of 60

2014-07-01 1:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by mehaner

i hate ann coulter.  i would have given the article a pass if it weren't for this racist little "nugget" at the end.  terrible writing, terrible article, and terrible human being.  

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time. 

I heard about it but decided to avoid it because I generally stay away from judgmental crap.  BUT, since you guys were talking about it, I decided to read it.

Just like I thought.  Garbage.  I could easily argue just about every single point...  It's simply uninformed poop talk to create controversy. 

ETA:  Reading about some of her follow up tweets.  So much nonsense.  Saying the Suarez biting even proved MORE that it was a game for girls or sissies.  That in stead of punching, he BIT an opponent as if that's being girly.

Is she forgetting the most infamous "biting" incident in the world of sports was done by one of the most violent and brutal man in the world at the time?  I guess he was just a big sissy.

Again, just spewing random statements that make no sense and saying they prove something...

Edited by Kido 2014-07-01 2:00 PM

2014-07-01 1:55 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Originally posted by Kido

I have been seeing shots of Barcelona, Rome, and Athens during the World Cup.  Made me miss them and wish I was there.  It could be cool to be there when this is going on.

all those countries are OUT of the tournament though!  i'll be in italy for the last 2 games and had been cheering really hard for them because i wanted to see italy fight for the cup in italy, but alas, that was not to be.

JWKMH was visiting in Paris in 1998 when France won.  She said it was a huge party everywhere you went.  G1 is with us in the US right now but will be in Sao Paulo in before the finals.  It would be cool for Brazil to be in it, or the US but that would be something of a miracle.

Futbol is such a big deal the world over.  Did anyone see Anne Coulter's diatribe about soccer? I shake my head.

TW

I just read it - it's obviously for shock value but has some nuggets of truth in it. For me, soccer is boring. I have been watching the World Cup only because I enjoy these "once-every-four-years" things in the same way I enjoy the Olympics. I also have been turning games on when I want to nap I could be convinced otherwise, but the scoreless (and even only one or two goals in 90+ minutes?!) games and fake injuries are turn offs for sure.

I do admire the running/athletic ability of the athletes, and love a good penalty kick shoot-out. That's good stuff.

Average scores for this world cup is 3.5 per game.  Average # of touchdowns per NFL game in 2013 was 4.7 touchdowns per game.  Not a huge difference.  Multiply the 3.5 by 7 and you get a much higher "score".

Also, the game is significantly shorter.  Only 90 minutes versus an AVERAGE of 3 hours and 10 minutes of American Football.  And then there is the "who knows when it will end" baseball.  

Finally, regarding the flopping, yes, yes, yes.  They do it.  We all know they do it.  Hell, soccer fans hate it too.  But don't kid me that other sports don't try to cheat.  NBA has flops.  NFL had a few over the past years.  How about the guys in the batters box that lean into a pitch to get on base.  Do you have the same disgust with them because they are cheating?

It happens.  We don't like it.  The bad ones, like Robben's against Mexico happen so fast and the ref is not necessarily in the best position to call it.  He is ONE guy watching 21 players (if it is on one side of the pitch) and trying to see it all.  Hell, there are 7 in an NFL game and they still miss them all.  

Ultimately, I get tired of seeing the same stuff brought up year after year about soccer . If you don't like it.  Fine.  But I don't see ANYBODY doing the same thing during the World Series, or Super Bowl, or any other major sporting event.  Why does this always bring the trolls (not you Lisa, I'm talking Horse Face Coulter and other has been hacks either in politics or in sports) out of the wood works.  Once, JUST ONCE, I want to see one of them go after another event with even 1/2 the seal as they do over the World Cup with it comes out.

2014-07-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yeah, each sport has it's pros and cons. For me as a spectator though, the lack of plays (to an outsider or newbie to the sport) is pretty unappealing in soccer. In the other "American" sports - football, baseball, basketball - there are very defined plays where someone new to the sport could pretty quickly pick up if something was good or bad, if a play was executed to one teams liking or another (first down, base hit, shot clock violation, etc.). In soccer, to me it's all just people running around with possession changes so quickly it makes it seem like there are no start or finishing of set plays. I'm sure there are, but I can't see it as a casual observer. And that is not appealing to me.

I know I probably grossly generalized to true soccer aficionados, but that's how I see it from an uneducated/casual observer standpoint. 

