United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 14s
Overall Rank = 50/69
Age Group = 39 & Under Clyd
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, out the door by 4:45, and at the race site by 5:15. Had a pack of Belvita Breakfast Biscuits and 1% milk on the way there. After setting up, I had a banana. Really wish I hadn't done that, the whole race I felt like I was going to puke.
Event warmup:

My normal anti-warm up. Walked down to the swim start, hid my sandals and shirt, then did some arm swings and trunk twists. As the announcer was asking everyone to exit the water for the start, a pod of 8-10 dolphins came swimming by within 20 of where swimmers were still in the water. They circled the area twice before we started.
Swim
  • 17m 51s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swimming was about what I would expect, however, the 4 times I had to drain water out of my goggles was very disappointing.
What would you do differently?:

New goggles. That and get in the pool more than once a month.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Had a little scare when I ran into T1, miscounted the racks and thought someone had taken my bike.

Learn to count!
Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 20 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This was probably the most I've been passed on this course. The lack of training really hit me on the second half. I think I only passed 1 person the whole way and that was coming back into T2.

Stop making excuses and train.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Due to some nagging foot pain, I decided to wear my regular running shoes instead of my racing flats, because of that I took the extra time to put on socks. That slowed me down a bit, but overall saved my feet the abuse and blisters.

Nothing.
Run
  • 59m 12s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I my opinion, this was an absolutely unacceptable job by the RD. The website as of the day before still had the run being on the golf course, there was no mention of the change at packet pick up or during pre-race announcements. There was also no signage on the course. The only aid station was at the run start and turn around and there was no sports drink, water only.

More run training, stop making excuses, go back to setting aside time for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished with my slowest time ever at this race, grabbed a water and a beer and headed out to the swim start to pick up my sandals and shirt. Along the way I struck up a conversation with one of the female competitors that was heading the same way. We talked the entire way back, realized we have probably done a dozen or more of the same races and picked each other's brain about strategy, good races, etc. Turns out, she was the women's overall winner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SSDD. Too many missed workouts, too many excuses, too many beers.

Event comments:

This race has gone downhill quickly. After making changes to improve the course the first 2 years, the last 3 have been progressively worse. It's a real shame because this is a great venue for a triathlon. After last fall's race, I reached out to the RD to offer to help in any way I could. I never heard from her and was once again disappointed in this event.

Last updated: 2014-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:51 | 800 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 31/69
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU S:2
Course: Same course as past few years, "V" shaped course that starts near the base of the bridge, goes about 500 yards straight down the lagoon then makes a roughly 135 degree turn before heading back to shore on the north side of the lagoon.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:00 | 20 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 39/69
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Normal LBK out and back. Right turn out of the parking lot, left turn onto Gulf of Mexico Drive, then 9.75 miles to the turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:12 | 05 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 62/69
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was changed this year because of construction on the golf course, so instead of a zig-zagging loop course it was a 2 loop out and back on the road . With that being said, the RD still managed to have a long run course. My 910XT had the distance at 5.42 miles. I heard others that had it at 5.6 miles.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2014-05-25 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Longboat Key Triathlon Series

2014-05-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: #5001533

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Longboat Key Triathlon Series

I'm sorry to see the race was not to your liking. Keep training and you'll be back where youwere in no time. Will you be doing Englewood this year?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by PollyG
Views: 1248 Posts: 4

2011-10-23 10:40 PM cwpeters

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by eslavs
Views: 1074 Posts: 1

2010-11-08 8:34 PM eslavs

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1492 Posts: 2

2010-11-01 5:36 AM eslavs

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by PollyG
Views: 1117 Posts: 1

2010-10-25 7:15 PM PollyG

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by AGStrohm
Views: 1234 Posts: 1

2010-10-24 6:52 PM AGStrohm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 0
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.