BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-08-09 6:30 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by PsyTri

Anyone ever done a functional threshold power test on a Compu trainer? Did one this AM since I am new on the bike and want to go about systematically improving. My FTP was about 190 with I think 2.4 w/kg. I'm exhausted! Think I'm going to sign up for som computrainer classes to see if I can improve my power.

I have never done a power test on a Compu trainer but it sounds like "fun" in a tough sort a way.

2014-08-11 9:36 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Revealing, but sobering. I have my work cut out for me! I think they do some type of "Sufferfest" program, so I will be suffering badly (good-ly) Wednesday morning at 6 AM!

2014-08-12 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Hi Guys. I'm in a bit of a slump. Did less than half my planned training last week. I am anticipating having a really hard time fitting in workouts once classes start first week of September. Don't know why that doesn't motivate me to do more now. In any case, it's thundery here today, so that's eliminated all my workout possibilities, at least til later in the afternoon... Guess I need a new source of motivation or something!

2014-08-13 8:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
We've all been there. Finding motivation is difficult. Maybe try something new? Maybe try a dance class or a boot camp or something. Sometimes I find switching it up can get me out of a slump.

I have also been in a slump due to my foot. Then I was having really bad back/neck pain (couldn't turn my neck) so I had to go get a massage this weekend. My massage therapist told me my back is really tight/knotted beyond what she could help that day. Now it still hurts some but I can at least turn my head again. I went stand up paddle boarding (SUP) with some friends on Sunday and got a good core/back workout there. Finally played some volleyball Monday and my foot felt great. The rain kept me from the pool yesterday so I'm hoping to go tomorrow before work to get a nice long swim in. I'm afraid to run, although I really need to get out on the roads.

Hope everyone is doing well! Rebecca, good luck getting out of your slump!
2014-08-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Originally posted by miche033

Hi Guys. I'm in a bit of a slump. Did less than half my planned training last week. I am anticipating having a really hard time fitting in workouts once classes start first week of September. Don't know why that doesn't motivate me to do more now. In any case, it's thundery here today, so that's eliminated all my workout possibilities, at least til later in the afternoon... Guess I need a new source of motivation or something!

Hey! I think a slump is part of the normal experience we all have from time to time. How can it NOT be, especially without a big race to feel focused on. Right?

Rebecca, I suggest you get a nice cup of tea (or coffee) and a tasty (but healthy) snack, and sit down and read back over your BT logs and race reports. You will be amazed at how much you have accomplished. I sure am! A half-iron is nothing to sneeze at. That is all part of your overall fitness, so missing half of your planned training week doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Looking over it and your notes and your inspires might help something "click" for you. Also, if you can spare 10 min a day for core work, even if you can't get out there and S/B/R, you will feel stronger and know that you are still on track. Good luck!
2014-08-13 10:12 AM

User image

I had my computrainer interval session this morning (local training center was offering a free class!). It was just the instructor, another cyclist, and me at 6 am! It was fun, but not as daunting as I had anticipated. I wonder if they have my FTP at the right level. I had no problem meeting the power demands of the different sets. My HR did not get too high. I did become more aware of the variability in my pedaling and how that affects my power. It definitely gives me something to work on. I'm looking into a 6-week power building class. Very affordable. Just not sure about logistics with the rest of my busy schedule.

I had a brick scheduled for today and did not know if my legs would be totally shot after the interval session. Decided to go out anyway for a 25 minute run. Legs felt surprisingly light and powerful, and I put up 7:30 for the first mile! I probably could have held that pace the whole time, but I decided I did not want to work out that hard for the entire duration. Dialed it back, and at the end of the 3+ miles, I had averaged 7:45/mile. Very pleased if that's any indication of where my fitness is at and not just a fluke. I'd like to be able to have that same groove in a race. I know I could have pushed much harder and gotten below 7:30, even in a race. Looking forward to testing that hypothesis in 2-1/2 weeks at my next race.

2014-08-13 2:04 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I had my computrainer interval session this morning (local training center was offering a free class!). It was just the instructor, another cyclist, and me at 6 am! It was fun, but not as daunting as I had anticipated. I wonder if they have my FTP at the right level. I had no problem meeting the power demands of the different sets. My HR did not get too high. I did become more aware of the variability in my pedaling and how that affects my power. It definitely gives me something to work on. I'm looking into a 6-week power building class. Very affordable. Just not sure about logistics with the rest of my busy schedule.