I still watch the World Cup, but really have no clue what's going on except when there is one of those 3.5 average goals per game

2014-07-02 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I hate Walgreens..HATE THEM...that is all. Just venting. They are a huge PITA!!!

2014-07-02 8:13 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by lisac957

Yeah, each sport has it's pros and cons. For me as a spectator though, the lack of plays (to an outsider or newbie to the sport) is pretty unappealing in soccer. In the other "American" sports - football, baseball, basketball - there are very defined plays where someone new to the sport could pretty quickly pick up if something was good or bad, if a play was executed to one teams liking or another (first down, base hit, shot clock violation, etc.). In soccer, to me it's all just people running around with possession changes so quickly it makes it seem like there are no start or finishing of set plays. I'm sure there are, but I can't see it as a casual observer. And that is not appealing to me.

I know I probably grossly generalized to true soccer aficionados, but that's how I see it from an uneducated/casual observer standpoint. 

I still watch the World Cup, but really have no clue what's going on except when there is one of those 3.5 average goals per game

I would counter that the relative simplicity of soccer makes it much easier to pick up and understand than the other American sports.  Frankly, if you think about it, football and baseball are relatively complex and take quite a bit of explanation.  The only thing that is relatively difficult in soccer is the offside rule and other than that, not much else.  Where you say it looks like soccer is everyone just running around, one could say football and baseball are just standing around with just a few seconds of chaotic action.

It is what you grew up with.  You grew up with those sports so in turn you view them as easy to catch on.  Having family members from abroad, I know that they have the hardest time catching onto football and baseball.  

I'm not trying to convert you.  It is a matter of opinion on whether someone likes something or not.  That being said, it is a sport that is growing beyond just the once every 4 year cycle that it had been caught in up to ~12 years ago.  Here is an interesting article that shows how much it has grown (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-atkins/its-time-to-start-calling_b_5549810.html

Finally, I love sports.  All sports.  And I don't understand why some (absolutely not you) individuals feel almost threatened by the growing popularity of the sport.  It is as if they are afraid that their beloved sport is going to go away.  It won't.  There is plenty of room for all sports.  

Now back to your regularly scheduled TAN (ABOUT NOTHING!)

2014-07-02 11:31 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I agree - other than boxing, no one is complaining how popular the UFC is getting...  If the market bares it out, there is room for all sports.

I still get amazed you can find bass fishing shows and other "sports" that still get televised.

I used to be big car racing fan so I realize the appeal, but I'm still amazed that so many people like to see people drive 250 laps around a track for 4 hours.  Or watch 2 hours of preshow for a 2 minute horse race.

I know that people don't understand how people could watch 5 hours of someone just knocking a little white ball into a hole.  But I do.  Not sure why people have to be so threatened by things OTHER people like.  If you don't like it, cool.  No need to knock it just because other people like it.

Soccer IS a bit of an anomaly.  That it's really the "world's" sport and the USA just can't seem to embrace it.  I figured we would want to be the best at everything, so why not the "world's" game??? 

2014-07-02 11:40 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Not sure why people have to be so threatened by things OTHER people like.  If you don't like it, cool.  No need to knock it just because other people like it.

I agree. Hope I didn't come off as "knocking" soccer - it's just not my cup of tea unless there is a dramatic shoot-out happening. Just like triathlon isn't many people's cup of tea - whatever! My BF is big into golfing and NASCAR - both of which promptly put me to sleep - but whatever floats your boat. Totes ma-goats. 

2014-07-02 6:36 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Crew rules!!!

Rowing is the only sport that started out as a corporal punishment!

Athletes row all others just play games!

Hehehe ok I'm done now.

Hi TAN.

I'm here at the Naval Acedemy learning to coach rowing. It has been an awesome experience!! I am actually a little surprised myself as I have been helping to coach teenage girls and have been having a blast. Teenage girls are not one of my favorite demographics but these girls have been a lot of fun and hopefully I've helped a few of them in more than just their future rowing careers. Tomorrow is my last day and it makes me kind of sad.

2014-07-03 7:30 AM

User image

Elite

I agree - other than boxing, no one is complaining how popular the UFC is getting...  If the market bares it out, there is room for all sports.

I still get amazed you can find bass fishing shows and other "sports" that still get televised.

