in reply to: cgregg

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by trinnas
Originally posted by Kido

Back from San Fran and trying to get out from under the pile of work that was waiting for me.

OH, and nothing like a dress up weekend and about 500 pictures of myself to get slapped in the face about how fat and out of shape I have become.  Which I guess is a good thing that it's finally REAL?

Buckle down and diet and workouts start NOW.  I'm thinking of going for a crossfit gym membership or a heated yoga/pilates/bootcamp gym.  The wife is pushing for the yoga place because she goes there AND it's $300 for the YEAR whereas the crossfit is $150 per MONTH.  Sheesh, expensive.

Honestly, the crossfit seems more fun and motivating, but the yoga/pilates/bootcamp is probably going to give me the body type I want, less chance for injury, and WAY cheaper.  I'm afraid with my touchy knee and shoulder, that I will wash out of crossfit pretty quickly.

The only thing I've seen from crossfit was a competition in DC. The whole thing made me cringe and not in a good way. The form was atrocious!! I can imagine it is keeping many orthopedists in business with lousy lifting technique.

Like many gyms, I suppose it all depends upon the quality of the owner/coach.  These people have to pass a certification class before they can apply to own a Crossfit box, but how serious they take it is anyone's guess.   I'm sure there are more than a few that pay it only enough attention to get the cert so they can start pulling in the cash..... owning a Crossfit box is nearly a license to print money.

The box my girlfriend has an owner that is extremely serious about making sure people have form correct before progressing  He flat out won't allow people to try things at a higher level if their form isn't good with what they're doing.   Conversely, I've heard stories of lots of other boxes where the owner(s) are less than stellar, to say the least.

We wrote an offer on that house last night.  Now we wait.

Chris, the house sounds awesome!  I would love to find an older house to move into. Hope the process goes smoothly for you!

2014-07-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Old houses take a lot of work which could be awesome or miserable, depending on your mindset.

An old house can be "fun" just thinking about the potential and possibilities of restoration.  I grew up doing that (not of my choice!)  so I have become pretty savvy at doing restoration and repairs.

HOWEVER, old houses do lack some of the really slick modern conveniences plus they take a lot of work and you never feel like it's done.  Working on an old house could be a full time job as WELL as a feeling of constantly hemorrhaging money for improvements.

2014-07-25 1:27 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I believe I have a mole in my yard. I keep seeing these rasied dirt trails all over the yard. My goal this weekend is to kill  it!

I will update Monday.

2014-07-25 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Originally posted by jford2309

I believe I have a mole in my yard. I keep seeing these rasied dirt trails all over the yard. My goal this weekend is to kill  it!

I will update Monday.

Did anyone else just have a caddy shack flashback?? Yeah I know it was gophers but still...
2014-07-25 4:09 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Kido

Old houses take a lot of work which could be awesome or miserable, depending on your mindset.

An old house can be "fun" just thinking about the potential and possibilities of restoration.  I grew up doing that (not of my choice!)  so I have become pretty savvy at doing restoration and repairs.

HOWEVER, old houses do lack some of the really slick modern conveniences plus they take a lot of work and you never feel like it's done.  Working on an old house could be a full time job as WELL as a feeling of constantly hemorrhaging money for improvements.

Oh, absolutely!  Fortunately, for me, this sort of thing is fun - for realz.  There is pretty much no part of home construction and remodeling that I can't do, so my need to hire contractors is very minimal.  Modern conveniences - there really isn't anything that will be missed.  The kitchen is actually updated in the place, and at some point in history, someone had the radiators taken out and they retrofitted the place with forced air heating and cooling.  I could wire the place for ethernet (and probably will, for some rooms), but wireless gets the job done as well as it needs to be in most instances.

It's been fun looking for places that do custom millwork (because I'm not going to buy a shaper just to do it myself) and such, and I'm actually pretty stoked about the notion of being the steward for a piece of history.

Kate - that totally is what I thought of.  Oh, Mrs Haversham... you BEAST. You dog!  Bark like a dog!!

2014-07-25 10:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Reno

I will update Monday.

