Other Resources The Political Joe » California shooting...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-05-27 4:07 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: California shooting......

I'm sure many of you have seen the news of Elliot Rodger's manifesto and youtube video posted before he went on his "rampage" in Santa Barbara.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.....there really are no words that could convey the sadness I feel for anyone who loses a child.

That said, the writings and video left by the killer give a unique perspective into the mind of someone who commits this crime.  It is a commonly held belief that many of these idiots commit the act for some kind of twisted idea of fame, or place in a horrific history of these crimes.  Rodgers did not express that in anything I have read or seen.  His only thought was "revenge" at his perceived slights by women and his jealousy toward other men.  That's interesting to me.  I have first hand experience with a mass killer.  It was someone I had dealt with for years and knew well.  When he snapped, his motive was revenge (he killed 7 of my co-workers in the city where I work) for perceived slights in the handing out of minority contracts.  He had also felt that way for a number of years, like Rodgers.

Maybe the idea that these types of crimes are self perpetuating is wrong.  Maybe we need to start looking at people with years of "feeling wronged" in order to minimize the chance of this happening.  Or maybe there is no way to lessen these acts?

Thoughts?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-27 4:25 PM

2014-05-27 4:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: California shooting......
Damn. I'm really sorry to hear about your personal experience with a killer. When you found out, what was your reaction, having known the guy for so long?
2014-05-27 4:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trijamie Damn. I'm really sorry to hear about your personal experience with a killer. When you found out, what was your reaction, having known the guy for so long?

I had left work about 10 minutes prior to it happening.  I got the call on my way home and raced back.  It ended very quickly.....one of the victims was a Police officer who encountered the killer on his way into the City Hall.  The officer, miraculously , heroically, was able to push his emergency button in the moments during which he was killed.  Officers were responding to that area when people began running out of City Hall.  Responding officers killed the suspect within one minute of the first shot being fired....7 people were already dead.

I can tell you, when I got the call that there had been a shooting at our city hall I actually asked if it was XXXXX......  Nobody knew, but when I got there 10 minutes later we did.  It was.  As I have looked back, I have often wondered how I missed the signs.  It's haunting.  But I have been able to let it go by rationalizing that there is NO WAY you can figure someone will do that.  Almost nobody does, despite the fact that we see it in the news all the time.  Still, I got there before the bodies were moved, and the images of my co-workers lying murdered is burned into my brain.....and I knew who did it before I got there.

I have seen quite a bit of death......hundreds and hundreds.  My advice to people who went through that experience, who have not seen as much as me, has always been, "move on, don't try to figure it out, you can't." 

With the publication of Rodger's motive, I have began to question that (a small bit).....maybe we can figure it out.  Maybe we should try to identify people who have lasting issues with any certain entity.  Surely Rodger's therapist knew of his feeling of being slighted by women.  I surely knew of XXXXX's hatred for the people who he perceived as slighting him.  I think it may be at least SOME way forward as we look to minimize these mass killings. 

Just thinking out loud really.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-27 5:15 PM
2014-05-27 5:24 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Lots of thoughts.  But one that struck me first and still lingers...

I have seen tons and tons of pictures of the perpetrator.  Seen his videos, his face on the internet.  All of this all without trying to even look for it - it's just pushed in front of my face.

But I can't recall seeing pictures of ANY of the victims.  I guess the media likes to show the face of evil, and I guess it's the news.  The killer is who did the wrong thing and will be remembered.  Everyone killed did nothing but be in the wrong place and the wrong time.  No one will remember them, but everyone will recognize the murderer.  Sad, but I guess that's the way the world works.

Again, I don't think there will ever be a "reason" that makes most peoples say "oh, I get it".  It's just called being unstable/crazy.  We like to look for some kind of reason that will make us understand, but I can't really think of anything that would make get it.  Obviously there could be a trigger, but at the core is just be nutso/sadistic. 

2014-05-27 5:28 PM

New user
After reading the transcripts of his vids, the kid is an example, granted an extreme one of what our culture has become. Its all about ME. He was a self centered brat who couldn't see past the end of his nose and felt entitled to whatever he wanted. Life wasn't fair, so he was going to make those he believed were the cause pay. Its sad,sick and twisted all at the same time. LB, killings and mass killings will continue until people stop thinking they are the center of the universe and begin serving and caring for others.
2014-05-27 5:44 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

Kido and NXS - my issue is.....can we identify these people?  It appears to me that these acts are YEARS in the making, not a spur of the moment decision.  IF that's the case, and I surely am not trying to imply that I have this figured out......but IF that's the case, and from the two examples I gave it obviously is, how do we proceed? 