I used to be big car racing fan so I realize the appeal, but I'm still amazed that so many people like to see people drive 250 laps around a track for 4 hours.  Or watch 2 hours of preshow for a 2 minute horse race.

I know that people don't understand how people could watch 5 hours of someone just knocking a little white ball into a hole.  But I do.  Not sure why people have to be so threatened by things OTHER people like.  If you don't like it, cool.  No need to knock it just because other people like it.

Soccer IS a bit of an anomaly.  That it's really the "world's" sport and the USA just can't seem to embrace it.  I figured we would want to be the best at everything, so why not the "world's" game??? 

There are obviously three possible reactions to a spectacle like the World Cup.  We could mock it as Ann Coulter did and define differences between groups more sharply and with more antagonism, we could be neutral and ignore it if we are not fans or knowledgeable of the event, or we could join the party and learn something and bridge cultural gaps.  I am always going to be in that last group.  If I am in the company of people who are really enjoying something, even if it is not something I know something about, I have a good time, learn something new, and feel good about it.  This is how I found myself at a Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon concert. a NASCAR race, a Formula 1 race, a Josh Groban concert, a New Kids on the Block concert, and lots of other things that I did not know about before going.  In every case, I went with someone whom I truly liked (that would be in order, my closest cousin, a high school friend, my best friend from work at my first job, my mother-in-law, and a daughter and her friends ) and who really enjoyed the event.  I found something, usually quite a lot, to enjoy. 

I know very little about soccer and don't follow it regularly but Geezer #1's husband is a huge fan.  He lives and dies with Brazil during the World Cup and with his favorite team, the Corinthians in the Brazilian league, the rest of the time.  I have watched every game I could during this World Cup.  It has been quite enjoyable.  I recommend it to you all, especially Ann.

TW 

2014-07-07 9:46 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Coming back from vaction kinda sucks...

I also had the most expensive vacation EVER!!!!  Our transmission blew on the drive back from Florida. After weighing the cost of fixing it, we decided it was best to buy a new ride to get home, So we ended up buying a new car in Byron GA so we could get home this weekend. We did find a great deal and it worked out, but it sure was not the way I thought we'd be buying our next ride!

2014-07-07 10:17 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309

I also had the most expensive vacation EVER!!!!  Our transmission blew on the drive back from Florida. After weighing the cost of fixing it, we decided it was best to buy a new ride to get home, So we ended up buying a new car in Byron GA so we could get home this weekend. We did find a great deal and it worked out, but it sure was not the way I thought we'd be buying our next ride!

haha that's a good story to have though...

2014-07-07 11:08 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

The funny part is that we decided to drive this year to try and save some money...

2014-07-07 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

The funny part is that we decided to drive this year to try and save some money...

Thats hysterical!!  Congrats on the new ride?????

2014-07-09 9:40 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Wow jford that's a crazy story!! 
When I was a kid, our Dodge Caravan broke down somewhere in po-dunk western Kansas and it was on a holiday weekend so NO repair shops were open. And this was before cell phones and such. We ended up camping out at a greasy diner for around 12 hours while some very nice locals called in the repair part from a town far, far away. Looking back, I didn't think much of it as a kid, just a minor blip standing in our way of vacation - but I can't imagine the stress it caused my parents! 

2014-07-10 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Hello TAN

Well after being unemployed for a while now I'm actually applying for a new job... Assistant coach for a collegiate rowing team. I should have my US Rowing level 2 coaching certification here in August or so. Even more importantly I've even started doing some triathlon training, now I just need to find a tri to do.

Hopefully you'll get many years of enjoyment out of you vacation souvenir Jford, all I bought was a jacket.
2014-07-10 6:35 PM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by trinnas Hello TAN Well after being unemployed for a while now I'm actually applying for a new job... Assistant coach for a collegiate rowing team. I should have my US Rowing level 2 coaching certification here in August or so. Even more importantly I've even started doing some triathlon training, now I just need to find a tri to do. Hopefully you'll get many years of enjoyment out of you vacation souvenir Jford, all I bought was a jacket.

Nice, very cool, Kate!

Are you still in Florida?  Shouldn't be too hard to find something down there, I'd think.

James - that sucks about the car, but on the upside, you've got a new car!

