in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by tech_geezer

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Ok, TAN, let's have some fun!

Today is the day that my ex boyfriend finished off paying the money he owed me. Let's celebrate!

Budget is $325 - the amount of the final payment.

What should I do with it??

I am currently a member of Plane of the Month Club.  So I have acquired a couple of these fine planes from Lie-Nielsen..

This one fits the bill, at least in price.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/core-tools/no.-4-1-2-smooth-plane?node=4086

I sleep with mine.

TW

Do you like antique planes for woodworking?  I am thinking about selling out my collection and putting it towards a new plasma cutter and/or a new TIG welder.

I saw some similar to mine sell for $150-$400 a piece at an auction, and was amazed.  I could buy a lot if all of mine brought those prices.

2015-04-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Elite

Originally posted by flip18436572

Ok, TAN, let's have some fun!

Today is the day that my ex boyfriend finished off paying the money he owed me. Let's celebrate!

Budget is $325 - the amount of the final payment.

What should I do with it??

I am currently a member of Plane of the Month Club.  So I have acquired a couple of these fine planes from Lie-Nielsen..

This one fits the bill, at least in price.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/core-tools/no.-4-1-2-smooth-plane?node=4086

I sleep with mine.

TW

Do you like antique planes for woodworking?  I am thinking about selling out my collection and putting it towards a new plasma cutter and/or a new TIG welder.

I saw some similar to mine sell for $150-$400 a piece at an auction, and was amazed.  I could buy a lot if all of mine brought those prices.

I have quite a few antique planes that belonged to my grandfather and my father, but I have been buying some new Lie-Nielsens.  The Lie-Nielsen's are more accurately made.  The soles are flatter and the sides are perpendicular.  Many of my old planes were resurrected from junk by my grandfather.  He was a machinist and liked fixing old things up.

What do you have?

TW 

2015-04-27 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

A Stanley # 46 skew plane with multiple knives is probably the one worth the most and have been offered $250.00 for it.  Probably should have sold it then, but didn't trust the person with a check and they wouldn't allow me to keep the plane until the check had cleared.

A lot of others that are made for making trim pieces and cove moldings, etc..  I probably have 30 different planes that I will never use, and probably need to be in a museum for wood working tools.  Nothing is new and as exact tolerances as the new one will be.

2015-04-27 1:56 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

Not sure what I would do with almost $400 bucks...  I'm not in the need for any toys at the moment.  Maybe a super telephoto lens for the camera?  (or at least 40%) of one.

Maybe a Springfield Armory 9mm.  But that's about the last thing on my wish list.

Apple watch?  I'm surprised I don't have anything on my toy radar at the moment.

My toy radar seems to be broken.

With recent attacks on my local river path, maybe a 9mm is a good choice. 

Maybe turf soccer shoes? I like my cleats, but with the hard ground here, they don't do much...

2015-04-28 12:41 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

New topic:  Role of relative status in successful relationships

By relative status, I mean dating or marrying up or down socially.  I dated and married way up and was aware of it even at the time.  In high school when we met, JWKMH was smart, rich, and good looking.  I was none of those things. I was astounded that she wanted to go out with me. She was also really nice.  Then as now, everybody likes Janice.   I think that  realizing how good I had it was a strong motivator to do what I needed to do to keep the relationship together.  

What is your view on dating/marrying up or down?  Which way works best?  It isn't ever equal.

TW 

2015-04-28 2:52 PM

User image

Pro

In my experience, dating down (in terms of $ earned, education... and maybe not looks-wise physically, but fitness wise) has led to nothing but terrible things to me.

Every time, that has turned from "wow, she's a catch!" to "wow, i'm incredibly insecure!". Also, men seem to initially love how independent I am... and at some point that turns into a point of contention. 

I'm trying to date up, but I can't find someone willing to date down for me

2015-04-28 4:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

In my experience, dating down (in terms of $ earned, education... and maybe not looks-wise physically, but fitness wise) has led to nothing but terrible things to me.

Every time, that has turned from "wow, she's a catch!" to "wow, i'm incredibly insecure!". Also, men seem to initially love how independent I am... and at some point that turns into a point of contention. 

I'm trying to date up, but I can't find someone willing to date down for me

When you are pretty close to the top, it is really hard to date up.  I think that is more likely your problem.  

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2015-04-28 4:24 PM
2015-04-28 10:07 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I guess I married up - or so I'm told almost by everyone who meets her... I think they mostly go by looks though.  BUT I personally think the gap is smaller than most people give me credit for.  We definitely compliment each other and cover for each other's weaknesses at the same time, seem to be on the same page on most life issues...  So I think it's a good thing. 

