in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Kido

Went for 50 minutes last night with my story.  Today is overcast and only 100, so I may go out again!  Just running by feel now.  Not pushing it too much.  Run when I feel up to running.  Run/walk if I need a bit of a break...  It's something, right?

that's how i always run - honestly - i got faster without working on it just because i enjoyed it more and did it more.  i'm never going to be a speed demon so i might as well enjoy it.

I love my run/walk intervals!  I'm never going to be fast, so I might as well do what my body feels it's capable of... which isn't much when it comes to running.  

My "problem" is I'm too competitive, even with myself.  I figure if I'm going out running, I should run.  Biking?  No coasting.  BUT, I realize if no one is watching, it's fun to free wheel and walk!  The only person that actually has a problem with me doing a run/walk is ME.  Which is totally stupid.  Also probably why working out isn't fun anymore.  Because of doing something I like, I turn it into a chore/work...  Mostly just to get it over with.

Same in the pool.  When I was talking the masters classes, we spent a lot of time on the wall.  Granted, a workout took and hour for only 2000 meters, but it was FUN!  If I'm by myself, I'm trying my hardest to bust out 2000 meters in 30 minutes so I can get out of the pool.

2014-06-27 7:28 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Regular
Madrid
I know what you mean to a fault. I don't run that far (or that fast). My runs range from 5 to 7 k and range from flat to too hilly. I don't care if I get passed 100 times on any given run but if I have to stop and wlak at all even if its just for 10-15 seconds I consider it a fail. And its not like I'm young or training for anything either.

Yesterday post hilly run I was doing some stretching which felt fine at the time. This morning woke up up with an OMG does this hurt hamstring pull. Not good.
2014-06-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: gr33n

Happy Friday TAN

Hot as fukk in FL. But what else is new. Just makes running a chore lately.

Hope u are all doing well!
2014-06-27 12:06 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Went for 50 minutes last night with my story.  Today is overcast and only 100, so I may go out again!  Just running by feel now.  Not pushing it too much.  Run when I feel up to running.  Run/walk if I need a bit of a break...  It's something, right?

that's how i always run - honestly - i got faster without working on it just because i enjoyed it more and did it more.  i'm never going to be a speed demon so i might as well enjoy it.

I run by heart rate so I can't say that I necessarily run by feel, but I'd say that more than 90% of all of my running is in zone 1 and recovery zone and so it all feels extremely easy.   Super easy stuff, in fact, and same as you meh, I've gotten faster just from consistency.  I've been at it like this for more than four months with my coach and next week will be my first bit of speed work, period.

I'd say that pushing yourself is definitely overrated.

2014-06-28 9:04 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

one week at the beach gone, one more to go!

Sighhhhhhh

2014-06-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jford2309

Sighhhhhhh

We are back already. It was nice. Offshore breeze most of the day with an afternoon thunder shower to cool things off. I love the name of the town just south of Daytona called Wilbur by the Sea. I expect to see a pig on the beach.They gave a new award this year. Instead of the Leatherback Award, it was Most-in-Need-of-T-Shirt. Similar but not the same standards and judging criteria.
2014-06-30 8:54 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Red flags in doc socks world

1-Put arm through a window in the middle of the night
2-On medicaid
3-Doesn't return phone call for 3 days after asking to be seen sooner than scheduled appt
4-Didn't return said call until friday afternoon (Translation I am out of pain meds)
5-Admits to drinking 4 times a week TEN drinks per episode.........now in medicine we are told to double what people admit to on alcohol consumption.

Translation. No job, drinks too much with a temper. I can hardly wait to meet him.

2014-06-30 9:41 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Socks

2-On medicaid
3-Doesn't return phone call for 3 days after asking to be seen sooner than scheduled appt
4-Didn't return said call until friday afternoon (Translation I am out of pain meds)
5-Admits to drinking 4 times a week TEN drinks per episode.........now in medicine we are told to double what people admit to on alcohol consumption.

Translation. No job, drinks too much with a temper. I can hardly wait to meet him.

I'm sure he's a nice guy

I'd say maybe no temper, but anyone that drinks that much has a temper (in my experience, anyway).

2014-06-30 9:46 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Socks

2-On medicaid

haha i'm glad you double what we write down.  because i sure know i lie.  doctors judge!!!

2014-06-30 11:53 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Alcohol consumption is hard for me to gauge. I will go months without a drink, but then have a few weeks where I have a glass of wine every other night, then have a crazy day/night where too much is consumed. So when I'm asked for an "average weekly drink count" - I have no clue, a total guesstimate. But you're telling me to cut my number in half since you will double it, eh?

2014-06-30 12:06 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by lisac957

Alcohol consumption is hard for me to gauge. I will go months without a drink, but then have a few weeks where I have a glass of wine every other night, then have a crazy day/night where too much is consumed. So when I'm asked for an "average weekly drink count" - I have no clue, a total guesstimate. But you're telling me to cut my number in half since you will double it, eh?

Rule number 1 in medicine pts always lie.  I trust most people about as far as I can throw them

2014-06-30 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by tech_geezer

Sighhhhhhh

We are back already. It was nice. Offshore breeze most of the day with an afternoon thunder shower to cool things off. I love the name of the town just south of Daytona called Wilbur by the Sea. I expect to see a pig on the beach.They gave a new award this year. Instead of the Leatherback Award, it was Most-in-Need-of-T-Shirt. Similar but not the same standards and judging criteria.

