BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-07-10 9:45 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open

My GranFondo is this Sunday but it isn't considered to be a race although, lots of people do race it.  It is supposed to be a fun ride with 2500 or so new friends and pleasant leisurely stops at the AID stations for brief rest breaks.  There is even a stop at Le Vieux Pin Winery for a gourmet lunch including things like smoked salmon (not a full lunch just typical snacks plus the gourmet treats).

I'm thinking I don't want to stop too long anywhere because I want to get as far as I can before the heat hits.  We'll see 40+C/104F in the open sun.

2014-07-11 4:57 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Fantastic dreams! I never remember very much of mine...I wake up with the memory but it fades quickly. Generally I just remember the feeling, usually confusion with a rising hint of panic.

George, take care of yourself in the heat. I usually find it's easier to cope with on the bike (easier than a run, that is) simply because you've got the air movement. Plenty of water/sports drink, sunscreen (reapply when sweating a lot), sunglasses, lip balm containing sunscreen also. A good brim on your helmet and sometimes a little cape from the back of it to shade your neck. Pale coloured clothes. Oh! most important thing: ice cold beer at the end. You can visualise it during the ride, too, frothing nicely in its glass with little drops of condensation running down the side...Ahhh....

2014-07-11 7:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a dream two nights before my tri a couple weeks ago that really freaked me out. For some reason the tri was at my parents' house. There was a pool in the first floor or like, on a deck or something (my parents don't actually have a pool at all), and you had to swim so many laps. I was swimming my laps, and everyone seemed to be skipping some and moving on to the bike. I was trying to stay honest, but was really upset b/c everyone else was biking (in my parents' backyard?!) already. That's pretty much all I remember, I think I woke up while I was trying to get out of the pool or something. Definitely had me really nervous, but I'm glad it was two nights before instead of the night before!

George, you have gotten a lot of really good advice, but I think Anna had the best tip with the ice cold beer at the end!!! Sounds like a great event (I had never heard of a GranFondo before so I had to google, but now of course I want to try one out)! Have a great time, and good luck with the heat!
2014-07-11 8:50 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

My GranFondo is this Sunday but it isn't considered to be a race although, lots of people do race it.  It is supposed to be a fun ride with 2500 or so new friends and pleasant leisurely stops at the AID stations for brief rest breaks.  There is even a stop at Le Vieux Pin Winery for a gourmet lunch including things like smoked salmon (not a full lunch just typical snacks plus the gourmet treats).

I'm thinking I don't want to stop too long anywhere because I want to get as far as I can before the heat hits.  We'll see 40+C/104F in the open sun.

Have fun and take it easy when it gets hot. Stop and take some pics. It's a good excuse for a break.
2014-07-12 12:14 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Anna - I had forgotten about lip balm so thanks for that bit of advice.  I have it in my hand right now (I type with two fingers).  I'm planning to drink two bottles of water (40oz including Perpetuem in one of the bottles) at each AID station plus I'll eat some honey stinger waffles and chews.  Our registration includes an ice cold beer at the finish line and you can bet it will be a strong motivator while I'm out in the heat.  Plus, the fellow I'm riding with doesn't drink so I'll get his beer as well.  I'll be afraid to drink more than two after a 7hour ride. 

Nicole - I've seen race reports for GranFondo's in the US so there may be one near you.  I know of 6#/year here in our province so there has to be a lot of them around.

Mike - I hadn't planned on taking my camera but I'll consider it.  There is quite a bit of scenery to take pics of.  I had tried to load some pics on BT before and followed your advice but I couldn't get the pics to open.

I spent the day at the Package Pick-up greeting people and getting them their packages.  It was a lot of fun talking to people and getting excited about the ride.  A lot of people were changing to the MedioFondo (92km) so they'll be finished before the real heat hits.  Many others were anxious about how hot it will be.  I'm not looking forward to the heat but I'm sure I can make it to the 120km mark and if I can get to the 140km mark then I'm certain I'll be able to finish (the last 16km/10mi is almost all downhill and goes fast).  I just wish I was a lot faster.  But at the same time I'm pretty certain the heat will slow me down.

2014-07-12 7:08 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
George

Good luck on the Fondo. Riding under the heat sucks but manageable. Leave one bottle nothing but water drink it,splash to yourself. I use a Tri suit so i dont feel soaked from the water. Dont worry about getting fast for long rides under the heat i use my best ventilated helmet.

Gary one last thing dont yell "Water!!! Gatorade!!!!" to the volunteer you'll get a confused stare... joke joke i know you know you have done an iron distance relay bike before.

Have fun and goodluck i like long rides i get to talk to people on the road.

goodluck man!!!

Cheers!!

2014-07-12 11:16 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Thanks Carlo, I am looking forward to the ride and not expecting to set any personal records in the heat.  I agree with you that chatting with people along the way is part of the fun.  I think tomorrow will be more about fun and survival than speed.