2014-07-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by trinnas Hello TAN Well after being unemployed for a while now I'm actually applying for a new job... Assistant coach for a collegiate rowing team. I should have my US Rowing level 2 coaching certification here in August or so. Even more importantly I've even started doing some triathlon training, now I just need to find a tri to do. Hopefully you'll get many years of enjoyment out of you vacation souvenir Jford, all I bought was a jacket.

Nice, very cool, Kate!

Are you still in Florida?  Shouldn't be too hard to find something down there, I'd think.

Yup still in FL. One of our teams here just lost two of their coaches so I'm talking to their head coach about taking me on. The question is do I want to coach men or women. I'm not really sure, they each pose interesting challenges. I spent a week at navy rowing camp for girls shadowing their coaches and spent some time helping with one of the novice girls boat. Surprisingly enough I found I really enjoyed it even though teenage girls have never been my favorite demographic even when I was one. We will see how it goes.
2014-07-11 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by trinnas

Hello TAN

Well after being unemployed for a while now I'm actually applying for a new job... Assistant coach for a collegiate rowing team. I should have my US Rowing level 2 coaching certification here in August or so. Even more importantly I've even started doing some triathlon training, now I just need to find a tri to do.

Hopefully you'll get many years of enjoyment out of you vacation souvenir Jford, all I bought was a jacket.

Best wishes on the job. I am sure you will be great at it.

Since I have mostly been out of BT and TAN doing other things I only caught that your playing with power tools and wood. what else have I missed?
2014-07-11 10:55 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by tcarlson78  I only caught that your playing with ...wood.  

Heh.

Hehehe.

Hehehehehe!

2014-07-11 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by cgregg

Nice, very cool, Kate!

We are actually loving the new car. Not sure if I said, but we bought a 2010 Ford Flex with only 33K miles on it, barely broken in! It has everything we needed and much more so it is all working out! In a way, I think if we were home and had to buy a car, it would have been harder due to all the car lots around here, this way we had a set time and had to make a decision!

2014-07-11 12:23 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Champion
Originally posted by tcarlson78

Originally posted by trinnas

Hello TAN

Best wishes on the job. I am sure you will be great at it.

Since I have mostly been out of BT and TAN doing other things I only caught that your playing with power tools and wood. what else have I missed?

I'm working on lengthening out my stroke! . *rowing stroke that is*

It's been too hot in the garage to do much with the lathe so I haven't made much of late. I should probably work on selling what I have now. Mostly I've been traveling, a week at navy camp rowing, a few days in DC museum crawling, a week in Vegas (no not the fun kind ),another week at navy camp learning how to coach, in Philly reffing a race and doing some sightseeing. I'm glad to finally be home for a little while! I miss my own bed! Have you all been up to anything nefarious? If so, do tell!

2014-07-14 7:55 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Happy monday TAN................I get to be on call lucky me.................Full moon GO AWAY!!!

2014-07-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am bummed!!

My wife and I were suppose to rcae a sprint triathlon Saturday in what would have been my first race of the year, but I got my dates messed up. My kids are leaving on a chirch trip to New York that morning. The race site is a little over an hour away and there is no way for us to race and get back and get them to the church in time. They will be gone for 10 days so I would hate not to be there to send them off and I don't want them thinking I'd rather race than see them off either.

So I guess we are eating the $140 bucks for the race fees we paid. I really thought they left the next day and that it would be no issue!

The only other race I have on the claendar is a half marathon in December!

Edited by jford2309 2014-07-14 11:29 AM
2014-07-14 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

oh, man... that sucks James

Perhaps see if you can find another race nearby in a week or two?

@Kate - just remember to keep that stroke smooth and easy, until it's time to go faster; and don't grip the handle too tightly.

2014-07-14 1:56 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Once again, we have planned a vacation and ONCE AGAIN, it seems like opportunities that are too good to pass up or work things happen to the wife that she stresses over or wants to cut our vacation short for.

I got a little fed up and said we should just not plan vacations because it's EVERY TIME this happens.  Her retort is that we have gone on vacations before and everything was fine.  Yeah, if you consider constant comments and complaints about missed work, money, auditions, rehersals and one or two times we have to spend hours in an internet café trying to catch up on emails...

We were going to leave Thursday night and I would get back to work Thursday next week.  No it looks like we are flying back Monday.    If she doesn't cut it short, she is still going to worry the whole time about the play rehearsals she is missing..

I have a case of the Mondays...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1639 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2126 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1861 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2175 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3827 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.