I had a brick scheduled for today and did not know if my legs would be totally shot after the interval session. Decided to go out anyway for a 25 minute run. Legs felt surprisingly light and powerful, and I put up 7:30 for the first mile! I probably could have held that pace the whole time, but I decided I did not want to work out that hard for the entire duration. Dialed it back, and at the end of the 3+ miles, I had averaged 7:45/mile. Very pleased if that's any indication of where my fitness is at and not just a fluke. I'd like to be able to have that same groove in a race. I know I could have pushed much harder and gotten below 7:30, even in a race. Looking forward to testing that hypothesis in 2-1/2 weeks at my next race.

Sounds like a neat experience, and it's nice to have some data to focus on so you know where you are at.
2014-08-13 2:09 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I am SUPER excited right now and wanted to share with you all :-)

There is a triathlon here in Baltimore in October. I went to sign up a couple weeks ago only to find out it was full :-/ when I emailed, they said there was no waitlist and that I would have to wait until next year. I was pretty bummed, especially after the experience after my last one (being alone at the finish line). I was hoping to do one with my family and friends there supporting me. It's also on my nephew's birthday, so my parents would be coming down that weekend anyway. I just got an email that they decided to make a wait list because some people couldn't find others to transfer their numbers to! I'm not confirmed yet, but signed up right away so hopefully I am on the top of the waitlist. Will keep you all posted!

If I get in, I really need to start training! I haven't done much other than swim lately, so next week I will have to get back into a training routine. Gary said it earlier, having something to train for really helps to focus you, so hopefully this does the trick for me!
2014-08-13 3:41 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

I am SUPER excited right now and wanted to share with you all :-)

There is a triathlon here in Baltimore in October. I went to sign up a couple weeks ago only to find out it was full :-/ when I emailed, they said there was no waitlist and that I would have to wait until next year. I was pretty bummed, especially after the experience after my last one (being alone at the finish line). I was hoping to do one with my family and friends there supporting me. It's also on my nephew's birthday, so my parents would be coming down that weekend anyway. I just got an email that they decided to make a wait list because some people couldn't find others to transfer their numbers to! I'm not confirmed yet, but signed up right away so hopefully I am on the top of the waitlist. Will keep you all posted!

If I get in, I really need to start training! I haven't done much other than swim lately, so next week I will have to get back into a training routine. Gary said it earlier, having something to train for really helps to focus you, so hopefully this does the trick for me!

Terrific! Having family there to support you is a really motivator and makes the whole thing that much more memorable. Baltimore in October means wetsuit, I assume. Let me know how the training is in a wetsuit, since the water here is way to warm just yet to give that a try. I may get a chance this weekend when I'm traveling out of town in a colder climate, but I'd be curious to know if you have any tips.
2014-08-13 7:13 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
@Rebecca - We all go through slumps. I get depressed after big races too. After thinking about a big race like a 70.3 every day for months, it leaves quite a void after the race until you sign up for the next big one. Hang in there and feel free to chat more about it with our group.

@Gary - Sounds like you had a great brick workout! I'm envious of your run speed to say the least.

@Nicole - Very cool! I hope you get in and get to race in front of your family. Definitely makes it more fun.

Speaking of family, my mom visited us this past weekend and said something I thought was pretty funny. She was asking me about my up coming marathon and asked if I was worried about finishing since I've never run that far before. I thought that was a nice pep talk :-).
2014-08-13 10:27 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by ransick

Carlo,

Thanks for the info on max HR test and tempo. I think you're probably right about what I should expect race day. My z2 rides (which I'm guessing at bc I don' t yet know my max HR) are around 18 - 19.5 mph. When I push it, I'm up just under 21 or a little over. I imagine really pushing it on race day. I'm about a month out from my first race of the season. Looking forward to testing out my theory soon enough!

You can read the on of the BT methods for calculating zones. It's basically warm up for 10 minutes then go all out for 20 minutes then plug your average HR for the last 20 minutes into the LT (lactate threshold) cell of the BT calculator. Click on your name in the upper right then settings then training log settings then HR zone manager. BTW your cycling LT is usually about 10 BOM less than your running LT.

BT article - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

PS. Testing sucks. I don't like running or cycling so hard I feel like passing out :-)

Gary

i am going to quote what mike posted a bit back. If this is your first FTP test i would say go for it it is good information to know , but this is just me and i am not an expert in this things is just that the way i see it FTP is power base and its the best reference to determine your Z1 to Z4 in terms of watts/ power . I just see it the FTP info wont be utilized unless your riding with a powermeter. PMs is very useful but not essential. Again it is just me i find it in determining your zones in terms of HR is more practical. I t makes sense determining LTHR will be more useful and HRMs are more affordable, there are alot of good cyclists dont use PM! but if you decide to do so to acquire a PM it will help you.

Goodluck man let us know how did your FTP testing went! that 20 min all out i dont like it i feel like i am going to fall of my bike and throw up.

