BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Summer Edition - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2014-06-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Summer Edition - OPEN
Brenda congrats on going back to back with racing those HIM's. That is not an easy thing to do and I will say I am very impressed. If you can do that IMWI is going to be a walk in the park for you.

Will good luck with the pregnancy and with trying to get into IMFL. I'll certainly send prays your way and I hope everything works out the way you'd like it to. I also hope you don't have to give up the biking either. You've made such tremendous progress I'd hate to see you have to start over there. You've got a great base built there and I hope you can continue to build on that.

2014-06-27 8:04 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by bswcpa

Good Morning beautiful people!    Congrats to those who successfully completed a race last weekend!  You're all amazing.   My daughter and I just had the most fun being with the Ambos's at our race and at the campground.  Their youngest son kept us laughing and the other kids are so sweet.  Matt and Sara are awesome parents and you could see the love of their family.  That warmed my heart. 

Summary of my two HIM's - 1)  Maumee Bay - great swim and went too hard on the bike. Blew up on the run in the heat.  2)  Mohigan - another great swim, dialed back on the bike and felt great on the run but the hills forced me to do a significant amount of walking.   Learned a lot doing both back to back - realized that I'm physically about ready for IMWI (will know positively after I get on the bike course in another month to see the hills) but I still definitely need to work on nutrition and hydration and keeping the bike dialed back.  Highlight was my daughter ran about 8 miles with me at Maumee Bay and she did the full 13.1 with me at Mohigan.  Great memories for us both! 

WILL - you'd asked about the adoption of our two kids.  I could write pages about it but in summary it was a journey ordained by God who's hand and presence I felt like no other time in my life.  I don't know if you have specific questions but I'm happy to answer anything at all.  We were open to any race or nationality so that's why we have the colorful family.  We lived in the DC area at the time, worked with a domestic adoption agency and waited about a year and a half for our son and a year for our daughter.  I don't want to take up Junkie space by giving all the details but feel free to PM me on here or Facebook if you want more info.   Know that I'm praying God gives you the desires of your heart.

Have a great weekend everyone!  Don't know who's racing but have fun if you are!  Keep the important things the important things.

ahhh, thanks Brenda! I just hope the little one didn't mooch too much food from you. He tends to quickly make himself at home regardless of where he is at. And congrats to you for back to back HIM, aNd if you are racing again have fun so you can enjoy the beach
2014-06-28 5:02 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

A very quick note from me......

I've been pretty busy the past week or so.  There has been a lot going on so far this summer with Kyrie graduating, Niki's wedding in 2 weeks and the beginning of the 16 week special work project I had mentioned a while back.  (I just got my first 2 days of training/involvement for that last week, with another 2 days on July 15, 16 and then the 16 week kick off July 21.)  Oh yeah, I forgot something.  It seems I'm training a little here and there for some little race in Wisconsin.

That training has been hitting anywhere from 10-15 hours a week since I begun being coached.  Zach backed the overall volume back a bit the past couple of weeks because I am running more and more.  If I were to have held the volume of May I would have been looking at 14-17 hours training volume for June.

I'm up on all of the posts but normally unable to spend much time posting.  I have yet to respond to Matt's RR from his last HIM and I would like to respond to Chris' discussion about OWS.  MAybe I'll get there soon.

..........Now I'm leaving to go WATCH my first triathlon.  I'm going to Winona Lake to see Brenda and several teammates race today.

2014-06-28 9:37 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
2014-07-01 5:39 AM
in reply to: #5000821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Every time I start tracking what I eat, I realize what I eat is crap! I think I am going to pass on tracking what I eat!
2014-07-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

NH
Originally posted by mambos

Every time I start tracking what I eat, I realize what I eat is crap! I think I am going to pass on tracking what I eat!

I'm with you Matt! I gave up when I started calculating the ice cream calories I eat. If I believe the numbers, I should be gaining about 5 pounds a week. I eat very well other than ice cream, so I'm letting it go. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

2014-07-01 6:37 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I do track everthing I eat and keep a daily log of estimated calories. I really don't sweat it though. I have good days and days that are not so good but I do like having the info of what I did eat on a particular day and how much etc. and how it might correalate to how I felt and how I trained that day.

