Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2015-04-01 10:54 AM
in reply to: hathecr

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Texas 2015
Pretty happy with my month overall. Increased time in pool over last couple of months, so feeling better there. Run volume picked up and legs feel good. April will focus on continuing increase in bike volume.

March's totals
Swim: 9h 07m 20s - 28900 Yd
Bike: 34h 18m 05s - 595.71 Mi
Run: 18h 51m 29s - 120.45 M

2015-04-01 1:39 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hell Month Begins!!!

(march.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
march.bmp (203KB - 4 downloads)
2015-04-01 2:24 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
You people are animals!!! I thought last month was hell month, I guess it gets worse.

Swim: 16450yd
Bike: 500miles
Run: 85

My biggest month ever, and made me especially tired considering I took 6 days off to go skiing. I feel like a cast member EXTRA on The Walking Dead... just a corpse hobbling around day to day.
2015-04-01 4:16 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Orange County, California
March totals are:

Swim - 18,656 Yards (all pool)

Bike - 268 Miles (all trainer)

Run - 89 Miles (all outside)

Missed about one week due to travel. The first day back to my routine felt as if I hasn't worked out for 6 months. Felt great to get back into the swing of things. I regret missing the 5 days of training, but at the same time, it may have helped me get "refreshed". Looking forward to the rest of this month! Can't believe the race is officially next month. Cannot wait.
2015-04-01 4:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
March for me...I did take a couple days of last week from biking and running. It was "recovery week" and I was having some aches and pains.

Swim - 13:15, 36,600 yds (that seems high?)
Bike - 28:34, 462 miles
Run - 18:42, 96.2 miles

Umm, you can tell I'm slow, lol. This week is definitely a killer training week, but I hear that's normal and that April is crazy. Looking forward to getting this month done and moving into May!!!

Edited by aggiegrad96 2015-04-01 4:19 PM
2015-04-01 7:41 PM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

User image

Regular
I'll echo the sentiment about April being hell month. Hope everyone survives and comes out healthy and ready to rock in May. Past month, I had to cut a few workouts short and missed a few due to weather, work, etc. Totals for March:

Swim: 11h 43m 21s - 37000 Yd

Bike: 29h 36m 10s - 564.08 Mi

Run: 20h 11m 09s - 140.39 Mi

Tom

2015-04-02 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Solid month for me and my body is holding up well. It did, however, take me longer than I thought to recover from my 22 mile run last week and my bike watts and run intervals showed it. I'm guessing I'll have at least 1 more 22 miler this month along with several 100-120 mile rides and a 90 mile ride at above IM watts target.

March's totals

Swim: 12h 02m - 32100 Yd
Bike: 43h 46m 03s - 843.67 Mi
Run: 22h 22m 51s - 174.62 Mi
2015-04-03 4:46 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Hey all, I just found this thread. IMTX will be my first IM. I'm totally pumped and totally nervous.

So for those of you who have done it before, or at least are familiar with the area, I have some questions about conditions. I hear that it is a "hot, flat and windy" IM. Realizing that those things are relative, I'm curious how much of each? I train and live in Key Largo, so what I consider "hot" is 80-90 degrees at 80% or more humidity. Being on a very thin island, we regularly get sustained winds of 20-30 mph with gusts much higher. So I'm wondering, what do you normally see? Is it that hot and humid? My assumption has been that it will be cooler than I'm used to but more hilly. Down here I have maybe 4 or 5 10'-20' foot little rollers that are probably no steeper than most people's driveways, so "flat" to you is mountainous to me.

Any numerical generalities on the weather (I realize it could range quite a bit, but really just trying to get a feel) would be helpful.
2015-04-03 7:45 PM
in reply to: #5001866

