BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-06-30 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open)
I haven't done a LT test yet.

Edited by ARtridad74 2014-06-30 7:24 PM

2014-06-30 7:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by parrj

Yes, but how did you come upon those ranges? They just seem very arbitrary. Have you ever done LT test? I'd assume your threshold is higher than you expect based on your previous race.

Honestly, I'm a complete beginner to know "how to" train. I am in the learning stage about what I need to do. I took what I had learned in marathon training about how to keep my HR undercontrol and how long I could hold it at a certain level without dropping performance at the end.

I don't have any friends that I train with and am a complete newb to the bike. I was looking at the rides that I have done in training and tried to come up with something that I thought would allow me to finish and still have enough for the run.

Sounds like I need a lot more information.

I am down to 3 weeks from this years "A" race. 7/20/14 will be my first 70.3. I am trying to get enough info to have a positive experience for this race and to build on for next years long course race that I decide to shoot for. I do plan to continue to train this year and possibly do two or 3 more Sprint or OLY races later this summer/fall.

Thanks for any advice!

Stephan

Edited by ARtridad74 2014-06-30 7:34 PM
2014-06-30 7:36 PM
in reply to: ARtridad74

I did meet a guy at a local 5K that I ran this weekend that has completed a few Ironman's and hopefull I can train with him some and get some additional pointers from him as well.

On a side note I PR'd my 5K time, and my wife won her AG as well!! It was a really fun race enviornment.

Stephan
2014-06-30 8:01 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Congrats on your recent race. You are right, your A race is coming up very quickly. After the race, either early this fall or sometime next spring you will need to set up your HR training zone based on LT heart rates obtained during testing. Most likely, what is happening is you are leaving some energy out on the course by not going hard enough. If you are picking HR ranges solely based on feeling good, you are not pushing yourself. Creating HR zones off max effort test will give you a better guideline of where you should be racing.
2014-07-01 12:55 PM
in reply to: #5000616

Thanks for the info. I will certainly do the test later this summer or in the fall
2014-07-03 12:06 AM

HI everyone, my name is Stephen. I currently live in Temecula California's beautiful wine country. I am a 10 year Recon Marine veteran who has a beautiful wife of 10 years and 2 beautiful daughters ages 5 & 3. I have been tossing around the idea of an Iron Man for a couple of years and just decided I will participate in the HITS IM on Dec 6 in Palms Springs. I am in above average shape in my opinion usually running about 20-30 miles a week and lifting also. I know this is nothing compared to the training I am about to take up, but I am up for the task.

I had a question in regards to the free 20 week training plan on the BT website. Are all of the workouts designed to be done back to back to maximize training value or split up throughout the day? I wont always have time to do it all in one session, but if I can make it happen I will. Also I am a contractor and still deploy from time to time and dont always have access to a pool. I have been reading and trying to figure out the best alternative for swimming if I can't swim. I have heard about using a C2 rower, I have heard using bands to simulate the the swimming motion. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am a student of the water, not racing in it but operating under arduous conditions as a Marine combat diver and water survival instructor so panicking is not an issue. I am just worried about the distance and training for the swim. The longest trek I have ever done in the water in full utilities was about 10K and countless 2k dragging a 50lb ruck through the water. I am open for any and all suggestions from those who have taken this long road, and I cant wait for December 6 to arrive.

Thanks for every ones input, encouragement, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Stephen

Oh yea, I would like to join this mentor group please, thanks.

2014-07-03 1:16 PM
in reply to: #5020101

Welcome to the group!! Good luck in your training and your ironman!!
Thank you for your service!!!

My name is Stephan
2014-07-03 7:06 PM
in reply to: Gtiger

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the group. For the 20 week program, when there are 2 workouts in each day, they are meant to be done as an AM and PM workout, unless specifically stated, like run off the bike. As for the swimming workouts. That can be hard and I experience the same thing with lots of travel for work, but it seems like you are probably a decent swimmer already, so you can substitute some strength training in when you are traveling. Try to make it upper body specific to swimming. I do like the rowing machine, especially since the typical freestyle uses so much chest. Helps even out the shoulders.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Again welcome to the group and enjoy your training.
2014-07-03 11:30 PM

Nice to meet you Stephan
2014-07-03 11:32 PM
in reply to: parrj

Thanks for your input Jeff, I appreciate it. I look forward to your advice in the coming months. Talk to you soon.
2014-07-06 10:38 AM

User image

Hi. I'm Shona and live in Dallas. I am currently training for the Austin 70,3. This is my second season of doing Tri's. It all started when a friend asked if i wanted to be the runner for a relay in a local sprint tri after I shaded 120 lbs. Two relays later I could not stand back anymore and just run. You can probably guess running is my strength, biking eh, ok and swimming well lets just say I'm one of those just get out of the water with enough energy and go kind of athletes right now. Last year my pool swims average 2:50 per 100m and my open water swims averaged 2:40 per 100 m (i know thats weird, but I hate pool swims and it apparently reflects in my times). This upcoming weekend I am doing an Aquathlon (the 1500 m swim distance 10 k run distance) as a way to gauge where I am for the (almost) HIM swim distance.