Did anyone else just have a caddy shack flashback?? Yeah I know it was gophers but still...

in Winnemucca , we lived in a rented home in a decent mobile home park. I also managed a business. There was a lady in town who made a living getting rid of moles and voles and what not. I hired her to deal with the issue at the business and she was "the Vole whisperer". She quietly studied the patterns, set her traps, and took care of it. While talking to her, I mentioned that we had an issue where I lived, and found out she had a contract with the trailer park. Cool. She shows up one morning and begins her zen like study. mr Booty, home from the bush in Guyana at the time, notices someone outside. He goes out on the porch, in a sarong, bare chested and bared footd, long hair all wild. Looking like the wild man of Borneo. They startle each other. She says - "oh - you must be Mary's husband..... I'm here to take care of the voles". He dead pans "yes. She ordered me off the internet." I'll be damned but she was at my admin assistants house that night asking her if that was true. Mr Booty was a bit exotic for Winnemucca....

. That is my vole story. Good luck

Edited by bootygirl 2014-07-25 10:34 PM

2014-07-25 11:25 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Elite
Reno
So, Mr Booty is in the field working, and I am on my own tonight without a plan. Sweet - quiet time in the garden. I live "in town" where we have pretty courtyard like yards. It is generally not an issue. But tonight I have been treated to the most racist tirade of my blowhard neighbor, going on and on about "those brown children" flooding our land, and then going on about freeloaders... It is pretty hateful, and loud. What is funny is that he is unemployed and his wife is from Australia. SHE makes the money for their home - she is a college prof. And my naturalized citizen husband makes more money than me.... So I guess that the immigrants in the neighborhood pay more taxes than he is lost on him..... And one of them is brown......
2014-07-26 12:27 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Champion
Originally posted by bootygirl

I will update Monday.

in Winnemucca , we lived in a rented home in a decent mobile home park. I also managed a business. There was a lady in town who made a living getting rid of moles and voles and what not. I hired her to deal with the issue at the business and she was "the Vole whisperer". She quietly studied the patterns, set her traps, and took care of it. While talking to her, I mentioned that we had an issue where I lived, and found out she had a contract with the trailer park. Cool. She shows up one morning and begins her zen like study. mr Booty, home from the bush in Guyana at the time, notices someone outside. He goes out on the porch, in a sarong, bare chested and bared footd, long hair all wild. Looking like the wild man of Borneo. They startle each other. She says - "oh - you must be Mary's husband..... I'm here to take care of the voles". He dead pans "yes. She ordered me off the internet." I'll be damned but she was at my admin assistants house that night asking her if that was true. Mr Booty was a bit exotic for Winnemucca....

. That is my vole story. Good luck

That's hysterical!!!

Btw what's the web address where you can order guys like that again??
2014-07-26 11:37 PM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Nothing make a Clyde feel like a fattie than to have a dozen Tri's under your belt, including an Oly and HIM, only to have the guy registering you at a short sprint ask you not once, not twice, but three times if this was your first Tri... and despite your answers, treat you like a full on rookie while explaining their check-in process.
2014-07-27 6:35 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Champion
Originally posted by eabeam

Nothing make a Clyde feel like a fattie than to have a dozen Tri's under your belt, including an Oly and HIM, only to have the guy registering you at a short sprint ask you not once, not twice, but three times if this was your first Tri... and despite your answers, treat you like a full on rookie while explaining their check-in process.

Try standing in line for the bathroom at an all women's tri, looking down at the person in front of you and thinking "gee that's awesome, someone brought their 12 year old daughter" then looking at said child's leg and realizing its a 35 year old woman and that you stand about a head taller than most of the other women in line. At least in rowing I'm about average height if not a little on the short side!
2014-07-28 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by eabeam Nothing make a Clyde feel like a fattie than to have a dozen Tri's under your belt, including an Oly and HIM, only to have the guy registering you at a short sprint ask you not once, not twice, but three times if this was your first Tri... and despite your answers, treat you like a full on rookie while explaining their check-in process.
I've done 6 ironmans been in the sport 10 years and that still happens at nearly every race.

2014-07-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

doctor was a big waste of time.

it's not a fracture, so that's nice, but only direction i have is continue to do activity as long as it doesn't hurt and come back for an MRI and i'll follow up in 2 weeks and do what?  tell you to rest?

is there ANY REASON on earth i should waste my time and money on the MRI/followup appt if all 3 possible outcomes just mean i have to rest?

and in the meantime how do i not go BAT POOP CRAZY not being able to do anything i like?