User image

Regular
I'm sure folks who live in the area can speak more on weather pattern there on long term past, but i did the race in 13 and it was hot and had wind, but I knew that going is what I expected. I didn't expect 100 degrees, but it was out of my control. Last year I seen was nice. I'm also from FL (panhandle), so that helps with heat acclimating. You should be very used to it as the Keys are warmer and humid. The hills in TX aren't that big of a deal, I would fear the elements more. Good luck.
2015-04-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by 3mar Hey all, I just found this thread. IMTX will be my first IM. I'm totally pumped and totally nervous. So for those of you who have done it before, or at least are familiar with the area, I have some questions about conditions. I hear that it is a "hot, flat and windy" IM. Realizing that those things are relative, I'm curious how much of each? I train and live in Key Largo, so what I consider "hot" is 80-90 degrees at 80% or more humidity. Being on a very thin island, we regularly get sustained winds of 20-30 mph with gusts much higher. So I'm wondering, what do you normally see? Is it that hot and humid? My assumption has been that it will be cooler than I'm used to but more hilly. Down here I have maybe 4 or 5 10'-20' foot little rollers that are probably no steeper than most people's driveways, so "flat" to you is mountainous to me. Any numerical generalities on the weather (I realize it could range quite a bit, but really just trying to get a feel) would be helpful.

The high temp on race day each year was:

2011 - 91, humid, partly cloudy

2012 - 89, not that humid, very sunny

2013 - 91, very humid, very sunny 

2014 - 84 or 85, not that humid, partly cloudy

2013 was just brutal.  It was the worst of 2011 and 2012 put together.  It was hot, humid, and with zero clouds.  I think the heat index went into the triple digits for almost all the afternoon.  It was just nasty.

Wind will be less than what you're used to on an island but it will be a factor to some degree.  The usual pattern is a southerly wind so expect some kind of tailwind early, some crosswinds in the middle, and some headwind coming back.  Just a matter of how strong it's blowing.

It will definitely be a lot more "hilly" than what you ride.  I think total elevation gain was just about 2,500'.  There are no real hills, just some rollers, mostly in the middle third of the course.

2015-04-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by 3mar Hey all, I just found this thread. IMTX will be my first IM. I'm totally pumped and totally nervous. So for those of you who have done it before, or at least are familiar with the area, I have some questions about conditions. I hear that it is a "hot, flat and windy" IM. Realizing that those things are relative, I'm curious how much of each? I train and live in Key Largo, so what I consider "hot" is 80-90 degrees at 80% or more humidity. Being on a very thin island, we regularly get sustained winds of 20-30 mph with gusts much higher. So I'm wondering, what do you normally see? Is it that hot and humid? My assumption has been that it will be cooler than I'm used to but more hilly. Down here I have maybe 4 or 5 10'-20' foot little rollers that are probably no steeper than most people's driveways, so "flat" to you is mountainous to me. Any numerical generalities on the weather (I realize it could range quite a bit, but really just trying to get a feel) would be helpful.

2013 was just brutal.  It was the worst of 2011 and 2012 put together.  It was hot, humid, and with zero clouds.  I think the heat index went into the triple digits for almost all the afternoon.  It was just nasty.

Wind will be less than what you're used to on an island but it will be a factor to some degree.  The usual pattern is a southerly wind so expect some kind of tailwind early, some crosswinds in the middle, and some headwind coming back.  Just a matter of how strong it's blowing.

It will definitely be a lot more "hilly" than what you ride.  I think total elevation gain was just about 2,500'.  There are no real hills, just some rollers, mostly in the middle third of the course.

Thanks for all the detail, that's really helpful. So it looks like it will likely be pretty hot. I guess it's good that I've been training in it. Still, that's going to make for a rough marathon. Is the run course shaded at all, or is it exposed?

2015-04-05 2:45 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by tallytom

I'm sure folks who live in the area can speak more on weather pattern there on long term past, but i did the race in 13 and it was hot and had wind, but I knew that going is what I expected. I didn't expect 100 degrees, but it was out of my control. Last year I seen was nice. I'm also from FL (panhandle), so that helps with heat acclimating. You should be very used to it as the Keys are warmer and humid. The hills in TX aren't that big of a deal, I would fear the elements more. Good luck.

Thanks. I'm sure living here will help. I'm still a little worried about the hills though.
2015-04-05 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by 3mar

Thanks for all the detail, that's really helpful. So it looks like it will likely be pretty hot. I guess it's good that I've been training in it. Still, that's going to make for a rough marathon. Is the run course shaded at all, or is it exposed?

It gets shady when it gets dark, that's about it.
2015-04-06 9:40 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by papson14

IDK the section back on South Panther Creek is shady.  It's also the loneliest part of the course and where you see most of the bodies.  LOL.

