of 60

2014-08-15 2:59 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by mehaner

hello dead TAN!  what's everyone's weekend plans?

The usual suspects! Homemade Friday night dinner with Brian, long run at the crack of stupid tomorrow morning, church Sunday. Work takes me to the glamorous destination of Oklahoma City Monday, so getting ready for that.

2014-08-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What should we make for din-din? I am starting with a nice big salad for sure but am stuck on the main dish. 

2014-08-15 3:16 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am running the Elvis Presley 5K tomorrow morning!  I am actually excited about this run, not really to race it, but it is going to be fun

2014-08-18 6:43 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

wake up TAN!  i think i am back in the running business.  did 3 miles on a trail yesterday and my ankle is no more hurty than my un-injured ankle.  i take that as a good sign.  price bump for my goal half-marathon on 9/1 so i will start training and re-evaluate on 8/31 if i should sign up for the HM or just the 6mile.

2014-08-18 7:08 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Good news re the ankle.

Here's a bizarro one for you. Friday was a holiday here so go for a morning run. I get back and the gardener was in the yard so I stop for a chat. Standing on the lawn all of a sudden I get inundated with insect bites. I swat them away thinking no big deal. All in I got bitten about 12 times mostly on my legs. Within about 15 minutes they're starting to swell to the size of quarters, turn red, itch like mad, and are kind of hot to touch. Later that afternoon I'm feeling not great and even running a fever. I have no idea what these bites were from but they must have provoked some kind of allergic reaction that knocked me back for a day. Saturday took it easy and tby Sunday was fine again. Other than that nothing exciting to report.
2014-08-18 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

wake up TAN!  i think i am back in the running business.  did 3 miles on a trail yesterday and my ankle is no more hurty than my un-injured ankle.  i take that as a good sign.  price bump for my goal half-marathon on 9/1 so i will start training and re-evaluate on 8/31 if i should sign up for the HM or just the 6mile.

YAY good news indeed

2014-08-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
How was the weekend?

I played RD for a local 5K race Sat AM. Then spent 8+ hrs (Sat PM and Sun) on practice tests getting ready for a PMP certification exam. My brain hurts. Weather turned cool and wet so it was a good time to study and do some things around the house.
2014-08-18 10:27 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tcarlson78 How was the weekend? I played RD for a local 5K race Sat AM. Then spent 8+ hrs (Sat PM and Sun) on practice tests getting ready for a PMP certification exam. My brain hurts. Weather turned cool and wet so it was a good time to study and do some things around the house.

PMP, i keep meaning to do that too!

2014-08-18 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Originally posted by tcarlson78 How was the weekend? I played RD for a local 5K race Sat AM. Then spent 8+ hrs (Sat PM and Sun) on practice tests getting ready for a PMP certification exam. My brain hurts. Weather turned cool and wet so it was a good time to study and do some things around the house.

What is keeping you from it?
2014-08-18 10:47 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by jford2309

I just came back form a sushi buffet!  Not sure I will be to productive for the rest of the day.

YUMMMM i am a sushi addict

I never saw it before getting to Vegas, but we have all-u-can-eat sushi places all over.  I'm talking good places too, where each order is hand made on the spot.  Not a buffet that has it all out on ice or something.

Typically $20 - $25 bucks/pp.  SOOOOOOOOO  fun/good!

If any of you get to Vegas, I will be happy to point you in the right direction or take you somewhere...

We just got a place that is only $17 all you can eat fresh to order sushi and it is GOOD.  when i do takeout by myself i easily put away $20 worth....

I NEED to find sushi places in Austin!!!  I think I'm suffering from raw fish withdrawal.  

how hard are they to find??

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sushi%20restaurants%20austin%2C%20TX

I should have qualified it with good.  I NEED to find GOOD sushi places in Austin!  

But I will refrain from looking until Labour Day weekend which is when Tony get here -  YAY!!!  

Feels like I haven't had sushi in for.ev.errrrrrrrr  

I enjoy making my own, but Eliza isn't a fan of sushi, so I don't get to do it anymore (unless I'm just making it for myself).  I'm not good enough at it to make the funky tempura battered dragon's, or spider rolls (yet!), but I can do regular rolls and inside-out rolls fairly acceptably.

I usually just pick up one small piece of really good tuna and then fixin's for some California Rolls (I try to use the real lump crab instead of the funky imitation crab stick things).  After that, it's not terribly difficult as long as you take your time to prepare and cool the rice correctly.

2014-08-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by flip18436572

Originally posted by jford2309

I just came back form a sushi buffet!  Not sure I will be to productive for the rest of the day.

YUMMMM i am a sushi addict

I never saw it before getting to Vegas, but we have all-u-can-eat sushi places all over.  I'm talking good places too, where each order is hand made on the spot.  Not a buffet that has it all out on ice or something.