On another note I've missed the last 3 days of training with a bad cold. I think it started on Thursday and just got a little worse each day. I did a long ride on Saturday 5 hours for 88 miles and when I got off the bike I was completed shattered and broken. Sunday I felt terrible and just stayed in tracked all my friends doing the full and aqua/bike for Challenge AC. I didn't think I could feel any worse but I was totally dipilatated on Monday. Seriously I was down and out for the count but I feel really good today like a thousand times better but I figured no point in digging a hole for myself so I'll wait and see how I feel tomorrow before jumping back into it.

I think the training, the lack of sleep the two week leading up to Syracuse and the race itself probably left me in a state where a cold turned in something much worse. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise and the break I need for the final push with only 7 more weeks to go and probably only 5 more weeks of really intense training before I hit the taper.
2014-07-01 7:01 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey Junkies... got a DNF at the Challenge TRI.... here are the emails I've exchanged so far - and a photo of the Garmin. Sorry to be brief, but I'm still beside myself about this whole adventure... chronologically you would have to read from the bottom up to follow the discourse. I'll have a full race report before the weekend.

I will say that the water current was really bad for most of the race. I really struggled to make it around two buoys- I think everybody had to add about 40 minutes to their swim time.... the Bike Course headwind on the highway on the return was ridiculous.. The bike course was well marked ....

As I told you earlier: I just got home from the airport and I am sending you the photo of my watch I wore at the race.

Dear Challenge Family... At the recent Challenge Atlantic City Triathlon you pulled me off the course before the cutoff. You did not allow me to finish your inaugural event. You threatened bodily harm to me at the "Bike In" location. You indicated I was outside of the time limits which - as my timing device indicates - is completely false. I am completely disgusted with the events that took place at your "Inaugural USA Event."

I tell you I had to wait for about ten minutes at an aid station because your volunteers were having a water fight with the water and ice for the participants... I could not even pull my bike over because the volunteers were all running through the road throwing water and ice on each other. I had to wait several minutes for them to go back to a truck to bring some ice and water for me. I was not amused.

I had paced myself to complete the bike before the cutoff because I wanted to save my legs for the turn. I was on pace to a 14:30 finish.

You provided no security for the bike pick up on Monday morning. I walked up took my bike without being questioned or seeing anybody from Challenge on the Transition area. Your advertised Breakfast was supposed to end at 12:00 and when my friends arrived at 10:30-11:00 all the food was being put away and they were told by the Hotel waiters that the breakfast had ended. There were several others who were arriving at that time also.

Attached is the photograph of my watch I wore at the race, the same watch I showed your volunteer who threatened me when I told him I was well within the time limits.

Based on the previous email from Mr Vigorito I am not expecting much from the Challenge "Family"

I'm looking for the following: A full Published Official Apology. A full refund of all race fees and travel expenses and whatever else you think can replace the months and hours of training for this event, the four days taken away from work and family the humiliation of a DNF when I was well within the time limits. The sleepless nights, having to answer all my triathlon friends about what happened.... and I have a lot of friends both off and on-line across the county who all want to know what happened they are all concerned about the "Challenge" brand.....

I am sending this email and a formal letter in English and translated with my grievances to Your Head office located at

Challenge Family HQ
Otto-Schrimpff-Str 14
91154 Roth
Germany

I am asking for an immediate response to this.

Thank you

Terrence Moons
9371 NW 20 Place
Sunrise FL 33322
954-274-8900
Terrence Moons
Tue 7/1/2014 10:10 AM
I'm not happy or satisfied.
I Had to wait 10 minutes at an aid station at mile 85 because the volunteers were having a water fight.. and used the ice to throw at each other. ...

I'm An airport going home now. .. I'll be s little more thorough when I hey home.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note® II

-------- Original message --------
Date:07/01/2014 9:38 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Terrence Moons
Subject: RE: DNF
Robert Vigorito
Tue 7/1/2014 9:38 AM
Inbox
Terrence:

The adjusted bike cutoff was , 4:40 pm

The rule was:

Swim: 2:20 from last swim wave
We added a wave and thus that last wave began at 06:35, Original last wave was 06:32

The bike cut was 4:30 pm

But with race delay due to road work and with the added wave , the NEW bike cutoff was: 4:40pm

So Terrence you missed it as you came in at about 4:46pm or close to that.

