BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-07-18 12:02 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open

Hi All, I drove to Kelowna today and picked up my package for Saturday's "Across the Lake" swim.  It is only 2100m so I haven't spent much time preparing for it.  Now for anyone looking for a challenging swim the same people have a "Rattlesnake Island Swim" coming up in 3 weeks (Aug 9th).  The 3.1km one-way swim is sold out but the 7.1km there and back swim is still open (from Peachland across the lake and around the island then back).  Anyone interested?  It can be quite rough and a strong current.  A fellow I swim with did it last year and he figures he was closer to 8km by the time he got back to Peachland and he was wondering if it was ever going to end.

Anna - We are better known for our cold weather for sure but the Okanagan valley gets quite warm.  At home here we grow raspberries, blackberries and grapes.  We're also thinking of adding some blueberries (we used to have peaches, nectarines and cherries as well).  We only rarely use our vehicles air conditioning (used it today) but what we really appreciate is heated car seats that we use every day in the winter.  Now that is serious luxury, eh.

Enjoy your 100km bike ride.  What are you planning to do for hydration and nutrition?  Let us know how it goes.

Miche - The lady you met may not have been prepared for the hills you were riding but by the end of her ride she'll be prepared for any hill or wind she meets.  Last year we met a fellow from Philadelphia that was cycling across Canada.  Had a nice chat with him and replenished all his warm water with nice cool water.

Gary - I hope you're right that nothing can knock me down.  It may come in handy for my HIM.  No matter what I do or how strong I get I will always feel like I should have prepared more or better than I have (which I think is what you are feeling just now - so trust in the magical powers of the taper - you have done enough).

With regards to your next event, as a test race is not a bad idea.  It isn't so long that you are risking too much and even as a test event you'll still go pretty near to as fast as you can.  Ssooo, have fun but listen very carefully to your knee/AC lig and if you feel something isn't right then quit because this event is only a Sprint and not worth risking serious injury.  Does that make any sense?

Nicole - I hope you get to ride a good GranFondo type ride.  I've really enjoyed mine.  This was my 5th so far.  On my bucket list I also have the Tour de Victoria 140km (Vancouver Island); Whistler GranFondo (tough climbing I hear); Tour de Alberta (killer winds).  I'd love to read your race report for a GF.

2014-07-18 6:42 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Thanks, George! You da man! Those are some serious swims and rides you are doing. The HIM should be nothing for you!

Things are progressing. I did a 22 mile z2/z3 ride this morning, which is a nice distance for me. Felt good. Wore the knee brace, which probably helped. Hitting the intracoastal waterway tomorrow for a swim -- there's actually a stretch of it with a beachfront, with a lifeguard, etc. It's a short course, but good for practicing OWS skills.
2014-07-18 9:40 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Thanks, all! No discomfort today after yesterday's test run. Will take it easy and just have a longer-than-planned running taper before my race in a couple weeks.

This has definitely been a very odd few training months. I'm used to having a training schedule and religiously sticking with it. This time, I've been training longer, but have had interruptions and changes due to injuries and rehab and vacation, etc. I know my body will be fine for the race. It's really the mental groove that I have not gotten into yet. For example, my swim is fine, but my swim confidence is a little shaky. Very preoccupied with form, my physical sensations, and the like. Need to practice sighting, relaxing in the water, etc. Also, need to start practicing transitions and doing more bricks.

My race is not my "A" race but I'd like to feel good about my performance at the same time. Maybe I should think about it as a test race. A way to shake off the cobwebs and size up my fitness and race readiness before I sign up for any more races just yet.

Thoughts?

Thinking of it as a test race is perfect.
2014-07-18 9:43 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Taringa

I've been having those triathlon dreams lately....two in a week now, obviously my subconcious is trying to tell me something. A few nights ago it was a swim in an old factory followed but a run up flights and flights of stairs carrying my 4 year old daughter (what's she doing here?), last night it was a never ending bike leg where I got completely lost and my bike was getting harder and harder to pedal, the gears were stuck...I realised my chain had fallen off and was jamming. Then I woke up, thank goodness. 

