in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by flip18436572

How awesome for Friday to be 8 degrees to start the day and to find out it is supposed to snow on Saturday.  Loving southwest Iowa.  :-)

Same here but only trace to 2". Space heaters are my friends.

Cold front in FL....its below 70.  All the old folks have their fleece on!! 

Highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s in Arizona.

I left Missouri when it was 20 degrees with light snow.

It feels great here

I'm in Los Angeles for a couple of weeks.  Highs in the 70's lows in the 50's also.  Unfortunately, I have a cold so I've not been enjoying the weather.

TW

2014-11-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

If you see a news report of a person being dropped off of a tall building in Chicago, it is me throwing one of our finance guys off of the Sears Tower.  Slimy little SOB copied 1/2 the IT department on an email about costing (which they have absolutely nothing to do with) that makes me look like an idiot. The little effer won't make a decision and always wants someone else to make a decision so that he will never look bad.  

2014-11-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by crowny2

If you see a news report of a person being dropped off of a tall building in Chicago, it is me throwing one of our finance guys off of the Sears Tower.  Slimy little SOB copied 1/2 the IT department on an email about costing (which they have absolutely nothing to do with) that makes me look like an idiot. The little effer won't make a decision and always wants someone else to make a decision so that he will never look bad.  

Just give a shout if you need a hand.  I despise people like that.

I have a new coworker named Ragu (he's Indian - dot, not feather).

Since learning his name, I have Laverne & Shirley stuck in my head and want to call him "The Big Ragu".

2014-11-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by cgregg

Since learning his name, I have Laverne & Shirley stuck in my head and want to call him "The Big Ragu".

LOL thats funny

2014-11-17 2:05 PM

User image

Champion

Interestingly enough, this coworker of mine is also Indian (dot not feather) but that has nothing to do with him driving me crazy!!!

2014-11-17 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Interestingly enough, this coworker of mine is also Indian (dot not feather) but that has nothing to do with him driving me crazy!!!

It has nothing to do with anything here, either, except to explain the very uncommon name.

I vote that you should henceforth call him 'Squiggy'.

2014-11-18 8:34 AM

User image

Champion

It has nothing to do with anything here, either, except to explain the very uncommon name.

HA!

2014-11-18 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

HA!

The guy sounds like a total a$$hat, and I double-dog-dare you to start calling him Squiggy!  

2014-11-18 7:35 PM
in reply to: trmat79

User image

Elite

I am currently in CA.  Along with my wife, we are helping our daughter and son-in-law acclimate to being new parents.  It is a nice way to get to enjoy California weather while Tennessee dips into frigid and snowy conditions.  Everyone here is doing very well.  Since both mother and father of the child get generous maternal leave, we are basically having a family party.  A certain baby is being rocked and cuddled virtually 24 hours a day to be sure but because there are 4 of us focusing on the task, books are also getting read, runs and walks are being taken, and many stories of the childhood of one of the three most wonderful daughters ever are being told to her husband.  Life is good.  I am glad I retired a bit early.  Otherwise I would be working while JWKMH alone got to do this most satisfying of parental duties, helping new parents adapt to their new roles.

Have I mentioned that I love children?

TW 

2014-11-19 8:35 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

HA!

The guy sounds like a total a$$hat, and I double-dog-dare you to start calling him Squiggy!  

Thing is, he was wrong, and he has yet to apologize on the email.  He admitted to me he was wrong but not to everyone else who had absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

Funny thing was, I was in the lunch room not too long after the initial incident and one of the other people in the finance department asked how I liked working with him.  I couldn't think of something fast enough to say and after about 2-3 seconds she said "that's what I thought".  HA!

2014-11-19 11:41 AM

User image

Elite

HA!

Thing is, he was wrong, and he has yet to apologize on the email.  He admitted to me he was wrong but not to everyone else who had absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

Funny thing was, I was in the lunch room not too long after the initial incident and one of the other people in the finance department asked how I liked working with him.  I couldn't think of something fast enough to say and after about 2-3 seconds she said "that's what I thought".  HA!

Did he say he was wrong in what he said or wrong to send a broad distribution email or both? I hope he realizes he was wrong both ways. The worse is obviously the huge email. Is the guy malicious or just inept at corporate etiquette? Can you help him become a better employee or is he beyond help? I hate to see situations. I had something similar. Bosses called a meeting to resolve the issue. It was a simple mathematical issue where right and wrong were easy to prove. At the meeting I did what I thought was right. I crushed the guy. This began a downward spiral for this person. He had a couple of more run-ins with people at work and got himself fired. His wife left him, too. I assume it was probably a consequence. He was a hot head and pretty hard to help. Looking back I wish I had done my part differently.

