User image

Elite
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Tan Mini-Poll

When you make a pot of coffee in a drip maker with the valve on the filter basket so you can sneak in and get a cup before the brewing is finished, do you.

1.  Get the first cup because it is the best?

2.  Wait until it is almost finished because you are in a bit of a hurry and can't wait for the last drop of water to drip out?

3.  Wait until the pot signals the brewing is finished?

You may justify (or rationalize if it is 1 or 2) if you wish.

TW

2. Mostly because (a) I'm drinking coffee at home and only skrewing myself... or (b) I made the pot of coffee at work and I want it NOW. I'm in first and make the first pot just about every day. That responsibility comes with certain privileges

Whenever I made the pot I would wait for it to begin brewing, and snag the "first cup" because it was the strongest. And because they refused to buy anything other than Folger's mild brew crap. It was awful, but it was free.

Ditto here. Cheap-o Folgers. 

My mother-in-law only will drink Folgers.  I don't understand it.  I bring Peete's to her house and make a pot before she is up.  She sets that pot off and makes a pot of Folger's.

TW

2015-02-03 4:06 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Work buys Folgers.  Can't do it...  I just bring a large mug from home.

ALSO, the wife got me a fantastic Christmas gift of a Keurig machine!  Not your typical machine (we already have one), but they teamed up with Lavazzo and have made an ESPRESSO Keurig!  I was waiting for them to compete in the "pod" espresso machines.  It does a better job than my manual espresso machine and seems to be comparable to the Nesspresso and the machines made by starbucks and coffee bean...

2015-02-04 9:07 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

ALSO, the wife got me a fantastic Christmas gift of a Keurig machine!  Not your typical machine (we already have one), but they teamed up with Lavazzo and have made an ESPRESSO Keurig!  I was waiting for them to compete in the "pod" espresso machines.  It does a better job than my manual espresso machine and seems to be comparable to the Nesspresso and the machines made by starbucks and coffee bean...

based on the sheer number of coffee machines you have in your home, how BIG is your kitchen!!!

from previous posts you've mentioned:  drip pot, french roast, keuring, new espresso keurig, actual espresso machine, OH EM GEE KIDO

2015-02-04 9:09 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I got good news from my doctor, my shoulder issues I have been having are not a rotator cuff problem, which means no surgery!  I was really scared that's what my pain was! Very relieved!

2015-02-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jford2309

I got good news from my doctor, my shoulder issues I have been having are not a rotator cuff problem, which means no surgery!  I was really scared that's what my pain was! Very relieved!

I think you passed your shoulder woes on to me. Mine is hurty

2015-02-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

I'm sorry about the shoulder woes.  I've been fortunate never to have had any shoulder issues.  Jford and Lisa, what activity seems to be the root cause?  I've not ever done big miles in the pool (not since high school anyway) or much weight lifting.  Perhaps, I should continue with that.

I am at the lake today and it is  soooooo quiet.  No earthmoving equipment, leaf blowers, chainsaws, or boats; not even a car or two.  I guess a cold day in February will do that.  It is supposed to snow tonight too.  It is pretty rural around here and very hilly.  A little snow shuts down travel completely.

TW

2015-02-04 10:06 AM

User image

Pro

Tan Mini-Poll

When you make a pot of coffee in a drip maker with the valve on the filter basket so you can sneak in and get a cup before the brewing is finished, do you.

2.  Wait until it is almost finished because you are in a bit of a hurry and can't wait for the last drop of water to drip out?

TW

2. Mostly because (a) I'm drinking coffee at home and only skrewing myself... or (b) I made the pot of coffee at work and I want it NOW. I'm in first and make the first pot just about every day. That responsibility comes with certain privileges

Whenever I made the pot I would wait for it to begin brewing, and snag the "first cup" because it was the strongest. And because they refused to buy anything other than Folger's mild brew crap. It was awful, but it was free.

Ditto here. Cheap-o Folgers. 

My mother-in-law only will drink Folgers.  I don't understand it.  I bring Peete's to her house and make a pot before she is up.  She sets that pot off and makes a pot of Folger's.

