choo, I hit that wall at Mile 3-ish.

I have heard people say a marathon is harder than a 70.3. Honestly, I actually thought about that quite a bit during the run. In my mind (before mile 22 I decided this) I think a 70.3 is harder. My main reasoning is the elements. Most marathons (or big running events) are conveniently scheduled in the Spring or fall with cooler Temps. Almost all of my triathlons have been in, or near, summer. By the time you hit the run in a 70.3, the heat is on. Also, tris have to take place near water, which may/may not be in proximity to shade. For instance, all of my 70.3s (2x each in New Orleans and Alton, IL) were flat and unprotected from the sun. It was freaking hot. The KC Marathon was beautiful, with a scenic route, including all the sites and tons of shady neighborhoods.

I guess alot of it just depends on how hard you push it.

My wife did her first marathon last year only 6 days after IM Lou. That was stupid, and of course the marathon was harder. But that had more. To do with the timing of the event, I think.
2017-10-23 6:03 AM
in reply to: #5230044

User image

, Vermont
Well that makes perfect sense to me! Great post-race picture!
So what’s on your docket now? Didn’t you do Disney last year? Shorter runs like turkey trots and Jan 1st midnight runs?

I’m back in St. Louis in the last phase of training. I had my oral on Saturday and first simulator yesterday, second today. Haven’t slept well since I’ve been back, not sure why. I haven’t been running at all in the last two weeks - literally studying 24/7. (Probably why I haven’t slept) I hope to complete training and it goes well and I can get out of here and head back home. Hubby has been my hero taking care of things at home without me for a long time, but it was good for me to leave for a bit - they’re all much more independent now. Hahahaha!!

2017-12-04 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
So, 2018 plans are taking shape. We signed up for Savageman triathlon! woo hoo!
2017-12-08 2:52 PM
in reply to: #5230047

User image

, Vermont
Nice!!! What’s the date on that one?
I’m trying to figure out how to fit any kind of training in with working crazy hours and living in hotels. Blah. Hahaha
2017-12-11 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
/

Nice!!! What’s the date on that one?
I’m trying to figure out how to fit any kind of training in with working crazy hours and living in hotels. Blah. Hahaha

9/17-18 in Deep Creek MD. Yea...it definitely seems like your life has changed dramatically. It's definitely far different than an 8-5 office job . Much much different.
2017-12-15 7:17 PM
in reply to: #5232347

User image

, Vermont
Yeah, boys aren’t thrilled I wasn’t home for Thanksgiving and won’t be home for Christmas either. Nothing I can do about it though. They’re in the Christmas pageant at our church this upcoming weekend. I told my hubby to take lots of pictures.

The next thing is to figure out how to train effectively while doing this. Some of these days I work are super long and you’re just wiped out by the end and you don’t always get the best sleep in hotels. I’ll figure it out eventually but Christmas is in ten days and that’s when I’m supposed to start my 30 week IMLP plan and I haven’t been in a pool in months or on a bike either! Ack! Hahaha.
If you have ideas of good workouts I can do with no equipment, I’m all ears. I think I need to create a document for myself of exercises.
Gotta go - just got a trip.
2018-01-03 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Happy New Year!!!

your life has definitely changed and I hope it is for the better. Too bad about missing Christmas with the kids.

I'm not sure how IM fits into 2018 for you. Sounds like things are complex.

My schedule is shaping up:

5K / Polar Plunge 1/27
10k 1/28
50k 2/24 Trail Run (wha???)
Oly tri 5/13
Savageman 20/20 9/15
Savageman 60 9/16
marathon 10/20

I'm sure I'll sprinkle a couple more tris in there. Trail running is proving to be fun.

2018-01-13 12:42 PM
in reply to: #5232823

User image

, Vermont
Wow! That’s a fantastic schedule!! Good luck!!

I’m still signed up for IMLP but truly don’t know how it’s going to pan out. I finally got back on my trainer for the first time in 9 months - time to build those butt callouses back up! Hahaha.
2018-01-15 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Wow! That’s a fantastic schedule!! Good luck!!

I’m still signed up for IMLP but truly don’t know how it’s going to pan out. I finally got back on my trainer for the first time in 9 months - time to build those butt callouses back up! Hahaha.

Wife and I basically only watch stupid, off-color comedies. We started watching a new series called LA-to-Vegas. I've thought about you a few times as it takes place on a flight that flies in Vegas daily. Ha ha.
2018-01-16 11:34 PM
in reply to: #5235076

User image

, Vermont
I want to see that!! I’ve seen the trailers, is it as funny as I hope??? Hahahaha
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2007
author : NDeBoom
comments : 1
Our members chat with Nicole DeBoom on Ironman nutrition strategy, Ironman training philosophy, off-season focus, her 'secret' IM food, favorite races, and her new clothing line and race series.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.