One of the problems with these incidents is there is nobody to interview.....almost always the idiot kills themselves or is killed by the Police or some other intervention.  This is a window into at least two of the killer's mindsets.  Can we identify these people before the act?  Should we try?  Is this an opportunity to set up a profile for what could lead to these acts?  If so, how do we make it a part of the problem solving?

I don't disagree with anything either of you wrote, BTW, just looking forward to the next one.

2014-05-27 5:58 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Well Elliot was seeing multiple therapists, so it's not like he wasn't getting mental health treatment. None of the therapists were able to see that he was capable of doing what he did. I can understand how it would be incredibly difficult, even for a professional, to really spot a true killer because of their ability to get it together and put on a normal face when confronted by officials. It's just so scary to think that even MULTIPLE therapists couldn't prevent this.
2014-05-27 6:03 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trijamie Well Elliot was seeing multiple therapists, so it's not like he wasn't getting mental health treatment. None of the therapists were able to see that he was capable of doing what he did. I can understand how it would be incredibly difficult, even for a professional, to really spot a true killer because of their ability to get it together and put oyn a normal face when confronted by officials. It's just so scary to think that even MULTIPLE therapists couldn't prevent this.

That's the deal.  Should we not worry about whether we think they are capable.......I think in almost every case we would say, "no, they are not capable of THAT", because we can't fathom it....but surely some are.  Do we error on the side of caution and commit these people with longstanding grievances to be evaluated by experts in THIS field?  If not, why.  If so, how?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-27 6:05 PM
2014-05-27 6:07 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by trijamie Well Elliot was seeing multiple therapists, so it's not like he wasn't getting mental health treatment. None of the therapists were able to see that he was capable of doing what he did. I can understand how it would be incredibly difficult, even for a professional, to really spot a true killer because of their ability to get it together and put oyn a normal face when confronted by officials. It's just so scary to think that even MULTIPLE therapists couldn't prevent this.

That's the deal.  Should we not worry about whether we think they are capable.......I think in almost every case we would say, "no, they are not capable of THAT", because we can't fathom it....but surely some are.  Do we error on the side of caution and commit these people with longstanding grievances to be evaluated by experts in THIS field?  If not, why.  If so, how?

I think it would be great to error on the side of caution, but I'm sure it's a public funding thing too. If there isn't enough room in pychiatric hospitals to take in all these people involuntarily, what's the state going to do with them? I mean if you identify these people, they need to be treated. That treatment has to be quickly and easily available. There can't be strict guidelines that prevent people from being admitted to psychiatric treatment centers
2014-05-27 6:14 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I don't think you can.  I have a friend take their own life recently.  No one understands why.  Can you look back and see the "signs"?  Maybe.  Things always seem more transparent when looking back.  But people appear to have it worse and don't take their own lives.  Some that have it better, do.  I just don't think the signs are that obvious or tell the tale.  There is something deep in someone's head that makes them do these kinds of things.  I'm not saying we should just give up and not TRY to identify them.  I would just be surprised it can be done.  My only hope (and it could be science fiction), is there really is a genetic identifier for someone who could do mass murder.

AT THE MOMENT, you might think this person (the killer) needs some help or is a little off but is it obvious they are going on a killing spree?  Probably not.  Maybe if they happen to be the only ones that felt that way and it could be a direct correlation...  But I'm sure there are 10's of thousands of people that feel the same way that DON'T go on shooting sprees.

The fact is, killing sprees are rare.  And yes, they are rare, even if people don't think so, tells me it's still just crazy being crazy and there is no true identifier (unless it's SO small, like genetic as mentioned above).  I'm sure there are countless people that feel the same way, maybe even worse, but they either get help, take their own lives, drink/drug themselves to numbness, etc.  Can you identify the thing that makes them want to get guns and kill others?  I doubt it.

It also has to come down to people observing it AND doing something about it.

ALSO, what do you do if people are doing/saying what he did?  Commit them?  Round them up before they did anything?  I simply don't think it's clear cut like that.

Also, to keep it in one post.  I don't subscribe to the "it was so much better back in the day" kind of guy.  That society NOW has an entitled "look at me" attitude causing this kind of stuff.  People have always been driven by ego, always will.  I don't think people are any more self absorbed now than in the past.  The human animal doesn't change that much.  Society and social media did not create the "look at me" attitude, it simple provided a tool for the "look at me" attitude people have to be expressed.  People have gone on killing sprees in the past before all this social media.  In fact, they did it because they felt they are not noticed by ANYONE.  They felt small and insignificant - not like they were the center of the univers.  You think this is the first kid that got angry girls snubbed him?  That it's a society/social media/entitlement created thing?  No way.  This is one in a million kid that got angry he got snubbed by girls that snapped.  I HOPE we could find that one in a million identifier - elaborate/advance psychological screening?  Brain scans? 