I TRAVEL a lot for work, but I always can find pool within a half hour of where I am at to swim (sometimes requires some begging to be able to swim laps, but it works). Its the biking that becomes problematic. I am finding most hotels only have recumbent bikes, and even the gyms I manage to find (mostly in rural areas) only have recumbent bikes, I have been assured that even that spinning has some benefit.

My only goal for Austin is to finish, preferably sub 8 hrs. I am currently working on swim technique and building bike fitness. I just finished a 4 week build period with final long ride being 3 hours and just under 45 miles. Had a recovery week and now beginning the second 4 week build period. Starting to tackle nutrition.

Best gift in all this, my 10 yo son and 13 yo daughter are no avid runners, and are participating in tris, love that its become a family thing.

I am interested in how I would deterring my heart rate zones for running (is there a similar method for running as was described for biking above)?

Looking forward to watching everyone achieve their goals....

2014-07-06 12:30 PM
in reply to: shona635

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Hi Shona,

Well you have a lot of time to prep for you race. As most people who get into the sport, swimming is a weakness. Most people avoid swimming, like I did in the beginning, because they don't like it. But the only way to get better is to swim more, specifically working on technique. Do you have a masters swim group in your area you could go too? I found when I was swimming with a group, it was the biggest improvement in my swim fitness. Plus they usually have a coach who can help with technique.

Biking is again one of those things you just need time in the saddle to improve. Get out 3-4 times per week and include some tempo riding in at least one of those rides. You can even incorporate you long run into one of your rides. Ride for 60-90mins and then run off the bike.

To determine your run lactate threshold all you have to do is get in a good warm-up, at least 15-20mins. Then run a 30 min all out time trial. Record your average HR for the last 20 mins of that 30 mins and that average HR should be your LT. If you finish the 30 mins and feel like you still have something left you in, you probably need to do the test again at a later time. Be sure to cool down.

With the time you have to train and the fact that you are a good runner, you should be well below 8hrs.

Good luck with training, Welcome to the group. And let me know if you have anymore questions.

Jeff
2014-07-07 9:12 PM
in reply to: #5021271

Jeff
This past weekend I did my last long ride before my 70.3. I rode 3hrs with a total of 60.6 mi. My HR average was 139. I was excited as all r hours of the ride came out almost exactly the same 20 mi each. I was glad that I didn't drop off any at the end. I climbed 2320' on this ride, I see on my race report that there is only 577' of climbing for the while race. What would your strategy be going into the race? Ride faster or try to maintain the same pace and save the legs for the run?
2014-07-08 10:34 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by ARtridad74

Jeff
This past weekend I did my last long ride before my 70.3. I rode 3hrs with a total of 60.6 mi. My HR average was 139. I was excited as all r hours of the ride came out almost exactly the same 20 mi each. I was glad that I didn't drop off any at the end. I climbed 2320' on this ride, I see on my race report that there is only 577' of climbing for the while race. What would your strategy be going into the race? Ride faster or try to maintain the same pace and save the legs for the run?

Stephan,

This is a really hard question to answer. I would guess that your average HR of 139 is well below your LT HR, but without having tested, we can't be sure where that is. Also, how have brick workouts been going in your training? How is your running? When I first got into 70.3, i looked at the bike as 3 different segments. 0-20 miles, 21-40, & 41-56. I would increase my pace in each segment. You definitely don't want to go too hard on the bike and be fatigued for the run, but you need to know how hard you can go on the bike and still have a good run.
2014-07-08 4:46 PM
in reply to: #5022767

The bricks that I have done have been fine. Last week I did a 30min bike in the hills then ran 12mi for the most hilly long run that I've ever done and was pleased with the results. I just haven't done any really long rides followed up by long runs yet.

I knew this first one was going to be a real learning experience and it has.
2014-07-14 11:48 AM

Hey Jeff,

I'm Zach, a 22 year old college student taking classes in the fall and spring currently working a summer job.

5'10" at 135 lbs

My athletic background is in soccer. Played since elementary. Compete in soccer intermurals when it's in season.

I have no background in swimming or cycling. Hardly ever find myself running just to run.

I'd like to give a HIM a try and put myself to the test. I have watched an IM finish a couple of times and I think that's where my desire to complete a HIM originated. Besides that I would just like to be fit and say that I did it. Who knows, I may really like competing and turn this into something.

