General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New - Advice to get started? (Cincinnati) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-27 2:31 PM

Subject: New - Advice to get started? (Cincinnati)
Hello all,
I'm new to the triathlon world and would love any and all advice to get started!!

What would you all say are necessities to get started. From what I can tell triathlons can get pretty expensive, so what do I need just at the start?

Also, any training groups or triathlon clubs around? Any places that I should go for advice? I'm from Northern Kentucky but we seem to have nothing. Anything in the Cincinnati area?

I won't need it yet, but any place to open water swim?

Also any recommendations on a coach??

2014-05-27 6:57 PM
in reply to: LiveLaughSurvivor

User image

Subject: RE: New - Advice to get started? (Cincinnati)
All you need to get started are goggles, a swimsuit, any bike at all, helmet and some running shoes. Tri it out first If you like it then start adding equipment -- wetsuit, better bike, clip ins, bike shoes, more running shoes etc...

It is cliché to see folks that spent wads of money on one race to find out they didn't like it. Start slow

Teams:
Team RWB
Cincy Express
And I think Go Fast multisport is a great place for gear, coaching and lots of insight.
2014-05-30 8:20 AM
in reply to: wrt351

User image

I am like you and also in cincy.

What I have been doing w the equipment area is basically making purchases based on how much I will use something and benefit even if I wasn't doing Tri's.

For example a wetsuit might get used 5 times, maybe a year. Where a good pair of running shoes might get used that much in a week. Things of that nature
2014-05-30 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Originally posted by LiveLaughSurvivor

Hello all,
I'm new to the triathlon world and would love any and all advice to get started!!

What would you all say are necessities to get started. From what I can tell triathlons can get pretty expensive, so what do I need just at the start?

Also, any training groups or triathlon clubs around? Any places that I should go for advice? I'm from Northern Kentucky but we seem to have nothing. Anything in the Cincinnati area?

I won't need it yet, but any place to open water swim?

Also any recommendations on a coach??

Welcome to Triathlons. I live in cincy and have been doing tris for a while. I train with Cincy Express and love the group. It is $35 to join the group but included is a TON of discounts for races, bike shops, sponsors etc. We have people who have raced at Kona and people who are just getting into it. So its a great group for all levels. We also do a ton of group workouts at Ceasers Creek or East Fork. I would highly recommend checking them out.
2014-05-30 9:13 PM
in reply to: The Dude14

Welcome to Triathlons. I live in cincy and have been doing tris for a while. I train with Cincy Express and love the group. It is $35 to join the group but included is a TON of discounts for races, bike shops, sponsors etc. We have people who have raced at Kona and people who are just getting into it. So its a great group for all levels. We also do a ton of group workouts at Ceasers Creek or East Fork. I would highly recommend checking them out.

Could you post the link to Cincy Express's website, I seem to be having trouble finding it!

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!!
2014-06-02 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Originally posted by LiveLaughSurvivor

Could you post the link to Cincy Express's website, I seem to be having trouble finding it!

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!!

http://www.active.com/taylor-mill-ky/triathlon/races/cincy-express-...

Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Happy to meet up for a ride if needed.

2014-06-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ive heard of cincy express as well but couldn't quite find the link, thanks for posting.

By the way, depending on where you live I bike out at Miami Whitewater a decent amount

Edited by ECS49 2014-06-04 9:02 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New - Advice to get started? (Cincinnati) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cincinnati International Triathlon & Sports Festival - Miami Whitewater Park

Started by amymengel
Views: 1289 Posts: 3

2007-05-18 10:02 PM dtjunkie

Training Alone in Cincinnati

Started by cincymatt
Views: 957 Posts: 3

2007-04-20 3:11 PM trobenson

Reggae Run in Cincinnati

Started by DTraub
Views: 1632 Posts: 4

2006-10-07 9:14 PM DTraub

Gearing up in Cincinnati

Started by DTraub
Views: 1362 Posts: 5

2006-10-03 4:57 PM Sassafras

Cincinnati, Ohio ?

Started by landlover
Views: 1242 Posts: 3

2005-01-05 10:56 PM Fat N Drunk No More
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
comments : 0
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!