Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2014-10-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

what was the last book you read?  what is next?

i just finished "glue" by irvine welsh - awesome, but written in scottish brogue so takes a while to decipher.  currently working on "sharp objects" by gillian flynn per lisa and elaine's recommendation that it is creepy as heck.

2014-10-08 12:08 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mehaner

Last book: Dark Places 
Current book: Big Little Lies. It was recommended by a co-worker but I just can't get into it. I really don't care what happens next. 
Next book: Sharp Objects. Gearing up for this mentally!

2014-10-08 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I'm reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series.  Currently on book 2 (of 7).

After these, then next up is the 'Wheel of Time' series.

2014-10-08 12:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Left Brain

My kid won a Rudy Project tri bag at some race......and I stole it.  It has more pockets for camera/laptop/personal gear than you can imagine.  It's the newest model, but I'll need to look at it tonight to tell you what it's called.....it's the Rudy triasthlon bag that is a back pack.  Check it out for what you need.,.....it's badass.

I'm thinking about building my own system around a bag like that.  Maybe neoprene cases around equipment and store it in a tri bag.

My objective is to have a bag with easy access to camera gear that's also very padded/protected.  I'm no pro so only have middle of the road equipment and my current kit is already at about 4k worth of stuff.  Body, 4 lenses and a flash...  Add in the laptop? 

There are plenty of bags that have that, BUT that's all they carry.  Also wanted some extra space for couple water bottles, some clothing layers, sunscreen, etc.  Good for a hike or traveling and doing street photography. 

2014-10-08 12:16 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm currently slogging though Game of Thrones.

But also reading photography books.  How to's and techniques and such.  Page through some of Stephen Hawking's books on occasion as well.

Well, off to get a root canal.  Sad, but have to do it.  Failed filling from 20 years ago...  First root canal ever, so not sure what to expect.  I figure they are pretty bad.  Sucks I have to do it...  Getting old I suppose.

2014-10-08 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

kind of cool idea for a local race coming up:

http://www.rrrc.org/events/impossible-5k-finish-before-you-start?utm_source=October+2014&utm_campaign=October+2014&utm_medium=email

you finish before you start because you start the race right before the clocks get set back for daylight savings (1:50 am) so you finish at say...1:20 am.  

2014-10-08 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

i just finished "glue" by irvine welsh - awesome, but written in scottish brogue so takes a while to decipher.  currently working on "sharp objects" by gillian flynn per lisa and elaine's recommendation that it is creepy as heck.

Hi TAN, 

I love books,

Last book: audio book of 'Top Secret 21' by Janet Evanovich. It's the 21st book in the series - light and fluffy, I know what to expect, usually funny.  And it was

In progress: another series - i won't make it through before it expires from the library - 'Written in my own Heart's Blood' by Diana Gabaldon - these are very long books and since I started bike commuting to work instead of taking the subway I have less reading time

Next: 'The War That Ended Peace' by Margaret MacMillan - she wrote the book 'Paris 1918' about the Treaty of Versailles and it was excellent. Lots of context on the first world war and the resulting geopolitics.  This book is really the precurser.  Interested to read.  Nice departure from the series' and fiction i've been reading. 

2014-10-08 1:25 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

kind of cool idea for a local race coming up:

http://www.rrrc.org/events/impossible-5k-finish-before-you-start?utm_source=October+2014&utm_campaign=October+2014&utm_medium=email

you finish before you start because you start the race right before the clocks get set back for daylight savings (1:50 am) so you finish at say...1:20 am.  

That's a pretty fun idea!

I think I might pass the idea onto a RD friend of mine to see if he can do one up here.

2014-10-08 1:26 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by juniperjen

Last book: audio book of 'Top Secret 21' by Janet Evanovich.

Does it have anything to do with the epic movie 'Top Secret' from the 80's with Val Kilmer?

LOVE that movie!

2014-10-08 1:49 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by cgregg

Does it have anything to do with the epic movie 'Top Secret' from the 80's with Val Kilmer?

LOVE that movie!

Not at all! hahaha - it's sort of comedic chick-lit around a female bounty hunter.

Can't say i've seen the movie you speak of ... epic? Worth a watch or keep in the vault? 

2014-10-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Elite
Cleveland

LOVE that movie!

Not at all! hahaha - it's sort of comedic chick-lit around a female bounty hunter.

Can't say i've seen the movie you speak of ... epic? Worth a watch or keep in the vault? 

I'll let you decide, but as a devout lover of slapstick, I'd say it's worth a watch

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088286/

2014-10-08 9:47 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Last book I read was The Immortal Circus, Girl on a Wire & The Paper Magician... yes, I tend to read a bunch of books at once. 