2015-04-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

By relative status, I mean dating or marrying up or down socially.  I dated and married way up and was aware of it even at the time.  In high school when we met, JWKMH was smart, rich, and good looking.  I was none of those things. I was astounded that she wanted to go out with me. She was also really nice.  Then as now, everybody likes Janice.   I think that  realizing how good I had it was a strong motivator to do what I needed to do to keep the relationship together.  

What is your view on dating/marrying up or down?  Which way works best?  It isn't ever equal.

TW 

OK so obviously you are smart - based on your chosen field and experience.  Rich isn't something J accomplished (at least not at HS age), she was born into.  Good looking, you are probably right there.  But really, I bet you aren't as mismatched as you think you are.

My husband and I are pretty damn equal.  Similar careers, similar good looking-ness, similar social personalities.  We also met MUCH later in life.  In HS I was an idiot with dating.  I met mr. meh when I was 26 or 27?  At that point in my life - dating down was not an option (sorry if that sounds stuck up, but I had worked hard to get where I was and wanted to enjoy life) and dating up was...I don't know?  I never really had the opportunity but based on my personality I bet I wouldn't have liked it - I would have seen it as a challenge to my self-worth (completely on me, but still a factor).  As a matter of fact, my last relationship before mr. meh was seriously dating down, and I ALWAYS knew it wouldn't last long term.  It was fun at first, and then got old.  I don't know why you think it can't be equal?  That's what I looked for and that is what I got with my husband, and it's worked out really nice.  I'm very lucky with my relationship.

Edited by mehaner 2015-04-29 8:41 AM
2015-04-29 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

TW 

If you asked me, I'd say I married up. If you ask my wife, I'd hope she would also say the same thing. I have known my wife since I was 17 and she was 15 and we started dating at when I was a freshman in college. I think we hold an equal view of each other, but we show it differently. I really do not care if anyone thinks she settled for me or if I married up, all I know is that we are perfect for each other and we balance each other craziness out.

***On a side note, we finally got moved into our new house last week and we love it! It is already starting to feel like home!

2015-04-29 11:23 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mehaner

TW 

OK so obviously you are smart - based on your chosen field and experience.  Rich isn't something J accomplished (at least not at HS age), she was born into.  Good looking, you are probably right there.  But really, I bet you aren't as mismatched as you think you are.

My husband and I are pretty damn equal.  Similar careers, similar good looking-ness, similar social personalities.  We also met MUCH later in life.  In HS I was an idiot with dating.  I met mr. meh when I was 26 or 27?  At that point in my life - dating down was not an option (sorry if that sounds stuck up, but I had worked hard to get where I was and wanted to enjoy life) and dating up was...I don't know?  I never really had the opportunity but based on my personality I bet I wouldn't have liked it - I would have seen it as a challenge to my self-worth (completely on me, but still a factor).  As a matter of fact, my last relationship before mr. meh was seriously dating down, and I ALWAYS knew it wouldn't last long term.  It was fun at first, and then got old.  I don't know why you think it can't be equal?  That's what I looked for and that is what I got with my husband, and it's worked out really nice.  I'm very lucky with my relationship.

Ha.  I am not dumb but I am dumber than the rest of my family.  They are an exceedingly bright bunch.  For proof, I would have to tell some embarrassing and painful stories so I won't do that.  J had a head start in life but she has not wasted her opportunities.  Trust me on the marrying up assessment.  It is true and it works for us.

On your question of equality, you can be close to equal certainly but there are always differences that have an effect on relationships.  That no two people are alike is all I am saying.

I am just as interested in what you think in general not just your personal experience on the topic of differences in income, social status, education, and looks.  I get the insecurity issue from the lower status person that RBS mentioned.  I think that is a huge obstacle.  There may be a tolerable level of difference versus just too far apart.

It is an interesting question looking back on a lot of relationships that I know about.  

TW 

2015-04-29 12:41 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jford2309

TW 

If you asked me, I'd say I married up. If you ask my wife, I'd hope she would also say the same thing. I have known my wife since I was 17 and she was 15 and we started dating at when I was a freshman in college. I think we hold an equal view of each other, but we show it differently. I really do not care if anyone thinks she settled for me or if I married up, all I know is that we are perfect for each other and we balance each other craziness out.

***On a side note, we finally got moved into our new house last week and we love it! It is already starting to feel like home!

Congratulations on the move.  After we learned how little our house was worth in the current market in Oak Ridge, we decided not to put it on the market yet.  I am still working very hard on renovations.  I am enjoying the work and we need to be ready if market improves.  I will post some pictures of the pantry cabinet I am building in an album when I am a little further along.