I was thinking about attempting one in April (9 months from now). Does that seem feasible? I don't mean to underestimate the difficulty of a HIM but I have the attitude that I can definitely knock it out. I feel a little silly about that, seeing the shape I am in and not ever swimming laps nor having a serious bike.

I have been doing some weight training the past 4 weeks, short yoga sessions the past 3 weeks, and ran 3.42 miles in 40 mins yesterday.

Lastly, diet. I tend to follow a slightly modified paleo diet. I do cheat on it though from time to time.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

2014-07-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: zander4

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Hi Zach,

So what HIM are you looking at? Where do you live? How often do you currently run/bike/swim? When do you plan to start training? Any plans to do any shorter races leading up to the HIM?

Things you will need to consider, 1) will you be able to get your training in outdoors in the winter leading up to such an early race, 2) would you be okay with doing most of your training indoors 3) what goals do you have 4) do you think you will be able to stick to a training plan.

Jeff
2014-07-15 3:24 PM
in reply to: #5023197

Jeff it's finally race week for me! I woke up Monday feeling a bit under the weather and progressively felt worse throughout the day. Today I do feel a bit better. Feels like a sinus/allergy attach. I hope to be better by the time we leave for Racine Thursday morning!

Any last minute tips or advice?

The weather looks to be perfect Sunday. The only concern I really have is the water temp. It appears to be in the low 50's. do you suggest getting a neoprene swim cap and socks or just go without?
2014-07-15 3:44 PM
in reply to: parrj

So what HIM are you looking at?
- New Orleans (April 19, 2015) or Galveston (April 26, 2015)

Where do you live?
- From Houston but live in Baton Rouge (LSU)

How often do you currently run/bike/swim?
- Run: Have started running every other day
- Bike: Do not
- Swim: Do not

When do you plan to start training?
- I plan to continue running every other day. Biking, I was planning on starting on Wednesday and continuing every other day; therefore, alternating with my runs. Until I purchase a bike, I will be on a 15 year old average joe bike. Swimming, I would have access to a lap pool starting August 15th at school (1 month from now). I do have a 12 yard pool I could swim in prior to August 15th I've thought about swimming short laps in until then... Might be dumb.

Any plans to do any shorter races leading up to the HIM?
- I haven't picked out any yet. I will be looking to pick out at least 2 sprint tris prior to a HIM. Maybe knock out a half-marathon if you think that would be beneficial.

1) will you be able to get your training in outdoors in the winter leading up to such an early race
- I don't think I will have a problem with this. It rarely snows or ices up; twice max during the winter at school. There is also an indoor track I could run in if I needed to.

2) would you be okay with doing most of your training indoors
- If I had to, yes

3) what goals do you have
- (1) To finish the race
- (2) Become knowledgeable in running, biking, and swimming
- (3) Attain great physical shape (strength/endurance/flexibility)
- (4) Cross the finish line in a respectable time (Is 6 hours an attainable goal?)
- (5) Look great, feel great!

4) do you think you will be able to stick to a training plan
- I will be able to stick to one. I have only have 20 hours of school to finish out and people manage to train with full time jobs. I also really like to train and compete. I think that will transfer over to triathlons.

Zach
2014-07-15 8:28 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by ARtridad74

Jeff it's finally race week for me! I woke up Monday feeling a bit under the weather and progressively felt worse throughout the day. Today I do feel a bit better. Feels like a sinus/allergy attach. I hope to be better by the time we leave for Racine Thursday morning!

Any last minute tips or advice?

The weather looks to be perfect Sunday. The only concern I really have is the water temp. It appears to be in the low 50's. do you suggest getting a neoprene swim cap and socks or just go without?

I'm sure stress is not helping the body. Just try to relax and know that you've done the training and you're ready for the race. You at least have several days to feel better. Just make sure you stay hydrated.

If the water temp is really going to be that low, I would definitely consider a neoprene cap and some swim socks. It would be stupid to not finish the swim because you were not prepared for the cold water.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
2014-07-15 8:36 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by zander4

So what HIM are you looking at?
- New Orleans (April 19, 2015) or Galveston (April 26, 2015)

Where do you live?
- From Houston but live in Baton Rouge (LSU)

How often do you currently run/bike/swim?
- Run: Have started running every other day
- Bike: Do not
- Swim: Do not

When do you plan to start training?
- I plan to continue running every other day. Biking, I was planning on starting on Wednesday and continuing every other day; therefore, alternating with my runs. Until I purchase a bike, I will be on a 15 year old average joe bike. Swimming, I would have access to a lap pool starting August 15th at school (1 month from now). I do have a 12 yard pool I could swim in prior to August 15th I've thought about swimming short laps in until then... Might be dumb.

