Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2014-11-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by Bradleykd My wife's family had a pretty crazy separation (read: detonation) when her mom left her dad 4 years ago. My wife, 21 at the time, made her first thanksgiving dinner by herself that year. She loves traditions so has pretty much decided that she would create her own traditions for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This means both meals are at my house every year now. Luckily my family is pretty flexible and comes over for the big meals. Also, thankfully, my wife is an amazing cook! Thanksgiving meal is pretty much traditional fare. For Christmas dinner she decided she would do "Feliz Navidad" theme that first year and it was a major hit. All of my family and her aunts and uncles and some cousins came over and it was wonderful. Now we have Mexican carnitas (roasted pork) for Christmas every year. Plus an amazing homemade hot chocolate bar with white, milk, and dark hot chocolate and all the airplane bottles of booze you could imagine to spike it with and a plethora of toppings! The entire house turns into a Mexican themed fiesta. I love it!

i am TOTALLY stealing the feliz navidad idea for my first christmas in texas, this is brilliant.

my husband and i do thanksgiving day and christmas day with just the 2 of us instead of choosing one or the other family.  we like it that way.  however we are doing thanksgiving with my family this year because of the impending move to texas.  we've said goodbye to all of his family but not mine.  food is traditional and bland but i love it because i still sit at the kids table and my cousins are awesome, and the food just brings me back.  when i cooked turkey day for the 2 of us last year it was traditional items but more flavorful recipes.  my family is scared of salt and seasoning for some reason.

2014-11-26 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Hey I'm from KY. Bourbon County. Went to UK. Living in TX now. Go blue. Think any body will come close. The Kansas game was a blow out.

Thanksgiving in TX you can get a regular uncooked turkey, baked turkey, smoked turkey, fried turkey, Cajun spiced fried turkey, turkducken, organic,and some type of veggie turkey at the stores. I was in a dilemma, with the crowds I did not want to make a hasty decision. Got the regular uncooked.

Fried

Well going for bike and run today since I already had a piece of this pecan pie I got in Fredricksburg. Wow it was good. Warm with some vanilla ice-cream. Wife yelled at me but I caught her getting a piece this morning. She will deny it to the kids but I got a pic.

Happy Turkey Day Tan.
2014-11-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Austin
Hey moving to TX. Have you heard of an access or feeder road yet. Ha Ha! After you live here a little while you will wonder how you ever drove without them. When we first move to TX both the wife and I said a few cuss words learning how to exit and stay on the feeder.

Welcome to TX
2014-11-26 3:53 PM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Happy early turkey day for those TAN'ers who celebrate!

2014-11-26 5:44 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! Its not the food you eat its the company you keep.  Trying to get to my fiancé.  I really do have the worst travel karma

2014-11-27 8:27 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Socks

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! Its not the food you eat its the company you keep.  Trying to get to my fiancé.  I really do have the worst travel karma

Good luck!

Happy Thanksgiving, TAN!

2014-12-01 7:56 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by mehaner

i am TOTALLY stealing the feliz navidad idea for my first christmas in texas, this is brilliant.

Tamales are a traditional Christmas meal in Texas.  They are a PITA to make, but you can find them all over for about $10/doz.  Welcome to Texas!

2014-12-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Hook'em

Tamales are a traditional Christmas meal in Texas.  They are a PITA to make, but you can find them all over for about $10/doz.  Welcome to Texas!

YESSSSSSSSS

2014-12-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by crowny2

We are going completely off the reservation for Thanksgiving this year and making shawarma along with hummus, tabouleh, falafel and a bunch of other middle eastern stuff.  Picked up a 10lb lamb leg for the shawarma super cheap at a Palestinian grocer.  Should be interesting.  

The shawarma was awesome!  The house still smelled of the spices a few days later.  DELICIOUS!

2014-12-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Elite
Cleveland

We are going completely off the reservation for Thanksgiving this year and making shawarma along with hummus, tabouleh, falafel and a bunch of other middle eastern stuff.  Picked up a 10lb lamb leg for the shawarma super cheap at a Palestinian grocer.  Should be interesting.  

The shawarma was awesome!  The house still smelled of the spices a few days later.  DELICIOUS!

envious!

Made buttermilk fried chicken last night... all the good noms with plenty of leftovers for lunch and dinner today.

2014-12-02 6:28 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

made a spaghetti squash lasagna recipe i found on pinterest last night....soooooo good!

2014-12-02 9:13 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

made a spaghetti squash lasagna recipe i found on pinterest last night....soooooo good!

I shall have to find that pin - I can never get spaghetti squash to not be "crunchy" - how long did you cook it??

I forgot to put my pot roast in the crock pot this morning! 

2014-12-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

I shall have to find that pin - I can never get spaghetti squash to not be "crunchy" - how long did you cook it??

