2015-04-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by trijamie

Dang it, I'm neither rich nor good looking. Does that mean I'll always be 2nd rate?

It just means you're the one that gets to date up

Hahaha, you're right! I'll toast to that with a glass half full

2015-04-30 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I do not know if I married up or down. The wifey say up. Twenty years later I guess I am ok. New topic. I am mainly a Tri guy but people at work decided to complete a Tough Mudder. I thought it was a run, ropes, swim, crawl type of event. I went along with the flow and signed up now that I am reading about the ice water, electric shock, gas tent, and other events I am getting nervous. I have the Captex Tri labor day and I do not want to get hurt. Do I need to worry, I should have checked into this more. It is this weekend near Austin. Am I a chicken or what?
2015-05-01 8:11 AM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by TXwildcat I do not know if I married up or down. The wifey say up. Twenty years later I guess I am ok. New topic. I am mainly a Tri guy but people at work decided to complete a Tough Mudder. I thought it was a run, ropes, swim, crawl type of event. I went along with the flow and signed up now that I am reading about the ice water, electric shock, gas tent, and other events I am getting nervous. I have the Captex Tri labor day and I do not want to get hurt. Do I need to worry, I should have checked into this more. It is this weekend near Austin. Am I a chicken or what?

You've listed all the reasons I don't do Tough Mudder.  I'm not a fan of electric shock for fun in the middle of a 10 mile run that I paid a fortune for.  The nice thing is, you can skip any obstacle you aren't comfortable with - I am pretty sure you just run around and move on.  I don't know that any of those things would put you out of a tri in 3 months any more than just running and rolling your ankle, but no need to be a hero.

2015-05-01 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by TXwildcat I do not know if I married up or down. The wifey say up. Twenty years later I guess I am ok. New topic. I am mainly a Tri guy but people at work decided to complete a Tough Mudder. I thought it was a run, ropes, swim, crawl type of event. I went along with the flow and signed up now that I am reading about the ice water, electric shock, gas tent, and other events I am getting nervous. I have the Captex Tri labor day and I do not want to get hurt. Do I need to worry, I should have checked into this more. It is this weekend near Austin. Am I a chicken or what?

You've listed all the reasons I don't do Tough Mudder.  I'm not a fan of electric shock for fun in the middle of a 10 mile run that I paid a fortune for.  The nice thing is, you can skip any obstacle you aren't comfortable with - I am pretty sure you just run around and move on.  I don't know that any of those things would put you out of a tri in 3 months any more than just running and rolling your ankle, but no need to be a hero.

2015-05-01 8:23 AM

User image

Elite

I had no idea that the event had this kind of tough stuff.  No thanks.  Running is enough torture.

TW 

2015-05-01 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I have done a couple of Warrior dash's, which are shorter versions and Yes, you can skip over any obstacle by running around it. I would just say to be careful because there is always a lot of mud and water and it gets slippery.

2015-05-03 8:53 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Veteran
Austin
Well a tough mudder is mud, more mud, and some crazy obstacles. I skipped the tear gas and electric shot. Some of the events were fun. It was a good team building function. I would not do it again but I am glad I went. With all the mud I saw many contestants turn ankles.

My tri is memorial day not labor day. So I am good for it. Mehenr it is a good inter-city tri in Austin. Sprint and Olympic.

The artic plunge was fun and there was a mud crawl though about 4 small muddy ponds with 6 foot muddy hills between each pond. Going head first into a muddy soup was a fun. You could not stop your forward momentum all the time. People on your team are pushing and pulling. Everybody was laughing.

Getting over the walls sucked. My knees are a mess with scrapes. 10 miles was excessive on the run and it was overcrowded. I am glad I did it but would not pay for this type of event.
2015-05-04 12:08 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I personally like the tough mudder except for the shocks - kind of felt like you got punched on every square inch of your body, from the inside out...  Know the scene in movies and TV shows when someone get the defibulator used on them?  Now I know why that happens (at a smaller scale).

Tired my hand at homemade yogurt this weekend.  Turned out pretty nice.  I'll be doing a lot more of that.

2015-05-04 12:44 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TXwildcat Well a tough mudder is mud, more mud, and some crazy obstacles. I skipped the tear gas and electric shot. Some of the events were fun. It was a good team building function. I would not do it again but I am glad I went. With all the mud I saw many contestants turn ankles. My tri is memorial day not labor day. So I am good for it. Mehenr it is a good inter-city tri in Austin. Sprint and Olympic. The artic plunge was fun and there was a mud crawl though about 4 small muddy ponds with 6 foot muddy hills between each pond. Going head first into a muddy soup was a fun. You could not stop your forward momentum all the time. People on your team are pushing and pulling. Everybody was laughing. Getting over the walls sucked. My knees are a mess with scrapes. 10 miles was excessive on the run and it was overcrowded. I am glad I did it but would not pay for this type of event.

My favorite part of Tough Mudder was running nearly effortlessly past the crossfitters cramping up around mile 8

2015-05-04 1:21 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Kido - homemade yogurt sounds delish! I've heard it's not as hard as it sounds!

Interesting story out of my town - the gal who ran fast enough to win the local half marathon yesterday loses the title because she was running late and couldn't find parking. Her elapsed time was 1:22 but she started 6 minutes after the gun, so they recorded a 1:28 - and another gal ran it in 1:26. Oops! 

2015-05-04 2:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

Kido - homemade yogurt sounds delish! I've heard it's not as hard as it sounds!

Interesting story out of my town - the gal who ran fast enough to win the local half marathon yesterday loses the title because she was running late and couldn't find parking. Her elapsed time was 1:22 but she started 6 minutes after the gun, so they recorded a 1:28 - and another gal ran it in 1:26. Oops! 