Cheers

Carlo

2014-08-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Pearland,Tx
Rebecca

Cheer up you will find your motivation again. I know you like Olys and sprints try short races again, you love to swim right.

Joe

whats next for you man!!

George

Good job in finishing your bucket list this year !!!!

Happy training everyone, wish me luck Oly next week .

2014-08-15 11:20 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

sorry i've been inactive lately...i have been reading here and following race reports but just not posting much in here lately.

i'm going to another doc for a second opinion on the ankle.  i am just dying to run.  hopefully this guy gets the message.

anyone racing this weekend?  any fun plans?  i'm going to clean and wrench on my bike some tomorrow - upgrading to road pedals from my current SPDs.

2014-08-16 5:33 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi guys, I've been a bit out of the forum for a while too. Up at 4:30 for training, then work, home, dinner, kids in bed, snooze...Not much time left.

A week to go until my HIM, I've been through excitement, panic, desperation, disbelief, now I've settled into resigned acceptance. I'm badly underprepared. This is going to hurt a lot and be very, very taxing mentally. But, I'm still planning to get through to the finish, hopefully within the cutoff time. We shall see!

2014-08-16 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

guys guys GUYS

Hopped on the treadmill after I was done lifting last night, just to see if running on a softer surface would be OK, and it WAS! I only did 2 min because my calves were tight and my asthma was kicking, but I think I can run again!! Even if it has to be on treadmills, I'm willing to make that sacrifice! RUNNINGGGG!!!!

still going for that second opinion, but looks like i am good to go.  i think ;-)

2014-08-16 1:40 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Great to hear! .

2014-08-16 1:43 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I'm happy this morning, we've just had our first real fall of rain since March, our water tanks are almost full again, and we don't have to worry about running out . Hooray for out of season storms!
2014-08-16 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Anna

Just looking at your logs if they are up to date , the challenge i see is the bike part any chance you could do one short bike 1 hr. easy pace and 2 hrs. easy pace you can still get good recovery 4-5 days before the race. Taper can be 30 mins easy pace on the bike or 20 mins swim or 20 mins easy pace run.

On race day do it steady and easy on the bike 14 mph you can still make cut off, your legs will feel stiff when you get off the bike thats normal you can shake it off just jogg it and do your comfy pace if you feel tired running do jog walk 13 min. per mile will still get you to cut off but not any slower. Dont change anything on your nutrition use whats most stable in your tummy.

Goodluck!!!! looking forward for a good race for you!!!

Cheers

Carlo

Edited by strykergt 2014-08-16 1:53 PM
2014-08-16 3:31 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by mehaner

guys guys GUYS

Hopped on the treadmill after I was done lifting last night, just to see if running on a softer surface would be OK, and it WAS! I only did 2 min because my calves were tight and my asthma was kicking, but I think I can run again!! Even if it has to be on treadmills, I'm willing to make that sacrifice! RUNNINGGGG!!!!

still going for that second opinion, but looks like i am good to go.  i think ;-)

Awesome!
2014-08-17 4:10 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks for the words of advice Carlo,

Yep, the bike is definitely my weakest part, unfortunately it's a tough and hilly course! I ended up doing an hour high intensity interval session on the indoor trainer this morning (thanks you tube!) which certainly got the blood pumping. I'm planning a day off tomorrow, then the usual track session (run) Tuesday, an easy swim Wednesday, an hour or so easy on the bike Thursday, then 2 days of relaxing/stretching/maybe a short run if I get too wound up.

Then Sunday, just keep going. Keep going. Keep going... I think I might write it on my arm

2014-08-17 5:04 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Taringa

Thanks for the words of advice Carlo,

Yep, the bike is definitely my weakest part, unfortunately it's a tough and hilly course! I ended up doing an hour high intensity interval session on the indoor trainer this morning (thanks you tube!) which certainly got the blood pumping. I'm planning a day off tomorrow, then the usual track session (run) Tuesday, an easy swim Wednesday, an hour or so easy on the bike Thursday, then 2 days of relaxing/stretching/maybe a short run if I get too wound up.

Then Sunday, just keep going. Keep going. Keep going... I think I might write it on my arm

survival skills on the hill is and everyone else is doing it on the uphill use the smallest gear of your crank thats where you pedal are and use the largest gear at the rear and just spin and spin ok you will be slow as in single digit speed mph and on the down hill hammer it all the way down , but do it safely. Your legs will not be tired for the run Good luck!!!

2014-08-17 11:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All - I've been on a "Staycation" this last week.  We had a full house of company and they just left but we have a new group arriving tomorrow.  It has been noisy and messy but overall not too bad.

