BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-07-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: parrj

Subject: RE: Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open)
I went for a short swim this morning, the water temp is 61 degrees. After a short warm up I wasn't even noticing the water temp!

I changed meds that I had been taking and got a lot better sleep last night and am feeling much better today! I'm really looking forward to Sunday!!

Thanks Zach!!

Stephan

2014-07-19 1:22 PM
in reply to: 0

I went by a bike shop today. Their basic fitting was $100 dollars. I haven't gotten fitted yet and I'll have to go somewhere else because they are backed up for 3 weeks. They also had some road bikes there starting at $700. I began to feel like I was in a pretty nice shop. Everything was displayed nicely. I will say I talked with an employee there that was kind and went over everything from bike seats, bike shorts and bibs, to helmets and chatting about triathlons. I have yet to purchase anything and I was aware that triathlons require some serious purchasing. The thing I don't know is what price is reasonable. For example, their bibs and shorts were $100. I've heard of cheaper so is there any reason I don't go cheaper and try and purchase on eBay or find deals in store or even somewhere like academy?

I would also like to purchase clipless pedals and shoes and I feel like they may be way cheaper online. Do you have any advice for me on purchasing bike shorts, or what to wear when cycling? Specific type of clipless pedals?

As always, thanks!

Edited by zander4 2014-07-19 1:31 PM
2014-07-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by ARtridad74

I went for a short swim this morning, the water temp is 61 degrees. After a short warm up I wasn't even noticing the water temp!

I changed meds that I had been taking and got a lot better sleep last night and am feeling much better today! I'm really looking forward to Sunday!!

Thanks Zach!!

Stephan

I don't think neopreone socks are even allowed in temps above 60, so you should be good. I did a race in 62 degree water in a sleeveless wetsuit and after a couple hundred meters I was perfectly fine.

Good luck and have fun tomorrow.
2014-07-19 2:18 PM
in reply to: zander4

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by zander4

I went by a bike shop today. Their basic fitting was $100 dollars. I haven't gotten fitted yet and I'll have to go somewhere else because they are backed up for 3 weeks. They also had some road bikes there starting at $700. I began to feel like I was in a pretty nice shop. Everything was displayed nicely. I will say I talked with an employee there that was kind and went over everything from bike seats, bike shorts and bibs, to helmets and chatting about triathlons. I have yet to purchase anything and I was aware that triathlons require some serious purchasing. The thing I don't know is what price is reasonable. For example, their bibs and shorts were $100. I've heard of cheaper so is there any reason I don't go cheaper and try and purchase on eBay or find deals in store or even somewhere like academy?

I would also like to purchase clipless pedals and shoes and I feel like they may be way cheaper online. Do you have any advice for me on purchasing bike shorts, or what to wear when cycling? Specific type of clipless pedals?

As always, thanks!

Typically, if you buy a bike from a local bike shop (LBS), you will get a free bike fitting. So consider that when you are deciding on whether to buy a bike online or not. As for the accessories that go along with it, don't feel like you need to get everything right away. Only thing you need right away is a helmet and a good pair of cycling shorts. I've found that with shorts/bibs, you get what you pay for. I've also noticed that shorts are cheaper than bibs. While I love my bibs and won't ever go back to shorts. I rode in shorts for several years. As for the pedals, I would just worry about getting some miles on the bike. Doesn't matter if you have straps on the pedals or clipless pedals with shoes. Clipless pedals will make you for efficient, but they can be expense. You have pedals, cleats, and shoes to buy. Clipless pedals you can actually buy online, but i recommend getting shoes in a store, or at least try them on to know what kind/size fits you best (like running shoes). As for type, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Jeff
2014-07-20 9:38 PM
in reply to: #5000616

The race was incredible!! I beat my goal and finished in 5hr 29 min 23 sec!! It was a great experience.

I plan to do LT testing for the bike and run soon so in can train at the right intensity. I can definitely see how that could have helped me finish even better.

I also found out that I need to train harder on the swim. My swim time was by far my worst
2014-07-20 9:40 PM
in reply to: #5028248

I didn't finish typing.

My swim time was by far my worst part of the race. I did have a good consisten swim all the way though, and the temp wasn't an issue at all

2014-07-22 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Stephan,

That's a solid race right there. Most people aren't strong swimmers and can always do better there, but you had a really solid bike. With some more focused training you can be looking at a low 5 to sub 5 hour finish time. Congrats on an amazing race. Make sure to take a little down time and then get back to the IM training.
2014-07-30 3:38 PM
in reply to: #5028249

For the LT test do you feel it is important to do a lab test or do you think self testing is fine?
2014-07-30 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5032862

User image

I would love to join your group if I still can! I am doing my first full IM in Florida in November. I am a stay at home Mom of three girls (11, 8 & 4). I will be married for 16 years in October. I work very part-time as a fitness instructor, serve as president of my local running/tri club and have done some road race directing in the past. My passion is fitness, without a doubt!

