General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toe numbness on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-29 1:10 PM

Subject: toe numbness on the bike
just recently I started having numbness in my middle toe on my right foot when I bike. the numbness can be alleviated if I constantly curl and uncurl my toes while riding, but obviously, this can't be done the whole bike ride if I want decent speed. I have had my bike professionally fit - twice, as the first fitting was by someone who relied completely on a machine without actually looking at me . second fit was much better and in fact, I didn't start having this problem until months after the fit. I am assuming it has something to do with the saddle, but what? move it forward? backward? bring it up? I don't feel like I can bring it down any further and ride.

I do have some other aches, like my knees being a bit more sore than last season and not quite the same saddle comfort in the sit spots, but the foot numbness is really the biggest problem.

any thoughts on how to adjust the saddle to stop the numbness in my foot (I have orthos in my shoes already, have tried pulling them out and riding, same result). or, could it be the cleat placement on the shoe (which was also adjusted by the professional fitter)

2014-06-05 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: toe numbness on the bike

I get some numbess in my toes if I wear road shoes vs tri shoes.  I don't wear the roaddies a lot.  If I loosen the upper a bit after ridding for awhile it seems to go away.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2014-06-05 1:24 PM
2014-06-22 9:49 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Could be the saddle itself.  I swapped mine out because I was getting pressure and irritation that made me want to pee every 20 minutes.  After going to a new saddle, that problem was solved, as well as some big toe numbness I would get.

2014-06-25 10:16 PM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

I have this issue but it's my big toe after ~3 hours of riding. I can't feel it and then my entire foot hurts like hell. Sometimes I have to stop and take my shoe off and massage it. I just went in for a fit last week and they pointed a laser line at my feet while pedaling. Right foot was perfect but my left one was all over the place. Said my knee went out and was not in a strait line. He added some shims to both feet, since his tool said my feet where not perfectly strait (like 85% of people) but my left was more out of balance and he added more there. He tested me again and this were a lot better but not perfect. I get to pick up my bike tomorrow (dropped it off for a fit and tune up) so I don't have the results yet but I'm hopeful things will be better on my 4.5 hour ride this weekend. My foot rather be at an angle and since bike shoes are flat, it puts a lot of strait on the nerves. The shims are supposed to actually make you pedal at an angle while your shoe is still flat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toe numbness on the bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

toe numbness when riding

Started by timethief
Views: 762 Posts: 3

2012-01-23 11:05 AM timethief

Can Speedplays cause toe numbness?!

Started by SRaz
Views: 2154 Posts: 3

2011-08-11 8:23 AM annabananamc

Numbness in toes post-Ironman

Started by 15step
Views: 1610 Posts: 3

2010-09-01 7:48 AM 15step

toe and feet numbness

Started by Tracii
Views: 4432 Posts: 9

2009-01-30 4:10 PM nscrbug

toe numbness

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 1095 Posts: 2

2009-01-25 6:21 PM cmlane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet

date : September 25, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After I have been cycling for about an hour the three middle toes on my left foot go tingly and then hurt like the blazes. Any clue as to what may be going on?
date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.
date : November 12, 2008
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : April 21, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
There are a few things you can do prevention-wise to avoid these annoying toe cramps (one of which is NOT eating tons of bananas as the common wisdom dictates!)
date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.

date : April 2, 2006
I have been noticing a pain in my left foot on my longer runs. It is focused on the ball part of my foot, almost a burning type sensation. Typically wiggling my toes around will get it to subside.