General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Triathlon
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 26s
Overall Rank = 35/396
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/28
Pre-race routine:

Up around 4:30, ate a bit of oatmeal and a banana, had some coffee and water on the way to the race. Arrived around 6:00am, got transition set up
Event warmup:

Went on a pre-race ride and froze. The air temp seemed like it was in the high 40s. I was really worried about the temps, but it was a complete non-issue for the race. Once back, I went and put my wetsuit on and got used to the water temp and did about a 500y warmup.
Swim
  • 24m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Terrible start. My wave was first, and I settled in behind the first row of guys. we took off and almost immediately last the lead group of 5 guys. I grabbed onto someone and drafted a bit, but realized we were WAY off course to the right. Sighting was pretty tough looking into the sun. I couldn't really make out the buoys at all. The first out section was rough. Never really found a groove and probably ended up swimming an extra 200 m.

After reach the first turn buoy, I could finally tell where the buoys were at and started reeling in people. I eventually found some feet that were at my pace and drafted almost the remainder of the race. I eventually passed him on the last stretch, and subconsciously thanked him for the pull.

As soon as I stood up to exit the water, my left hamstring cramped big time. It was locked, and I had to stop and stretch it out before continuing. more on that later...
What would you do differently?:

Sight more frequently, realize I pull to the right and try to compensate for that. But really, this was my first race of the season and I was relatively happy with the result. But it could have easily been faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

AG: 8, OA: 26

Jogged through transition, trying to regain my breath and work the cramp out. My feet were killing me, they needed to put down carpet or something. I was surprised my feet weren't bleeding from all the random rocks. The actual transition went great, no issues hopping on the bike and getting feet in shoes.

run.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 24s
  • 40 kms
  • 36.14 km/hr
Comments:

As soon as my feet were in my shoes, I started hammering. I figured I'd need this to remain warm, but it was a non issue. I started trying to keep pace with a friend who I knew could hammer, but after half of the first lap, he was a bit ahead of me and I was content letting him go.

I felt pretty strong throughout the ride. Definitely worked hard, but there was really never a point where I thought I might be damaging my run. I think I could have attacked the one hill a bit more, but I instead just kept a higher cadence with an easier gearing.

took in two gels and 1 salt tab

Not sure, I think I rode exactly what I could do. So I guess just keep training and getting faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

AG: 5, OA: 19
Run
  • 44m 41s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Towards the end of the ride, my quads and hamstrings were getting to the point where they were about to seize up. At about mile 2, this finally happened. I couldn't stretch them out or really keep running. I eventually took in a gel and a couple glasses of water that finally allowed them to subside to the point I could start running again.

Pace was ok, but I do feel I left something out on the course. I know I could maintain a faster pace, but the cramping kinda hampered that. Regardless, this was my fastest 10k race split, and I look forward to improving on it.

Maybe drink more on the bike, and take in a bit more salt to keep the cramps at bay, but really I think it just had to do with racing hard for the first time this year.
Post race
Warm down:

not much, chatted and had a few beers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cramping. This was the first time I've cramped immediately getting out of the water. It was really weird, I've cramped during the swim before, but nothing like this. My hammie was just stuck and wouldn't release. I also think my training has prevented my ability to go faster, as I've basically done zero speed work before this race. But overall, I was happy with my result. A 19 minute OLY PR.

Event comments:

I had a great time at this race and was really impressed. They gave away a ton of stuff with your registration, and everything was well organized. I was also really happy with the overall amount of competition at this race! It was really stacked, and it's fun to race really good people!

Last updated: 2013-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 43/396
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Full Sleeve
Course: Rectangle, out into sun, across appox. 400m, back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:24 | 40 kms | 36.14 km/hr
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 33/396
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps with 3 180 turns each.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:41 | 10 kms | 04m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 11/28
Overall: 68/396
Course: 2 loops, one small hill each lap, half of each lap was on a crushed gravel path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-29 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-05-31 8:42 AM
in reply to: #5004113

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course
Solid performance Mark! I know you're capable of much faster times, just takes work you know! I hear you about the cramping although I never got to the full out cramp you did. I could just feel the tightening so I backed off immediately. I agree, competition was abundant at this race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by dprocket
Views: 1511 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:01 PM dprocket

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by reecealan
Views: 1452 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:31 PM dprocket

Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Ranski
Views: 982 Posts: 1

2014-05-23 8:36 AM Ranski

Kansas City Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1369 Posts: 2

2014-05-31 8:57 AM reecealan

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by RazorTri
Views: 1760 Posts: 5

2011-05-26 2:07 PM marvintpa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.