TW

Visited a coffee plantation while in Costa Rica (https://www.donjuancoffeetour.com/shop/index.php). They do all processing on site. It was TASTY. But they started the tour with the "Do you know where your coffee comes from?" question... 

...yup. My mother would disown me if I bought anything that wasn't Fair Trade. In fact, if I mention I'm low on coffee, she mails me a bag. My next bag of coffee is from here: http://ajiritea.com/ 

2015-02-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'm sorry about the shoulder woes.  I've been fortunate never to have had any shoulder issues.  Jford and Lisa, what activity seems to be the root cause?  I've not ever done big miles in the pool (not since high school anyway) or much weight lifting.  Perhaps, I should continue with that.

I am at the lake today and it is  soooooo quiet.  No earthmoving equipment, leaf blowers, chainsaws, or boats; not even a car or two.  I guess a cold day in February will do that.  It is supposed to snow tonight too.  It is pretty rural around here and very hilly.  A little snow shuts down travel completely.

TW

No clue for me. I've been a lifelong swimmer, on and off, and never had issues picking back up swimming - even through 3 IMs. I've been in the pool twice in the past month so it's not over-swimming. I started doing T25/Insanity stuff a few days a week at lunch, but I can't imagine a handful of girl pushups and burpees would cause what I'm experiencing. It's a mystery!

Edited by lisac957 2015-02-04 10:12 AM
2015-02-04 10:33 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

TW

No clue for me. I've been a lifelong swimmer, on and off, and never had issues picking back up swimming - even through 3 IMs. I've been in the pool twice in the past month so it's not over-swimming. I started doing T25/Insanity stuff a few days a week at lunch, but I can't imagine a handful of girl pushups and burpees would cause what I'm experiencing. It's a mystery!

Yeah I can't say why either. I have not swam much in 2014, or really much of anything. I did notice the pain once I tried to swim a couple of times. I got a cortisone shot and it is really feeling better

2015-02-04 11:03 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

Usually 3 because I start the coffee and then leave it while I do other things and the beep tells me when to come back to it, but sometimes 2 if I'm super tired that morning and just have to have a cup right meow.  Lately, I've been playing with the size of the grind to figure out what gives the best balance between taste and brew speed (finer grinds slow down the drop process).

p.s.  less than four months to go before this TAN has a birthday.

2015-02-04 11:40 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by cgregg

... Lately, I've been playing with the size of the grind to figure out what gives the best balance between taste and brew speed (finer grinds slow down the drop process).

I set the grinder as fine as it will go. 

At the current rate of posting on this TAN, we might get close to the second birthday.  Times have changed.  We are so tame that we are lame.   

Edited by tech_geezer 2015-02-04 11:48 AM

2015-02-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mehaner

based on the sheer number of coffee machines you have in your home, how BIG is your kitchen!!!

from previous posts you've mentioned:  drip pot, french roast, keuring, new espresso keurig, actual espresso machine, OH EM GEE KIDO

It's not THAT big, and yes, it's getting ridiculous - it's almost turned into some kind of coffee contraption collection.

With the 4 machines, I also have 3 of the Bialetti pots, earopress, 3 single cup drip funnel thingies, 3 coffee grinders, Turkish coffee pot.  Looking to get a syphon and chemex.  It's an obsession.    

2015-02-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I think you passed your shoulder woes on to me. Mine is hurty

Mine too.  Ripped something doing P90x pushups and it's never been the same.  Not it pops and hurts and has limited range.

2015-02-04 12:35 PM

User image

Pro

It's not THAT big, and yes, it's getting ridiculous - it's almost turned into some kind of coffee contraption collection.

With the 4 machines, I also have 3 of the Bialetti pots, earopress, 3 single cup drip funnel thingies, 3 coffee grinders, Turkish coffee pot.  Looking to get a syphon and chemex.  It's an obsession.    

When I come up to Vegas in May, I'm coming to your house for coffee, ok?