Today I got my bike and Perpetuem ready and pretty much just have to get up early and go.  Spent the day with the fellow I'm riding with tomorrow and we went and watched the "PicoloFondo" a series of races for the kids of the riders registered for the GranFondo.  It was absolutely amazing and amusing to watch.  The first three races were the youngest kids and they were really into the race.  Just watching them race by was priceless.

The last two races were for the older kids and they were really into the competition.  There were a lot of kids riding nicer bikes than mine and some of them were amazingly fast.  If you ever get a chance to watch a "Kids of Steel" race or "PicoloFondo" definitely check it out.

2014-07-13 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I finished the ride.  It was a lot slower than I had hoped.  My riding time was approx. 7hrs but total time with stops was about 8:12.  My first 4 hrs were great and fairly fast but in the heat my pace slowed dramatically and my stops at the last 4 AID stations got progressively longer.

My bike computer got as high as 44.44C/112F and it was just baking hot.  Like riding in a blast furnace.  Lots of people were dropping out and every little bit of shade had riders hiding for awhile from the sun.  It was so hot I had to walk up two hills that I've been able to ride easily in the past.  At the fifth AID Stn I met a fellow that had finished Challenge Black Forest a month ago - A full distance race so pretty fit and he was finished and dropping out due to the heat.

My friend Greg was hyperthermic when he finished the race (ahead of me).  Fortunately his girlfriend is a nurse and she covered him in ice cold towels.  By the time I finished he was much better.

By the time I finished I was glad to get off the bike and I managed to dismount without difficulty (I was worried about that) and I felt pretty good.  I got my socks and shoes off PDQ and sat down while my wife and friends brought me popsicles (the BEST!!) and tried to get me to eat chips, bananas and water but I didn't want anything but the popsicles and my BEER!  I never did get my burger - I just didn't want to eat anything.  After the beer we walked over to the lake and went in to try and cool off.  It felt really good to go right under.

I am majorly wiped out and don't have any stats yet so I'll write a race report tomorrow or soon.  I'm taking tomorrow off.  I do have one stat.  I wore my Garmin just to keep track of my climbing and it was 1664m/5459feet.  Maximum grade was 20% - not sure which hill that was.

2014-07-13 10:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I finished the ride.  It was a lot slower than I had hoped.  My riding time was approx. 7hrs but total time with stops was about 8:12.  My first 4 hrs were great and fairly fast but in the heat my pace slowed dramatically and my stops at the last 4 AID stations got progressively longer.

My bike computer got as high as 44.44C/112F and it was just baking hot.  Like riding in a blast furnace.  Lots of people were dropping out and every little bit of shade had riders hiding for awhile from the sun.  It was so hot I had to walk up two hills that I've been able to ride easily in the past.  At the fifth AID Stn I met a fellow that had finished Challenge Black Forest a month ago - A full distance race so pretty fit and he was finished and dropping out due to the heat.

My friend Greg was hyperthermic when he finished the race (ahead of me).  Fortunately his girlfriend is a nurse and she covered him in ice cold towels.  By the time I finished he was much better.

By the time I finished I was glad to get off the bike and I managed to dismount without difficulty (I was worried about that) and I felt pretty good.  I got my socks and shoes off PDQ and sat down while my wife and friends brought me popsicles (the BEST!!) and tried to get me to eat chips, bananas and water but I didn't want anything but the popsicles and my BEER!  I never did get my burger - I just didn't want to eat anything.  After the beer we walked over to the lake and went in to try and cool off.  It felt really good to go right under.

I am majorly wiped out and don't have any stats yet so I'll write a race report tomorrow or soon.  I'm taking tomorrow off.  I do have one stat.  I wore my Garmin just to keep track of my climbing and it was 1664m/5459feet.  Maximum grade was 20% - not sure which hill that was.

Congrats! Thanks for posting so soon. I looked up the weather for Pentictcon this morning and saw the temps were expected to be over 100 and was thinking of your ride. Nice ride!
2014-07-14 8:29 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So glad you finished, congrats! That sounds like brutal heat, but I'm sure it feels great to know you did it.

I am like you, when I am overheated I can't eat anything, so anytime I work out I need to wait at least an hour before I eat anything substantial.

I will definitely be looking for one of these near me, although I will probably try to find one in the spring or fall to avoid any crazy heat!

Congrats again :-)
2014-07-14 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Wow George, sounds like super intense heat! I'm so impressed you did it. Over 100 deg F and I don't even want to go outside!!

2014-07-14 1:58 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

George, you are more than human. That's all I can say. There's really no other challenge that could knock you down. That's amazing!

2014-07-15 4:46 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great report, George, sounds like a real effort, and I bet those beers went down very fast! 

2014-07-16 12:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Its kind of late but I finally finished and posted my Race Report and I'll try and put a link to it.  It is kind of long and I didn't re-read it so it may not be as coherent as I'd hope so don't feel obligated to read it unless you want to.

Granfondo Axel Merckx

I hope the link works.

