Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-01-06 12:52 PM
in reply to: #5080287

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion
Yeah same company, even more clueless hr department. They neglected to tell my boss i was starting this week so he is scrambling to try to pull stuff together for me, but without a computer (which hr starts the process to authorize him to buy one) i can't do much. So, playing on phone it is!

2015-01-06 1:13 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by mehaner Yeah same company, even more clueless hr department. They neglected to tell my boss i was starting this week so he is scrambling to try to pull stuff together for me, but without a computer (which hr starts the process to authorize him to buy one) i can't do much. So, playing on phone it is!

I tried to inspire you, but some people are just uninspirable! 

2015-01-06 1:23 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by Kido

Well, my "holiday" got better.

During the renovation.  Small leak started at the fridge.  Tried to take off the valve with a wrench but it seized up and I ended up tearing the copper pipe off in the wall.  Plumber to come and fix?  180 bucks.  All things considered, I'm happy with the cost.

On Monday (or maybe Tuesday), got a fireball again out of the furnace.  Called them up to check it and they said the 27 yr old furnace was a goner.  3500 bucks to replace.  Had them option in the cost of replacing the second furnace AND also replacing the entire AC system since they are all sort of interconnected and they said piecemealing would be more expensive in the long run so decided to get it all done at once.  10k I didn't expect to spend when I woke up this morning.

Can't WAIT to see how efficient it is this summer though.  I'm hoping to see major savings on our AC electric bill.

Ouch, I took a $10K hit on a new boiler and plumbing a couple years back. I saw a HUGE savings the next winter and a much better balanced temp in the house. I went from an inverted angry octopus of boiler and pipes to a clean wall mounted unit and organized lines and about 100 more sq feet of utility space. I think you will enjoy the greater efficiency of a new system. P.S. How is the homebrew going.

Ordered a kit for a pumpkin ale that came last month.  Looking forward to brewing a batch but with all the contractors and mess, decided to hold off.  May happen this weekend since we are definitely on the tail end of the project.  Only a couple misc details left!

It was painful as fell during the whirlwind of contractors, but now that they are gone (only to come back for a few minor things) and the house is 95% done?  I love it!  "treated" myself (even though all the improvements are a treat) to a modern TV.  Replace an old 45" tube TV with a 48" LED in the bedroom - man, why didn't I do THAT earlier?

(probably because we watch on the big TV downstairs 99% of the time)...  Now I want to replace that behemoth of a 65" HD rear project (I paid 3k for) for a 1080p LED of the same size for 1k. 

2015-01-06 2:08 PM
in reply to: #5080355

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Now I want to replace that behemoth of a 65" HD rear project (I paid 3k for) for a 1080p LED of the same size for 1k.

It blows my mind how fast technology improves in both quality and cost. I am always a late adapter for this reason!
2015-01-06 2:53 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by mehaner

Yeah same company, even more clueless hr department. They neglected to tell my boss i was starting this week so he is scrambling to try to pull stuff together for me, but without a computer (which hr starts the process to authorize him to buy one) i can't do much. So, playing on phone it is!

I went through that at my last company. No computer for 5 days. They scrambled and brought me in a used laptop and the controls Engineer shared his spare one with me. I ended up with a clunker they wanted me to do autocad on and it crashed all the time. The company sales pitched me really well and it turned out to be NOTHING like I expected. I slugged it out for two years.

Now I have been at my new job for over a year and I am swamped but love it. New laptop was ready the day I started. A drawer full of tassimo coffee inserts and small fridge behind us with pop water juice. As a whole it is a large corporation in automotive but they keep their plants and facilities small and run a tight ship.

I hope for your sake this is just a bad HR up front and the rest rolls together perfect.
2015-01-06 3:01 PM
in reply to: #5080400

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
I'm pretty sure it is just a fully incompetent HR department. This is not the first thing that they have messed up in this whole transfer process. We shall see...

2015-01-06 3:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Now I want to replace that behemoth of a 65" HD rear project (I paid 3k for) for a 1080p LED of the same size for 1k.
It blows my mind how fast technology improves in both quality and cost. I am always a late adapter for this reason!

Yeah, I was just glancing at loptops at Best Buy and for the same price I got mine back in 2011, I can get something SO much better - touch screen, faster, bigger hd...  crazy.