2015-02-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

Usually 3 because I start the coffee and then leave it while I do other things and the beep tells me when to come back to it, but sometimes 2 if I'm super tired that morning and just have to have a cup right meow.  Lately, I've been playing with the size of the grind to figure out what gives the best balance between taste and brew speed (finer grinds slow down the drop process).

Depends on the flavor profile you want.  One of the reasons coffee comes out bad is people don't used enough.  Which means that the beans get over extracted which is very bitter.  The beginning of the extraction is the "sweeter/flavor" part and more and more of the bitterness comes out after that.  (so my answer to the mini poll is STEAL THAT FIRST CUP! - It's the sweeter and more flavorful portion of the extraction).  A slow drip can cause that as well as not enough coffee (water keeps pulling more and more from the limited amount in the basket).

Another example, is the aeropress.  fine grind but only a 10 second steep and a quick plunger to push the water through by pressure.  It's a strong coffee without any bitterness.  Add some hot water to make it an "Americano" and it could be one of your better cups of coffee.  I know an owner of a shop that swears by it.  The bialetti moka pots are used all over europ (most Italy) and sort of works on the same principle.  Pressure builds up and pushed the water through the coffee in less that 30 seconds rather than a slow steep.

My next big purchas may be a good good grinder.  I mean $500-$600 good.  I had a blade grinder which is uneven and can burn the coffee due to too much friction.  I bought a $50 burr grinder - ok for everything but espresso.  Got a $150 grinder, even better with electronic dosing, but still not fine enough for TRUE espresso.  Even the mega grinders at the store, set to "Turkish" are a joke.  First of all, Turkish/greek coffee is ground to almost baby powder which the store models don't do (or even close).  That setting doesn't even make it fine enough for espresso.  I almost (to my chagrin) need to buy Illy or some other super fine espresso grind to get my espresso machine to put out a good one. 

I haven't cracked open a Keurig espresso pod to see how fine that is...  Just need to remind myself to do it.  I know the Nesspresso pods are pretty fine.  I'm a bit dubious of the "crema" that come from those machines.  It's looks close to the real thing, but crema is developed from water temp, tamping pressure, and water pressure.  The pods are not tamped, so I wonder how they achieve it.  Some kind of fake it by introducing air and foaming them up, which is not true crema.  I hear the machines cranking away and sounds like it builds pressure, so maybe it does something magical in the process that's close to a true espresso machine.

ANYWAY, I'm showing my age when things like craft beer, small batch bourbons, and coffee brewing are fascinating to me.

2015-02-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Sensei
Sin City

When I come up to Vegas in May, I'm coming to your house for coffee, ok?

I better start practicing my latte art!  Still need to learn how to do that...

2015-02-04 12:52 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Tech,

Read your running article.  Interesting.   AND so happens it's something I have recently changed to.  Mostly because I'm running again for health and some weight loss rather than performance.

My new workout for weight loss is a combination or strength training x3 a week, diet, and very low intensity cardio every day (or x6 a week).

The diet is low/moderate carb intake with NO sugar and NO carbs after 6pm (sort of arbitrary, but a time works with most people).  Idea is to use up all your blood sugar during the night then FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, do very low intensity cardio  45-60 minutes at an HR less than AeT.  For me, I keep my HR at around 130.  My old training had me keeping it at 158.  With an HR that low, fat is your primary fuel source and with your blood sugars depleted already, your body really used up the fat (so goes the theory)...

It my current state, it's a shuffle/jog at best (if going downhill) mixed with a power walk and definitely walking UP hills to keep HR at 130.  I heard that I will soon be able to increase that pace and still keep the HR low.  This workout seems to be consistent with Polar, Maffetone, and even LT training zones.  Just decided to work in fat burning zones, rather than aerobic performance zones needed for competition (I'll do that later).

2015-02-04 1:14 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Have you seen how slow traffic is on BT?  Only two threads in CoJ have posts since Monday?  Nothing in political CoJ since 1/30?