Anna - I'll be thinking of you all week and especially this Sunday.  I'm signed up to volunteer for our local Challenge race (also on the 24th).  I get very anxious before a race and I'm certain I am under trained but when your swim starts all the anxiety will disappear and you just get down to business.  Just deal with it one step at a time.  Don't worry about time and cut-offs just keep going.  I sure wish I could run as fast as you.

I think Carlo is right about continuing to pedal fast on the downhills (at least until you spin out).  A lot of the people I passed on the bike course were not pedaling on the downhills but I was.

Marilyn - Hopefully the treadmill will let you work back into your running.  If a softer surface is easier on your ankle, what do you usually run on?  I used to find I had a lot of trouble running on concrete sidewalks but no trouble running on asphalt. 

All - I've been swimming 3X/wk but I haven't been able to get myself in gear enough to bike or run.  I'm going to register for the Cultus Lake Olympic race this Sept 14th.  It is our last event of the season except for a few running events.  It was fun last year.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-08-17 11:40 PM
2014-08-18 6:38 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Marilyn - Hopefully the treadmill will let you work back into your running.  If a softer surface is easier on your ankle, what do you usually run on?  I used to find I had a lot of trouble running on concrete sidewalks but no trouble running on asphalt. 

All - I've been swimming 3X/wk but I haven't been able to get myself in gear enough to bike or run.  I'm going to register for the Cultus Lake Olympic race this Sept 14th.  It is our last event of the season except for a few running events.  It was fun last year.

I ran again yesterday morning on a trail (that is very flat and well-maintained, minimal ankle twisting risk) and no ankle pain.  I think I may need to stick to softer surfaces for a little while.  I have been doing most of my runs on the roads in my neighborhood, it is asphalt but not soft at all.  while the 8k i have already registered for is on all roads, the sprint tri is on a nice MUP that i can certainly get to and run to test out before the tri to make a judgement call.  going for a second opinion doc tomorrow either way (after a planned 3 mile run, ha!)

sometimes it's really hard to motivate me to go bike.  i wish the roads were friendlier to cyclists.  i hate the routine of pack up the bike, drive 20-30 minutes, ride, then pack up and drive again.  especially when there are nice roads just 6 miles from my house!!!  what is holding you up from doing bike and run?  what obstacles can you remove to make those activities easier to do?

2014-08-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4999046

User image

Hey all. Went out for my 40 min run in hilly NE Ohio this morning. Gravel/dirt/asphalt mix. Beautiful wooded route. Shade. Early morning chill. I try to run at a "conversational" pace but I also have the Nike running app on my phone announce my pace every 1/2 mile. Unfortunately I think it puts me in the mindset of achieving a certain pace and I run faster than I should. Not used to the rolling hills. 8:15 to 8:35 the first 3 miles then unconsciously pushed it under 8 min pace the last mile or more and then a sharp "tweak" in the dreaded left Achilles. Immediately stopped and walked last 1/2 mile back to the car. Very tender. Not swollen. Icing and resting. VERY frustrated since my plan only calls for one medium distance run and one short brick a week deliberately to take it easy on the left ankle/knee. I think I need to train at a slower pace but I hate coming in at 9+ min/mile. It's just a motivational thing. Hope it is alright for my sprint in a couple weeks. I feel like I have speed in me like eventually a 7 min/mile 5k pace, but doubtful I will reach that potential if I keep pulling up lame. Very discouraging.
2014-08-18 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by PsyTri Hey all. Went out for my 40 min run in hilly NE Ohio this morning. Gravel/dirt/asphalt mix. Beautiful wooded route. Shade. Early morning chill. I try to run at a "conversational" pace but I also have the Nike running app on my phone announce my pace every 1/2 mile. Unfortunately I think it puts me in the mindset of achieving a certain pace and I run faster than I should. Not used to the rolling hills. 8:15 to 8:35 the first 3 miles then unconsciously pushed it under 8 min pace the last mile or more and then a sharp "tweak" in the dreaded left Achilles. Immediately stopped and walked last 1/2 mile back to the car. Very tender. Not swollen. Icing and resting. VERY frustrated since my plan only calls for one medium distance run and one short brick a week deliberately to take it easy on the left ankle/knee. I think I need to train at a slower pace but I hate coming in at 9+ min/mile. It's just a motivational thing. Hope it is alright for my sprint in a couple weeks. I feel like I have speed in me like eventually a 7 min/mile 5k pace, but doubtful I will reach that potential if I keep pulling up lame. Very discouraging.

can you try to stick to flat/paved paths to avoid the rolling/twisting?  that's what i'm trying to do.  i found that even flat gravel moves a LOT under my foot and i try to avoid it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37526 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72915 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.