Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2014-08-19 11:30 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by mr2tony I can't decide if I'd just love it for the beaches and whatnot or hate it because it's so isolated. But it may be a fun opportunity to take advantage of for a couple years.

Yes, yes, and yes!!

Island madness, or whatever you want to call it, is totally real, but you can easily manage it if you just budget trips back to the mainland.  It is also absolutely worth doing even if for just a couple of years.  While I've never been to Hawaii, I have lived in Bermuda.  I'm going back on vacation for the first time in over 20 years, and I can honestly say that I have missed it dearly nearly every single day since I left in 1992, even though I totally "hated" the isolation of living on "that effing rock" while I was there.

I think one of the secrets to managing "island madness" is simply remembering to have gratitude for where you are at, the beauty that surrounds you, getting out and being a part of it, and then taking an annual break from it.. a vacation to the mainland.

2014-08-19 3:45 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I got nothing...

2014-08-19 3:47 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

I got nothing...

MULTI-POST

you know you want to

2014-08-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Kido take the job.  trust me you need to do what is best for you. Double salary and 401K?  DO IT.  This is my perspective.  I used to have my own business/practice.  I had a partner who left my high and dry and put me in a miserable financial position which 3.5 years later and a LOT of $$$ later I am still digging out of.  I was making the bottom 1% income for my specialty barely scraping by.  I was not able to take ANY money home at times. One of the big reasons I continued to struggle was my employees.  I felt really guilty that if I left despite my own personal financial struggles I would leave 4 people out of work.  Then my office manager quit out of the blue. The same day my xray tech came to me and said she was going to quit because she didn't like working with the office manage who had just quit.  Look out for yourself because no one else is.  Another one..my friend is an ER doc and recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  A bad one. She is a single mother.  She goes to her boss and tells him she needs surgery and a year of chemo etc.  What does he say???Who is going to cover your shifts?  Take care of yourself no one else will

Meh embrace the adventure. 

2014-08-20 9:50 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Regular
Madrid
Originally posted by Socks

Kido take the job.  trust me you need to do what is best for you. Double salary and 401K?  DO IT.  This is my perspective.  I used to have my own business/practice.  I had a partner who left my high and dry and put me in a miserable financial position which 3.5 years later and a LOT of $$$ later I am still digging out of.  I was making the bottom 1% income for my specialty barely scraping by.  I was not able to take ANY money home at times. One of the big reasons I continued to struggle was my employees.  I felt really guilty that if I left despite my own personal financial struggles I would leave 4 people out of work.  Then my office manager quit out of the blue. The same day my xray tech came to me and said she was going to quit because she didn't like working with the office manage who had just quit.  Look out for yourself because no one else is.  Another one..my friend is an ER doc and recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  A bad one. She is a single mother.  She goes to her boss and tells him she needs surgery and a year of chemo etc.  What does he say???Who is going to cover your shifts?  Take care of yourself no one else will

Meh embrace the adventure. 

Agree, agree, and agree. Cliche but life is a journey, not a destination.
2014-08-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Just a drive-by.

Happy Friday Eve, errbody!

2014-08-22 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

GOOOODDDD MMOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRNNNNNIINNNNNNGGGGG   TTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!

Ok, I am outta here and back to work.

2014-08-22 11:58 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

trying to install new pedals on the bike and the old ones are SUPER STUCK.  help.

2014-08-22 12:23 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mehaner

trying to install new pedals on the bike and the old ones are SUPER STUCK.  help.

Remember one is reverse threaded - "back off".

Let some WD40 soak in.

A pipe slipped over the end of an adjustable wrench for more torque/leverage.

Let a MAN do it! 

2014-08-22 1:51 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have to take mine to the bike shop errrrrrry time. 

BTW I have your chicken salsa recipe in the crock pot as we speak. It better not suck.

2014-08-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Today was an exhausting day, kind of glad this Friday is over. It has been really sad.

2014-08-22 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

BTW I have your chicken salsa recipe in the crock pot as we speak. It better not suck.

now i'm skerred.  so much pressure.

2014-08-23 1:27 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

It was so freaking GOOD! I used green salsa and threw in a can of drained black beans when I got home. In corn tortillas last night, might be over rice tonight! Thanks for the easy recipe!

