2014-06-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

New user
Subject: RE: California shooting......
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

If someone is as intent on killing as this guy was, just removing guns from the home is not the answer.

I see. Maybe the answer is to give the violent mentally ill people even more guns so they won't be able to decide which one to use on their killing spree and they'll just sit in their homes debating endlessly, rather than going out and murdering people. "The AR-15? No, too cliche. The shotgun? Mmm...nah... not enough capacity...Sigh. I'm tired and my head hurts now. I'll go kill people tomorrow."

Seriously, I have to say that I find your and others' pov on the subject a little baffling. Gun proponents say, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", and that "restricting or limiting gun ownership across the board is no answer to curbing gun violence",and that "the only way to effectively curb gun violence is by improving the mental health structure in the US". But when you say, "Agreed--let's identify who the potentially violent mentally ill people are, and let's just take away their[/] guns", a lot of gun proponents aren't on board with that either. Because, "there's too much potential for abuse" or "mentally ill people will find a way to kill people no matter what" or "it's not fair to strip the 2A rights of someone just because their son or husband might use their legal guns to murder people".

So, does it come down to that you're willing tolerate that there will be a certain number of mass murders every year, but that they are a necessary price to pay for the freedom that the 2A affords? Because that's what it sort of sounds like you're saying if you're not even ok with taking guns away from people who we identify as being mentally ill and dangerous.

Let me say this, if someone is a danger to himself or some one else, they don't need to be loose in society. Therein is the problem, since no one can say absolutely that someone will behave a certain way. It is just based on someone's professional opinion. As mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes mental health professionals get it wrong. So what do we do? I am sure there are/will be abuses with this process.
As far as the second amendment, it is a right, not an option or privilege. I think we need to careful, very careful when we talk about taking away a person's constitutional rights, no matter which one it may be. Personally I would rather err on the side of liberty and freedom, than live where the gov. tells us what we can have. Unfortunately there will always be people who will abuse freedom and cause harm to others in many ways including murder. As callous as this may sound, it is just one of the costs of living in a free society, one that I do not care for, but accept.

Meh, your first paragraph makes kind of a weak argument. Our judicial system isn't built on absolute certainty, since absolute certainly is nearly impossible to acertain, rather it's built upon the standard of "reasonable doubt". If there are generally-agreed-upon protocols whereby mental health professionals can determine with a high degree of accuracy that certain people pose a danger to themeselves or others, I'm ok with depriving those people of the means to do harm until it can be determined that the threat no longer exists. Will they be wrong sometime? Yeah, probably, and that's unfortunate, but if they can be right an overwhelming majority of the time, I'm ok with there being a few outliers. We're perfectly comfortable in this country with capital punishment, even though the judicial system doesn't get it right 100% of the time either, so there's no reason why we need to apply a 100% standard of perfection to mental health assessments.

Regarding your second point, even today, there are circumstances in which one's 2A rights can be taken away, no? I'm not even necessarily saying that a person who is identified as having a violent mental illness needs to have their guns taken away permanently. Once they're determined to no longer be a threat, they can have their guns back. Their right to bear arms shouldn't infringe on other peoples' right to not be murdered. The 2A is a pillar of our Constitution, but I think there's a segment of the population who have convinced themselves that the 2A supercedes all other constitutional rights, and nowhere in the Constitution does it say that.

In both cases, my point is when you start talking about taking away an individual's rights we need to be very careful because when they are gone there will be no getting them back.

2014-06-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I knew a few people who were so bullied they talked about doing a few crazy things. No one ever did anything and now its a none issue. I think for some its just a way of feeling like maybe they can control something. They can fight back somehow.

For everyone who ever had a time in there lives that felt that way how many actually do something? 1 in 10? 1 in 20? 1 in 100? 1 in 10,000? If its 1 in 10 it might be worth it. If its 1 in 20 we are potentially doing more harm than good. Plus if someone really is going through a bad time being able to talk to someone about it might be enough to calm them down. The quite ones do not have that.
2014-06-02 4:09 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

If someone is as intent on killing as this guy was, just removing guns from the home is not the answer.

I see. Maybe the answer is to give the violent mentally ill people even more guns so they won't be able to decide which one to use on their killing spree and they'll just sit in their homes debating endlessly, rather than going out and murdering people. "The AR-15? No, too cliche. The shotgun? Mmm...nah... not enough capacity...Sigh. I'm tired and my head hurts now. I'll go kill people tomorrow."

Seriously, I have to say that I find your and others' pov on the subject a little baffling. Gun proponents say, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", and that "restricting or limiting gun ownership across the board is no answer to curbing gun violence",and that "the only way to effectively curb gun violence is by improving the mental health structure in the US". But when you say, "Agreed--let's identify who the potentially violent mentally ill people are, and let's just take away their[/] guns", a lot of gun proponents aren't on board with that either. Because, "there's too much potential for abuse" or "mentally ill people will find a way to kill people no matter what" or "it's not fair to strip the 2A rights of someone just because their son or husband might use their legal guns to murder people".

