General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Triathlon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 10s
Overall Rank = 50/396
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/29
Pre-race routine:

Nearly didn't do this race. Race was Sunday, so I tried to get a head start on good sleep Thursday night. Didn't happen, only 4 hours. Friday night is big sleep night as I usually don't get a good nights sleep the night before racing. Family matters resulted in zero sleep Friday night and kept me in the hospital until 3:30 AM race morning (all is OK now). So I finally get settled at home at 4:30 AM which is usually when I wake up. I lied there deprived of sleep for 2.5 days not to mention mentally drained.

But even as tired as I was, I knew I would feel better having raced. This sport has served as a sort of therapy for the last 4 years.
Event warmup:

I lifted myself out of bed, got my gear together, made some coffee and headed out the door. Transition was supposed to close at 7:00 and I rolled up at about 6:30. There was Patrick one rack over already telling me I was late....I set up transition, walked over to get my timing chip and body marking. Body marking was interesting, just a number on one wrist. No arms, legs, AG indiciation which was a first for me. I knew who my competition was and it was stacked.

Water temp was 61 deg F, by far the coldest I had experienced. I didn't take a warm up swim because my wave was more than 20 minutes from the time the lake had to be cleared. Just stood around chit-chatting with friends and other racers.
Swim
  • 22m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wave had men 40-49 and I knew who the fast guys were. I lined up in front with them hoping I could catch some draft, at least at the start. Man that start was cold! For the first time ever I had trouble breathing due to the extreme cold. I still managed to keep my stroke steady, just felt a little hypoxic for a bit.

Finally warmed up and I tailed a couple swimmers that led me off course a bit. I'm a right side breather and in tri swims i only breathe to the left ever so often. This time I went too long.

Finally corrected myself, rounded bouy number 1 and did the same mistake coming back to shore, D'oh. Still happy with my swim, an OLY PR swim by 3 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Breathe to left more often.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Long run to transition. Fumbled around trying to unsip wetsuit. Actually stopped/stepped to the side halfway to my bike.

Practice unzipping wetsuit?
Bike
  • 1h 07m 28s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 22.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Air temp was cooler than water temp so a little chilly on the bike at first. I was tight from the start. I was passing a lot of people but did not ride to my ability. Felt like cramping after 10 miles or so and had to back it off a little. Back was soar too so stood up/broke aero a few times.

Dunno, was pretty spent to begin with.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

OK transition for me. Nothing exciting to report here.
Run
  • 47m 41s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Still felt tight after the bike. The cramping sensation kept my pace down the first 4-5 miles. With about 2 miles to go I was able to pick it up a little. I was surprised I broke 50 minutes. Hopefully I can start running some more and not worry about that PF coming back.

Dunno
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, walked around, talked with friends, other athletes about the race. Got my results (love the individual printouts you get post race, very cool). Had one beer. All my training buds had great races, a lot of PR's. Male winner averaged 5:15 miles on the run. Was going to hang around for awards (to see Patrick get his 3rd in AG) but they were barely in the middle of sprint awards and I was pretty tired and ready for some sleep!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of proper rest leading up to race. I'm capable of much better performance, that day will come.

Event comments:

All in all I'm very happy I did this. This was actually only my 2nd official Olympic distance race and a PR! The Hy-Vee qualifier was supposed to be my first but the swim was cancelled so Hy-Vee was my first where I went 2:25 so beat that by a couple minutes. I'll have to say the wetsuit swim had a lot to do with it.

The race was well organized and there were plenty of volunteers. The SWAG was excellent, two T-shirts, blanket, water bottle, beer glass and a few other items. Post race grub was "meh" as all I could find was oranges and maybe bananas. NO CHOCOLATE MILK???? That's my favorite post race. If you bought the VIP Exerience the post race grub was better I hear (BBQ I think).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:58 | 1640 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/29
Overall: 22/396
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1 2-Piece
Course: Rectangle with 2 left turns.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:28 | 24.8 miles | 22.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/29
Overall: 48/396
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Loops, I think there was 6 turnarounds, totally kills average speed!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:41 | 06.2 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/29
Overall: 128/396
Performance: Average
Course: Two lap run course, partly on gravel, partly on asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-26 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-05-26 11:53 AM
in reply to: #5001719

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Nicely done! You are one smoking fast dude, I hope the PF issues are in the past and you can keep moving forward.

2014-05-27 12:58 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

No chocolate milk?!  Boycott the race from here on out.  Kidding!

Reece, wow.  You and your speed never cease to amaze me, especially after the rough spell you went through right before the race.  To put times down like you did on so little rest and your mind not quite where it needed to be is spectacular.  Hope all is well and your next race is performed with more sleep and less stress!  NIce job out there!

2014-06-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Nice race, Reese! Enjoyed chatting with you a bit after the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Ranski
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2014-05-23 8:36 AM Ranski

Kansas City Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1374 Posts: 2

2014-05-31 8:57 AM reecealan

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by regan1919
Views: 841 Posts: 1

2011-06-03 11:46 AM regan1919

Started by KCbeginner
Views: 1233 Posts: 3

2011-05-24 7:57 PM montyzooma

Started by RazorTri
Views: 1761 Posts: 5

2011-05-26 2:07 PM marvintpa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.