2014-08-24 1:55 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

It was so freaking GOOD! I used green salsa and threw in a can of drained black beans when I got home. In corn tortillas last night, might be over rice tonight! Thanks for the easy recipe!

i love that it's literally zero work, and i ALWAYS have chicken and salsa around the house so i never have an excuse to not have a healthy dinner.

2014-08-24 12:52 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I think you could say I'm bored...mentally more than anything. I made about 10 dozen cupcakes for my niece's wedding yesterday and that's done. Decided not to do the tri next weekend but going to focus on "running" and aim for half marathon in March. (Probably should do a 10K along the way...)

I'm not looking up cake recipes and ideas so I jumped into TAN (it's been a few years...)

Meh & LisaC - I think I know the crockpot recipe...can add some lime juice, too! (Unless it already does.) The concentrate stuff would probably be fine in a crockpot.

Meh - IF Hawaii happens, I say do your best to embrace it. Get everything settled and maybe enjoy a period of time of not working. (A few weeks??) If it's not financially necessary than enjoy some island hopping, maybe?? PLUS! Make sure to have at least one guest bedroom for your visitors. :-D

Kido - I agree. Loyalty is important...but so is providing good opportunities for yourself. There is always the idea to tell current employer about offer and see what they do!?!?

2014-08-25 7:31 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

So I went to the pool a bit early and at a time I typically do not swim.  There is a woman in the next lane swimming with only one arm.  She is clearly disabled, legs do not work dragging her right arm.  I stopped and talked to her at one point. She was injured in the military and had a spinal cord injury.  She is training for a half IM powered by ONE ARM. I will never complain about my body again.  What is your excuse???

2014-08-26 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Tomorrow is hump day then almost the labor day holiday yaaaaa. I hope everyone is have a nice week. I rode after work, tough ride all of the riders are in elite riding groups and race. I hung on about half the ride. Am I making excuses? I still had fun. Until the weekend.........

Oh Thursday night starts college football.
2014-08-27 4:16 PM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

MY JERK SISTER MIGHT GO ON AND HAVE HER BABY WHILE I'M IN ITALY!  NOT OK!

2014-08-27 5:31 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Socks

So I went to the pool a bit early and at a time I typically do not swim.  There is a woman in the next lane swimming with only one arm.  She is clearly disabled, legs do not work dragging her right arm.  I stopped and talked to her at one point. She was injured in the military and had a spinal cord injury.  She is training for a half IM powered by ONE ARM. I will never complain about my body again.  What is your excuse???

So. Freaking. Cool!

That's real inspiration right there.  If you see her again, tell her to hook up with Team RWB if she hasn't already.   Love seeing all the para-athletes get out there, especially the visually impaired.

2014-08-27 5:33 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

MY JERK SISTER MIGHT GO ON AND HAVE HER BABY WHILE I'M IN ITALY!  NOT OK!

That's just rude of her!  Tell her to put a cork in it... she does know that it's not all about her, right??

I wouldn't offer to bring back any good wine or cheese for her.

2014-08-27 5:38 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

3rd in a row. W00T!

Only new things with me is that my oldest brother was admitted to the hospital last night with inflamed abdominal lymph nodes.  They're current;y hoping that it's just a horrifically bad infection, but words like "lymphoma" and "colon cancer" have gotten tossed around as possibilities along with gall bladder.  I didn't find out much of anything until late last night, so my sleep was turrible and I've been a zombie all day.  He's in good spirits though a ton of pain... morphine wasn't cutting it so they hooked him up with a little dilaudid at like 3am.    CT scan & ultrasound all came back clear, so far... waiting sucks.

In the world of good news, an old friend got his picture taken with Bowser from Sha-na-na.  That's pretty awesome. I'm envious.

2014-08-28 12:50 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by cgregg

3rd in a row. W00T!

I call this "pulling a Kido"

also...hope things turn out OK for your bro...yikes

2014-08-28 6:40 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

3rd in a row. W00T!

Wait you're in Hawaii or Italy ? Or both ? Or neither ?
2014-08-28 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by gr33n

3rd in a row. W00T!

i am in italy for work, with the possibility of moving to hawaii at the end of this year.  capiti?

2014-08-28 7:48 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Originally posted by gr33n

3rd in a row. W00T!

i am in italy for work, with the possibility of moving to hawaii at the end of this year.  capiti?

Got it. Gather no moss.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1633 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2117 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1856 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2167 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3813 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.