We had no one after you, at 4:38

Live Aloha & Celebrate Your Life
Vigo,

Robert Drew Vigorito,
Event Director, Challenge Atlantic City, USA, 2014
USA Triathlon Lifetime Achievement Honoree, 2013

Vigo Tri-Sport Management & Consulting, LLC
Columbia, Maryland & Naples, FL

USAT Certified Race Director, Lv 2
USAT Certified Coach, Lv 1
USAT-MA Regional Council
443-980-8433, Mobile
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 2:37 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: DNF

Subject: DNF

Message Body:
I was not allowed to finish the race. When I got to the bike in. . Some guy grabbed my bike and said I missed the cutoff by 8 minutes,.... I showed him my watch and my garmin and told him he was wrong. He took off my timing chip and threatened me not to go on the run course.he said the police didn't have the roads protected any more. .. but when I finally got a ride to the finish line 30 minutes later the police were still there. It is real unfair to have traveled all this distance to participate in the inaugural event only to have that finish taken from me, I was on my way to a 14:30 finish. .. I haven't slept since that night. .. I will send another e mail when I get home to my comport and be s little more detailed. .. I'm just really pissed off right now. .. That was seriously wrong . .. I have heard about how great you are to all the participants and I get the whole family thing. ... but this is horrible... I have much more to say tomorrow. ...

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Challenge Atlantic City (http://challengeatlanticcity.com)
2014-07-01 7:01 PM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

(challenge 6-29-14 garmin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
challenge 6-29-14 garmin.jpg (1077KB - 11 downloads)
2014-07-02 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Terry I'm sorry to hear about what happened at the race on Sunday. I was worried that something happened that's why I reached out to you on Sunday and was relieved to know that you were alright. I can totally understand why you're upset and I don't blame you for that. I know I would be feeling the same way right now. I hope you get some kind of satisfaction from the Challenge organization I would think it is the least they could after what happened on Sunday. Keep us posted on how things turn out with this. BTW I had one friend who did the full and four others who did the aqua/bike and there were mixed reviews on this event. Some would recommend it others wouldn't ever do it again. Look forward to your full report.
2014-07-02 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NH
Terry, I've written about three responses and none seemed appropriate. I just don't have words to describe what happened. It was very savvy to change your bike plans to set up a good run, and to have volunteers behaving like that and then to have it end like it did - I just have no words for that.

Try to take the positive out of all the work you put in. The journey was a success and no three letters change how impressed I am with your accomplishments.

Edited by wbayek 2014-07-02 2:02 PM

2014-07-02 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Terry,

Based on your watch's start time (for the bike segment, I'm assuming) you started at 8:51:47... (was that watch set to the same timezone as the race location?)
8:51:47 as you are leaving T1 means you were well within the swim cut-off time.

Then you rode for 7:33:51, which puts your time of T2 entry at 4:25:48. That's within the bike cut-off time.

I hope they acknowledge their mistake.

2014-07-02 2:29 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

NH
Wow, Jeff is right. I totally didn't realize that was a history screen. The 910xt automatically sets the timezone when the GPS mode is on, so assuming you had GPS working (the distance makes that pretty clear), I'd say that screen is solid evidence.
2014-07-02 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: Update
Dirk had to ask me last week on FB about my foot.
Sorry I've been out of touch for so long. Just for those of you that know me, I wanted to put an update here.
My foot has been good.

I raced on June 7. My first race and after ???what, like a week back to running? I wasn't sure what to expect in racing flats at race pace, but was prepared to walk it in. It didn't bother me a bit. I PRd the course overall and I PRd the run too.

Then I raced on 6/21. Another sprint distance road tri. I had no problems with my foot. I also PRd the race overall, the bike and the run. 5th overall!

About 2 weeks ago I did my first trail run and was OK because I watched my footing very, very carefully. It will still hurt if I come down on something that places all my weight on the broken metatarsal, which is expected. But I feel nothing otherwise.
I have even done a couple of 2 run days and one of those was on rugged trails.