I would be very interested in seeing the traffic numbers over the last year or two and see  how much the site has declined or if it hasn't, where the traffic went to.

I wonder if income from people buying memberships reflects what's happening to the site as well.

2015-02-04 2:47 PM

User image

Elite

Tech,

Read your running article.  Interesting.   AND so happens it's something I have recently changed to.  Mostly because I'm running again for health and some weight loss rather than performance.

My new workout for weight loss is a combination or strength training x3 a week, diet, and very low intensity cardio every day (or x6 a week).

The diet is low/moderate carb intake with NO sugar and NO carbs after 6pm (sort of arbitrary, but a time works with most people).  Idea is to use up all your blood sugar during the night then FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, do very low intensity cardio  45-60 minutes at an HR less than AeT.  For me, I keep my HR at around 130.  My old training had me keeping it at 158.  With an HR that low, fat is your primary fuel source and with your blood sugars depleted already, your body really used up the fat (so goes the theory)...

It my current state, it's a shuffle/jog at best (if going downhill) mixed with a power walk and definitely walking UP hills to keep HR at 130.  I heard that I will soon be able to increase that pace and still keep the HR low.  This workout seems to be consistent with Polar, Maffetone, and even LT training zones.  Just decided to work in fat burning zones, rather than aerobic performance zones needed for competition (I'll do that later).

Personally, I think your regimen is perfect.

For my own goals, I have been on the long slow distance bandwagon a long time.  We can get caught up in the semantics of what that is.  By any measure, whether compared to entire training cohort or just my age group, I am slow.  But the fact is, I am going as fast as I can.  So am I running fast for me or slow compared to the average runner.  I run from 12 to 13 mpm, bike 14 to 15 mph, and swim around 2:30 min per hundred.  Pretty much glacial paces for the general population.  This is top speed for every day exercise.  I could go slightly faster for a best one time effort but not much.  My top end is really gone for some reason.  

I am a convert to weight training.  I used to think it was counterproductive to running, apt to lead to injury, and was less effective than just running for weight loss.  I think I was wrong on all counts for my own kind of light weight training and slow running (or swimming or biking).  

The little study that was reported does not contract what I already believed so I am inclined to accept it.  That is pretty much the way everyone works on receiving information.  It is pretty hard to change our minds but pretty easy to push us in the way we were already leaning.  The reaction to the thread is beginning show the forum tendencies that have shut down posting, just a little to much negativity in the responses.

TW

2015-02-04 3:00 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Tan Mini-Poll

TW

I'm usually 3 as well... I'm the one who starts the first pot of coffee at work in the morning and while it's brewing I'll make and eat my oatmeal which, by the time I finish that, is juuuuuuuust about the same time the pot finishes brewing and then I can take the first cup back to my desk with me.   

2015-02-04 3:00 PM

User image

Elite

Depends on the flavor profile you want.  One of the reasons coffee comes out bad is people don't used enough.  Which means that the beans get over extracted which is very bitter.  The beginning of the extraction is the "sweeter/flavor" part and more and more of the bitterness comes out after that.  (so my answer to the mini poll is STEAL THAT FIRST CUP! - It's the sweeter and more flavorful portion of the extraction).  A slow drip can cause that as well as not enough coffee (water keeps pulling more and more from the limited amount in the basket).

Another example, is the aeropress.  fine grind but only a 10 second steep and a quick plunger to push the water through by pressure.  It's a strong coffee without any bitterness.  Add some hot water to make it an "Americano" and it could be one of your better cups of coffee.  I know an owner of a shop that swears by it.  The bialetti moka pots are used all over europ (most Italy) and sort of works on the same principle.  Pressure builds up and pushed the water through the coffee in less that 30 seconds rather than a slow steep.

My next big purchas may be a good good grinder.  I mean $500-$600 good.  I had a blade grinder which is uneven and can burn the coffee due to too much friction.  I bought a $50 burr grinder - ok for everything but espresso.  Got a $150 grinder, even better with electronic dosing, but still not fine enough for TRUE espresso.  Even the mega grinders at the store, set to "Turkish" are a joke.  First of all, Turkish/greek coffee is ground to almost baby powder which the store models don't do (or even close).  That setting doesn't even make it fine enough for espresso.  I almost (to my chagrin) need to buy Illy or some other super fine espresso grind to get my espresso machine to put out a good one. 