I've been doing sprint and Olympic triathlons for about 8 years and did my first Ironman 70.3 in Racine last year. Loved every second of it!!! Just completed another 70.3 last weekend and enjoyed that, too.

I don't currently have a mentor and am always looking for guidance and feedback!

Thanks!
2014-07-30 8:54 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

For the LT test do you feel it is important to do a lab test or do you think self testing is fine?

A lab test would be the most accurate, but can also be very expensive. Especially when you have to retest. So doing a self-test is fine. Just pick a spot you can do the test over and over.
2014-07-30 8:55 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I would love to join your group if I still can! I am doing my first full IM in Florida in November. I am a stay at home Mom of three girls (11, 8 & 4). I will be married for 16 years in October. I work very part-time as a fitness instructor, serve as president of my local running/tri club and have done some road race directing in the past. My passion is fitness, without a doubt!

I've been doing sprint and Olympic triathlons for about 8 years and did my first Ironman 70.3 in Racine last year. Loved every second of it!!! Just completed another 70.3 last weekend and enjoyed that, too.

I don't currently have a mentor and am always looking for guidance and feedback!

Thanks!

Welcome to the group. What's your name? Please feel free to as any questions you have.

2014-07-31 10:51 AM

User image

Originally posted by parrj

Thanks!

Welcome to the group. What's your name? Please feel free to as any questions you have.

Name is Jen.
2014-07-31 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Hi Jen,

Let me tell you a little about IMFL. I have never raced it, but have been there supporting friends for the last 7 years as a spectator. The weather can vary greatly at that race. I've been there years when it is freezing and been there years it's hot as heck. The swim is 2 loops in the ocean and typically quite crowded. Even with the new self seeded swim start last year. The bike course can be windy, especially when you get out in the country areas. I've heard there is typically a headwind coming back into town. The run is 2 loops on a pretty spectator friendly course. Most of the crowds tend to be at one end and you then get some locals out in the middle. There is almost no one in the state park at the far end and it you are running after dark, the park has no lights, so be prepared. Last year they were requiring people to take a glow stick when they were heading out and it was getting dark. Pretty electric finish line with good crowds from start to finish.

Jeff
2014-07-31 11:53 AM

User image

Originally posted by parrj

Hi Jen,

Let me tell you a little about IMFL. I have never raced it, but have been there supporting friends for the last 7 years as a spectator. The weather can vary greatly at that race. I've been there years when it is freezing and been there years it's hot as heck. The swim is 2 loops in the ocean and typically quite crowded. Even with the new self seeded swim start last year. The bike course can be windy, especially when you get out in the country areas. I've heard there is typically a headwind coming back into town. The run is 2 loops on a pretty spectator friendly course. Most of the crowds tend to be at one end and you then get some locals out in the middle. There is almost no one in the state park at the far end and it you are running after dark, the park has no lights, so be prepared. Last year they were requiring people to take a glow stick when they were heading out and it was getting dark. Pretty electric finish line with good crowds from start to finish.

Jeff

Thanks. I am really nervous about the following:

1) Crowded swim start because I hate getting kicked and swam over.
2) Rough water during the swim so that I swallow lots of salt water.
3) Serious headwinds for miles on end on the bike. Hills help me a bit and I don't think there are very many. I prefer lightly rolling (who doesn't??).

Do I need to bring a head lamp or some sort of light with me on the run course to be safe?? Would this be something to consider or just
a waste of time? Just wondering, as I have NO IDEA! Hoping to finish under 15 hours but really no idea what to expect there, either. That would put me at 10 PM for 15 hours...
2014-07-31 12:00 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Just seed yourself towards the back to get out of the crowds. They do thin out around the first turn buoy, which is about 1/2 mile out.

The roughness is really a crap shoot. If the winds are strong, the chop will be a little worse. Hopefully the winds will be calm.

The bike is pretty flat minus a bridge or 2. So prepare yourself for long periods in aero and running after a very flat course.

The headlamp is up to you. A lot of people do use them in the dark. It is something you can always put in your run special needs bag and grab for the second lap if you feel you need it.
2014-07-31 10:04 PM
in reply to: #5032990

BY: ARtridad74 on 2014-07-30 3:38 PM

2014-08-01 6:28 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

BY: ARtridad74 on 2014-07-30 3:38 PM

A lab test would be the most accurate, but can also be very expensive. Especially when you have to retest. So doing a self-test is fine. Just pick a spot you can do the test over and over.
2014-08-03 11:02 AM

User image

The race was incredible!! I beat my goal and finished in 5hr 29 min 23 sec!! It was a great experience.

I plan to do LT testing for the bike and run soon so in can train at the right intensity. I can definitely see how that could have helped me finish even better.

