Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2015-05-03 1:33 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Ironman Texas 2015

Originally posted by 3mar I heard rumblings that it doesn't look like it will be wetsuit legal this year. Does anyone have any inside info on that? I get a lot of tricep fatigue when using a wetsuit so I have to wear it swimming a number of times before the race (so that means starting tomorrow) to get used to it, but if it doesn't look likely, I may forgo that exercise. It's a bit hot down here to wear it and it's just a general pain. I'm probably in the minority hoping that it's not wetsuit legal.

Official water temp for a sprint in the same lake yesterday was 75.1.  My guess is wetsuit optional.

2015-05-04 7:26 AM

User image

St Tammany Parish
Originally posted by 3mar

I'm probably in the minority hoping that it's not wetsuit legal.

I'm with you. I much prefer non wetsuit swims. Given the 10 day forecast and current lake temp I bet we get our wish.
2015-05-04 7:46 AM
in reply to: WyattEarp

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by WyattEarp

I'm probably in the minority hoping that it's not wetsuit legal.

I'm with you. I much prefer non wetsuit swims. Given the 10 day forecast and current lake temp I bet we get our wish.

Agreed here. My suit causes lots of neck rubbing....
2015-05-04 8:07 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by toodamnbroke
Originally posted by 3mar I'm probably in the minority hoping that it's not wetsuit legal.
Agreed here. My suit causes lots of neck rubbing....

I end up somehow swimming roughly the same pace either way so I'd take a nice non-wetsuit swim too.

2015-05-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by aggiegrad96

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but does anyone know what changes are taking place on the run course? There is construction going on and the waterway path is blocked after you pass the restaurants (heading out). I've looked on the race website and checked the athlete guide, but the course appears to be the same as the previous years. Maybe something has been posted and I missed it? The hubby and I ran the course today and were wondering where to go, lol.
[/QUOTE

The construction will not be done by race day so the run will diverted around the hotel and back onto the waterway. Not sure how exactly what that will look like though.
2015-05-04 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I'm a non-wetsuit fan as well. This is the 4th time I've done Texas and not one of the races had I ever thought that the water was "wetsuit" cold. If you don't want to wear one, just leave it at home. You won't really need it.

Mine, as well as my wife's, is still hanging up from last year, it won't be making the trip with us.

2015-05-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
The reported Lake Woodlands temp today is 77 degrees. I was hoping for wetsuit legal, but knew it would be a long shot. Either way, it will be okay.
2015-05-04 11:49 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

St Tammany Parish
Originally posted by papson14

I'm a non-wetsuit fan as well. This is the 4th time I've done Texas and not one of the races had I ever thought that the water was "wetsuit" cold. If you don't want to wear one, just leave it at home. You won't really need it.

Mine, as well as my wife's, is still hanging up from last year, it won't be making the trip with us.

I'm a super cold wimp so if its a wetsuit swim I definitely wear one. That being said the 76-83 optional range is perfect swim tempurate water.

Place your bets on race day water temp Price is Right rules. I'm guessing 78.8.
2015-05-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Place your bets on race day water temp Price is Right rules. I'm guessing 78.8.

The only bet I'm placing is me making the water warmer around me!! --- eww gross.

Edited by toodamnbroke 2015-05-04 12:12 PM
2015-05-04 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by aggiegrad96 Okay, this might be a dumb question, but does anyone know what changes are taking place on the run course? There is construction going on and the waterway path is blocked after you pass the restaurants (heading out). I've looked on the race website and checked the athlete guide, but the course appears to be the same as the previous years. Maybe something has been posted and I missed it? The hubby and I ran the course today and were wondering where to go, lol.

On the North side of the waterway as you return from the mall turnaround you will turn right as if you were finishing from previous years and run up and around the hotel. The stairway next to the fountain (the ones that wind around the big fountain) will be boarded to make a 'downhill' of sorts, you will proceed down the second set of stairs (boarded as well) back onto the waterway and proceed as normal.

On the South side of the waterway on that same spot, will be open come race day. That pedestrian bridge that they are finishing may not be complete to use by then ( to cross) but the underbelly of it will be far enough along that the run course won't be changed.

2015-05-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Pro
CyFair

When in doubt ask TJ

2015-05-05 12:36 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Is anyone else doing ridiculous things to acclimate to the heat of Texas? For the past few weeks, I've been wearing a heavy ski jacket to work and cranking up the heat in my office. At first it was very uncomfortable, but now it feels quite normal. During training I wear up to three layers in an effort to simulate the heat (termperatures in So Cal have been in the 70s-80s recently). Needless to say I get a lot of strange looks, but the same approach worked pretty well for me for Cabo.
2015-05-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: adamchill

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by adamchill

Is anyone else doing ridiculous things to acclimate to the heat of Texas? For the past few weeks, I've been wearing a heavy ski jacket to work and cranking up the heat in my office. At first it was very uncomfortable, but now it feels quite normal. During training I wear up to three layers in an effort to simulate the heat (termperatures in So Cal have been in the 70s-80s recently). Needless to say I get a lot of strange looks, but the same approach worked pretty well for me for Cabo.