I raced an Xterra this past Sunday. It poured down rain as the bike had just gotten under way. The trails became little rivers with standing water. It was a crazy mud fest with red clay soil, lots of rocks and smooth roots. I couldn't believe how fast I was riding it, at least the first lap before the trail soaked in a lot of the water and got worse.
However, I clipped my handlebars on a tree while descending down a rock outcropping and hit very hard on my left side (shoulder, head, face, chest). I came to realize over the next few miles that I had really hurt my shoulder as it was loose and coming partly in and out of the socket as I handled the bike.
A while later, on the 2nd lap of the course I was doing a rocky, twisty, narrow descent and something sent me off the trail (I think another handlebar clip) and I ran off in to the woods, into a downed log and then over the handlebars. It was a doozy, the bike flew over me and I completely left the trail. It wasn't a serious wreck except my shoulder took another blow.
Then as I was about to finish the bike course, there is a section of the course where we are routed along the side of a road, but in the grass next to it. This was sloped away from the road at a steep angle, probably 35-40 degrees down to the left. My bike just couldn't get traction. I didn't do anything wrong...no steering, no braking, weight was distributed right...that spot had just gotten too destroyed by riders and was slime. It was a fast slightly downhill section so I was doing around 20mph when the bike slipped out. I landed on my right side (good!) but then slid up and on to the pavement and slid down the road for a while. I remember laying there, still attached to my bike at all 5 contact points!...sliding down the pavement and thinking "I need to get back on this bike, but when in the heck am I going to be done sliding?"
When I finally stopped, the course marshall asked if I was alright. I don't remember what I said. But I then proceeded to suggest that he route riders up on to the pavement to save lives!
I was still reeling from that crash when I got to transition to do my flying dismount. I was standing on my left pedal, beside my bike and hit the ground running right at the dismount line....and my remaining shoe didn't unclip when I twisted...So I came down HARD again on my left shoulder and head.

So I bounced up, racked the bike and began the run...

I finished fairly high up in the results and won my AG...but I paid for it. The road rash sucks, but my legs are beaten up. The crashes created loads of bruises and swelling and knots all over my thighs and behind one knee. It's hard to bend my legs.
And then there is the shoulder....I'm guessing another surgery is now needed.

There's a saying: "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough".
And a corollary: "If you're gonna be a clumsy mtn biker, you better be tough"

Ok, so that's what's up with me....good news on the foot, bad news in it's place!
2014-07-02 2:49 PM

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Update
Jeff, you're not the sharpest knife in the cupboard! That sounds absolutely brutal. Did you even for a moment debate packing it in?
2014-07-02 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jeff glad to see you checking in and it sounds like you've had some great races as of late. Congrats on the PR's. AG and overall finishes. It's also good to hear that you are recovering nicely and your foot is doing well but man did you take a beating in the MTN bike race. I have to give you a lot credit and props after reading about that race. You are one tough dude, nobody can question your toughness. I'm not sure if I'd been able to continue after going down three times like that much less finish that race as well as you did. While the foot is doing better I hope the rest of you is recovering well and I hope you are feeling better.

2014-07-02 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by wbayek

Jeff, you're not the sharpest knife in the cupboard! That sounds absolutely brutal. whaw whaw waaa waaa whhaaahhh?

Warren, I don't understand your question! Is this English or a foreign language?
2014-07-02 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NH
Originally posted by JeffY

Jeff, you're not the sharpest knife in the cupboard! That sounds absolutely brutal. whaw whaw waaa waaa whhaaahhh?

Warren, I don't understand your question! Is this English or a foreign language?

I think someone's trying to tell you something when you keep falling on your face/shoulder/etc in a bike race! Of course, take anything I say with a grain of salt - I'm the person who tore the tendon off my thumb skiing and didn't know it until a friend grabbed my thumb three weeks later and moved it around without any impedance when I complained his car door handle was too hard to push in. But I've grown older and wiser since then. So you have that to look forward to as you age.

I agree with Tony though - you're one tough mofo. But I suppose you have to be ...

