BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-09-08 5:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open

I can't imagine training for a Marathon.  I'm having enough trouble training for a 10K.  What is the date for your Marathon Mike?

I'm just getting into a taper week.  All I have is a light bike tomorrow and a short :30 run and maybe a swim on Wednesday.  The race is Sunday.  It's an Oly but everything (including the swim) is very flat and I suspect they're each a bit short as well (the bike route is only 35.8km for example).  The only fly in the ointment is it is forecast to hit 30C/86F this Sunday.  So I want to finish as fast as possible.

I swam today and the lake was flat calm and 19C/66F just perfect for swimming and I didn't bother to time the swim but it sure felt pretty fast to me.  Just now we are sitting on our deck (in the shade) and it is 30C.  Our friends in Calgary/Red Deer/Cochrane and Airdrie are all telling us that it is snowing in their area of Alberta (and it is mounting up - not melting - based on their pictures).  We feel very bad for them....not! 

I guess it will be here before too long as well so we have to enjoy every bit of the nice weather as long as we can.  I'll probably have to return to the pool next week or the week after.  After swimming in the lake all summer returning to the pool is definitely not fun.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-09-08 5:44 PM

2014-09-08 10:17 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
St. Louis
George, my marathon is October 12th in Chicago.
2014-09-09 8:36 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by ransick George, my marathon is October 12th in Chicago.
How long will you be in Chicago?  That happens to be where I live now

I'm getting back in to things but having trouble finding a rhythm.  Not really losing any weight, mostly because I've not been improving my diet much.  But I feel in better condition than I did a few weeks ago.  Just trying to get more consistent, I know I'll get there.

2014-09-09 8:44 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

I'm getting back in to things but having trouble finding a rhythm.  Not really losing any weight, mostly because I've not been improving my diet much.  But I feel in better condition than I did a few weeks ago.  Just trying to get more consistent, I know I'll get there.

Glad to hear from you Joe !!!

I know you're a Fishy man find a masters group again bro

does IMWI have a 70.3?

2014-09-09 8:07 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Joe,

We are coming up Friday October 10th and leaving Monday. We are staying at the Doubletree on Ohio. Where abouts do you live? Maybe we can meet for a coffee or lunch Saturday.
2014-09-09 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hey Joe! Good to hear from you.  If I recall correctly you were from Chicago so I'm sure you'll settle in again but don't be in too much of a hurry.  You'll still need time to get used to your new training venues - like, where is your local pool and do you like it? (Or, not).  I think as you sort these things out you'll get going again.

What about cycling routes in your area?  Lots of options close by or do you have to drive somewhere to find some good routes?

Mike - Just for your interest, October 12th is our Thanksgiving.

2014-09-09 10:15 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
George, is there a traditional meal for Canadian Thanksgiving? Follow on question is, how has it evolved?

Growing up our traditional meal was turkey with mashed potatoes. It seems like traditions aren't being followed as religiously as they use to be though.
2014-09-09 11:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Thanksgiving dinner here is pretty traditional with Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, peas, corn and lots (& lots) of Yorkshire pudding.  Pumpkin pie for desert.  I do agree that traditions don't seem to be followed as they used to be.

My MIL is Ukrainian so we are known to have homemade pyrogies and holubtsi (cabbage rolls) on occasion as well.

2014-09-10 11:45 AM

User image

I had a disappointing pool outing this morning. My stroke felt "off" and I just did not feel comfortable in the water. Was tired and had a lot on my mind. Motivation to continue was hard to come by, looking at a very long workout ahead. So I left early without much to show for it. A make-up on Friday is possible, so all is not lost. It's just a bit discouraging.
2014-09-10 3:29 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt

Glad to hear from you Joe !!! I know you're a Fishy man find a masters group again bro does IMWI have a 70.3?
Thanks, bud!  I wish I could do a masters group, but finances and time won't really allow.  We've had to deal with some pretty major issues at the new house, to the tune of being around $25k more in debt than we were a few months ago.  So I've pretty much put all swimming plans on hold till the new year.  The good news is I have a great little gym at work so I try to row or spin (or run) at work and then run when I get home.  Still, it will take some time before the routine is set.

It's funny you mention IMWI, a friend of a friend (whom I really despise) just did IMWI and it's got me jealous and irritated he did an IM before me.  So hopefully I can keep that in mind for motivation.  There is a 70.3 in WI, you've probably heard it mentioned, it's IM70.3 Racine.  I might try for that next year, we'll see.  I'm going to keep up with my conditioning and go into the holidays in tip top shape, and then plan out my year.