I agree with your point that it is unhealthy if one person thinks they are superior to their spouse.   I have seen some really sad marriages like that.

2015-04-29 1:56 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Interesting conversation on dating up/down. I've done both.

Dating down, at least financially, was hard for me as I didn't want to come off as uppity or nonchalant about money. But dating someone who had no financial stability was very hard for me. Partly because I'm attracted to people who are successful in life (which, coincidentally, usually means they make money) - but partly because you just live in two different worlds. Things as simple as where to go to dinner can be financially stressful to someone making "just out of college" salary, let alone bigger things like where to go on vacation together.

Was dating up, financially, until just recently. Since we both make "established adult" livings, I don't think it ever came into play for either of us. He just made like 4x as much as me and could do things like purchase a vehicle on his debit card. 

2015-04-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by lisac957

Dating down, at least financially, was hard for me as I didn't want to come off as uppity or nonchalant about money. But dating someone who had no financial stability was very hard for me. Partly because I'm attracted to people who are successful in life (which, coincidentally, usually means they make money) - but partly because you just live in two different worlds. Things as simple as where to go to dinner can be financially stressful to someone making "just out of college" salary, let alone bigger things like where to go on vacation together.

Was dating up, financially, until just recently. Since we both make "established adult" livings, I don't think it ever came into play for either of us. He just made like 4x as much as me and could do things like purchase a vehicle on his debit card. 

Reading back over these last posts made me realize I have no experience on the financial side of this question either way. When I was dating my wife we were so young that "we" really had nothing. Our parents were certainly in different wealth brackets, but that really did not come into play because we never had any money in college anyways, and quite frankly I am thankful I found someone to put up with me because I do not think I would do very well in the "dating scene" these days. Sounds rough

2015-04-29 2:23 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite

Your comment about two different worlds made me think of Tom Branson on Downton Abbey.  There is a cultural acceptance by the rest of the partner's world that enters into long term relationships even when the couple themselves have no issue with the differences.

Despite your recent ex's financial situation, he was definitely dating up.  I am sorry he did not see the advantage of that.  

TW

2015-04-29 2:53 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

Reading back over these last posts made me realize I have no experience on the financial side of this question either way. When I was dating my wife we were so young that "we" really had nothing. Our parents were certainly in different wealth brackets, but that really did not come into play because we never had any money in college anyways, and quite frankly I am thankful I found someone to put up with me because I do not think I would do very well in the "dating scene" these days. Sounds rough

There's an understatement

I spent about 3 years in a relationship where I out-earned him, but his parents were significantly more wealthy than mine. Made for an interesting dynamic. Was nice when his parents visited though - ate at all of the fancy restaurants that I could afford, but would never choose to eat at because they are so darn expensive

2015-04-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

My wife had all of her teeth and her car had 4 pretty decent tires.  I think I did good.

2015-04-29 3:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain

My wife had all of her teeth and her car had 4 pretty decent tires.  I think I did good.

Surprisingly well.
2015-04-29 4:45 PM

User image

Pro

Surprisingly well.

Right? 

And I didn't even mention the mule.

2015-04-29 8:11 PM

User image

Elite

Surprisingly well.

Right? 

It only gets better, doesn't it?

TW

2015-04-30 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

That is a pretty cool change to this thread.

I think I married up, and I think she would probably say that she married up.  We are different people and have many different interests, but also have some of the same interests. I think my wife is amazing and made a huge decision at just over 41 to change career paths and become a nurse.  She became an RN and recently decided to get her BSN, and now we are planning on her getting her masters to become a Nurse Practitioner.

2015-04-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Elite

Originally posted by flip18436572

That is a pretty cool change to this thread.

I think I married up, and I think she would probably say that she married up.  We are different people and have many different interests, but also have some of the same interests. I think my wife is amazing and made a huge decision at just over 41 to change career paths and become a nurse.  She became an RN and recently decided to get her BSN, and now we are planning on her getting her masters to become a Nurse Practitioner.

You may not have married up but you may be getting passed.  

The career change and education is very cool.  I was a non-traditional (nice word for old) grad student.  Being a student was a really good experience.

TW 

2015-04-30 8:37 AM

User image

Pro

Surprisingly well.

Right? 

It only gets better, doesn't it?

TW

I was talking about her mother.

2015-04-30 11:40 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Dang it, I'm neither rich nor good looking. Does that mean I'll always be 2nd rate?

2015-04-30 2:09 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trijamie

Dang it, I'm neither rich nor good looking. Does that mean I'll always be 2nd rate?

It just means you're the one that gets to date up

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1635 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1858 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2168 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3815 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.