2014-11-19 12:24 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by tech_geezer

HA!

Did he say he was wrong in what he said or wrong to send a broad distribution email or both? I hope he realizes he was wrong both ways. The worse is obviously the huge email. Is the guy malicious or just inept at corporate etiquette? Can you help him become a better employee or is he beyond help? I hate to see situations. I had something similar. Bosses called a meeting to resolve the issue. It was a simple mathematical issue where right and wrong were easy to prove. At the meeting I did what I thought was right. I crushed the guy. This began a downward spiral for this person. He had a couple of more run-ins with people at work and got himself fired. His wife left him, too. I assume it was probably a consequence. He was a hot head and pretty hard to help. Looking back I wish I had done my part differently.

Only what he said, not the email.  He is not malicious at all, he is absolutely clueless at etiquette.  And he is beyond my help.  

2014-11-20 10:20 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

In situations like that I have been known to reply with "I think your distribution is a bit wide" - that usually sparks an aha moment. But not always.

2014-11-20 12:20 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion

In situations like that I have been known to reply with "I think your distribution is a bit wide" - that usually sparks an aha moment. But not always.

I love that.  I might have to use that.  

2014-11-23 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Early Happy Thanksgiving TAN. Taking most of week off enjoying Austin weather, planning bike rides, runs and stress reducing activities.

I make my special sausage dressing for T-Day,
Anyone have any special recipes for a good dressing? I like to make a few different kinds.

Deer sausage or pork breakfast sausage, turkey pan drippings, cornbread and biscuit stuffing, bell peppers, celery, onions, garlic, eggs, sage, walnuts, olive oil and other items in fridge.
bake in a 8 by 12 pan until brown. yummy......open to suggestions
2014-11-23 12:03 PM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Elite
An interesting Thanksgiving is in store for us. Since before my wife and I were married-way more than 40 years, midday Thanksgiving meal has been prepared by my wife's mother, exactly the same menu, cooked perfectly, and served to all the descendants and their spouses or whatever. It is a huge meal for 30 or so people. As years have gone by, it has become the only meal she cooks all year. The problem is that while Mom's memory is fading fast, her sense of being in charge has not. Last year, the daughters filled in subtly. This year will require much more overt help. The problem is that the recipes have never been written down. The daughters have never cooked a turkey or any of the trimmings. Some serious research is going on to find recipes that are close. The meal is such a family ritual that authenticity is paramount. Also, strategies to distract and get Mom to sit and supervise are actively being plotted. It is a changing of the guard. We have to be prepared for anything. It will be a bit sad but also a good and healthy family rite of passage. The in-laws have always done difficult things very well.

2014-11-24 9:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by tech_geezer An interesting Thanksgiving is in store for us. Since before my wife and I were married-way more than 40 years, midday Thanksgiving meal has been prepared by my wife's mother, exactly the same menu, cooked perfectly, and served to all the descendants and their spouses or whatever. It is a huge meal for 30 or so people. As years have gone by, it has become the only meal she cooks all year. The problem is that while Mom's memory is fading fast, her sense of being in charge has not. Last year, the daughters filled in subtly. This year will require much more overt help. The problem is that the recipes have never been written down. The daughters have never cooked a turkey or any of the trimmings. Some serious research is going on to find recipes that are close. The meal is such a family ritual that authenticity is paramount. Also, strategies to distract and get Mom to sit and supervise are actively being plotted. It is a changing of the guard. We have to be prepared for anything. It will be a bit sad but also a good and healthy family rite of passage. The in-laws have always done difficult things very well.

The changing of the guard is slowly happening in my family as well. It's just my grandma, mom and me so as my grandmother ages we've slowly been doing more and more each year. 2 years ago she was recovering from knee surgery so physically couldn't be on her feet - so it was an easy excuse for us to say "we'll take care of everything" while she sat in the kitchen and chatted with us. Last year it was just kind of like "Here's your glass of wine grandma - we got this!" while asking for a specific measurement here or there. 

My family also has to have the exact same recipes and dishes every year - I've lobbied for about a decade to do something different to the mashed potatoes but have been overruled every time. This year I just told my mom I'm bringing a sweet potato dish because it sounded good - no issues . We've NEVER had a sweet potato dish at Thanksgiving, crazy huh.