2014-09-10 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by ransick Joe, We are coming up Friday October 10th and leaving Monday. We are staying at the Doubletree on Ohio. Where abouts do you live? Maybe we can meet for a coffee or lunch Saturday.
Nice area, that will be a fun trip.  I live out in the suburbs, but I'd be up for meeting for lunch or coffee on Saturday, certainly.  I'm sure you have a busy schedule, so whatever is convenient for you.  I'd suggest a bike ride or swim but I imagine that's probably less than optimal

2014-09-10 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hey Joe! Good to hear from you.  If I recall correctly you were from Chicago so I'm sure you'll settle in again but don't be in too much of a hurry.  You'll still need time to get used to your new training venues - like, where is your local pool and do you like it? (Or, not).  I think as you sort these things out you'll get going again.

What about cycling routes in your area?  Lots of options close by or do you have to drive somewhere to find some good routes?

Mike - Just for your interest, October 12th is our Thanksgiving.

Hey George, I'll probably wait to look in to pools until closer to the holidays, but I do have good run/bike options.  I've been rowing in lieu of swimming, which I can do in my work gym.  We've got a couple great row machine, good quality spin bikes, and great treadmills.  Weights too, of course. Pretty much the perfect gym setup except no pool.  Options around the house are not as good as they were in Fresno, with the exception of it's not 115 degrees every day, so I have more opportunity to get out.  I have a great run/bike path about .75 miles from my house, so I get out to that a lot.  I'll usually bring one of the kids in the jogging stroller or both  in the bike trailer (I'm sure I look ridiculous on my road bike in bike shoes and outfit, leaning on my aerobars, pulling a trailer with 2 kids, but they enjoy it and its the only way my wife will actually encourage me to go for a bike ride).

I miss the great bike paths along the roads in the foothills in Fresno, but I'll be able to do just fine with what's here.  If I'm going to do a HIM next year I will probably try to drive out once a week or two to a longer path for a long ride, it will get monotonous doing the same path back and forth over and over.  Plus it is through the woods with joggers and other bikers, on a somewhat winding path, so for most of it you can't build up too much speed.  Not an issue with the trailer with both kids since it is hard to get over 16mph anyways.

2014-09-10 6:14 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Originally posted by strykergt

Glad to hear from you Joe !!! I know you're a Fishy man find a masters group again bro does IMWI have a 70.3?
Thanks, bud!  I wish I could do a masters group, but finances and time won't really allow.  We've had to deal with some pretty major issues at the new house, to the tune of being around $25k more in debt than we were a few months ago.  So I've pretty much put all swimming plans on hold till the new year.  The good news is I have a great little gym at work so I try to row or spin (or run) at work and then run when I get home.  Still, it will take some time before the routine is set.

It's funny you mention IMWI, a friend of a friend (whom I really despise) just did IMWI and it's got me jealous and irritated he did an IM before me.  So hopefully I can keep that in mind for motivation.  There is a 70.3 in WI, you've probably heard it mentioned, it's IM70.3 Racine.  I might try for that next year, we'll see.  I'm going to keep up with my conditioning and go into the holidays in tip top shape, and then plan out my year.h

Door county is a nice 70.3 in Wisconsin as well. I did it in 2012 and the venue is beautiful.
2014-09-10 9:52 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

I had a disappointing pool outing this morning. My stroke felt "off" and I just did not feel comfortable in the water. Was tired and had a lot on my mind. Motivation to continue was hard to come by, looking at a very long workout ahead. So I left early without much to show for it. A make-up on Friday is possible, so all is not lost. It's just a bit discouraging.

Those workouts happen. I wouldn't worry about making it up. Sometimes your body or mind tells you when it needs a day off.
2014-09-11 8:38 AM

User image

Originally posted by ransick

Those workouts happen. I wouldn't worry about making it up. Sometimes your body or mind tells you when it needs a day off.

Thanks. I may just let it go. May possibly hit the pool for a partial make-up to keep my times on track with the plan, but I'm not committing. Sleeping in is pretty tempting! Meanwhile, I had a great bike/run brick this morning. Feeling strong again.

Good luck on the marathon. Sounds like it'll be awesome. You've really put in the miles, so enjoy!

2014-09-11 8:40 AM

User image

Hey George, I'll probably wait to look in to pools until closer to the holidays, but I do have good run/bike options.  I've been rowing in lieu of swimming, which I can do in my work gym.  We've got a couple great row machine, good quality spin bikes, and great treadmills.  Weights too, of course. Pretty much the perfect gym setup except no pool.  Options around the house are not as good as they were in Fresno, with the exception of it's not 115 degrees every day, so I have more opportunity to get out.  I have a great run/bike path about .75 miles from my house, so I get out to that a lot.  I'll usually bring one of the kids in the jogging stroller or both  in the bike trailer (I'm sure I look ridiculous on my road bike in bike shoes and outfit, leaning on my aerobars, pulling a trailer with 2 kids, but they enjoy it and its the only way my wife will actually encourage me to go for a bike ride).

I miss the great bike paths along the roads in the foothills in Fresno, but I'll be able to do just fine with what's here.  If I'm going to do a HIM next year I will probably try to drive out once a week or two to a longer path for a long ride, it will get monotonous doing the same path back and forth over and over.  Plus it is through the woods with joggers and other bikers, on a somewhat winding path, so for most of it you can't build up too much speed.  Not an issue with the trailer with both kids since it is hard to get over 16mph anyways.