I think I have to train harder so I'm more exhausted at night and don't dream.

Those dreams are stressful and frustrating but kind of funny after you wake up and get over it :-).
2014-07-20 12:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I swam my "Across the Lake Swim" today.  It was a decent day for me even though I was considerably slower than I had hoped but I finished strong and felt good.  My race report isn't too interesting because it was just a swim but here it is:

Across the Lake Swim

I'm looking forward to a relaxing day tomorrow.

2014-07-20 4:02 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great report George, it just goes to show that "just a swim" is never really just a swim, especilly in open water. Well done for making it across.

2014-07-20 1:56 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I swam my "Across the Lake Swim" today.  It was a decent day for me even though I was considerably slower than I had hoped but I finished strong and felt good.  My race report isn't too interesting because it was just a swim but here it is:

Across the Lake Swim

Awesome! That's crazy that the average swim time was 2x what it was last year. That makes your swim even more impressive. Good work!
2014-07-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
George, that swim sounded like a real challenge! Nice work in getting to the finish, I'm sure it feels great knowing you were not the only one who felt as though it was really tough.

I have been having some pain in my foot. It started on Friday. I did boot camp with my friends that morning and it didn't bother me at all, but then walking throughout the day was a struggle. I played volleyball that evening, but it continued hurting and was actually making my whole leg pretty sore. I spoke to a doctor that was at the courts and he said to give it a few days, and if it is still bothering me to go get an x-ray, that it may be a stress fracture. I've had them in my shins before, but never in my foot, so I'm a little worried. I took it easy for most of the weekend and it is feeling better, but is definitely still there. I am going to play volleyball tonight and see how it feels, maybe go see a doctor later this week if it's really bothering me. I haven't been training that much so I'm not really sure where it could be coming from.
2014-07-21 4:58 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Nicole - Might you have (or have access to) a tuning fork?  If you do tap the fork to get it vibrating then hold the bottom tip onto the bone at the point of your pain.  If it aggravates your pain it is likely fractured but if it remains unchanged then you're likely going to be fine.  The high pitch vibration sets the two edges of a fracture against each other and your body says, "Cut that out!"

Thanks for the comments Anna, Mike and Nicole.  While I was swimming it seemed like there wouldn't be much to put into a race report but I actually forgot to put a lot of things in.  I really found it neat to find myself swimming out in the middle of a big lake, more than a kilometre from any shore in any direction, and feeling quite comfortable.  On reflection, I think what saved me from a longer swim was the thought that my friend was passing me so I sped up and that got me to the finish.  Plus it was neat to learn that I actually can push myself.  In the end my friend was pulled from the lake near the 3hr mark.

Of the 6 other people I knew at the swim, 2 were pulled because they were just swimming in place (and both are competent swimmers); 2 finished in decent time for the day but much slower than they swam last year; and the other two were an hour or more longer than they expected.

I have Bad news and Good news.  The bad news (for me) is my oldest daughter turned 37 yesterday!  How the heck did she get so old?  The good news is she has decided to train for a Sprint next May.  So I might have to do a Sprint next year.

2014-07-21 10:15 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
George,

Awesome feeling of peace that you can swim "forever" (almost). I had that feeling at my last half (in perfectly calm conditions) and it was cool. Feeling that way in difficult conditions would give anyone huge confidence.

Awesome you might get to do a sprint with your daughter next year!
2014-07-22 7:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole - Might you have (or have access to) a tuning fork?  If you do tap the fork to get it vibrating then hold the bottom tip onto the bone at the point of your pain.  If it aggravates your pain it is likely fractured but if it remains unchanged then you're likely going to be fine.  The high pitch vibration sets the two edges of a fracture against each other and your body says, "Cut that out!"

Unfortunately I do not have access to a tuning fork. I made an appointment with a podiatrist this afternoon, so hopefully I go in and he just tells me I bruised it and to rest for a week or so :-) Fingers crossed!