Edited by wbayek 2014-07-02 3:21 PM
2014-07-02 3:31 PM

User image

NH
This is unbelievable, not sure I can accept this. Dirk, you're gonna have to make a decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DZnrE17Jg3I
2014-07-02 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

This is unbelievable, not sure I can accept this. Dirk, you're gonna have to make a decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DZnrE17Jg3I

Warren I just saw this earlier today and was debating this with my training partners. I have to be honest I am finding this hard to believe but I guess you can't argue with the testing. That is a huge savings. If I weren't so lazy I might consider it for IMMT, free speed.
2014-07-02 7:51 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Terry,  I'm sorry that you had such a horrible time at this race.  I have a particular interest in it since I will be doing the first Challenge race in the Columbus Ohio area in about a month.  I hope I don't have a similar experience at the end of July.  I also would like to see another big triathlon organization give Ironman a run for their money so to speak.  

I've been extremely busy this week and I'm on vacation?!?!?!  Lis and I decided to add a patio addition to the back of our house at the last second instead of going camping and it's costing me ALL of my relaxation time.  I have removed, by shovel, over 33 cubic feet of dirt and sod and installed the stone base, sand base and now installing the pavers for the patio extension.  Once this is complete I am building a decorative block wall that will be about 22 inches tall.

Yesterday I got up and rode 90' and ran 30' then proceeded to work about 10 more hours digging and hauling dirt and stone.  I was completely exhausted at the end of the day.  The day was made worse by the lack of sleep the night before.  I was awake for over 2 hours in the night and awake again at 6:45 because Kyrie needed to get up for work.  

Today was a much better day!!  More was accomplished and I was better rested but there was still all kinds of work to complete.  I worked about 10 more hours today and still got a solid swim in.  4000 yards in just under 1:10 with the MS's being some fast 50's. the WO is below:

800 warmup swim; 10x50 sprints on 45"; 100 pb easy; 10x50 sprints on 45"; 100pb ez; 
10x50 sprints on 50"; 100 pb easy; 10x50 sprints on 55"; 100 pb easy; 10x50 sprints on 
60"; 200 swim cooldown

I had a pretty good effort despite all the fatigue I am dealing with from all of the hand digging.  My back, shoulders and neck are pretty sore and I almost decided to ditch the hard stuff for some more moderate swims but I'm glad I stuck to the plan.

Anyway, I wanted to check in and let you all know what's going on.  I haven't read a whole lot in the past couple of days, so I apologize.  I'll try to catch up on the RR's later.  I got to Vero's' but no one else's yet.

2014-07-02 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by wbayek This is unbelievable, not sure I can accept this. Dirk, you're gonna have to make a decision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DZnrE17J...

HA!!!

I am way ahead of you!  I've been shaving my legs for about 2 years now.  I started with Tri Indy in 2012 just as an experiment and it was a much better feel during the warmer days of training and racing.  I have since been shaving/trimming during the racing season but I grow lazy in the off season.

2014-07-03 7:23 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Jeff that is just ridiculous! I would of thrown the WTF early on and called it a day?
2014-07-03 7:45 AM

User image

Aero bars... Yes? No? Why?

A little background, I have a nice bike, a Carbon Cannondale Synapse that I picked up used over the winter for next to nothing. It has 105 gear and Mavic Aksium race wheels. The guy bought it never rode it and sold it to me for $600 bucks! It is a 56cm and I am 6’ tall. I had it fitted at the LBS and have been ridding mostly on the hoods; I have been trying to ride on the drops but just do not feel comfortable. For reference, I did 31 miles the other night in exactly 2 hours at what I would call an easy to moderate effort.

I am looking for words of wisdom regarding clip on Aero bars… are they worth it? What brands? Selling points? Seat adjustments, etc.

Thanks!

I am still working toward an Olympic in early September, but have signed up for a sprint on July 12, I don’t have a wetsuit, so I was thinking I would just swim in tri shorts… I cannot believe I am considering shaving!

(Bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bike.jpg (1702KB - 15 downloads)
2014-07-03 8:00 AM
in reply to: Captain_Chris

User image

Well... I screwed this up and don't know how.

How do I fix this post? It didnt look like this when I previewed it...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Summer Edition - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by parrj
Views: 10753 Posts: 133

2014-11-25 4:21 PM ARtridad74

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?