Me too - back from family vacation in Italy, sigh... Great trip. On the Tri side I ran and hiked in the Cinque Terre, swam in the Ligurian Sea (Mediterranean), and ran in Florence and did a mountain bike tour in the nearby hills outside of Florence. Rome was just lots of walking and sightseeing. Much wine and birra was consumed.

Back to work today - ugh.
2014-06-30 3:32 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ejshowers

Sighhhhhhh

Me too - back from family vacation in Italy, sigh... Great trip. On the Tri side I ran and hiked in the Cinque Terre, swam in the Ligurian Sea (Mediterranean), and ran in Florence and did a mountain bike tour in the nearby hills outside of Florence. Rome was just lots of walking and sightseeing. Much wine and birra was consumed. Back to work today - ugh.

ahh!!!  i love italy!  cinque terre looks AMAZING and is only a 90 minute drive from where i'll be staying for work the next two weeks....hmm....weekend trip maybe?  had been planning florence and lucca for my weekend, but i'm flexible...

2014-06-30 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ejshowers

Sighhhhhhh

Me too - back from family vacation in Italy, sigh... Great trip. On the Tri side I ran and hiked in the Cinque Terre, swam in the Ligurian Sea (Mediterranean), and ran in Florence and did a mountain bike tour in the nearby hills outside of Florence. Rome was just lots of walking and sightseeing. Much wine and birra was consumed. Back to work today - ugh.

ahh!!!  i love italy!  cinque terre looks AMAZING and is only a 90 minute drive from where i'll be staying for work the next two weeks....hmm....weekend trip maybe?  had been planning florence and lucca for my weekend, but i'm flexible...

It was great, highly recommend it. But I'd park in La Spezia and take the regional train in for like 8.4 euro as driving and parking in the Cinque Terre is extremely limited and difficult. Take the ferry to see a few of the towns and get the perspective from the sea and then take the train back. Super easy.
2014-06-30 4:51 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I have been seeing shots of Barcelona, Rome, and Athens during the World Cup.  Made me miss them and wish I was there.  It could be cool to be there when this is going on.

2014-06-30 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Hi TAN! How's life in the fast lane?

Kido I was out in Vegas for a few days last week. It was hotter than blue blazes! You guys need to turn the heater down out there!! I may be back in the end of July. I didn't get my dim sum fix while I was there as my brother and his wife were out of town, hopefully I can rectify that on my next trip.
2014-07-01 4:30 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

I have been seeing shots of Barcelona, Rome, and Athens during the World Cup.  Made me miss them and wish I was there.  It could be cool to be there when this is going on.

Well maybe not so much Barcelona/Spain.
2014-07-01 6:16 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

all those countries are OUT of the tournament though!  i'll be in italy for the last 2 games and had been cheering really hard for them because i wanted to see italy fight for the cup in italy, but alas, that was not to be.

2014-07-01 11:18 AM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by trinnashopefully I can rectify that on my next trip.

Hahhahahah....  you said 'recti'.

2014-07-01 11:40 AM

User image

Elite

all those countries are OUT of the tournament though!  i'll be in italy for the last 2 games and had been cheering really hard for them because i wanted to see italy fight for the cup in italy, but alas, that was not to be.

JWKMH was visiting in Paris in 1998 when France won.  She said it was a huge party everywhere you went.  G1 is with us in the US right now but will be in Sao Paulo in before the finals.  It would be cool for Brazil to be in it, or the US but that would be something of a miracle.

Futbol is such a big deal the world over.  Did anyone see Anne Coulter's diatribe about soccer? I shake my head.

TW

2014-07-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by trinnashopefully I can rectify that on my next trip.

Hahhahahah....  you said 'recti'.

Now I know why I've missed you guys!!
2014-07-01 12:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

JWKMH was visiting in Paris in 1998 when France won.  She said it was a huge party everywhere you went.  G1 is with us in the US right now but will be in Sao Paulo in before the finals.  It would be cool for Brazil to be in it, or the US but that would be something of a miracle.

Futbol is such a big deal the world over.  Did anyone see Anne Coulter's diatribe about soccer? I shake my head.

TW

I just read it - it's obviously for shock value but has some nuggets of truth in it. For me, soccer is boring. I have been watching the World Cup only because I enjoy these "once-every-four-years" things in the same way I enjoy the Olympics. I also have been turning games on when I want to nap I could be convinced otherwise, but the scoreless (and even only one or two goals in 90+ minutes?!) games and fake injuries are turn offs for sure.

I do admire the running/athletic ability of the athletes, and love a good penalty kick shoot-out. That's good stuff.

2014-07-01 1:13 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i hate ann coulter.  i would have given the article a pass if it weren't for this racist little "nugget" at the end.  terrible writing, terrible article, and terrible human being.  

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time. 

2014-07-01 1:46 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yes, I know...  I have almost watched every single game so far!

I was thinking over the last several weeks, while still in group play, it would have been cool to be there.  They take it MUCH more seriously than here in the US.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1637 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1860 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2170 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3817 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.