I haven't cracked open a Keurig espresso pod to see how fine that is...  Just need to remind myself to do it.  I know the Nesspresso pods are pretty fine.  I'm a bit dubious of the "crema" that come from those machines.  It's looks close to the real thing, but crema is developed from water temp, tamping pressure, and water pressure.  The pods are not tamped, so I wonder how they achieve it.  Some kind of fake it by introducing air and foaming them up, which is not true crema.  I hear the machines cranking away and sounds like it builds pressure, so maybe it does something magical in the process that's close to a true espresso machine.

ANYWAY, I'm showing my age when things like craft beer, small batch bourbons, and coffee brewing are fascinating to me.

I bow to your knowledge of coffee brewing.  I've got a KitchenAid Pro Line grinder.  You see them in some coffee shops.  They are good, heavy-duty grinders.  There is a manual adjustment where you crank the limit stop in with the grinder running until the burrs slightly touch (and make a racket) then you back off.  I did this adjustment very carefully and I get a pretty fine grind.  I am just going by eye.  I have no way of measuring the fineness.  I suppose I could get some sort of graduated screens to sift it.

I acquired the fancy grinder sort of by good luck.  I originally bought a KitchenAid home model grinder.  After about 2 years, the thing started jamming with beans and then metal flakes started showing up in the ground coffee.  I took it apart and found that a pin holding the burr to the shaft had sheared and the burr could spin or slide up and touch the other burr.  Of course, I looked for replacement parts.  Apparently, other owners of the grinder had got there before and softened up the customer service at KitchenAid.  I read vitriolic owner comments about the quality of the grinder.  Anyway, KitchenAid discontinued the home grinder and all service parts but offered the Pro line to previous model owners for something like $130.  They regularly cost $400.  So if I want to go into the coffee shop bizz, I have the grinder.

TW

2015-02-04 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I think I will have an afternoon coffee (Thanks TAN) a cheap ol Folger's in a Kuerig self serve Styrofoam cup!

Different topic:

what is the longest plank you have ever held?

Mine is 5:05, but I am working on a 10 minute plank!

2015-02-04 4:17 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Elite

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I'm usually 3 as well... I'm the one who starts the first pot of coffee at work in the morning and while it's brewing I'll make and eat my oatmeal which, by the time I finish that, is juuuuuuuust about the same time the pot finishes brewing and then I can take the first cup back to my desk with me.   

You are the fastest oatmeal maker/eater I've ever known, even if you are making microwave oatmeal.  I make a pot of coffee, check the internet while it brews, pre-warm some mugs with hot water, pour the coffee after it bings, and take the mugs upstairs to JWKMH while she is still in bed.  I make the oatmeal about an hour later....

TW

2015-02-04 4:21 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Different topic:

what is the longest plank you have ever held?

About 16 feet

Edited by cgregg 2015-02-04 4:21 PM
2015-02-04 4:25 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

You are the fastest oatmeal maker/eater I've ever known, even if you are making microwave oatmeal.  I make a pot of coffee, check the internet while it brews, pre-warm some mugs with hot water, pour the coffee after it bings, and take the mugs upstairs to JWKMH while she is still in bed.  I make the oatmeal about an hour later....

TW

I will frequently make larger batches of oatmeal the night before, or even a day or two in advance.  I usually cook up steel cut oats with some pumpkin spice, raisins, and apple chunks.  I just bring it to a hard simmer for about 30 minutes and shut it off, then I let it sit in the fridge, covered, overnight.  One cup of oats makes like four cups of oatmeal... enough for several breakfasts.   I also make batches of yogurt on Sundays so that I have it for the whole week.

Makes breakfast time quick & easy.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1641 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2126 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1863 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2176 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3827 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.