Any plans to do any shorter races leading up to the HIM?
- I haven't picked out any yet. I will be looking to pick out at least 2 sprint tris prior to a HIM. Maybe knock out a half-marathon if you think that would be beneficial.

1) will you be able to get your training in outdoors in the winter leading up to such an early race
- I don't think I will have a problem with this. It rarely snows or ices up; twice max during the winter at school. There is also an indoor track I could run in if I needed to.

2) would you be okay with doing most of your training indoors
- If I had to, yes

3) what goals do you have
- (1) To finish the race
- (2) Become knowledgeable in running, biking, and swimming
- (3) Attain great physical shape (strength/endurance/flexibility)
- (4) Cross the finish line in a respectable time (Is 6 hours an attainable goal?)
- (5) Look great, feel great!

4) do you think you will be able to stick to a training plan
- I will be able to stick to one. I have only have 20 hours of school to finish out and people manage to train with full time jobs. I also really like to train and compete. I think that will transfer over to triathlons.

Zach

Zach,

Well training over the winter should not be a problem as you are south enough to not have to worry about snow and/or cold weather. I would suggest finding a training plan to follow which will help to avoid overtraining. Most plans fall somewhere between 12-20 weeks. So depending on what race you pick you will have plenty of time to train.

Since you don't come from a running background, doing a half marathon prior to your race can be tricky. I've seen people get injured while run training because they are not use to the training volume. If you were considering to a half, I would consider training for one in late fall and focus on the running now. You can use biking and swimming as cross training. Then after the half you can do a block of swim focused training and a block of bike focused training before the start of an official training plan.

6 hours is an attainable goal, but also will take some dedication and hard work.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

2014-07-16 6:41 AM
in reply to: #5026110

We are going up a day early now so I can get in a short swim Friday and Saturday to get acclimated to the water temp.

Still not feeling great, but Tuesday was better than Monday!!
2014-07-16 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Definitely a good idea to get in some swimming prior too if the water is that cold. If you think it is allergies or sinus, make sure you are taking some OTC medicine to help the congestion and still continue to drink plenty of fluids.
2014-07-16 8:10 PM
in reply to: #5026300

I'm beginning to think I should just compete in 1 or 2 triathlons before a HIM in April. Either 2 sprints or a sprint and an Olympic. I have found a potential sprint triathlon October 9th. The half marathon is not necessary and may just get in the way.

As you said, to avoid overtraining I would plan to follow a 20 week plan, potentially starting December 7th. I started the other day a plan that would have me running 12 miles by December 7th.

Good news, my sister has a specialized tricross bike that I can use and can pick up tomorrow. She has with it all the stuff I think I could need. Even a gadget to track my speed and distance. She is also only an inch or two shorter than me. She did ride it in an MS150. It's no road bike or tri bike and perhaps not fitted to me at a bike shop but what are your thoughts? I'm clueless to bikes. Good to at least start riding with I figure.

My thoughts are to be in the best swimming, running, and biking shape I can be in to start an official 20 week plan. Basically, have better fitness than is recommended to start the program.

Thanks for everything so far!
I would not want to do this alone!

Best of luck to you Stephan!
2014-07-17 8:20 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by zander4

I'm beginning to think I should just compete in 1 or 2 triathlons before a HIM in April. Either 2 sprints or a sprint and an Olympic. I have found a potential sprint triathlon October 9th. The half marathon is not necessary and may just get in the way.

As you said, to avoid overtraining I would plan to follow a 20 week plan, potentially starting December 7th. I started the other day a plan that would have me running 12 miles by December 7th.

Good news, my sister has a specialized tricross bike that I can use and can pick up tomorrow. She has with it all the stuff I think I could need. Even a gadget to track my speed and distance. She is also only an inch or two shorter than me. She did ride it in an MS150. It's no road bike or tri bike and perhaps not fitted to me at a bike shop but what are your thoughts? I'm clueless to bikes. Good to at least start riding with I figure.

My thoughts are to be in the best swimming, running, and biking shape I can be in to start an official 20 week plan. Basically, have better fitness than is recommended to start the program.

Thanks for everything so far!
I would not want to do this alone!

Best of luck to you Stephan!

I like the idea of doing a sprint and then an Olympic prior to the HIM. An Olympic will give you a little better idea of a long day on the course since you will be looking at 2.5hr+ likely.

I think a tricross bike will be good to start, but you will want to make sure it fits you well. You'd be surprised on small little things in fit can really cause pain in areas during the ride. I would still consider getting yourself a road bike to race on. Go into a local bike shop and at least see what kind of bike would fit you. Be honest with them that you may buy online but sometimes you can get a great price on a brand new bike while supporting a local business.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.