of 12

2014-06-05 9:17 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Ironman Texas 2015

Originally posted by papson14
Originally posted by strykergt Rear Wheel Cover?? Thoughts??
Absolutely. This year was windy, very windy, and I had zero issues with the disc cover.

Yep.  

2014-06-06 1:07 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-14 4:53 PM
in reply to: pahmiyel

Regular
Houston, Texas
Marriott Waterway and Residence Inn are already showing as sold out. Geez!
2014-06-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: awal1

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by awal1

Marriott Waterway and Residence Inn are already showing as sold out. Geez!

Did you just check online? Have you tried calling them?? 281-367-9797
2014-06-24 10:34 AM
in reply to: strykergt

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by strykergt
Originally posted by awal1 Marriott Waterway and Residence Inn are already showing as sold out. Geez!
Did you just check online? Have you tried calling them?? 281-367-9797

When I called they said all the rooms with 2 beds were taken.  I may book the Woodlands Resort.

2014-06-30 9:42 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

Regular
Houston, Texas
I got the Hilton Garden Inn around the corner.

2014-07-14 4:16 PM
in reply to: awal1

Bossier City
I'm in!! This will be my first full distance race. I did Rev3 Williamsburg half and I'll be doing Ironman 70.3 Austin in October. That gives me a little over 6 months to get ready for IMTX.
2014-07-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: WaltRitchie

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by WaltRitchie I'm in!! This will be my first full distance race. I did Rev3 Williamsburg half and I'll be doing Ironman 70.3 Austin in October. That gives me a little over 6 months to get ready for IMTX.

Hope to see you in Austin

2014-08-12 10:07 PM

so we are about to book our hotels too, but curious what everyone suggests how many days before we should book our rooms. would arriving on thursday be too late? until what time and day are registration packets usually available until?

thanks for the help!
2014-08-12 10:12 PM

2014-08-15 11:50 AM
in reply to: Aantigua

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Remember, IMTX is a Saturday race, so check-in / packet pick-up days are Wed and Thurs, ending at 5 each evening. Some people get burned every year thinking they can get in late Thursday or Friday morning and check-in......exceptions to the check-in policy are pretty rare.

2014-08-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

Thanks a bunch. We plan on arriving early Thursday morning so we expect to have ample time to pick up out reg. packets.
2014-08-20 10:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: pahmiyel

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by pahmiyel

Trying to plan out a race schedule for earlier 2015, cant decided between doing the Tall Texan half distance or signing up for the IMTX camp? Has anyone done either of these or have a recommendation? Both are the last weekend of March

http://www.brittonbikes.com/hcsa-events/tall-texan-tri/tall-tx-mainpage.htm

http://www.outrivalracing.com/training-camp/ (im assuming this will be the same weekend in 2015)

IMO they'd serve distinctly different purposes.  You can practice nutrition & pacing in a race environment at the Tall Texan or you can get a preview of the IMTX course and get info from coaches at the Outrival Camp.

FWIW we, Sonic Endurance, will probably be running a camp too that is tentatively scheduled for the weekend of April 10th.

2014-08-24 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5001866

Regular
I'm in. Did it in 2013, the year of the brutal heat. Regardless, I'm ready to come back for more. A great venue.
2014-08-25 11:26 AM
in reply to: tallytom

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
I'm in. Booked the Springhill Suites for Thurs-Sat nights. This is IM#4 for me and I'm hoping to go sub13.

Plan on driving down from Dallas at the crack of dawn on Thurs AM to allow ample time for check in.

For those that have done it in the past, what did you do to prepare for the heat? I've been reading up on some strategies and it looks like spending increasing amounts of time each day in the sauna is really, really helpful. Dallas won't be very hot yet by mid May, although it should be somewhat warm.

2014-08-25 6:35 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

Regular
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

I'm in. Booked the Springhill Suites for Thurs-Sat nights. This is IM#4 for me and I'm hoping to go sub13.

Plan on driving down from Dallas at the crack of dawn on Thurs AM to allow ample time for check in.

