General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a Olympic triathlon....are aero bars worth it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-23 12:09 PM

Subject: Doing a Olympic triathlon....are aero bars worth it?
When I go on long bike rides I can feel it would be nice to have aero bars but do they really make that much of a difference to merit $159 to $200 getting into triathlons are expensive and I hate spending any more money. Right now my goal is just to complete a triathlon later on I will be thinking about being competitive.

2014-05-23 12:10 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Doing a Olympic triathlon....are aero bars worth it?
You can get clip on aero bars for cheaper, like 50-80 bucks, but if your goal is just to finish then don't worry about it. You'll have plenty of time later to waste all your money on tri toys
2014-05-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: #5000803

Ja
2014-05-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: #5000808

oops pressed enter too soon. Haha I remember telling my wife the biggest purchases would be the bike and wetsuit was $500 ago . I feel like a kid in a toy store so many things I am salivating over
2014-05-23 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

You can find them on sale.  I think I got my first clip on aero-bars for $59.  Very worth it IMO.

One of the better values in terms of both comfort and performance enhancement.

2014-05-23 12:53 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Clip on bars on a road bike = sore lower back. I went that route, used them a few times then bought a real TT bike.

Save your money and just ride the roadie the way it is. 

Looks like you don't have shoes and pedals based on your other post. That will be much better money spent than aero bars. 

2014-05-23 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I feel that they definitely are, when I put them on my roady and got everything set up right I gained .5 MPH right out of the box. Once I got used to them and riding for extended periods in aero that moved to a full 1 mph over my 40K test loop within 4 weeks of installing them, that to me is a pretty substancial improvement for an $80 dollar outlay. Plus I like having the extra grip position & I have never experienced any negative Back issues .

Edited by RRH_88 2014-05-23 1:54 PM
2014-05-23 1:56 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]

When I go on long bike rides I can feel it would be nice to have aero bars but do they really make that much of a difference to merit $159 to $200 getting into triathlons are expensive and I hate spending any more money. Right now my goal is just to complete a triathlon later on I will be thinking about being competitive.

If your just looking to get into the sport and complete one, I wouldn't worry about it. If you like the sport after completing one, maybe you can add some down the road. Go out and have some fun.
2014-05-23 3:07 PM
in reply to: trijamie

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by trijamie

You can get clip on aero bars for cheaper, like 50-80 bucks, but if your goal is just to finish then don't worry about it. You'll have plenty of time later to waste all your money on tri toys

agreed.
2014-05-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

Originally posted by RRH_88

I feel that they definitely are, when I put them on my roady and got everything set up right I gained .5 MPH right out of the box. Once I got used to them and riding for extended periods in aero that moved to a full 1 mph over my 40K test loop within 4 weeks of installing them, that to me is a pretty substancial improvement for an $80 dollar outlay. Plus I like having the extra grip position & I have never experienced any negative Back issues .

but the statistics also show that while you were "getting used to them" you were also riding more on your 40k test loop, in fact, you had 4 more weeks of fitness. was it really the bars or the engine?
2014-05-23 3:13 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]

I did 6 70.3s, qualified for nationals, and did an IM all on a roadie without aero bars. not to mention numerous Olympics, regularly placing in my AG. not necessary, but may be nice depending on the course. hilly courses and courses with a lot of curves, you won't even use them

2014-05-23 6:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by gotbitten

but the statistics also show that while you were "getting used to them" you were also riding more on your 40k test loop, in fact, you had 4 more weeks of fitness. was it really the bars or the engine?

probably a little bit of both but at age 60 the engine doesn't make tremendous HP gains very quickly in fact it I am constantly fighting HP losses and I had already had been riding steady at a 19mph pace for about 4 months with no gains so to see the improvements at that point I am giveing most of the credit to the bars and aero position and not to the increased riding.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-05-23 6:49 PM
2014-05-23 8:52 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

This x 2
On windy days, I appreciate them even more.
2014-05-23 10:49 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Clip on bars on a road bike = sore lower back. I went that route, used them a few times then bought a real TT bike.

Looks like you don't have shoes and pedals based on your other post. That will be much better money spent than aero bars. 

I've got PD T1+ clip ons, $80 retail at LBS, cheaper online. Disagree with this one. I've got a road bike but got a professional fit with the aerobars. I did have to buy a FF seatpost and new stem. So all said and done it was in the $200 range, not counting the fit. But this gave me 1.5 to 2.0 mph over an OLY bike course. Well worth it. I don't have a few thousand bucks for a TT bike. I can take off the aerobars for group rides, century rides etc. Very flexible.
2014-05-24 6:54 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by reecealan
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I've got PD T1+ clip ons, $80 retail at LBS, cheaper online. Disagree with this one. I've got a road bike but got a professional fit with the aerobars. I did have to buy a FF seatpost and new stem. So all said and done it was in the $200 range, not counting the fit. But this gave me 1.5 to 2.0 mph over an OLY bike course. Well worth it. I don't have a few thousand bucks for a TT bike. I can take off the aerobars for group rides, century rides etc. Very flexible.

I think that's key.  You can't just slap them on a road bike without tweaking the fit. 

Due to physical limitations, my set-up is fairly upright.  Although my fit is optimized for riding in aero, I'm still comfortable on the hoods.

As far as any quantifiable performance advantage, I have to go up one gear when going from the hoods to aero to maintain the same cadence.  That's huge to me.

Mark 

2014-05-24 7:02 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think worth it if you have time to get used to them and are comfortable and can control the bike safely. I can't report dramatic speed gains attributable to aerobars only (I can't separate it out from additional training) but they do definitely save time/energy on windy courses. I disagree with those who say it's not comfortable on a road bike. If you get a proper fit, barring pre-existing physical issues like low back trouble, it should be. I have no trouble riding my roadie in aero in races up to 40 miles. (Never used them beyond that.) It only took a few weeks to get used to the position; now I find it as comfortable as upright, sometimes more so. They're especially useful for flat courses where you can stay in aero almost the whole time; somewhat less so if there are constant steep climbs and descents (like my last race).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a Olympic triathlon....are aero bars worth it? Rss Feed