I forgot to put my pot roast in the crock pot this morning! 

one hour just roasting the squash, and then you put it in another 20 minutes with the sauce and cheese.  it was still crunchy but i like it crunchy.

2014-12-02 11:37 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

ooooh, that sounds good.  Love me some spaghetti squash.

Actually, I like pretty much any kinds of squash.  Need to make some butternut squash soup soon.... cold weather is perfect for that sort of thing.

2014-12-02 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by cgregg

Actually, I like pretty much any kinds of squash.  Need to make some butternut squash soup soon.... cold weather is perfect for that sort of thing.

love roasted butternut squash.  also had acorn squash on the grill the first time ever earlier this year, that was amazing too.

2014-12-02 12:52 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by cgregg

love roasted butternut squash.  also had acorn squash on the grill the first time ever earlier this year, that was amazing too.

Not sure that I've ever tried acorn squash... well, I should say that I'm sure that I have, but I don't remember it at all.

Just dug up my roasted butternut & leek soup recipe... it is now on the list to make this week!

2014-12-02 3:03 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

the internet is doing a terrible job of entertaining me at work today

2014-12-02 4:51 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I can never get spaghetti squash to not be "crunchy" - how long did you cook it??

If you just want the squash, I've had good luck cutting it in half and putting a pad of butter in the middle, then covering it with cling-wrap and microwaving the half for about 7 minutes (I think). Then you can scrape it out with a fork and season it, mmm mmm good. I know microwaving isn't the fanciest of cooking methods, but it makes about the best spaghetti squash I've had!
2014-12-03 8:57 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Bradleykd
Originally posted by lisac957 I can never get spaghetti squash to not be "crunchy" - how long did you cook it??
If you just want the squash, I've had good luck cutting it in half and putting a pad of butter in the middle, then covering it with cling-wrap and microwaving the half for about 7 minutes (I think). Then you can scrape it out with a fork and season it, mmm mmm good. I know microwaving isn't the fanciest of cooking methods, but it makes about the best spaghetti squash I've had!

Hmm I am trying to not use a microwave, is it soft when you do this? Soft like noodles?
I can roast for 75 minutes with olive oil inside and still super crunchy. I've even tried cut side down, cut side up, wrapped in foil, naked -- I've even let it simmer in a sauce for a while after I scrape it out -- it's always crunchy. 

Happy hump day friends!

2014-12-03 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957 I can never get spaghetti squash to not be "crunchy" - how long did you cook it??

Hmm I am trying to not use a microwave, is it soft when you do this? Soft like noodles?
I can roast for 75 minutes with olive oil inside and still super crunchy. I've even tried cut side down, cut side up, wrapped in foil, naked -- I've even let it simmer in a sauce for a while after I scrape it out -- it's always crunchy. 

Happy hump day friends!

I usually microwave too.  I don't love microwaving as cooking method but it's way faster and I don't find the results in the oven better such that i would take the extra time.  You won't get any caramelization or crust but I cut it in half and put both sides cut side down on a wet paper towel-lined plate and microwave for about 10 mins.  Works like a charm. 

2014-12-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

guys i'm tired, can i go home now?  thanks!

2014-12-03 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Happy hump day friends!

Have you tried putting some water in the pan you roast it in? I roast it cut side up with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the pan (I use like a rectangular baking pan). It's never seemed crunchy.
2014-12-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I knew going back to the gym would be a mistake...

Went for a trainer ride and shower, and 24 hours later?  Sick.  Haven't been sick in probably over a year?  I guess it could have been something I touched at Best Buy on Monday but other than home and work, I haven't been anywhere recently.  Unless it takes 4-5 days for a bug to incubate, then it could have been dozens of places in Laguna... 

2014-12-03 2:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

I knew going back to the gym would be a mistake...

Went for a trainer ride and shower, and 24 hours later?  Sick.  Haven't been sick in probably over a year?  I guess it could have been something I touched at Best Buy on Monday but other than home and work, I haven't been anywhere recently.  Unless it takes 4-5 days for a bug to incubate, then it could have been dozens of places in Laguna... 

depends what the bug is but many viruses take days to present.

also, if your coworkers are as rude as mine they are certainly running around with nasty coughs and crud with no regard for their coworkers' health, i'm probably going to DIE from sitting next to this guy this week....

Edited by mehaner 2014-12-03 2:25 PM
2014-12-03 2:21 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by chayes

Happy hump day friends!

Have you tried putting some water in the pan you roast it in? I roast it cut side up with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the pan (I use like a rectangular baking pan). It's never seemed crunchy.

Oh yes I have tried the water bath too! Forgot about that.

What up Kido! Sorry you are sick!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1633 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2117 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1856 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2167 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3813 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.