YES!!! I live in HOUSTON! Meant to be half funny sarcasm, and half truth.. it's just hot here!!!
2015-05-05 3:36 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

I live in the Florida Keys, so I will be looking forward to the cool temps and low humidity of Texas
2015-05-05 5:34 PM

User image

Fortunately we've had a hot spring here in Southern California. But unfortunately it's hard to prepare for the humidity. I'm just looking forward to racing without all these layers! My motto has been train heavy, race light.
2015-05-06 7:30 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Katy, Texas
I realize this will change at least 10 times before the race, but wouldn't this be a dream come true...cool weather, clouds and winds out of the north.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (79KB - 7 downloads)

2015-05-06 7:49 AM

User image

St Tammany Parish

Yeah. Living in New Orleans. Hot and humid is the norm.

I realize this will change at least 10 times before the race, but wouldn't this be a dream come true...cool weather, clouds and winds out of the north.

At least 10 times. Hard to trust much more than a 3 day forecast around here. Quite honestly I'd rather the heat than a day of rain.

Edited by WyattEarp 2015-05-06 7:52 AM
2015-05-06 11:09 AM

User image

If that forecast was to stick, given the quality of racers in the pro field, it may be possible to see a sub-8 hour finish from the winner. But yeah, I'm not counting on it to stick
2015-05-06 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I would love that forecast, but we won't know for sure until race morning. I can't tell you how many times I've changed my riding plans for Saturday after seeing the forecast on Friday night (with a huge chance of rain), only to have perfect riding weather on Saturday. You just never can tell here!

As for adapting to the heat, I am trying to run after work as much as possible when it's nice and warm.

And thank you TJ for the run course info! We've always had our pop-up tent on the course near the Marriott, so I wanted to make sure I'd see them 2x on each loop!
2015-05-07 1:11 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hrm.... 10 days till race day. Wow it is sinking in... where did I thoughtfully put away all my IM race junk?
2015-05-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #5001866

User image

Regular
Started prepping today w some gathering and packing some gear. Couple more ez w/o's left then 10 hrs drive to race on Wednesday. Ready to roll.

Tom

2015-05-11 10:26 AM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Katy, Texas
Athlete check in closes at 5 on Thursday? I just saw that in an email. I've never participated in an event large or small that had a manditory check in close that early before a race. Even the NYC marathon had check in the day before If I remember correctly. My flight doesn't get in until 4:15 so there is no way I'd make it. How can it not be open in the evening, people are coming in from all over the world. I called and emailed them but haven't got a response. This is insane.
2015-05-11 11:47 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas

Athlete check in closes at 5 on Thursday? I just saw that in an email. I've never participated in an event large or small that had a manditory check in close that early before a race. Even the NYC marathon had check in the day before If I remember correctly. My flight doesn't get in until 4:15 so there is no way I'd make it. How can it not be open in the evening, people are coming in from all over the world. I called and emailed them but haven't got a response. This is insane.

per the guide.
Please Note:
Athletes competing in IRONMAN events are required to check-in at
the venue during the dates and times listed in the Athlete Guide and
Event Schedule. Athlete Check-In will not be available outside the
posted times. Should an athlete have a legitimate emergency, IRONMAN
will try to accommodate the athlete to the best of our ability as
long as the athlete informs IRONMAN. To inform IRONMAN of any
emergency during race week, athletes must call the EMERGENCY
PHONE NUMBER listed above.
Race Day Emergency Contact:
IRONMAN Athlete Serv ices
727-430-6405
TEXAS @IRONMAN.CO M

I would start calling and/or emailing them now. It's too important not to try.

EDIT: I doubt they let you, but if there is some way I can help by getting your packet just let me know if they allow special arrangements.

Edited by toodamnbroke 2015-05-11 11:48 AM
2015-05-11 11:50 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
On another note: I haven't slept well in weeks!!!!! Hopefully I'm the only one with this problem. Not sure the cause, I haven't had any of the anxiety dreams, now do I even lay awake thinking about SBR.. I just can't sleep. I'm sure somewhere down deep I'm nervous about the race. Just a few more days everyone!!!
2015-05-11 1:07 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by toodamnbroke

per the guide.
Please Note:
Athletes competing in IRONMAN events are required to check-in at
the venue during the dates and times listed in the Athlete Guide and
Event Schedule. Athlete Check-In will not be available outside the
posted times. Should an athlete have a legitimate emergency, IRONMAN
will try to accommodate the athlete to the best of our ability as
long as the athlete informs IRONMAN. To inform IRONMAN of any
emergency during race week, athletes must call the EMERGENCY
PHONE NUMBER listed above.
Race Day Emergency Contact:
IRONMAN Athlete Serv ices
727-430-6405
TEXAS @IRONMAN.CO M

I would start calling and/or emailing them now. It's too important not to try.

EDIT: I doubt they let you, but if there is some way I can help by getting your packet just let me know if they allow special arrangements.

Thanks for the offer but I'm just going to rebook an earlier flight. There is no use stressing about it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Texas 2015 Rss Feed  

of 12