Wow. I bet her panic over the race felt worse than the last 5k if it did

At least, it would for me!

2015-05-06 2:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I had to go to my dealership today to get a recall fixed and while I was there I asked them if they could reprogram some new key fobs, cause my original ones have been dropped so many times that they no longer work. Remember, this is original key fobs from when I got my car in 2006 from that same dealership.

Dude said he'd program them for $60, which is a half hour of labor!

Ridiculous if you asked me, so now I am searching the net trying to find out how to program them myself.

2015-05-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309

I had to go to my dealership today to get a recall fixed and while I was there I asked them if they could reprogram some new key fobs, cause my original ones have been dropped so many times that they no longer work. Remember, this is original key fobs from when I got my car in 2006 from that same dealership.

Dude said he'd program them for $60, which is a half hour of labor!

Ridiculous if you asked me, so now I am searching the net trying to find out how to program them myself.

Key fobs are a scam, it's ridiculous.  When I bought my car, one of my fobs died within a month - and it was my husband's - so it was the one not even getting used.  I brought it into the dealer and told them to replace the battery because it had only been a month and no way was I paying for that.  They were going to charge me $100/and take up a freaking hour plus to troubleshoot/repair the thing.

Are you kidding me?

After waiting for 40 minutes I went back in, I said, I have to go back to work, replace the damn battery.  At the end of the day, that's all that was wrong.  They needed their $100/hr mechanic to tell me this?  I told them that when I walked in.  I also refused to pay it, they finally agreed to credit my account or whatever.  Why overcomplicate this stuff???

ETA:  I forgot we couldn't swear here.  Whoopsie.

Edited by mehaner 2015-05-06 4:06 PM
2015-05-07 1:29 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I just replaced my key fob batteries at Interstate Battery for $8 each. They even "install" the battery for you - take apart the fob and put it back together and everything. Easy peasy. If all you need is a battery.

2015-05-08 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I just replaced my key fob batteries at Interstate Battery for $8 each. They even "install" the battery for you - take apart the fob and put it back together and everything. Easy peasy. If all you need is a battery.

I would normally do that, but after owning the car for only one month and never actually using the fob that died, I feel like Hyundai owed me that $8.

2015-05-08 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I would normally do that, but after owning the car for only one month and never actually using the fob that died, I feel like Hyundai owed me that $8.

2015-05-08 10:36 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

Darn right they do!

2015-05-12 7:34 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

I had a flat on my ride yesterday.  Then, I had the wonderful experience of exploding my only spare tube.  It went off like an exploding cigar.  This was operator error, I was just trying to put a little CO2 in the tube to fill it up lightly in the case before putting the tire back on the rim.  I normally do this with a little tiny frame pump.    For the first time with this inflator nozzle and probably the first time ever with CO2, I tried to burp a little gas in.   That little inflator is not easy to control.  The explosion brought me back from Daytona pit crew fast tire change mode.  The world suddenly was going very slowly again.  I called JWKMH, fortunately she was home, then I stood around and looked forlorn on the side of the road.  I was about 10 miles from the house so I took a while. Two Good Samaritans stopped to see if they could help.  No, I am fine.

The problem was a little shaving of metal, like the curl that a drill bit would create drilling a hole in steel, embedded in the tire.  I had brushed it out before trying to put in the spare tube and had noticed a significant cut in the rubber which went into the casing.  When I did get a tube in the tire at home, I could see a little pucker around the hole.  This is a rear tire and it has 1500 2000 miles on it but is no where near worn out.  The  front has just recently lost its eel fin.  It seems practically new to me.  I could glue in a rubber patch but in really thin tires you can always feel that bump.  Anyway, I ordered some Continental Grand Prix 4000S tires and tubes this morning, $132.  This is just the price of having fun.  My knee is very happy that I am not running very much these days.  The new tires will be here on Thursday.  I will save the front tire for a good spare.  

TW

2015-05-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Pro

It's a drill weekend for me... share your weekend plans so I can live vicariously though you!

2015-05-15 12:58 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

It's a drill weekend for me... share your weekend plans so I can live vicariously though you!

Besides the normal running and riding, I am starting to pack for my cruise, and have a few small home improvement projects on the list. Target, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot - lots of errands to do. Exciting

2015-05-15 9:34 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Been putting tons of money and time into the house this last 3-4 months.  Maybe see the light at the end of the tunnel?  New flooring, remove popcorn ceiling, repaint, retexture...  Then painted the entire outside of the house, landscaping...   shopped for new pieced of furniture, rewired the home audio...  Next is probably painting the pool deck and replastering and tiling the pool.  I guess the wife is "nesting"???  Not that we are expecting or anything.

2015-05-20 11:36 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

This weekend was an adventure. I was the commander of a convoy that took equipment to a different site here in AZ...

All 12 of my military vehicles made it with only one blown tire (on a trailer that still had 11 good ones!)

...but the bus broke down. Diesel fuel is not the same as Diesel Exhaust Fluid, despite that the Infantry thinks!

2015-05-22 11:38 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

BAM!

Have a good holiday weekend!

2015-05-22 11:50 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
what has happened to TAN? Where is everybody??

2015-05-22 6:27 PM

User image

Pro

Well, last weekend (which is when you posted this), was a great 21mi trail run on the AZ trail.

But this weekend; it's a scuba diving trip with my 11 year old daughter.  Yay!  San Carlos (Sea of Cortez) here we come!

(no running.  not a drop.  weird)

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1633 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2117 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1856 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2167 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3813 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.