of 60

2014-07-14 4:49 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by Kido

Once again, we have planned a vacation and ONCE AGAIN, it seems like opportunities that are too good to pass up or work things happen to the wife that she stresses over or wants to cut our vacation short for.

I got a little fed up and said we should just not plan vacations because it's EVERY TIME this happens.  Her retort is that we have gone on vacations before and everything was fine.  Yeah, if you consider constant comments and complaints about missed work, money, auditions, rehersals and one or two times we have to spend hours in an internet café trying to catch up on emails...

We were going to leave Thursday night and I would get back to work Thursday next week.  No it looks like we are flying back Monday.    If she doesn't cut it short, she is still going to worry the whole time about the play rehearsals she is missing..

I have a case of the Mondays...

not sure if you are just venting, but let her fly back and you continue on with the vacation!

2014-07-14 5:07 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Originally posted by jford2309

Once again, we have planned a vacation and ONCE AGAIN, it seems like opportunities that are too good to pass up or work things happen to the wife that she stresses over or wants to cut our vacation short for.

I got a little fed up and said we should just not plan vacations because it's EVERY TIME this happens.  Her retort is that we have gone on vacations before and everything was fine.  Yeah, if you consider constant comments and complaints about missed work, money, auditions, rehersals and one or two times we have to spend hours in an internet café trying to catch up on emails...

We were going to leave Thursday night and I would get back to work Thursday next week.  No it looks like we are flying back Monday.    If she doesn't cut it short, she is still going to worry the whole time about the play rehearsals she is missing..

I have a case of the Mondays...

not sure if you are just venting, but let her fly back and you continue on with the vacation!

Depending on the situation that could make bad worse.
2014-07-14 5:40 PM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Venting a little, but it does get aggravating that it's always SOMETHING...  When I plan a vacation, I forget about work and deal with it when I get back.  Guess when you go from gig to gig, you don't have that luxury. 

2014-07-14 6:09 PM

User image

Champion
Well I will likely be heading back to Vegas end of next week. If you could ask them to turn the heat down a tad I'd appreciate it!
2014-07-16 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

bewbs

That is all.  Carry on.

2014-07-16 11:26 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Originally posted by cgregg

bewbs

That is all.  Carry on.

That's what ones bra is for!

2014-07-16 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Kido if you're about I need to ask a question. I will be in Vegas week after next for a week and a half to two weeks. I'll be staying up around Desert Inn and Fort Apache area. Do you know if there are any gyms that will let me pay a fee and work out there while I'm visiting?
2014-07-16 3:54 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by trinnas Fort Apache

Great movie!

2014-07-16 5:41 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by trinnas Kido if you're about I need to ask a question. I will be in Vegas week after next for a week and a half to two weeks. I'll be staying up around Desert Inn and Fort Apache area. Do you know if there are any gyms that will let me pay a fee and work out there while I'm visiting?

Sorry, I haven't been on TAN in days.

That's scary close to where I work... 

Anyway...  There is a Las Vegas Athletic club south of you that may give you a day pass to check it out, but I'm not sure.  There is a gym a Sahara and Cimarron that used to be a 24hr fitness that's something else now.  I never been there so I don't know if they let people in for a day.  The YMCA always lets you buy a day pass, but I don't know about one in that area.  Running in Red Rocks is always an option!  And free!

2014-07-16 7:11 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by trinnas Kido if you're about I need to ask a question. I will be in Vegas week after next for a week and a half to two weeks. I'll be staying up around Desert Inn and Fort Apache area. Do you know if there are any gyms that will let me pay a fee and work out there while I'm visiting?

Sorry, I haven't been on TAN in days.

That's scary close to where I work... 

Anyway...  There is a Las Vegas Athletic club south of you that may give you a day pass to check it out, but I'm not sure.  There is a gym a Sahara and Cimarron that used to be a 24hr fitness that's something else now.  I never been there so I don't know if they let people in for a day.  The YMCA always lets you buy a day pass, but I don't know about one in that area.  Running in Red Rocks is always an option!  And free!

Thanks I'll look into them, including red rocks.
My dad's house is in the subdivision at the corner of that intersection so I'm usually up in that area when I'm there.
2014-07-17 11:30 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Made some slow cooker pork loin the other day.  Pulled pork with dark sweet cherries, balsamic vinegar, and honey.

I don't want to brag too much here, but that schtuff was so good, Meatloaf would totally do "THAT" if it meant he could have some.

2014-07-21 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

TAN?