2014-07-28 1:57 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by eabeam Nothing make a Clyde feel like a fattie than to have a dozen Tri's under your belt, including an Oly and HIM, only to have the guy registering you at a short sprint ask you not once, not twice, but three times if this was your first Tri... and despite your answers, treat you like a full on rookie while explaining their check-in process.

Why would that make you feel like a "fattie"?
Without being there, it sounds like the volunteer was trying to be helpful and organized. Asking 3x if it was your first race was probably overkill, but at a "short sprint" I imagine it's a lot of people's first races, and they might have been trying to re-assure newbies and make them feel more comfortable by walking them through an organized check-in (certainly better than no organization! That is the worst!). Again without being there, I wouldn't have read much into that at all.

2014-07-28 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Damnit.  

That "Lucy" body marking thread that popped up in TriTalk made me sad.  I started thinking about her which then got me to thinking about jdwright and now I'm all misty eyed at my desk.  

Edited by crowny2 2014-07-28 3:51 PM
2014-07-29 6:35 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by crowny2

Damnit.  

That "Lucy" body marking thread that popped up in TriTalk made me sad.  I started thinking about her which then got me to thinking about jdwright and now I'm all misty eyed at my desk.  

Me too. 

2014-07-29 6:36 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Damnit.  

Lucy was before my time on BT, but I do remember jd and miss him around here!

2014-07-29 6:36 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mehaner

it's not a fracture, so that's nice, but only direction i have is continue to do activity as long as it doesn't hurt and come back for an MRI and i'll follow up in 2 weeks and do what?  tell you to rest?

is there ANY REASON on earth i should waste my time and money on the MRI/followup appt if all 3 possible outcomes just mean i have to rest?

and in the meantime how do i not go BAT POOP CRAZY not being able to do anything i like?

So what exactly is wrong/hurting? the ankle still?  Pm me if you want and I will try to help

2014-07-29 6:57 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Socks

So what exactly is wrong/hurting? the ankle still?  Pm me if you want and I will try to help

PM sent - tried to be as diagnostically helpful as possible.  Thanks.

2014-07-29 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Seeing the thread about the name of BT and if it needs to be changed in Tri Talk quickly turned into a "back in the good old days of BT" memory trip where people started talking about what they like before the redesign. One of the most mentioned things was the inspires that no one seems to leave anymore. So I got to thinking, do any of you leave inspires anymore or even receive them? I can't remember the last time I left one or got one...

(And no, I am not fishing for inspires!)

Edited by jford2309 2014-07-29 11:29 AM
2014-07-29 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Seeing the thread about the name of BT and if it needs to be changed in Tri Talk quickly turned into a "back in the good old days of BT" memory trip where people started talking about what they like before the redesign. One of the most mentioned things was the inspires that no one seems to leave anymore. So I got to thinking, do any of you leave inspires anymore or even receive them? I can't remember the last time I left one or got one...

i inspire pretty regularly.  i receive inspires about as much as a i give.  i LOVE inspires

2014-07-29 1:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I do (both give and receive), but only to people who I interact with regularly. 

2014-07-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Originally posted by lisac957

Why would that make you feel like a "fattie"?
Without being there, it sounds like the volunteer was trying to be helpful and organized. Asking 3x if it was your first race was probably overkill, but at a "short sprint" I imagine it's a lot of people's first races, and they might have been trying to re-assure newbies and make them feel more comfortable by walking them through an organized check-in (certainly better than no organization! That is the worst!). Again without being there, I wouldn't have read much into that at all.

I not really super-sensitive about my appearance and weight, but I interpreted tone and body language from the interaction as "no way this guy actually trains or does races regularly."

2014-07-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by lisac957

I do (both give and receive), but only to people who I interact with regularly. 

In the good old days, that line would never have lasted this long without comment!

BOOM

2014-07-29 5:34 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Damnit.  

Lucy was before my time on BT, but I do remember jd and miss him around here!

He showed up as someone to get in touch with on my new linked in account.  Kind of weird to see that suggestion.  I think it was that...  I should see if his FB account is still there.

2014-07-29 5:37 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Nope.  Not really.  But to be fair, I got one from Meh about a month ago...  Loverly...  But that's about it since the change.

However, I'm FAR less active in tri and BT.  I may go the way of the dinosaur and/or Ryanamite or do the Kiley pop-in...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1638 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1860 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2172 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3821 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.