So, does it come down to that you're willing tolerate that there will be a certain number of mass murders every year, but that they are a necessary price to pay for the freedom that the 2A affords? Because that's what it sort of sounds like you're saying if you're not even ok with taking guns away from people who we identify as being mentally ill and dangerous.

Let me say this, if someone is a danger to himself or some one else, they don't need to be loose in society. Therein is the problem, since no one can say absolutely that someone will behave a certain way. It is just based on someone's professional opinion. As mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes mental health professionals get it wrong. So what do we do? I am sure there are/will be abuses with this process.
As far as the second amendment, it is a right, not an option or privilege. I think we need to careful, very careful when we talk about taking away a person's constitutional rights, no matter which one it may be. Personally I would rather err on the side of liberty and freedom, than live where the gov. tells us what we can have. Unfortunately there will always be people who will abuse freedom and cause harm to others in many ways including murder. As callous as this may sound, it is just one of the costs of living in a free society, one that I do not care for, but accept.

Meh, your first paragraph makes kind of a weak argument. Our judicial system isn't built on absolute certainty, since absolute certainly is nearly impossible to acertain, rather it's built upon the standard of "reasonable doubt". If there are generally-agreed-upon protocols whereby mental health professionals can determine with a high degree of accuracy that certain people pose a danger to themeselves or others, I'm ok with depriving those people of the means to do harm until it can be determined that the threat no longer exists. Will they be wrong sometime? Yeah, probably, and that's unfortunate, but if they can be right an overwhelming majority of the time, I'm ok with there being a few outliers. We're perfectly comfortable in this country with capital punishment, even though the judicial system doesn't get it right 100% of the time either, so there's no reason why we need to apply a 100% standard of perfection to mental health assessments.

Regarding your second point, even today, there are circumstances in which one's 2A rights can be taken away, no? I'm not even necessarily saying that a person who is identified as having a violent mental illness needs to have their guns taken away permanently. Once they're determined to no longer be a threat, they can have their guns back. Their right to bear arms shouldn't infringe on other peoples' right to not be murdered. The 2A is a pillar of our Constitution, but I think there's a segment of the population who have convinced themselves that the 2A supercedes all other constitutional rights, and nowhere in the Constitution does it say that.

In both cases, my point is when you start talking about taking away an individual's rights we need to be very careful because when they are gone there will be no getting them back.

Great-- let's be very careful, then. Let's do what the NRA is always saying we should do, and devote effort and resources to improve the mental health system. Let's develop comprehensive protocols to identify potentially violent individuals before they act on their impulses. And, should any of those individuals whom we've identified as potentially dangerous to others posess firearms, even if those firearms were legally obtained or belong to someone else in the home (e.g. Sandy Hook), let's remove those weapons until such time as those same comprehensive protocols determine that this person is no longer a danger to others.

That's all I'm saying. But, when I say that, what I get from the pro-gun side is, "not so fast".
2014-06-02 7:13 PM
in reply to: powerman

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

Originally posted by powerman

Well to just jump in... I had a coworker that went through a very nasty divorce. I won't go into detail, but this guy was OUT THERE. I was absolutely dumbfounded how he still had a job. I am not one for sensational thinking.... but I regularly though when we make national news for a shooting spree... that the entire country would look at us like we were the biggest idiots around. The signs were everywhere... it was crazy. But the guy never did anything... well yet.  Because we just don't know right? He saw conspiracies every where of how his wife was out to get him, and management was involved, and the cops, and the phone company.... He would joke all the time about how his therapist says he is a ticking time bomb... and he would end a lot of discussions with.... and then there was a gun.... 

Seriously... the law and doctors were involved, and you would just take a glancing look and say my God, this guy needs to be locked up... but he didn't do anything... well yet. Things seems to have settled down... and maybe it is the "quiet ones" you really need to worry about. this guy talked about it all the time.... but we don't know do we? Because the guy didn't commit a crime to be locked up for. And if things go the way they are, he should not be locked up, because he didn't do anything bad. So what do you do?

I don't mean to hold this guy up as a DB, but it's the conversation we are having. If there was ever a workplace shooting here there would be a name that would come immediately to mind. And then everyone would look and say... just how much evidence did you need... yet, he is a law abiding citizen and has not cause anymore problems. So how many do you lock up because you think they "might" do something bad, and how many bad things will you ACTUALLY prevent by doing so?

Powerman, this sure illustrates the problem.  The police must hear of many people that seem right on the edge and ethically/legally they can't do anything. As the situation is these individuals must pull the trigger or knife a bunch of folks before anything can be done.

As a side note what is DB?

2014-06-02 7:26 PM
in reply to: annie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by annie

Well to just jump in... I had a coworker that went through a very nasty divorce. I won't go into detail, but this guy was OUT THERE. I was absolutely dumbfounded how he still had a job. I am not one for sensational thinking.... but I regularly though when we make national news for a shooting spree... that the entire country would look at us like we were the biggest idiots around. The signs were everywhere... it was crazy. But the guy never did anything... well yet.  Because we just don't know right? He saw conspiracies every where of how his wife was out to get him, and management was involved, and the cops, and the phone company.... He would joke all the time about how his therapist says he is a ticking time bomb... and he would end a lot of discussions with.... and then there was a gun.... 