2014-07-21 12:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

TAN?

IKR?  Come on people lets liven it up a bit!!!

I have nothing exciting to report but I am pretty boring

Edited by Socks 2014-07-21 12:03 PM
2014-07-21 3:32 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I can say that if a couple pulls up to you in a van and offers you two 50 inch TVs and they say they are hott and need to get rid of them, don't buy them!

2014-07-22 2:17 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Its been a great few weeks around here. Wife and daughters are in the US for a few weeks. Its like a working vacation for me.
Highlights:
- A week ago I'm sitting at home and the doorbell rings. Its this woman saying she's lost asking if I know where some street is. Its hot out and she's been walking and asks if she can have a glass of water. I'm thinking hmmm... OK nothing happened but best not to tell the rest.
- Friday I get a call from a friend of mine about meeting up after work. We head out about 8 to get something to eat. At the next table are these 3 women. No better not tell this story.
- Saturday I head out to go to a movie and get something to eat downtown. On second thought better not tell this one either in case wife is looking in here.

Nevermind. Its been all quiet here. To beat the heat have been getting up at O dark thirty to run 4-5 days a week.

Edited by gr33n 2014-07-22 2:18 AM
2014-07-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by gr33n Its been a great few weeks around here. Wife and daughters are in the US for a few weeks. Its like a working vacation for me. Highlights: - A week ago I'm sitting at home and the doorbell rings. Its this woman saying she's lost asking if I know where some street is. Its hot out and she's been walking and asks if she can have a glass of water. I'm thinking hmmm... OK nothing happened but best not to tell the rest. - Friday I get a call from a friend of mine about meeting up after work. We head out about 8 to get something to eat. At the next table are these 3 women. No better not tell this story. - Saturday I head out to go to a movie and get something to eat downtown. On second thought better not tell this one either in case wife is looking in here. Nevermind. Its been all quiet here. To beat the heat have been getting up at O dark thirty to run 4-5 days a week.

Sounds like fun??  I had a week of incredible stupidity last week.  It was staggering. Details in my blog. 

2014-07-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Oh HAI! I trust there are no LOLs in here? Right then.Carry on.
2014-07-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: FishrCutB8

User image

Elite
Cleveland

So, the only news for me is that Eliza & I are looking at houses.

We're going back for a 2nd look at a 19th century farmhouse on a half acre of land  tonight.  The floors are a little sloped, so I've been trying to find a structural engineer to come take a look, but I'm pretty sure that we're going to write an offer on it anyway, and just make it contingent upon inspection.

Pretty excited... this thing was built in 1847. 

To give that some perspective:

That year, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Jesse James, and Joseph Pulitzer were born.

James Polk was the President of the U.S - just the 11th President.

There were only 29 states, and the Civil War was still 18 years away from beginning.

2014-07-24 9:48 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Whoa, big step! Awesome!

My house was built in 1928 - it's so cute and quaint, with arched doorways and lots of charm. I often waver from loving it's history and charm, with wanting to live in a "new" house without the "old house" problems. 

So what are you gonna do with the land? I think you should raise chickens

2014-07-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Actually, I would *love* to have some chickens!  And a goat!

The city we're moving to is a little uppity, so I'm not sure that they will allow chickens, but if they do, I'm definitely getting at least 4-6.  Fresh eggs every day would be soooo nice!

Most of the land is front yard and the back yard is relatively tiny.  The back will be mostly for the dogs and the front will be room for the kids to play.  I plan to intermingle veggies with the regular landscaping, and I have a bunch of raspberry & blackberry that will get transplanted from my house, too.  Some of the raspberry is actually true "heirloom" in that it is grown from cuttings from raspberry plants at the house I grew up in, which in turn came from plants at the house my Dad grew up in that my grandfather planted in like the 1950's.

The biggest "old house" thing we have to deal with (other than sloping floors) is that the home is a registered local historical landmark, so ANY change to the exterior, even landscaping, has to be approved by the city's Planning Commission.   It's a pain, but that's part of the deal.

2014-07-24 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Actually, I would *love* to have some chickens!  And a goat!

The city we're moving to is a little uppity, so I'm not sure that they will allow chickens, but if they do, I'm definitely getting at least 4-6.  Fresh eggs every day would be soooo nice!

Most of the land is front yard and the back yard is relatively tiny.  The back will be mostly for the dogs and the front will be room for the kids to play.  I plan to intermingle veggies with the regular landscaping, and I have a bunch of raspberry & blackberry that will get transplanted from my house, too.  Some of the raspberry is actually true "heirloom" in that it is grown from cuttings from raspberry plants at the house I grew up in, which in turn came from plants at the house my Dad grew up in that my grandfather planted in like the 1950's.