2014-11-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite

Originally posted by tech_geezer An interesting Thanksgiving is in store for us. Since before my wife and I were married-way more than 40 years, midday Thanksgiving meal has been prepared by my wife's mother, exactly the same menu, cooked perfectly, and served to all the descendants and their spouses or whatever. It is a huge meal for 30 or so people. As years have gone by, it has become the only meal she cooks all year. The problem is that while Mom's memory is fading fast, her sense of being in charge has not. Last year, the daughters filled in subtly. This year will require much more overt help. The problem is that the recipes have never been written down. The daughters have never cooked a turkey or any of the trimmings. Some serious research is going on to find recipes that are close. The meal is such a family ritual that authenticity is paramount. Also, strategies to distract and get Mom to sit and supervise are actively being plotted. It is a changing of the guard. We have to be prepared for anything. It will be a bit sad but also a good and healthy family rite of passage. The in-laws have always done difficult things very well.

The changing of the guard is slowly happening in my family as well. It's just my grandma, mom and me so as my grandmother ages we've slowly been doing more and more each year. 2 years ago she was recovering from knee surgery so physically couldn't be on her feet - so it was an easy excuse for us to say "we'll take care of everything" while she sat in the kitchen and chatted with us. Last year it was just kind of like "Here's your glass of wine grandma - we got this!" while asking for a specific measurement here or there. 

My family also has to have the exact same recipes and dishes every year - I've lobbied for about a decade to do something different to the mashed potatoes but have been overruled every time. This year I just told my mom I'm bringing a sweet potato dish because it sounded good - no issues . We've NEVER had a sweet potato dish at Thanksgiving, crazy huh.

Start a revolution. Slip in a gluten-free pumpkin pie. Happy Thanksgiving.
2014-11-24 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

We are SO not rigid about thanksgiving or even Christmas meals.  Actually we often have baked stuffed chicken breast for thanksgiving instead of turkey. No special family recipes or anything.  My cousins birthday is 12/25 so he always got to pick what we ate for Christmas dinner, so usually it was pizza or spaghetti or something like that. 

2014-11-24 3:56 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Socks

We are SO not rigid about thanksgiving or even Christmas meals.  Actually we often have baked stuffed chicken breast for thanksgiving instead of turkey. No special family recipes or anything.  My cousins birthday is 12/25 so he always got to pick what we ate for Christmas dinner, so usually it was pizza or spaghetti or something like that. 

Nana makes the turkey and stuffing. She used to make much more, but as she gets older, it's much easier for her to manage just the two (well, three. Oyster stuffing and regular stuffing!) Everything else - sides, desserts - varies year to year.

Christmas is awesome. On the 24th, the family gets together for appetizers and wine. Like, enough appetizers to count as lunch and dinner for the day. Food & location vary, but it's been at my sister's house since she had her first kid. On the 25th, we usually head wherever we are invited.

2014-11-25 2:14 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion

We are going completely off the reservation for Thanksgiving this year and making shawarma along with hummus, tabouleh, falafel and a bunch of other middle eastern stuff.  Picked up a 10lb lamb leg for the shawarma super cheap at a Palestinian grocer.  Should be interesting.  

2014-11-25 2:36 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

That sounds pretty awesome, actually.  I enjoy going all non-traditional on holidays every so often, but the traditions are always nice to return to.  I think breaking away from them renews the fondness and nostalgia for them.  Christmas Eve's with my mom were usually done this way.

I *love* leg of lamb.  

It's one of those things that I could make once a month and never get tired of it.  The recipe I use makes use of a wet rub of butter, bacon, mint leaves, burgundy, garlic, salt & pepper.  Just score the fat about 1/4" deep every 1", cross-hatched pattern, then rub that mixture all over it and roast in the oven, fat side up, at @325 for about 30-35mins per pound.

My grandfather started making Easter lamb that way when I was like 5 years old, and pretty much the entire family had annual withdrawals when we don't have it.

2014-11-25 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

apparently there is such a thing as too much queso.  feeling like a crap sandwich right now!

2014-11-25 4:15 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by mehaner

apparently there is such a thing as too much queso.  feeling like a crap sandwich right now!

that has to be a LOT of queso.

2014-11-25 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
My wife's family had a pretty crazy separation (read: detonation) when her mom left her dad 4 years ago. My wife, 21 at the time, made her first thanksgiving dinner by herself that year. She loves traditions so has pretty much decided that she would create her own traditions for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This means both meals are at my house every year now. Luckily my family is pretty flexible and comes over for the big meals. Also, thankfully, my wife is an amazing cook! Thanksgiving meal is pretty much traditional fare.

For Christmas dinner she decided she would do "Feliz Navidad" theme that first year and it was a major hit. All of my family and her aunts and uncles and some cousins came over and it was wonderful. Now we have Mexican carnitas (roasted pork) for Christmas every year. Plus an amazing homemade hot chocolate bar with white, milk, and dark hot chocolate and all the airplane bottles of booze you could imagine to spike it with and a plethora of toppings! The entire house turns into a Mexican themed fiesta. I love it!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1633 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2119 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1856 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2167 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3813 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.