2014-07-22 7:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i'm still gimping around from my sprain 6 weeks ago and the pain is getting worse.  not worse - duller, less acute, but more constant.  i go into see a podiatrist next monday.  until then i am just feeling really down and discouraged about trying any kind of exercise - my foot just balloons up and aches for hours after i do anything.  swimming is still OK, just inconvenient and boring, and with my pool set up in long course super full up of rude people.  everything else...just don't want to even test it.  maybe i can set up the bike trainer?  

ugh 

Edited by mehaner 2014-07-22 8:06 AM
2014-07-22 9:26 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
That is the worst feeling. Rest is the best thing for it, but it's so frustrating when you can't do anything! Must've been a really bad sprain! Are you sure nothing is torn or broken? I can't remember if you've seen a doctor or not.
2014-07-22 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e That is the worst feeling. Rest is the best thing for it, but it's so frustrating when you can't do anything! Must've been a really bad sprain! Are you sure nothing is torn or broken? I can't remember if you've seen a doctor or not.

i haven't been yet, especially because i waited 2 weeks and started running with no pain for short runs.  that didn't last, so appt set for next monday.

2014-07-22 10:12 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ugh, good luck! Hopefully it's nothing, but better safe than sorry. Let us know how it goes!
2014-07-22 10:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

i'm still gimping around from my sprain 6 weeks ago and the pain is getting worse.  not worse - duller, less acute, but more constant.  i go into see a podiatrist next monday.  until then i am just feeling really down and discouraged about trying any kind of exercise - my foot just balloons up and aches for hours after i do anything.  swimming is still OK, just inconvenient and boring, and with my pool set up in long course super full up of rude people.  everything else...just don't want to even test it.  maybe i can set up the bike trainer?  

ugh 

I can say that I relate. My injury symptoms seem to come and go. I am still getting good workouts in but have to stretch and ice and make my workouts less intense. The acute swelling sends up red flags for me. I think a doc visit is probably in order. In the mean time, work that core and swim. Also, can you get to the shore or a lake for OWS? Patience is hard to come by. They call it triathlon, but it's like there's a 4th discipline, which is the hardest - rest/recovery! Good luck and keep us posted.

2014-07-22 10:53 AM

User image

Across the Lake Swim

George - after toughing out a VERY short OWS yesterday due to my own uneasiness in the open water, I'm even MORE impressed by your fortitude. I have come to the conclusion that you are just part fish! I'm planning to get two more shoreline OWS's in before my race on August 2. I do think that buoys help me, though. It gives my mind a focus and helps with sighting. Just working to feel more relaxed in the water. It's a process. I thought I had made gains last year, but since it's been so long since I swam OWS, it'll just take repetitions and refinements to get to where I want to be.

I did see something cool, though. At the end of one OWS interval yesterday, I was swimming in toward the shore, and I saw something odd out of my peripheral vision in a couple feet of water. I thought it was a wave-like pattern in the sand from the surf or maybe a cloud of billowing sand kicked up by a wave. However, when I oriented toward it, it was a vortex of schooling fish, about 3-5 inches apiece. There must have been several hundred of them. It was really neat, but got me thinking what other predators might be nearby, which really helped with my final kick heading into the beach!

2014-07-22 10:34 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by mehaner

ugh 

Setting up the bike trainer and taking it easy sounds like a good idea to me.
2014-07-22 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All - I'm all packed and leaving early tomorrow morning for Alberta.  It should be a nice road trip.  I'm not sure if I'll have access to the internet so I may be quiet until next Wednesday. 

Nicole and Marilyn - Take care of yourselves.  Hopefully you'll both be back to normal soon.

Gary - I love swimming in our local lakes.  They're pretty clear, sandy shores and minimal weeds or mud.  If I were to swim in the ocean with you I'd be pretty nervous too.  Especially if the water was pretty deep. 

2014-07-23 7:53 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
George, enjoy your trip!!!