2014-05-27 6:22 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I like that you are offering up topics for discussion, but surely you wouldn't advocate rounding up people that have done nothing to anyone other than hold a grudge?  It would be a sad day we round people up for what they COULD do, rather than what they ACTUALLY do.  I would keep that freedom even if it means we let a 1 in 313 million per year chance someone goes on a killing spree.*

*Assuming 1 mass killing a year, by one perpetrator, in a country of  313 million people.

I know it seems like mass killings are an epidemic or on the rise and happen all the time.  But those are the odds we are REALLY talking about.

Besides, think of all the wrongful arrest/detaining/committing lawsuits that could arise.  What would it take?  Just a neighbor saying "That kid over there looks like  he's up to no good?"

Edited by Kido 2014-05-27 6:24 PM

2014-05-27 6:46 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

I like that you are offering up topics for discussion, but surely you wouldn't advocate rounding up people that have done nothing to anyone other than hold a grudge?  It would be a sad day we round people up for what they COULD do, rather than what they ACTUALLY do.  I would keep that freedom even if it means we let a 1 in 313 million per year chance someone goes on a killing spree.*

*Assuming 1 mass killing a year, by one perpetrator, in a country of  313 million people.

I know it seems like mass killings are an epidemic or on the rise and happen all the time.  But those are the odds we are REALLY talking about.

Besides, think of all the wrongful arrest/detaining/committing lawsuits that could arise.  What would it take?  Just a neighbor saying "That kid over there looks like  he's up to no good?"

Well, I don't know.  I know in the case I am intimately familiar with the person had within days of his "rampage" been denied his final appeal in civil litigation..  I would have liked to have known that.

The "system", as it is set up now, is woefully inadequate to handle these types of people.  There is NO interface between the Police (the ones called to deal with these people, as in the case of Rodgers, which they missed), the civil courts, who have almost NO interface with the police or doctors, and the doctors, who are prohibited from disclosing ANYTHING to anyone due to HIPPA.  It's a perfect storm for letting these folks slip through the cracks and we can do much better as a society. 

One of the things I see repeatedly is us singing affidavits because we have credible information that someone is a danger to themselves or others....that affidavit gets someone committed for a 96 hour evaluation.  It almost NEVER goes 96 hours....it's usually 48 hours or less, the person is prescribed MEDICATION, and released.  There is not even an attempt at seeing what the root of the problem might be.....just medicate and move on.  It's insane.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-27 6:47 PM
2014-05-27 6:58 PM

User image

not quite as closely related to an incident as you LB, but I knew many people injured and one who was killed in the Virginia Tech shootings a few years ago. With that perpetrator there was also people who said he wasn't right; professors who had brought up issues after having him in an English class and many other multiple issues - but those warnings, concerns went unheeded until 32 people died and then it was, oh yeah, him, there was something wrong about him...

but I don't know how to address the issue - you are right about needing to find/or attempt to find the root cause without resorting to medication, but with the continued stigma of mental health and mental health treatment then i fear it will continue
2014-05-27 7:12 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by austhokie not quite as closely related to an incident as you LB, but I knew many people injured and one who was killed in the Virginia Tech shootings a few years ago. With that perpetrator there was also people who said he wasn't right; professors who had brought up issues after having him in an English class and many other multiple issues - but those warnings, concerns went unheeded until 32 people died and then it was, oh yeah, him, there was something wrong about him... but I don't know how to address the issue - you are right about needing to find/or attempt to find the root cause without resorting to medication, but with the continued stigma of mental health and mental health treatment then i fear it will continue

I'm sorry for the people you knew who were killed, that sucks. 

Your point is a good one, and it fits.  In most of these cases there are people who say, "yeah, him, no kidding".  We can already rule out women....they are apparently not that stupid.  So how do we keep whittling away at this until we can make some identifications based on articulable facts?  It CAN be done, we can absolutely prevent some of this.

2014-05-28 6:54 AM

New user

Kido and NXS - my issue is.....can we identify these people?  It appears to me that these acts are YEARS in the making, not a spur of the moment decision.  IF that's the case, and I surely am not trying to imply that I have this figured out......but IF that's the case, and from the two examples I gave it obviously is, how do we proceed? 