The only reason I don't upgrade the bigger tv (other than it IS still a grand), is that direcTV only broadcasts in 1080i, so a 1080p is useless for most of my viewing.  It may be nice for blueray or gaming, but I barely do that.  The current TV is actually just fine for my use.  The new ones to look a little brighter and fancier I guess.

Edited by Kido 2015-01-06 3:11 PM
2015-01-06 7:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Techdiver
Originally posted by mehaner Yeah same company, even more clueless hr department. They neglected to tell my boss i was starting this week so he is scrambling to try to pull stuff together for me, but without a computer (which hr starts the process to authorize him to buy one) i can't do much. So, playing on phone it is!
I went through that at my last company. No computer for 5 days. They scrambled and brought me in a used laptop and the controls Engineer shared his spare one with me. I ended up with a clunker they wanted me to do autocad on and it crashed all the time. The company sales pitched me really well and it turned out to be NOTHING like I expected. I slugged it out for two years. Now I have been at my new job for over a year and I am swamped but love it. New laptop was ready the day I started. A drawer full of tassimo coffee inserts and small fridge behind us with pop water juice. As a whole it is a large corporation in automotive but they keep their plants and facilities small and run a tight ship. I hope for your sake this is just a bad HR up front and the rest rolls together perfect.

That reminds me of my first week at my current job. LOVE working for a tech savvy company... I was taken to my desk that had a new laptop, web cam, wireless headset, iPhone, access codes to work from home, codes to reserve company cars, gas card, credit card, procurement card - it was all just there for me or waiting in my email. The only thing I was really waiting on was for my cube to be reconfigured.

I also LOVED onboarding because at the end we got to sign up for free services - something no one bothered to tell me so it was a nice surprise!

Sorry MEH

Edited by lisac957 2015-01-06 7:54 PM
2015-01-06 8:25 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Techdiver
I went through that at my last company. No computer for 5 days. They scrambled and brought me in a used laptop and the controls Engineer shared his spare one with me. I ended up with a clunker they wanted me to do autocad on and it crashed all the time. The company sales pitched me really well and it turned out to be NOTHING like I expected. I slugged it out for two years. Now I have been at my new job for over a year and I am swamped but love it. New laptop was ready the day I started. A drawer full of tassimo coffee inserts and small fridge behind us with pop water juice. As a whole it is a large corporation in automotive but they keep their plants and facilities small and run a tight ship. I hope for your sake this is just a bad HR up front and the rest rolls together perfect.

That reminds me of my first week at my current job. LOVE working for a tech savvy company... I was taken to my desk that had a new laptop, web cam, wireless headset, iPhone, access codes to work from home, codes to reserve company cars, gas card, credit card, procurement card - it was all just there for me or waiting in my email. The only thing I was really waiting on was for my cube to be reconfigured.

I also LOVED onboarding because at the end we got to sign up for free services - something no one bothered to tell me so it was a nice surprise!

Sorry MEH

my office isn't even built yet...

2015-01-07 9:11 AM

User image

Pro

Long time no TAN  I'm back in Tucson at the old job. I've got my dog back (+ like 10 extra lbs of him to love). Life is pretty good.

I think this may be the beginning of the end. My fancy, fast aero helmet was recalled and I requested the refund instead of the replacement.

2015-01-07 12:57 PM
in reply to: #5004399

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Hi stranger! What are you going to do with all of your free time from training?

2015-01-07 1:06 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Bonjour tout le monde!

I'm saddened by what happened in Paris.  One of my favorite cities...

2015-01-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Hello TAN

Got married, went on honeymoon, Christmas, friends daughter died, wake, funeral, go to MI to see my HUSBAND over new years...now stuck in the airport.  Traveling is such a drag. 

2015-01-07 3:00 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I would say congratulations but seems most of that post was such bad news.

My condolences. 

2015-01-07 3:06 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by Kido

I would say congratulations but seems most of that post was such bad news.

My condolences. 

thanks. It was a bad thing. She was only 16 but had been sick a long time.  Very very sad.  My friend and her husband latched onto me a bit.  I am good in a crisis but happy to help  them in anyway I could.   To loose a child on Christmas day.  I can't even imagine their pain. 

My flights are always delayed.  I have bad travel karma. 