2015-04-06 9:42 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by tallytom I'm sure folks who live in the area can speak more on weather pattern there on long term past, but i did the race in 13 and it was hot and had wind, but I knew that going is what I expected. I didn't expect 100 degrees, but it was out of my control. Last year I seen was nice. I'm also from FL (panhandle), so that helps with heat acclimating. You should be very used to it as the Keys are warmer and humid. The hills in TX aren't that big of a deal, I would fear the elements more. Good luck.
Thanks. I'm sure living here will help. I'm still a little worried about the hills though.

You ride in central FL at all?  Hills are similar.  It's not pancake flat like Panama City Beach, but it's no Lake Placid/Whistler/etc.  Just keep your watts/HR in the zone while spinning up the inclines and save your legs for the run.

2015-04-06 9:42 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by uhcoog

IDK the section back on South Panther Creek is shady.  It's also the loneliest part of the course and where you see most of the bodies.  LOL.

See the most bodies... Can you further explain?? Like people passed out?

2015-04-06 10:01 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by papson14

Thanks...that joke just gave me my daily twinge of pre-race anxiety....
2015-04-06 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Houston

This is the best ever.

Just when I start thinking I should do IMTX I pop in and read this thread.

Edited by KeriKadi 2015-04-06 10:24 AM
2015-04-06 10:59 AM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by toodamnbroke
Originally posted by uhcoog IDK the section back on South Panther Creek is shady.  It's also the loneliest part of the course and where you see most of the bodies.  LOL.
See the most bodies... Can you further explain?? Like people passed out?

Yeah.  Sitting/laying on the side of the road.  The heat catches up with you if you don't regulate effort on the bike.  2013 was the worst.  Last year was better when I walked back there to see how many of my guys were walking, but temps last year were a bit of an anomaly.

Basically you come off the Waterway where there is a TON of energy, head out past the swim start, and then turn down that stretch of road.  Crowd support gets a bit sparse and it's really tempting to walk.  If you overcooked the bike it gets really tempting to park it for a bit.  

Keri just wait until it moves to April.  It will be wetsuit legal and with the wind out of the north/northwest the bike course will be there for the taking.  

2015-04-06 11:05 AM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas

Last year was better when I walked back there to see how many of my guys were walking...

Then I'm glad you are racing this year and not able to go check on me walking I just need to make sure you don't run past me!!!
2015-04-06 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I think IMTX is on the list of one of the toughest and that's mainly due to the heat and humidity. And, for the past few years the heat sneaks up on us...it's relatively cool in May UNTIL Ironman weekend. Then it's "BAM welcome summer!"

2015-04-06 10:18 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
>Keri just wait until it moves to April.  It will be wetsuit legal and with the wind out of the north/northwest the bike course will be there for the taking.  

But then I will have to bike in January! Yikes!
2015-04-07 8:50 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
So I have a family support logistics questions for those who have been through this. We live in the Heights, and sadly my daughter's ballet recital is the same day as IMTX. I told all my family to go and support her then try and make it to the Woodlands. Her recital ends at 5 or so and I'm trying to figure out what might be the best way to get them to the run course. I just don't know much about the Woodlands and even less about race day accommodations and parking for family and friends. And help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Justin
2015-04-07 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by toodamnbroke So I have a family support logistics questions for those who have been through this. We live in the Heights, and sadly my daughter's ballet recital is the same day as IMTX. I told all my family to go and support her then try and make it to the Woodlands. Her recital ends at 5 or so and I'm trying to figure out what might be the best way to get them to the run course. I just don't know much about the Woodlands and even less about race day accommodations and parking for family and friends. And help will be appreciated. Thanks Justin

Either they can go up 45 and park in the Mall lot (just don't use the movie theater's lot or they'll tow you) or there are parking garages along Lake Robins Dr.  It's a short walk to the run course from there.

2015-04-07 11:21 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by KeriKadi
Originally posted by uhcoog >Keri just wait until it moves to April.  It will be wetsuit legal and with the wind out of the north/northwest the bike course will be there for the taking.  
But then I will have to bike in January! Yikes!

The trainer is your friend.  

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Texas 2015 Rss Feed  

of 12