So I went to the doctor yesterday, and apparently I have Predislocation Syndrome, which if not taken care of, could lead to a nasty surgery (I googled it and found some gross pics). He tried to tell me I had to stop all high impact stuff for 6-8 weeks. I think he saw from my reaction that that is not an option, so I am going back in 2 weeks to re-assess (I caught it early, so I feel like that will make a difference). So looks like I am going to be going a lot of swimming in the next couple weeks...
2014-07-23 9:17 AM

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

George, enjoy your trip!!!

So I went to the doctor yesterday, and apparently I have Predislocation Syndrome, which if not taken care of, could lead to a nasty surgery (I googled it and found some gross pics). He tried to tell me I had to stop all high impact stuff for 6-8 weeks. I think he saw from my reaction that that is not an option, so I am going back in 2 weeks to re-assess (I caught it early, so I feel like that will make a difference). So looks like I am going to be going a lot of swimming in the next couple weeks...

Nicole: I never heard of Predislocation Syndrome. Is it like a weakening of the tendons? Is it an overuse thing? Either way, I wish you the best in your recovery. I think it's so important to catch things early by listening to our bodies and not ignoring the early warning signs. Good for you catching it now. I have to keep telling myself to think long term. I encourage you to as well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

George: I'm not sure it's an ocean thing. I think it's just an OWS thing. It may be increased heart rate from adrenaline and quicker pace, interruptions to balance and breathing from frequent sighting, etc. A little performance anxiety as well. Just want to get the point of relaxing and getting into my pace and enjoying the process. RE: ocean vs. lake, for these workout and races, we typically swim straight out from shore about 50 + yards, turn a buoy, swim the majority of the race parallel to the shore, turn the final buoy, and then return. The water is not usually that deep, but there are wave and surf to contend with, which makes it interesting. There are some local races in lakes or lagoons that involve navigation or traversing some body of water, but I have not tried any of those yet.

I did have a swim-bike-run brick workout this morning. Tried my best to simulate race conditions, and it was a good experience. Have some refinements to make in my fueling and transitions, but generally was very pleased.

2014-07-23 9:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Basically what the doctor said is I sprained a tendon on the bottom of my foot and stretched it out. Now the tendon on the top of my foot is pulling my 2nd toe up b/c the bottom tendon is so loose. I have to tape it down to give the bottom tendon some rest so it can regain it's tightness I guess.

I had never heard of it either. My doctor said "that's why you come to a specialist" haha.
2014-07-23 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e Basically what the doctor said is I sprained a tendon on the bottom of my foot and stretched it out. Now the tendon on the top of my foot is pulling my 2nd toe up b/c the bottom tendon is so loose. I have to tape it down to give the bottom tendon some rest so it can regain it's tightness I guess. I had never heard of it either. My doctor said "that's why you come to a specialist" haha.

ewww...but at least an answer is better than a mystery.  my foot keeps getting worse, hope my podiatrist can diagnose me as easily!

2014-07-23 9:34 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Hi All - I'm all packed and leaving early tomorrow morning for Alberta.  It should be a nice road trip.  I'm not sure if I'll have access to the internet so I may be quiet until next Wednesday. 

Nicole and Marilyn - Take care of yourselves.  Hopefully you'll both be back to normal soon.

Gary - I love swimming in our local lakes.  They're pretty clear, sandy shores and minimal weeds or mud.  If I were to swim in the ocean with you I'd be pretty nervous too.  Especially if the water was pretty deep. 

Have fun George!
2014-07-23 9:37 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by nicole14e

Basically what the doctor said is I sprained a tendon on the bottom of my foot and stretched it out. Now the tendon on the top of my foot is pulling my 2nd toe up b/c the bottom tendon is so loose. I have to tape it down to give the bottom tendon some rest so it can regain it's tightness I guess.

I had never heard of it either. My doctor said "that's why you come to a specialist" haha.

I've never used KT tape but that sounds like a good application for it. Maybe not while running but all other times to assist your loose tendon.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37209 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72636 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.