Typically $20 - $25 bucks/pp.  SOOOOOOOOO  fun/good!

If any of you get to Vegas, I will be happy to point you in the right direction or take you somewhere...

We just got a place that is only $17 all you can eat fresh to order sushi and it is GOOD.  when i do takeout by myself i easily put away $20 worth....

I NEED to find sushi places in Austin!!!  I think I'm suffering from raw fish withdrawal.  

OK, I have been out of TAN way too long.  When did Monica move to Austin???

Oh yeah, that... Um... I got here July 4th and then promptly left to Atlanta for a week before moving into the current apartment.  

I'm heading back to Chicago on the 28th to get Tony and bring him back with me.   

OK, so I have been out of the loop for way to long.  I have been working on my music and my art too much I guess.  I have a new set of pendants done.  I need to get to actively selling on the proper forum, but I am hardly keeping up with the local demands.  Oh well,  carry on!!!!!!

2014-08-18 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tcarlson78

my own laziness really, i meet all the criteria and even a copy of the PMBOK.  if i would just register for the exam and have the money down for it, I'm sure I'd be more dedicated to studying getting it done.  maybe this will be a good winter/off-season activity.

2014-08-18 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

my own laziness really, i meet all the criteria and even a copy of the PMBOK.  if i would just register for the exam and have the money down for it, I'm sure I'd be more dedicated to studying getting it done.  maybe this will be a good winter/off-season activity.

I did a self study program and it was dry getting through the PMBOK. So I took my time to get through it. In retrospect I should have knocked it out faster. Its straight forward stuff. Just a lot of details and PMI-isms to keep track of and remember to think their way and in part suspend real world experiences. Once I get this done I hope to work on a SIx Sigma cert. Yeah I am a glutton for punishment
2014-08-18 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I did a self study program and it was dry getting through the PMBOK. So I took my time to get through it. In retrospect I should have knocked it out faster. Its straight forward stuff. Just a lot of details and PMI-isms to keep track of and remember to think their way and in part suspend real world experiences. Once I get this done I hope to work on a SIx Sigma cert. Yeah I am a glutton for punishment

I took the 40 hours worth of training as part of my MBA, so the classes are done.  I just have to document my work experience and register for the exam.  So tedious.

2014-08-18 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

I took the 40 hours worth of training as part of my MBA, so the classes are done.  I just have to document my work experience and register for the exam.  So tedious.

I did the application on line and it was not bad. Hardest part was finding past project supervisors. The project summary was short 300-550 characters and the hours were just typed in. That said, I did prepare for an audit so I can validate what I submitted. I got a reply from PMI within a week.
2014-08-18 1:41 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Going to lunch to entertain a job offer...

Should be interesting but it's actually stressful.  I usually don't leave a place for "greener pastures" but tend to be loyal to a place unless it's a bad place to work.  Not sure if that makes sense. 

Basically, I tend to stay unless it get's so bad, I have to leave, instead of leaving a good place for the promise of something better.

It's also hard to say "no" to someone who is interested in you.  Feel like I'm going to let someone down in this, no matter the choice.

2014-08-18 1:47 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Should be interesting but it's actually stressful.  I usually don't leave a place for "greener pastures" but tend to be loyal to a place unless it's a bad place to work.  Not sure if that makes sense. 

Basically, I tend to stay unless it get's so bad, I have to leave, instead of leaving a good place for the promise of something better.

It's also hard to say "no" to someone who is interested in you.  Feel like I'm going to let someone down in this, no matter the choice.

waiting till your desperate is not a great position to be in.  hear out the offer and if it sounds like interesting work, go for it.  life's too short to settle.

2014-08-18 2:02 PM

User image

Pro

Just popping in to say hi! I miss you TANners, but they Army likes to keep me busy

2014-08-18 2:50 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Just popping in to say hi! I miss you TANners, but they Army likes to keep me busy

hi lainey!  where you living now?  how do you like it?

2014-08-18 5:24 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

waiting till your desperate is not a great position to be in.  hear out the offer and if it sounds like interesting work, go for it.  life's too short to settle.

Well, It's almost a no brainer.  With 401k and bonuses?  I can make twice as much as I'm making now...

I figured I would at least get a free lunch out of it and catch up.  Now, as it stands, going to update my resume and continue more in depth conversations to see if what was eluded over lunch is actually offered.  It's a bigger national firm and I see a lot of upside.  Other than working for my old boss I had some deep resentment towards for several years...