One of the problems with these incidents is there is nobody to interview.....almost always the idiot kills themselves or is killed by the Police or some other intervention.  This is a window into at least two of the killer's mindsets.  Can we identify these people before the act?  Should we try?  Is this an opportunity to set up a profile for what could lead to these acts?  If so, how do we make it a part of the problem solving?

I don't disagree with anything either of you wrote, BTW, just looking forward to the next one.

Let me say up front I have problems with "can we identify". Not just in the case of murderers, but in just about anything, because it can lead to abuse and loss of individual freedoms. People see therapists all the time and I wouldn't want their privacy trampled for a maybe. I don't have the answers, I just don't want personal liberties, for anyone eroded on a maybe.

On a side note, in one of the transcripts of a video, it seemed as if video games were the world that he could fit into. Could his view of women as objects to be used have been nurtured by the games where people (characters) are just objects on a screen? How about how his father's photography that seems to portray women as merely objects? I don't know just throwing it out there.
2014-05-28 8:12 AM

User image

Originally posted by austhokie not quite as closely related to an incident as you LB, but I knew many people injured and one who was killed in the Virginia Tech shootings a few years ago. With that perpetrator there was also people who said he wasn't right; professors who had brought up issues after having him in an English class and many other multiple issues - but those warnings, concerns went unheeded until 32 people died and then it was, oh yeah, him, there was something wrong about him... but I don't know how to address the issue - you are right about needing to find/or attempt to find the root cause without resorting to medication, but with the continued stigma of mental health and mental health treatment then i fear it will continue

Your point is a good one, and it fits.  In most of these cases there are people who say, "yeah, him, no kidding".  We can already rule out women....they are apparently not that stupid.  So how do we keep whittling away at this until we can make some identifications based on articulable facts?  It CAN be done, we can absolutely prevent some of this.

is it that women aren't that stupid, or that they are willing to seek help/talk to people when they feel something isn't right? maybe that is part of the crux, the idea that men need to be strong/can't divulge feelings/issues without appearing weak? how do you combat the socitial stigma of being a "weak man" or "girlie boy" (etc)

2014-05-28 8:36 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by austhokie

is it that women aren't that stupid, or that they are willing to seek help/talk to people when they feel something isn't right? maybe that is part of the crux, the idea that men need to be strong/can't divulge feelings/issues without appearing weak? how do you combat the socitial stigma of being a "weak man" or "girlie boy" (etc)

93% of murders are conducted by men, not women. Whats the difference? MRI scans reveal that because of the physical differences between female and male brains, men have a portion of their brains that are more sensitive to threats. Men also have a smaller orbital frontal region, and so men have less ability to inhibit the response to attack when confronted by a threat. Women are more capable of controlling those aggressive urges
2014-05-28 8:45 AM

User image

[ We can already rule out women....they are apparently not that stupid. 

Not entirely and increasingly less so. For instance:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2064147/North-Carolina-shoo...
Police investigating a murderous rampage by a jilted lover who shot her former boyfriend and five other people sensationally revealed chilling details last night of the 911 call made by his wife.

Jennifer Lamb, whose husband Randall Lamb, 40, was blasted in the shoulder by Mary Ann Holder after he ended their tryst, admitted to emergency operators that her spouse had been having an affair.

Mostly I'm just reading but one of the things I've found is people discount mass murderer, spree killer and serial killer females. They're not as rare as people want to believe, they just don't tend to use firearms and don't tend to get the 24/7 press because of that.
2014-05-28 9:01 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trijamie
Originally posted by austhokie

93% of murders are conducted by men, not women. Whats the difference? MRI scans reveal that because of the physical differences between female and male brains, men have a portion of their brains that are more sensitive to threats. Men also have a smaller orbital frontal region, and so men have less ability to inhibit the response to attack when confronted by a threat. Women are more capable of controlling those aggressive urges

But these incidents usually don't contain a "threat " of any kind.  I have no problem attacking someone who is trying to hurt me, and I don't have a problem with anyone else doing the same. 

NXS - we already "identify" people who we can articulate a reason why we think they are a threat to themselves or others.  Part of the problem, from my way of thinking, is that the system is completely broke on the other end.  It's medicate and move them out.....almost nobody gets any real evaluation or treatment.

2014-05-28 9:06 AM

User image

NXS - we already "identify" people who we can articulate a reason why we think they are a threat to themselves or others.  Part of the problem, from my way of thinking, is that the system is completely broke on the other end.  It's medicate and move them out.....almost nobody gets any real evaluation or treatment.

One issue you're going to start getting into is if/when they make it easier to involuntarily commit people, quite a few of the very people you are looking to segregate will never seek any assistance that would put them in a position to get evaluated.