Currently reading:  The Immortal Circus (Book II), re-reading Voyager (book 3 in the Outlander series), and just bought Dark Places which I can't wait to start! 

2014-10-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

wake up y'all it's FRIDAY!

i forgot to call my nana and wish her a happy birthday yesterday, am i a horrible person?  can i make it up by calling today?

2014-10-10 11:00 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I recorded the crossfit games that are showing over the next few nights and watched the women's division...

It looks cool and all, and I'm sure you get super fit.  But honestly, if the people that are in the championship are what the sport holds up as examples of what you become/look like then I guess it's not for me.  Seems to be pushing into the body building genre of fitness.  They all look like gymnasts that packed on 30 lbs.

The women are all really short and very stocky.  As are the men.  Watching them run and swim (save a couple exceptions) looks painful and muscle bound to me.

It's great for some people, but probably not for me... 

2014-10-10 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

I recorded the crossfit games that are showing over the next few nights and watched the women's division...

It looks cool and all, and I'm sure you get super fit.  But honestly, if the people that are in the championship are what the sport holds up as examples of what you become/look like then I guess it's not for me.  Seems to be pushing into the body building genre of fitness.  They all look like gymnasts that packed on 30 lbs.

The women are all really short and very stocky.  As are the men.  Watching them run and swim (save a couple exceptions) looks painful and muscle bound to me.

i saw pics of the "underwear run" at kona online last night and thought THAT body type looked gross to me.  i like everything in moderation, including my muscularity and body fat percentage.

2014-10-10 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Yaaaaay Friday!

Drat, got distracted by work before I could come up with something to post...

2014-10-10 12:06 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

i saw pics of the "underwear run" at kona online last night and thought THAT body type looked gross to me.  i like everything in moderation, including my muscularity and body fat percentage.

Nice...spoken with the bodybuilder aesthetic mentality. I appreciate
Most eventual high level cross fit folk are right smack in the middle of that mesomorphic genetic potential which is just going to lead to more and more thickness and little to no shape and aesthetic. I wish the women in my gym who get caught up in the fad realize they're going to hate their hips/thighs and waist as time advances (unless that's what they are shooting for, but many follow blindly)
2014-10-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Cleveland

It's Friday.. I'm sleeeeepy. Need moar cofffeee!

As of tomorrow, I'm down to only two weeks until my last (and only my 4th!) race of the season at Beach2Battleship.  Whereas I pretty much didn't train for it last year, this year I've been training since February and I couldn't be more excited that it's almost over with!

The fiancee and I are taking the kids to Cedar Point tomorrow for the last time this year... gotta get it in before the park closes for good Nov 2nd.  Should be fun as the park is all done up for HalloWeekends... amusement park meets haunted houses

Edited by cgregg 2014-10-10 1:03 PM
2014-10-10 1:12 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

As of tomorrow, I'm down to only two weeks until my last (and only my 4th!) race of the season at Beach2Battleship.  Whereas I pretty much didn't train for it last year, this year I've been training since February and I couldn't be more excited that it's almost over with!

The fiancee and I are taking the kids to Cedar Point tomorrow for the last time this year... gotta get it in before the park closes for good Nov 2nd.  Should be fun as the park is all done up for HalloWeekends... amusement park meets haunted houses

we are doing that at busch gardens this weekend - they call it "howl-o-scream"

2014-10-10 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

we are doing that at busch gardens this weekend - they call it "howl-o-scream"

Every year Knott's Berry Farm (in Buena Park, CA) gets decorated for Halloween and has special "Knott's Scary Farm" evenings on the weekends with extra costumed spooky-ness.

2014-10-10 4:20 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I rather enjoyed the pics of the guys... but the girls (and trust me I appreciate a woman's body) not so much. 

2014-10-10 6:36 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Just finished "Open water swimming manual" by Lynne cox, and now I'm in the middle of "The worst journey in the world" (about Scott's failed expedition to the south pole, written by one of the few survivors), and "Grapes of Wrath". So you know, the uplifting light hearted comedy stuff. I've been trying to read on the bus to make my commuting time seem slightly more meaningful but it's so distracting..

2014-10-11 1:12 PM

User image

Pro

Last book: The Damned Engineers - about army engineers during a winter German offensive in WWIICurrent book: Pineapple Grenade - I find Tim Dorsey to be hilariousNext: ?
2014-10-11 9:42 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Hello TAN, how you all doing?? I've started coaching highschool rowers and I'm having a blast!!
2014-10-12 7:25 AM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by trinnas Hello TAN, how you all doing?? I've started coaching highschool rowers and I'm having a blast!!

good for you - i find high schoolers impossible to deal with, especially in big groups!  :-P

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1635 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1858 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2168 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3815 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.