For those that have done it in the past, what did you do to prepare for the heat? I've been reading up on some strategies and it looks like spending increasing amounts of time each day in the sauna is really, really helpful. Dallas won't be very hot yet by mid May, although it should be somewhat warm.

The good news is your from TX and that helps in the heat acclimation, well at least in theory. It all depends on the weather preceding the race. When I did it in 13, most of the county, including the south (I'm in FL) really was cooler. Then on race day, it went to the extreme (100+ heat index). Not much you can do for that type of weather. Just race w/in yourself on race day, take in ample fluids.

It really is a great venue.

Tom
2014-08-25 10:56 PM
in reply to: tallytom

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this race.  I've got spousal approval and the swim is the only thing making me hesitant.  I've done Vineman full twice so not too concerned about the heat.  I was hoping WTC would implement a time trial or wave start but doesn't look like that is going to happen.  I've done a lot of research on the race and it all appeals to me greatly other than the swim.  I'm a 1:15ish swimmer and would wear either a wetsuit or wetsuit pants.  Any way to get through this without the battle in the water?

2014-08-26 7:49 AM
in reply to: popsracer

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this race.  I've got spousal approval and the swim is the only thing making me hesitant.  I've done Vineman full twice so not too concerned about the heat.  I was hoping WTC would implement a time trial or wave start but doesn't look like that is going to happen.  I've done a lot of research on the race and it all appeals to me greatly other than the swim.  I'm a 1:15ish swimmer and would wear either a wetsuit or wetsuit pants.  Any way to get through this without the battle in the water?

The huge difference between IMTX and other hot races is the other hot races are in the middle or the end of summer.  IMTX is in the spring.  2.5 months earlier than Vineman.  You won't have the luxury of being able to train in warm weather.  Napa Valley also isn't as humid as Houston.

You basically live in Canada.  All your training leading up to IMTX would be in temps between 50-60 degrees.  The high temps for IMTX have been 91, 89, 91, and 84.  That's just the temps.  Add the humidity and the heat index in 2011 was in the upper-90's.  Heat index in 2013 actually hit triple digits.  Last year was considered the cold year... which was still the mid-80's.  I'd be concerned about the heat.  IMO, people choosing IMTX coming from cooler climates are not choosing their races wisely.  There's a reason I will never do IM Tahoe.  I can't train for that altitude and I can't train for 35-50 degree temps when it's still 95 degrees in Houston in September.  IM Tahoe would be a poor choice for me.  If I lived somewhere with temps of 50 degrees during April and May I'm not choosing a race with the potential for 100 degree weather.  That stated, many folks come down to IMTX from the northern locales each year.  Most suffer, some do well.

Last year's wetsuit swim was quite the anomaly.  I would never count on that happening again (until the race moves to April starting in 2017 and then I expect it to be wetsuit legal every year). 

2014-08-26 2:35 PM

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I'm a local and have done 3 of the last 4 years. Have not signed up for 2015 yet, but expect I will within the next few weeks. 2014 was the fluke year for cool swim temps. I wouldn't count on that happening again. Past years have been in that wacky "wear your wet-suit, but waive your rights to AG awards and Kona Spots" water temperature range. When that's the cae, they've started to split the race into two waves....naked swimmers starting at 7:00 and wet suits at 7:10. In normal years, it's been about an 80/20 split between non-wet suits and wet suits, so the wet suit wave is actually pretty small and mostly contact free. The start is wide enough that it spreads out quickly and it's usually no worse than a typical HIM wave start from a contact standpoint.

You will pass a lot of people from the non-wet suit wave once you get into the canal. The canal's fairly narrow, but I didn't think it was that bad from a contact stand-point. It's more passing people than swimming in a group by that time.

Just as there's a slim change that it'll be an unrestricted wet suit race and one big mass start, there's also a chance that it'll be above the upper limit and completely non-wetsuit race and one big mass start.
2014-08-26 5:36 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The huge difference between IMTX and other hot races is the other hot races are in the middle or the end of summer.  IMTX is in the spring.  2.5 months earlier than Vineman.  You won't have the luxury of being able to train in warm weather.  Napa Valley also isn't as humid as Houston.