2015-01-08 9:53 AM

User image

Elite

The death of a child is tough, Sue.  I can't imagine.  

Best wishes on your marriage.  With all your traveling back and forth, you will figure out the optimum strategy for avoiding travel problems and you will probably get TSA Pre-Check which is great.

TW   

2015-01-08 1:06 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Best wishes on your marriage.  With all your traveling back and forth, you will figure out the optimum strategy for avoiding travel problems and you will probably get TSA Pre-Check which is great.

TW   

I am pre-screened but apparently when you fly on Spirit your identity changes and you cannot use it.  I flew spirit because when I tried to change my ticket on Delta to go to the wake and funeral they were going to charge me for a whole new flight so I went on spirit because it was like $250 less.  The seats suck and they charge for EVERYTHING but fir $250 I sucked it up. 

2015-01-08 1:40 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Why does it seem like there are so many less people on BT now?

Hi Elaine how the heck are you?

It is nice to see some old familiar faces. But this place was booming when I joined 5 years ago. I took last year off and everyone disappeared.

Smaller mentor groups, less of them. Less TAN posts etc.

Is triathlon not cool any more in our short attention span world?
2015-01-08 1:50 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by tech_geezer

TW   

I am pre-screened but apparently when you fly on Spirit your identity changes and you cannot use it.  I flew spirit because when I tried to change my ticket on Delta to go to the wake and funeral they were going to charge me for a whole new flight so I went on spirit because it was like $250 less.  The seats suck and they charge for EVERYTHING but fir $250 I sucked it up. 

I have TSA Pre-Check also, and experienced the same thing on Frontier airlines when they said they didn't acknowledge it.  I didn't realize that TSA was airline specific??  It definitely put Frontier airlines on my "never fly with them again" list.

2015-01-08 1:53 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Techdiver Why does it seem like there are so many less people on BT now? Hi Elaine how the heck are you? It is nice to see some old familiar faces. But this place was booming when I joined 5 years ago. I took last year off and everyone disappeared. Smaller mentor groups, less of them. Less TAN posts etc. Is triathlon not cool any more in our short attention span world?

Definitely less traffic around here as a whole. I think some people didn't like the new re-design/format and how much harder it made it to interact with friends - and some folks just got tired of arguments or ran out of things to say, or decided to say them somewhere else. I'm sure some just dropped off triathlon all together, too. Lots of reasons, but it does seem like they all piled up at once and as a result this place isn't nearly what it was. Ebb and flow.

I'm still around and logging, just working like crazy these days.

2015-01-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Techdiver Why does it seem like there are so many less people on BT now? Hi Elaine how the heck are you? It is nice to see some old familiar faces. But this place was booming when I joined 5 years ago. I took last year off and everyone disappeared. Smaller mentor groups, less of them. Less TAN posts etc. Is triathlon not cool any more in our short attention span world?

let's be honest, triathlon was never cool.

2015-01-08 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I just come here to inspire people and see cool quotes!

2015-01-08 7:45 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jford2309

I just come here to inspire people and see cool quotes!

I just got old and started breaking down.  Do you want me to tell you about my trick knee or my vertigo?  I didn't think so.

TW

2015-01-09 7:23 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by lisac957

Definitely less traffic around here as a whole. I think some people didn't like the new re-design/format and how much harder it made it to interact with friends - and some folks just got tired of arguments or ran out of things to say, or decided to say them somewhere else. I'm sure some just dropped off triathlon all together, too. Lots of reasons, but it does seem like they all piled up at once and as a result this place isn't nearly what it was. Ebb and flow.

I'm still around and logging, just working like crazy these days.

I understand the working like crazy. I think I was last on here announced I was having a kid and bam she is well over a year old. WTH.

IT seemed like Triathlon took off in my town. The local triathlon had double the people in it 2012 and 2013 and then a reduction last year for sure. I didn't participate for the first time in 6 years.

So for a while it was COOL. or the new fad. Seems like
2015-01-09 9:16 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner Hi stranger! What are you going to do with all of your free time from training?

Still probably swim, bike and run... but rock climb, hike, and lift, too.

I'm co-coaching a kids tri class 2x per week and I feel like it's going to be way more time than just the 2 hours per week

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1638 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1860 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2171 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3819 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.