I also found out that I need to train harder on the swim. My swim time was by far my worst

Great job! I did Racine last year when the waves were about 5 feet high and I didn't think I was going to make it through the swim. I am a little jealous of the swim from this year. My friend John sent me a pre-start pic and it looked like glass. He was laughing of course, because he's seen my pics from last year. I love the rest of that course! It's flat and fast. Great venue, as well. Who thought Racine would be so beautiful. The sand was white and powdery. I wanted to stay all week!
2014-08-13 8:34 AM

User image

Subject: UGH! Rough week
I had two great days of workouts earlier this week and then yesterday was in a car accident! My car probably has over $4,000 in damage and it is NEW TO ME (had it about 2 months). I finally upgraded from the dreaded minivan after 9 years and got a super cute, non-mom looking car. Anyway, finally had a bike rack instead of shoving my bike into the back. I was rear-ended by someone going close to 30 mph yesterday. Pretty sure the bike rack saved my 3 kids from substantial injuries. However, missed my AM workout today (supposed to bike for an hour and swim for 30 min) due to not having a car and pure exhaustion from just the chaos of it all. My middle child didn't do well with the stress and was up half the night. Long story short, I am feeling unmotivated and down and I know it's only ONE DAY!!! This week is crazy with back to school stuff and squeezing in last-minute summer fun for my kids. One week off track isn't going to kill me, right? I haven't vacationed this summer so I have hardly missed ANY workouts...
Just need some sense talked into me!!!
2014-08-13 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: UGH! Rough week

I had two great days of workouts earlier this week and then yesterday was in a car accident! My car probably has over $4,000 in damage and it is NEW TO ME (had it about 2 months). I finally upgraded from the dreaded minivan after 9 years and got a super cute, non-mom looking car. Anyway, finally had a bike rack instead of shoving my bike into the back. I was rear-ended by someone going close to 30 mph yesterday. Pretty sure the bike rack saved my 3 kids from substantial injuries. However, missed my AM workout today (supposed to bike for an hour and swim for 30 min) due to not having a car and pure exhaustion from just the chaos of it all. My middle child didn't do well with the stress and was up half the night. Long story short, I am feeling unmotivated and down and I know it's only ONE DAY!!! This week is crazy with back to school stuff and squeezing in last-minute summer fun for my kids. One week off track isn't going to kill me, right? I haven't vacationed this summer so I have hardly missed ANY workouts...
Just need some sense talked into me!!!

One-week of will not kill you and could be a good recovery week. It takes 2 weeks to start to lose any training effects. Any workouts you may try to do in the next day or so would probably not go well because of elevated stress/HR, so don't go pushing yourself.

Glad that everyone is okay. Sorry about the car, but it is only a car and that is what insurance is for. Take care of those kids and get back on track next week.
2014-08-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: #5033567

I haven't had a chance to do the LT testing yet. I decided to add one more race in this year, I'm going to do an Olympic next weekend. I'm going to try to race this one not just complete it. I am also training for a marathon in early October.

I'm planning on adjusting my training intensity once I get the LT testing done.

2014-08-18 7:31 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Stephan,

Did you race this past weekend, or are you racing this coming weekend?
2014-08-18 7:31 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
How's everyone training going? Any issues, concerns?
2014-08-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: 0

My race is this coming Saturday 8/23. Training has been going well. I've been working on my speed on the swim! I hope to have my fastest swim split of the year this weekend. I haven't gotten to ride much in the last two weeks, I rode twice with a friend that is trying to get back into Tri'ing, so those were slower that I would have really liked. However I did do a lot of hill repeats! I would go all out to the top then turn around and do it again so I could get in a decent workout too. I have noticed that over the last month or two that my power on the bike has grown significantly! Before I was having problems staying out of the saddle more than a few seconds before tiring, but now I'm climbing and sprinting much better!

I will be very interested to see how I do in the race this weekend. I need to keep my bike under control and not over do it!

My run training has been doing well too. I'm currently training for a marathon that I plan to run in October. The weekend before last I was scheduled for a 1/2 marathon race, but I just ran it like I was racing on my own. I set my own PR with a time of 1hr 49min 30sec, I could have run it a little faster but ran my first half a little too slow. I will keep working on it.

I'll let you know how the race this weekend goes.

Edited by ARtridad74 2014-08-18 8:02 PM
2014-08-20 7:53 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

My race is this coming Saturday 8/23. Training has been going well. I've been working on my speed on the swim! I hope to have my fastest swim split of the year this weekend. I haven't gotten to ride much in the last two weeks, I rode twice with a friend that is trying to get back into Tri'ing, so those were slower that I would have really liked. However I did do a lot of hill repeats! I would go all out to the top then turn around and do it again so I could get in a decent workout too. I have noticed that over the last month or two that my power on the bike has grown significantly! Before I was having problems staying out of the saddle more than a few seconds before tiring, but now I'm climbing and sprinting much better!

I will be very interested to see how I do in the race this weekend. I need to keep my bike under control and not over do it!

My run training has been doing well too. I'm currently training for a marathon that I plan to run in October. The weekend before last I was scheduled for a 1/2 marathon race, but I just ran it like I was racing on my own. I set my own PR with a time of 1hr 49min 30sec, I could have run it a little faster but ran my first half a little too slow. I will keep working on it.

I'll let you know how the race this weekend goes.

Sounds like everything is on the right track. Good luck with your race this weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.