General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin splints and the comeback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-19 10:30 PM

Subject: shin splints and the comeback
Excruciating pain in both shins half way through a couch to 5k program. Had to stop running. Pain free now after multiple appts with an excersise physiologist and no running for 6 weeks. EP says to work on my core strength as there's a correlation between weak core muscles and shin splints. So what can one do to prevent this from happening again? If I get them again I'll be forced to either drop out of my half ironman or walk the entire half marathon.
Thanks

2014-09-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: respro

Subject: RE: shin splints and the comeback
It is very little known about the causes, mechanism and prevention of shin splints.

Causes may include: suddenly increasing running distance or intensity, or running downhill, especially when slapping with forefeet to the ground. From my experience, running or walking when you feel you should not, can cause shin splints.

Large calf girth and moving hips back/forward are another possible causes.

The only possibly effective prevention I've read about are custom made cushion insoles.

Probably not effective: different types of shoes (supinator, pronator), running techique (posetech, chi), stretching exercises, tapping, calf massage...

http://www.ehealthstar.com/conditions/shin-splints
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shin splints and the comeback Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is shin tightness when running shin splints?

Started by Fechter99
Views: 14665 Posts: 11

2008-09-08 12:48 PM Fechter99

Shin Splints Pages: 1 2

Started by uberbeginner
Views: 3581 Posts: 34

2005-03-16 4:48 PM andyc

Shin Splints/Stress Fracture

Started by srstephen
Views: 1545 Posts: 5

2005-01-16 8:24 PM sty

Shin Splints

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1232 Posts: 6

2004-11-08 4:24 PM twinstrimom

Shin Splints II

Started by rrog
Views: 1921 Posts: 10

2004-08-05 3:52 PM sparky
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a sharp pain in my leg. I feel this throughout daily activities and while sitting at my desk as well. It has been ongoing, progressively worse, and much much more intense the past few weeks.

date : September 9, 2010
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
date : August 24, 2009
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : October 7, 2008
author : blitzney
comments : 1
Home for the summer, lab tech college student trains and completes first triathlon!
date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.

date : November 6, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.
date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
Shin splints occur in up to 13.1% of all runners. Sixty-percent of those presented with this complaint have errors in training.