You basically live in Canada.  All your training leading up to IMTX would be in temps between 50-60 degrees.  The high temps for IMTX have been 91, 89, 91, and 84.  That's just the temps.  Add the humidity and the heat index in 2011 was in the upper-90's.  Heat index in 2013 actually hit triple digits.  Last year was considered the cold year... which was still the mid-80's.  I'd be concerned about the heat.  IMO, people choosing IMTX coming from cooler climates are not choosing their races wisely.  There's a reason I will never do IM Tahoe.  I can't train for that altitude and I can't train for 35-50 degree temps when it's still 95 degrees in Houston in September.  IM Tahoe would be a poor choice for me.  If I lived somewhere with temps of 50 degrees during April and May I'm not choosing a race with the potential for 100 degree weather.  That stated, many folks come down to IMTX from the northern locales each year.  Most suffer, some do well.

Last year's wetsuit swim was quite the anomaly.  I would never count on that happening again (until the race moves to April starting in 2017 and then I expect it to be wetsuit legal every year). 

Ideal? No.  But "people choosing IMTX coming from cooler climates are not choosing their races wisely" is a bit of a stretch IMO.

My comment about not being too concerned about the heat probably wasn't the best choice of words.  I am certainly concerned about the heat just not in the context of my criteria for selecting the race.  I've particpated in many races over the last 35 years in hot, humid conditions.

Also, and not to be snippy, all of my training will not be in temps between 50-60 degrees.  I do most of my riding year round on my trainer where I am able to control any environment I want and I do like it hot.  Running is a little tougher as I hate running on a treadmill but in the heat of the afternoon everyone suffers.  What I think is equally important (if not more so) to acclimation is to have a good handle on your hydration/nutrition needs in the heat as well as adjusting your expectations/pacing to match the conditions.  I have no problem dialing it back if I need to as the podium is not my goal. Just to do the best I can with what I bring to the show is.

And actually, one of things that has drawn me to this race is going to Texas.  I've never been there but know and have have met many people from there and I've never met a Texan I did not like.

Edited by popsracer 2014-08-26 5:38 PM

2014-08-27 11:36 AM

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Ideal? No.  But "people choosing IMTX coming from cooler climates are not choosing their races wisely" is a bit of a stretch IMO.

My comment about not being too concerned about the heat probably wasn't the best choice of words.  I am certainly concerned about the heat just not in the context of my criteria for selecting the race.  I've particpated in many races over the last 35 years in hot, humid conditions.

Also, and not to be snippy, all of my training will not be in temps between 50-60 degrees.  I do most of my riding year round on my trainer where I am able to control any environment I want and I do like it hot.  Running is a little tougher as I hate running on a treadmill but in the heat of the afternoon everyone suffers.  What I think is equally important (if not more so) to acclimation is to have a good handle on your hydration/nutrition needs in the heat as well as adjusting your expectations/pacing to match the conditions.  I have no problem dialing it back if I need to as the podium is not my goal. Just to do the best I can with what I bring to the show is.

And actually, one of things that has drawn me to this race is going to Texas.  I've never been there but know and have have met many people from there and I've never met a Texan I did not like.

I'd actually agree with Bob.  Trainer or not it's hard to simulate the humidity and the heat, which was enough to blister some athletes' feet in 2013, while in you basement up north.  

As it pertains to affable Texans:  1.  Thanks.   2.  Bob isn't a Texan, he's a Yank.

2014-08-27 12:14 PM

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Scott, I hear and understand what you and Bob are saying.  I am hoping to make a final decision soon.  I have wanted to do a WTC IM for quite a while but since I don't race on Sundays my choices are very limited.

2014-08-27 1:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I think the only Saturday IM's races are Texas and Florida.

2014-08-27 1:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by uhcoog

As it pertains to affable Texans:  1.  Thanks.   2.  Bob isn't a Texan, he's a Yank.

I haven't lived in NY for over 21 years.  So nearly half my life has been spent in NC or TX.  Can I be half-southern? 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Texas 2015 Rss Feed  

of 12