General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Active Release Technique or Graston Technique Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-20 1:30 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: Active Release Technique or Graston Technique
Any experience with either??? Pros/Cons??? Any good places in JocoLand??

I've had on going calf/soleus issues over the past 2-3 years. Looking to try something more than, "The Stick", calf raises, stretching, etc...

2014-05-20 2:26 PM
in reply to: coyote39

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Active Release Technique or Graston Technique
Originally posted by coyote39

Any experience with either??? Pros/Cons??? Any good places in JocoLand??

I've had on going calf/soleus issues over the past 2-3 years. Looking to try something more than, "The Stick", calf raises, stretching, etc...

I've had both. Personally, I don't feel that either are good for me. I know lots of people swear by both techniques. I had a pretty painful case of achilles tendinosis 2 years ago and saw someone who did Graston on it. I'm not sure that it worked, but I was able to race a few weeks later...which is really all I cared about.

The F.I,T. muscle joiny clinic in Shawnee is where I went and would go back to (If I ever wanted to) for both of these.
2014-05-20 2:38 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Steve In a Speedo was discussing it on his blog just the other day.
2014-05-20 5:12 PM
in reply to: coyote39

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
I have more experience than I'd like with both ART and Graston over the last 2-3 years, IT band at both the hip and knee ends as well as some calf/achilles issues. In my experience it is an immediate but temporary relief, without adequate stretching/strengthening on your own, it won't last or improve. It is hard to put a number to the value of something like this, if pressed I'd say it might cut your recovery time in half, perhaps allow you to train through something that would otherwise require downtime to recover from.

The only downside I can think of is the cost (time and $$$) and what some might describe as a "mild discomfort" during some treatments.

I can recommend Advanced Chiropractic and Rehab in Olathe, on Hwy 169 south of 151st, http://advancedchiropractickc.com/.Definitely plenty of triathlon relevant treatment experience, I think they were at the KS70.3 Expo last year, and their treatment has always gone beyond hitting you with Active Release or Graston and sending you on your way, they'll set you up with a few very specific stretches and exercises, walk you through them, etc.

I've only been once this year due to a change in insurance and a better focus on "prehab" through the offseason, knock on wood, but I'll likely get lazy and stop the prehab or do something dumb and then I'll be back.

Full disclosure: I don't work there or have any business interest, but if you tell them Mike Carlson sent you, I'll probably get $25 off my next visit.
2014-05-25 11:38 PM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
I will second Mike's suggestion. I am currently seeing doctor Iodice over achilles injury. They are using both techniques plus dry needling as well. I don't need to give my N=1, however this is my 3rd injury of same kind and I do have a problem that I will have to address long term.
I have been back to running 2 full weeks, now at 30mi. I can run only so fast as the achilles will allow, otherwise gets angry. I can run, but it is not discomfort free and it was presented to me that it will be like that for some time. I highly recommend the office.
I got injured while reaching the the levels of fitness never achieved before. For me, excessive cycling training and fatigue/ tightness helped onset the injury. Weak hips/ gluteus, tight IT band are the reason.
I have IMCDA in a month. I have adjusted my run goal down.........Prior to injury, stars were aligning around sub 3:30 run off the bike, now.......hmmmm, survival maybe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Active Release Technique or Graston Technique Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2012
author : PosiChiro.com
comments : 0
Dr. Kathy Coutinho’s presentation will discuss how to attain ultimate form and balance to maximize your body’s athletic function, includes many techniques for injury prevention.

date : August 10, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 1
Efficiency and energy conservation are key to faster cycling
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : April 19, 2009
The goals of these treatments are to reduce the need for splints, braces, and anti-inflammatory medications while allowing the patient to continue in their activity of choice during treatment.

date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.
date : March 16, 2009
Learn how ART therapy can provide an alternative treatment for conditions such as sprains, strains, tendonitis and tendinosis.

date : July 30, 2006
Besides the obvious rest and strengthening/PT around the ankles, what can I do to further find the root cause and correct it? Also, what are doctors’ stances on active release?