Joe! I just love the image of the bike trailer being pulled behind your road bike, with you in aero! What an image! I can totally relate! That would be a very inspiring new profile pic!

Glad to hear you've found adaptations to your new digs. Indoors will definitely be where you want to spend a lot of time in Chicago when it's cold out!

Thanks for the supportive feedback on the RR. Hope to return the favor when you jump back into racing.

Cheers.

Gary

2014-09-12 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

anyone in here do nutrition logging?  i used to do it compulsively when i was a bodybuilder, and years of counting macronutrients I got REALLY good at estimating cals just by looking at a meal.  then i got into endurance and got out of that habit.  logged my meals today and - NO WONDER i can't seem to get my weight down (i'm only looking for 5/10 pounds max)  i really thought i was doing better.

i am doing GREAT on my current training plan, i need some accountability in eating.  can't believe that i'm even having this problem!

2014-09-12 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by ransick Door county is a nice 70.3 in Wisconsin as well. I did it in 2012 and the venue is beautiful.
Thanks for the recommendation, I googled it and your race report was the third result

My wife is obsessed with Door County and when I mentioned this to her she expressed that she would be more supportive of that race than any I've ever done...so long as we get spend three nights there.

2014-09-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

anyone in here do nutrition logging?  i used to do it compulsively when i was a bodybuilder, and years of counting macronutrients I got REALLY good at estimating cals just by looking at a meal.  then i got into endurance and got out of that habit.  logged my meals today and - NO WONDER i can't seem to get my weight down (i'm only looking for 5/10 pounds max)  i really thought i was doing better.

i am doing GREAT on my current training plan, i need some accountability in eating.  can't believe that i'm even having this problem!

I did the nutrition logging out of curiosity for a few weeks, and it was very time consuming. Could not enjoy my meals and free feeding behaviors! I got to a recommended number of calories per day by denying myself at the end of the day or when I was hungry. Ended up canning the whole thing because it was becoming an unwanted obsession.

So are you out of the woods with the ankle finally? I know men and women's bodies are very different, but I've found that the running keeps me at the lower end of my weight range. You? Definitely beats the nutrition logging.
2014-09-13 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by mehaner

I did the nutrition logging out of curiosity for a few weeks, and it was very time consuming. Could not enjoy my meals and free feeding behaviors! I got to a recommended number of calories per day by denying myself at the end of the day or when I was hungry. Ended up canning the whole thing because it was becoming an unwanted obsession. So are you out of the woods with the ankle finally? I know men and women's bodies are very different, but I've found that the running keeps me at the lower end of my weight range. You? Definitely beats the nutrition logging.

I am running consistently, and 8 weeks out from a half marathon.  running does NOT help me keep my weight down - last year when i trained for a marathon i actually gained weight.  running makes me SOOO HUNGRY!  i'm not a big fan of denying myself foods either, i try to force myself to think carefully if i am HUNGRY or just BORED/STRESSED when i eat, i can be a very emotional eater!  i'm just finding that with NO rules in place, i am definitely eating much more than i thought i was.  middle ground is tough for me, though, ha.

2014-09-13 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Hi Everyone. So I survived the first two weeks of school (for me) and kindergarten (my eldest). I haven't been training too much, but some. I'm thinking of just focusing on a half marathon in November and not doing any other races til then. I'm just not into it right now. Too much other stuff going on. Will work on catching up with y'all.

The picture is of the hill I hate from my ride this morning. The picture doesn't do it justice. Where I took it is about halfway down, so I would be going close to 30 mph if I wasn't riding my brakes all the way! There's that turn, and then another one the other way right after it. But it was a nice ride today. Cloudy and mild. But I have got to get new shoes. My feet... OUCH.

The hill I hate

2014-09-13 11:05 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Way to go Rebecca! No hills but bridges here in FL we have bridges!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (343KB - 4 downloads)
2014-09-13 11:09 AM

User image

@mehaner: I hear you. Swimming makes me most hungry but my almost 40 mile ride made me super hungry! Ride happened to end at a farmers market where they were grilling the breakfast of champions!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (2200KB - 4 downloads)
2014-09-13 12:53 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
That brat looks delicious. I grilled some brats, onions and peppers for MNF last week and hate the neighbor guys over. If I get on my PC later, I'll post some pics.
2014-09-13 12:56 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Originally posted by ransick Door county is a nice 70.3 in Wisconsin as well. I did it in 2012 and the venue is beautiful.
Thanks for the recommendation, I googled it and your race report was the third result

My wife is obsessed with Door County and when I mentioned this to her she expressed that she would be more supportive of that race than any I've ever done...so long as we get spend three nights there.

Pretty cool that my report was the third hit :-). We stayed at a little mom and pop place in Egg Harbor that was on the run route. I could probably find the name of it if you want.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37237 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72651 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.