2014-08-19 5:50 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

so my husband works for a huge government contractor and his current contract is up at the end of september.  there is very little possibility of this contract or any at our location getting extended.  which is fine, he has PMs from other contracts beating down his door to get on their project.  including the Marine Corps Base in Hawaii.  which sounds awesome, right?  super awesome?  i am so stressed out that I won't be able to find a job there i am near panicking.  i thought i was OK with change and adventure, why is this freaking me out so much???  my experience and strength is in manufacturing, and obviously that doesn't have much of a presence on an expensive island, but i don't want to skip out building my career for 2 years.  uggh ugh ugh ugh.

kido - hawaii is like civil engineer paradise.  you should get in on that :-P

2014-08-19 6:28 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

so my husband works for a huge government contractor and his current contract is up at the end of september.  there is very little possibility of this contract or any at our location getting extended.  which is fine, he has PMs from other contracts beating down his door to get on their project.  including the Marine Corps Base in Hawaii.  which sounds awesome, right?  super awesome?  i am so stressed out that I won't be able to find a job there i am near panicking.  i thought i was OK with change and adventure, why is this freaking me out so much???  my experience and strength is in manufacturing, and obviously that doesn't have much of a presence on an expensive island, but i don't want to skip out building my career for 2 years.  uggh ugh ugh ugh.

Human nature is normally resistant and fearful of change. Is this Hawaii thing for him highly likely ? If not, its worth considering but maybe not worth getting worked up and overly stressed about. I'd say try to approach it as open mindedly as possible. Keep telling yourself change is good, and then weigh the best case worst case scenarios. Worst case you're in Hawaii and maybe your career gets detoured for 2 years. But 2 years also sounds like a perfect window to get a Masters degree or branch out into a new field more suited to the area like real estate or property management or pro surfing.

2014-08-19 10:40 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I heard...  BUT, I also know people from there and there is a certain prejudice against non islanders doing work there.  It's expensive and you get island fever.  But I hear ya, I could EASILY do that for a couple years...  It's so beautiful there.

Also, I hear ya about the stress.  I was restless all night last night thinking about my options.  Even had dreams about it when I DID sleep.  It should be a slam dunk and no brainer, but the not knowing completely what I'm walking into and the thought of breaking it to my current employers when they didn't do anything wrong (except low pay and no 401k, etc) is rough.

I think one nervous thing is that he's building a team for 2016.  So there is just enough  work now to keep people busy, but he wants to be situation in 18 months to be a player in the market.  But if things go not as planned?  HOWEVER, I could say the same thing about this place.  We could dry up when it comes to work.

But man, making 50% more in salary and getting bonuses and 401k contributions?  It's got to happen...

2014-08-19 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

I heard...  BUT, I also know people from there and there is a certain prejudice against non islanders doing work there.  It's expensive and you get island fever.  But I hear ya, I could EASILY do that for a couple years...  It's so beautiful there.

Also, I hear ya about the stress.  I was restless all night last night thinking about my options.  Even had dreams about it when I DID sleep.  It should be a slam dunk and no brainer, but the not knowing completely what I'm walking into and the thought of breaking it to my current employers when they didn't do anything wrong (except low pay and no 401k, etc) is rough.

I think one nervous thing is that he's building a team for 2016.  So there is just enough  work now to keep people busy, but he wants to be situation in 18 months to be a player in the market.  But if things go not as planned?  HOWEVER, I could say the same thing about this place.  We could dry up when it comes to work.

But man, making 50% more in salary and getting bonuses and 401k contributions?  It's got to happen...

Me three on the stress part -- so far I haven't found a full-time gig in Austin. I have a few irons in the fire and am optimistic given my resume, but so far no offers. The good news is I booked a few regular freelance gigs that should pay enough to keep us in the lifestyle to which we've become accustomed. But honestly, guaranteed money is always preferable. I just can't wait to get down there so Monica and I aren't so far apart.

But yes, I don't know if I could live in Hawaii. I can't decide if I'd just love it for the beaches and whatnot or hate it because it's so isolated. But it may be a fun opportunity to take advantage of for a couple years.
2014-08-19 10:49 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by mr2tony

Me three on the stress part -- so far I haven't found a full-time gig in Austin. I have a few irons in the fire and am optimistic given my resume, but so far no offers. The good news is I booked a few regular freelance gigs that should pay enough to keep us in the lifestyle to which we've become accustomed. But honestly, guaranteed money is always preferable. I just can't wait to get down there so Monica and I aren't so far apart. But yes, I don't know if I could live in Hawaii. I can't decide if I'd just love it for the beaches and whatnot or hate it because it's so isolated. But it may be a fun opportunity to take advantage of for a couple years.

if hawaii happens, it's definitely a 2 or 3 year thing.  i have heard the same, of getting burnt out being stranded on the island, but what an adventure it would be.  i get bored of most things in 2 or 3 years anyway!

in 2 hours of job searches i found maybe 3 or 4 that i could fit, 1 or 2 of those that i'd actually like.  nothing that pays relocation so a huge advantage with me already living there (in the future, obvi).  i'm also stressed about prepping the dogs to go to hawaii.  it's apparently a really involved process to get them there, blech.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1638 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1860 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2172 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3821 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.