Seriously... the law and doctors were involved, and you would just take a glancing look and say my God, this guy needs to be locked up... but he didn't do anything... well yet. Things seems to have settled down... and maybe it is the "quiet ones" you really need to worry about. this guy talked about it all the time.... but we don't know do we? Because the guy didn't commit a crime to be locked up for. And if things go the way they are, he should not be locked up, because he didn't do anything bad. So what do you do?

I don't mean to hold this guy up as a DB, but it's the conversation we are having. If there was ever a workplace shooting here there would be a name that would come immediately to mind. And then everyone would look and say... just how much evidence did you need... yet, he is a law abiding citizen and has not cause anymore problems. So how many do you lock up because you think they "might" do something bad, and how many bad things will you ACTUALLY prevent by doing so?

Powerman, this sure illustrates the problem.  The police must hear of many people that seem right on the edge and ethically/legally they can't do anything. As the situation is these individuals must pull the trigger or knife a bunch of folks before anything can be done.

That's not true.  The Police can do plenty, and we do every day.  We involuntarily commit people daily....and they are released the next day.  If we can find a reason to arrest them for peace disturbance, disorderly conduct, etc., we do that too....and they are released almost immediately.  We take guns all the time, sometimes at a families request for "safekeeping", sometimes because we can articulate a threat to someone, sometimes during drug search warrants, blah,blah,blah......we melt hundreds....no, thousands.

This I know.....there are too many guns to ever say we can get rid of them.....besides, I don't know anyone who wants to, at least not in my circle of friends., and I surely don't.  Who the hell wants to live in a place where only the Police have guns. (take it from an insider, you don't)

I can do my job......but from there the system is a mess.  There really is no avenue to keep crazy people locked up.....and at this point, probably even more important.....there is no where to put them. 

We don't just hear about people who are on the edge, we deal with them every day.  In fact, it's become one of our main jobs. (not what I signed up for, but it fits what we do so we do it)

The only thing I know to do is take people seriously when they make threats.....just believe them.  Once you do that, the rest is easy.  It gets muddy when we try to figure out who is serious and who isn't.....THAT is not my job, and apparently nobody can figure that one out.  It's not easy.....I wouldn't want to do it.

2014-06-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

That's not true.  The Police can do plenty, and we do every day.  We involuntarily commit people daily....and they are released the next day.  If we can find a reason to arrest them for peace disturbance, disorderly conduct, etc., we do that too....and they are released almost immediately.  We take guns all the time, sometimes at a families request for "safekeeping", sometimes because we can articulate a threat to someone, sometimes during drug search warrants, blah,blah,blah......we melt hundreds....no, thousands.

This I know.....there are too many guns to ever say we can get rid of them.....besides, I don't know anyone who wants to, at least not in my circle of friends., and I surely don't.  Who the hell wants to live in a place where only the Police have guns. (take it from an insider, you don't)

I can do my job......but from there the system is a mess.  There really is no avenue to keep crazy people locked up.....and at this point, probably even more important.....there is no where to put them. 

We don't just hear about people who are on the edge, we deal with them every day.  In fact, it's become one of our main jobs. (not what I signed up for, but it fits what we do so we do it)

The only thing I know to do is take people seriously when they make threats.....just believe them.  Once you do that, the rest is easy.  It gets muddy when we try to figure out who is serious and who isn't.....THAT is not my job, and apparently nobody can figure that one out.  It's not easy.....I wouldn't want to do it.

Well when you say it like that... then sure. People are not loosing their liberty for no reason... they are loosing it for making threats. Don't make threats. Seems simple.

2014-06-02 9:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Well when you say it like that... then sure. People are not loosing their liberty for no reason... they are loosing it for making threats. Don't make threats. Seems simple.

You know PM, maybe it really is that simple, I don't know. 

I hear all the time something along the line of, "well, you know, people mouth off and they don't REALLY mean they are going to kill someone, they are just frustrated."   Here's a news flash.....I get frustrated like every other human being, but I don't threaten people.  I don't say I'd like to kill people...and neither do almost all of us.  If you are a person that does that.....go to jail, or an asylum, and lose your guns....you deserve it because you're too stupid to have a gun, and you may be too stupid to walk among the rest of us.   Just because we can't figure out who is stupid and who is crazy is no reason for us to live with one or the other shooting people for no reason.  I know I don't care what happens to you.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-02 9:49 PM
2014-06-03 12:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Left brain if you went around locking up everyone for being to stupid where would we get our politicians from???
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » California shooting...... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 5350 Posts: 73

2014-01-02 12:12 PM jmk-brooklyn

The wife of an armed robbery suspect shot dead by a shop clerk sues clerk

Started by DanielG
Views: 860 Posts: 2

2013-05-30 10:00 AM RockTractor

Wisconsin bill would eliminate workplace flu-shot requirement Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 4365 Posts: 50

2013-05-21 8:40 PM bootygirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.
date : June 14, 2005
author : docgill
comments : 10
One year ago I was 90 pounds heavier and dreaming of being able to walk without a wobble. I never considered doing a triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : bostic
One of the most important pals a triathlete can have is the gel pack.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.