The biggest "old house" thing we have to deal with (other than sloping floors) is that the home is a registered local historical landmark, so ANY change to the exterior, even landscaping, has to be approved by the city's Planning Commission.   It's a pain, but that's part of the deal.

That sounds really cool. I would bet there is not anything to be down about sloping floors in a house that old. 

2014-07-24 4:59 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Back from San Fran and trying to get out from under the pile of work that was waiting for me.

OH, and nothing like a dress up weekend and about 500 pictures of myself to get slapped in the face about how fat and out of shape I have become.  Which I guess is a good thing that it's finally REAL?

Buckle down and diet and workouts start NOW.  I'm thinking of going for a crossfit gym membership or a heated yoga/pilates/bootcamp gym.  The wife is pushing for the yoga place because she goes there AND it's $300 for the YEAR whereas the crossfit is $150 per MONTH.  Sheesh, expensive.

Honestly, the crossfit seems more fun and motivating, but the yoga/pilates/bootcamp is probably going to give me the body type I want, less chance for injury, and WAY cheaper.  I'm afraid with my touchy knee and shoulder, that I will wash out of crossfit pretty quickly.

2014-07-24 7:05 PM

User image

Champion

Back from San Fran and trying to get out from under the pile of work that was waiting for me.

OH, and nothing like a dress up weekend and about 500 pictures of myself to get slapped in the face about how fat and out of shape I have become.  Which I guess is a good thing that it's finally REAL?

Buckle down and diet and workouts start NOW.  I'm thinking of going for a crossfit gym membership or a heated yoga/pilates/bootcamp gym.  The wife is pushing for the yoga place because she goes there AND it's $300 for the YEAR whereas the crossfit is $150 per MONTH.  Sheesh, expensive.

Honestly, the crossfit seems more fun and motivating, but the yoga/pilates/bootcamp is probably going to give me the body type I want, less chance for injury, and WAY cheaper.  I'm afraid with my touchy knee and shoulder, that I will wash out of crossfit pretty quickly.

The only thing I've seen from crossfit was a competition in DC. The whole thing made me cringe and not in a good way. The form was atrocious!! I can imagine it is keeping many orthopedists in business with lousy lifting technique.
2014-07-25 7:59 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by trinnas

The only thing I've seen from crossfit was a competition in DC. The whole thing made me cringe and not in a good way. The form was atrocious!! I can imagine it is keeping many orthopedists in business with lousy lifting technique.

Like many gyms, I suppose it all depends upon the quality of the owner/coach.  These people have to pass a certification class before they can apply to own a Crossfit box, but how serious they take it is anyone's guess.   I'm sure there are more than a few that pay it only enough attention to get the cert so they can start pulling in the cash..... owning a Crossfit box is nearly a license to print money.

The box my girlfriend has an owner that is extremely serious about making sure people have form correct before progressing  He flat out won't allow people to try things at a higher level if their form isn't good with what they're doing.   Conversely, I've heard stories of lots of other boxes where the owner(s) are less than stellar, to say the least.

We wrote an offer on that house last night.  Now we wait.

Edited by cgregg 2014-07-25 8:00 AM
2014-07-25 9:10 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by trinnas

Like many gyms, I suppose it all depends upon the quality of the owner/coach.  These people have to pass a certification class before they can apply to own a Crossfit box, but how serious they take it is anyone's guess.   I'm sure there are more than a few that pay it only enough attention to get the cert so they can start pulling in the cash..... owning a Crossfit box is nearly a license to print money.

The box my girlfriend has an owner that is extremely serious about making sure people have form correct before progressing  He flat out won't allow people to try things at a higher level if their form isn't good with what they're doing.   Conversely, I've heard stories of lots of other boxes where the owner(s) are less than stellar, to say the least.

We wrote an offer on that house last night.  Now we wait.

Well I've never been to a crossfit gym so it's impossible for me to say what goes on there vs in a competition. I did see many different gyms represented and not a single participant did a true pull up or a true to form deadlift. The walking lunges were a little better but even there many were doing them in ways that made my knees hurt just watching. However, I have seen the same sorts of things in a regular gym as well. It's the same mentality from my perspective only, in crossfit, it's raised to a cult like status.

Good luck on the house!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1636 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1859 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2170 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3816 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.