2014-07-16 4:11 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great race report, George, it sounds like an epic day's training! I really had no idea Canada could produce those sort of temperatures. I had to look up google maps, it makes more sense now I see you're a fair way from the coast. I have a 100km ride next weekend (that'll be my longest ever) but the temps here probably won't exceed 23C.

2014-07-16 8:51 AM

User image

Got MRI interpretation: The Ortho says it's a strain of the ACL. Nothing torn. No surgery needed. He said it takes between 3 and 6 weeks for these to totally heal up, assuming no further injury. It's been 9 days of rest so far. He recommended using a knee stabilizing brace and rest and gradual return to activity. Hamstring strengthening exercises too. I'm virtually pain free at this point and jogged/ran for 20 min with the brace this morning. Felt fine. Will skip 5k race tomorrow night and will go light on the running up until my August 2 sprint. Hopefully that will do the trick.

2014-07-16 8:56 AM

User image

Saw this blind little bugger this morning just strolling down the sidewalk. Did not even see me and then just ducked into some bushes. Sorry for the blurry pic.

(armadillo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
armadillo.JPG (139KB - 2 downloads)
2014-07-16 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Cool armadillo pic! Gary, man, you gotta toughen up and stop straining stuff.

This morning I did my short, hilly bike ride. I ran into a woman who was riding from Virginia to Oregon! She had a sweet set-up. Nice set o'bags on her back wheel, covered by solar panels. She was not prepared for the crazy hills in this 6 mile stretch. I did not envy her with 50 extra lbs on her bike!

2014-07-16 10:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
George - Great RR! Sounds like a really neat experience, and I'm still very impressed you did all that in those crazy temperatures.

Gary - Very cool picture! Definitely don't see those in the streets of Baltimore (although we probably have rats about the same size...gross).
Also, that stinks about your ACL, but at least it wasn't worse than a strain. Good luck with your recovery!
2014-07-16 10:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Got MRI interpretation: The Ortho says it's a strain of the ACL. Nothing torn. No surgery needed. He said it takes between 3 and 6 weeks for these to totally heal up, assuming no further injury. It's been 9 days of rest so far. He recommended using a knee stabilizing brace and rest and gradual return to activity. Hamstring strengthening exercises too. I'm virtually pain free at this point and jogged/ran for 20 min with the brace this morning. Felt fine. Will skip 5k race tomorrow night and will go light on the running up until my August 2 sprint. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Great news that it's just a strain!

Edited by ransick 2014-07-16 10:55 PM
2014-07-17 2:31 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by miche033

Cool armadillo pic! Gary, man, you gotta toughen up and stop straining stuff.

This morning I did my short, hilly bike ride. I ran into a woman who was riding from Virginia to Oregon! She had a sweet set-up. Nice set o'bags on her back wheel, covered by solar panels. She was not prepared for the crazy hills in this 6 mile stretch. I did not envy her with 50 extra lbs on her bike!

if she is trying to get to oregon and can't handle hills in virginia, she is kind of screwed, isn't she??

2014-07-17 4:13 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Gary, good to hear it's an ACL strain, not a tear. Look after it though! Progression would be bad...

2014-07-17 8:12 AM

User image

Thanks, all! No discomfort today after yesterday's test run. Will take it easy and just have a longer-than-planned running taper before my race in a couple weeks.

This has definitely been a very odd few training months. I'm used to having a training schedule and religiously sticking with it. This time, I've been training longer, but have had interruptions and changes due to injuries and rehab and vacation, etc. I know my body will be fine for the race. It's really the mental groove that I have not gotten into yet. For example, my swim is fine, but my swim confidence is a little shaky. Very preoccupied with form, my physical sensations, and the like. Need to practice sighting, relaxing in the water, etc. Also, need to start practicing transitions and doing more bricks.

My race is not my "A" race but I'd like to feel good about my performance at the same time. Maybe I should think about it as a test race. A way to shake off the cobwebs and size up my fitness and race readiness before I sign up for any more races just yet.

Thoughts?
2014-07-17 10:59 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by PsyTri  My race is not my "A" race but I'd like to feel good about my performance at the same time. Maybe I should think about it as a test race. A way to shake off the cobwebs and size up my fitness and race readiness before I sign up for any more races just yet. Thoughts?

That sounds like a very sensible headspace to be in. It's another day of training, albeit one that's more intense, with more people, and with someone else timing you. Perfect!

2014-07-17 11:04 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I've been having those triathlon dreams lately....two in a week now, obviously my subconcious is trying to tell me something. A few nights ago it was a swim in an old factory followed but a run up flights and flights of stairs carrying my 4 year old daughter (what's she doing here?), last night it was a never ending bike leg where I got completely lost and my bike was getting harder and harder to pedal, the gears were stuck...I realised my chain had fallen off and was jamming. Then I woke up, thank goodness. 

I think I have to train harder so I'm more exhausted at night and don't dream.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37412 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72763 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.