United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 34s
Overall Rank = 17431/24705
Age Group = F47
Age Group Rank = 295/396
Pre-race routine:

Monday morning DS2 and I woke at 5:00 and grabbed our bagels and a bottle of Skratch and headed out the door. We stopped at Sbux, of course, on the way to the bus. DH dropped us off at the bus and we climbed aboard for the hour ride to Boulder. Our wave wasn't set to start until 8:3X but we, mistakenly, thought the pros went early and wanted to see them start.

So we arrived in Boulder as the first wave was starting. We hit the port-a-loo then found a place on a corner where we proceeded to watch the people starting in all of the waves before us. We were in MJ so we watched from AA on. It was fun to see the costumes and just people watch in general. The announcer normally makes a big deal when the M wave comes by because it is the military wave. It is full of active and former military. Many of the active run in formation. Pretty cool to see. I was dissappointed that the announcer didn't say anything about them this year but did play the Mickey Mouse theme when the MM wave started. Now we should have been gone before the MM wave got to our people watching corner... but SIL messaged that she overslept and was running late. So we continued to wait until about 9:00 when SIL arrived and we jumped in to a wave.
Event warmup:

Lots of standing around. I knew our pace would be slow so a warm up really wasn't needed.
Run
  • 1h 34m 34s
  • 10 kms
  • 09m 28s  min/km
Comments:

What an amazing day. The BolderBoulder must be experienced. The atmosphere is almost beyond description. DH calls it a party with a race thrown in. That's a pretty good description. The city of Boulder really rallies around this race and the course is lined by volunteers and spectators. Along the course there are several bands scheduled to play but there are probably an equal number of garage bands playing in front yards along the way. Other people stand in their yards with hoses, spraying the runners, while others feed the running masses anything from cupcakes to tater tots (more on that later). This race is so. much. fun.

SIL did much better this year than the last two. We walked less. We partook in the sprinkers/hoses along the way and DS2 even took the time to enjoy the slip n' slides.

We were probably at about Mile 3 when we passed a man who was yelling, and then throwing, tater tots. Well he tossed one right at me. Now I had a decision to make. I could be "that person" and let it drop or toss it away, or I could enjoy the atmosphere and the spontinaity and eat the tater tot. So I caught it and popped it in my mouth, which both surprised and humored DS2. I don't think he thought his ultra conservative mother was capable of taking food from a stranger amidst this party atmosphere. Of course, we discussed the fact that if I start to act odd in the next quarter mile or so then DS2, a pre-med major, and SIL, an RN, should take evasive action and save me. :)

As we approched the finish SIL spoke of her dread for the last hill. I continued to encourage her and wouldn't "let" her walk. I kept her going until the crowd slowed us, *&^% crowd! Then we entered the stadium and made our grand finishers lap!
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. We had an amazing time!!!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line the runners proceed to be herded for quite a walk through the chip drop off then through to get snack bags and beer. We grabbed our snack bags, and beer (ok it was Mic Ultra so it wasn't really beer) then sat in the stands and watched the runners behind us finish.

After a while we went out and walked through the expo, which didn't seem as good this year, and hustled back in when we expected the pros to be coming in. As we found some seats near the finsh we watched the course sweepers walk in with a wonderful older gentlemen and the crowd in the stadium went wild. So cool.

After a few minutes the first female pro started to approach the stadium and again the crowd cheered. When she got in to the stadium and finished the crowd got louder but it was nothing compared to the noise that errupted when Shalane Flannagan entered the stadium. OMG I was awestruck watching her fly around that lap. The crowd continued to cheer for the remainder of the femail athletes.

Then there was a lull and a few minutes later the male pros started their battle in to the stadium. There were a couple times when we could sense the men slowing down thinking they had their place secure but we could see someone gaining on them and we yelled. So much fun! And, of course, Ryan Hall. As he entered the crowd again erupted. As he passed us DS2 yelled "go RYAN" and RH turned and waved at DS2!!!!!!!!!!!

After the pros finished we watched the parachuters land carrying flags for the Army, Navy, AF, Marines, Coast Gaurd, MIA and finally, the USofA. What an incredible ceremony!

Anticlimactically, we shuffled our way to the bus. We boarded a bus with SIL to meet DH and my brother (and fam) for beers and lunch and Oskar Blues.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stayed with SIL and will do it again for as long as she'll let me.

Event comments:

This race is well done and an experience like no other. Shalane Flannagan posted on Twitter that there is nothing like entering that stadium with its roaring crowd. She called it a "bucket list" race. I agree and I'm blessed to be close enough to do it every year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:34:34 | 10 kms | 09m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 295/396
Overall: 17431/24705
Performance: Good
Course: Through the city streets of Boulder and finishing with a 3/4 lap around the track inside Folsom Field (the football stadium at the University of Colorado)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-28 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: BolderBoulder

2014-05-28 3:35 PM
in reply to: #5003339

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: BolderBoulder

What a great sounding, fun race!!  Love the tot story and the pic of DS on the slip n slide is priceless!  No, I take that back - being able to race with your child(ren) and have such an enjoyable day is priceless!  I love that your family races together.  Way to support DIL.  How cool was seeing the pros?!  Those pics are amazing!  Congrats on an all around good day.   If I'm ever in Boulder during this race time, I'm all over it!  Who am I kidding, the altitude would probably kill me if I tried to run there.

2014-05-28 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Well done, awesome stuff!!! What a neat experience, it looks like so much more than a race. I'm glad you got to enjoy this race again.

2014-05-28 9:51 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Sounds like you had an absolute blast!!  So good that it wasn't the long, slow walk you'd anticipated.  After reading your report, I might actually consider doing this race.  Maybe next year if all goes according to plan.

2014-05-29 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sooooo Mel and Mary I'll pencil you in for next year?

2014-06-04 8:43 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Wow.  Just wow.  

Loved seeing the pics elsewhere, and this just made it that much more enjoyable!  Great race (both for you and, it seems, as a race overall).

Very happy for you to have been able to run this and with all those fasties (you included, of course!!!).

Hmmmmm….  maybe it's worth the looooong trip.  

Congrats!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BolderBoulder Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BolderBOULDER

Started by sweetlou94
Views: 1212 Posts: 1

2007-06-11 4:01 PM sweetlou94

BolderBOULDER

Started by chrisp