No, I don't have answers, I just know some of the places that have tried some really good "It briefed well" programs that ended up hurting more than they helped.

2014-05-28 9:28 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG

One issue you're going to start getting into is if/when they make it easier to involuntarily commit people, quite a few of the very people you are looking to segregate will never seek any assistance that would put them in a position to get evaluated. No, I don't have answers, I just know some of the places that have tried some really good "It briefed well" programs that ended up hurting more than they helped.

I'[m not talking about making it easier to involuntarily commit people.....that actually works pretty well.  It's what happens once we get them into the hospital that bothers me.  It's not a stretch to say NOTHING happens.  Make a half-arsed diagnosis, get them some medication, and clear the bed for the next person.

2014-05-28 10:03 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I think there are several issues with all this.  The fact remains that most people even if they have feelings of wanting to do harm, choose not to.  They know the difference between right and wrong.  Then there are those few that go the extra mile and commit these awful acts.  The difference between those in the first group and the second are so small that they probably are undetectable.  

My personal feeling is that there are people that need to be institutionalized.  But we no longer have that option.  There are also people that should be "forced" into counseling, but again that doesn't exist.  I know that at the elementary school my daughter used to go to, the administration had such a hard time getting permission to have children looked at/ assessed, that they started putting them in GT (Gifted and Talented) so that they could have people work/talk with them.  Result was that you had a really screwed up group of kids in GT.

2014-05-28 10:08 AM

User image

I'm not talking about making it easier to involuntarily commit people.....that actually works pretty well.  It's what happens once we get them into the hospital that bothers me.  It's not a stretch to say NOTHING happens.  Make a half-arsed diagnosis, get them some medication, and clear the bed for the next person.

Yup. Started in the '80s when they started shutting down the States' mental hospitals.

Ahhh, here's a paper on it:
http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html

2014-05-28 10:36 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro

Originally posted by velocomp

I think there are several issues with all this.  The fact remains that most people even if they have feelings of wanting to do harm, choose not to.  They know the difference between right and wrong.  Then there are those few that go the extra mile and commit these awful acts.  The difference between those in the first group and the second are so small that they probably are undetectable.  

I agree wiht your first part......but I think the difference between the two groups is bigger than you think it is.  And, it is staritng to look like many of these people have very long standing issues with some group that they perceive as having done them wrong.  The majority of these types of incidents are not "spur of the moment" decisions like many murders.  This is a long held hatred, or perceived injustice.....that seems to be a common denominator.  As such, you can start with looking into how long the issue has simmered.  of course, it's just one component, or commonality, with these incidents.....there are surely others to be looked at.

2014-05-28 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

You're talking about "profiling", which, to be honest, I'm kind of ok with to a degree. I know that there are all kinds of issues around civil liberties and those aren't to be entirely discounted, but "profiling" when it's done by trained professionals who can analyze real behavioral data and make educated predictions about potential risky behavior is probably more effective and less invasive that the kind of approach we're using now, which is to say, treating everyone like they're exactly the same, even though they're clearly not.

But...I think you also have to address the elephant in the room, as well, which is, of course, guns. Preventing mass shootings is a complicated endeavor, and I don't think it's possible to have a realistic discussion about it without at least broaching the subject. I agree with you 100% that you have to address the individual first, and foremost, and that simply restricting guns nationwide will have little to no effect, but, to the extent that we're talking about targeting specific individuals through improved psychiatric protocols, better cooperation between doctors/social workers/police, etc, I think it's also worth discussing how we limit such people's access to their constitutionally protected right to bear arms.

Does part of getting these people whom we've identified as being potentially harmful to themselves and others the help they need, also include preventing them from getting guns? What about taking away the guns they already have? What about if those guns technically belong to someone else, but the individual in question may have access to them? The Newtown killer famously took his mother's legally-owned guns, killed her, and then carried out his mass murder. If, hypothetically, we could develop mental health protocols that would have identified him as potentially harmful to others, would you be ok with taking away his mother's guns in order to prevent his access to them?
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » California shooting...... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 5350 Posts: 73

2014-01-02 12:12 PM jmk-brooklyn

The wife of an armed robbery suspect shot dead by a shop clerk sues clerk

Started by DanielG
Views: 860 Posts: 2

2013-05-30 10:00 AM RockTractor

Wisconsin bill would eliminate workplace flu-shot requirement Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 4365 Posts: 50

2013-05-21 8:40 PM bootygirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.
date : June 14, 2005
author : docgill
comments : 10
One year ago I was 90 pounds heavier and dreaming of being able to walk without a wobble. I never considered doing a triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : bostic
One of the most important pals a triathlete can have is the gel pack.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.