in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jford2309

TAN RANT

Yesterday, on my birthday, my wife and I went to the pool for a quick Bday swim. As we got to the pool, an older woman jumped in the lane we were eyeing. At first I thought, well crap, we were slow" and starting looking at lanes to share. Then we noticed that the woman was walking laps in the swim lanes! Just so you get the full picture, the pool had four lanes designated for swimming and the rest of the pool was open for water exercise classes and what not. She took up an entire lane walking. And only walking halfway down the lane and then turning back (cause it got to deep). I could not believe it. I would never use a lane for walking when I could accomplish that in the open area. Luckily as I was getting ready to ask her to move, another lane opened up and we were able to share a lane.

Now I get that she has every right to the lane, but just because she can do it, doesn't mean she should do it.

There's a guy who does that at my pool, too. He looks like bigfoot when he walks . And the occasional aqua jogger. And the occasional guy who is doing some sort of physical therapy in the lap pool. I've been reduced to aqua-jogging before due to injury and was very aware of how the "serious swimmers" were eyeing me and I'm like "I'm one of you! I promise!". Maybe our pool set ups are different - but no way I would get in the "other" pool to do anything serious-like. It's chaos. Maybe she just wanted the serenity and structure of a lane to herself. 

You were supposed to be on my side!

2015-09-09 2:56 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

TAN RANT

Yesterday, on my birthday, my wife and I went to the pool for a quick Bday swim. As we got to the pool, an older woman jumped in the lane we were eyeing. At first I thought, well crap, we were slow" and starting looking at lanes to share. Then we noticed that the woman was walking laps in the swim lanes! Just so you get the full picture, the pool had four lanes designated for swimming and the rest of the pool was open for water exercise classes and what not. She took up an entire lane walking. And only walking halfway down the lane and then turning back (cause it got to deep). I could not believe it. I would never use a lane for walking when I could accomplish that in the open area. Luckily as I was getting ready to ask her to move, another lane opened up and we were able to share a lane.

Now I get that she has every right to the lane, but just because she can do it, doesn't mean she should do it.

There's a guy who does that at my pool, too. He looks like bigfoot when he walks . And the occasional aqua jogger. And the occasional guy who is doing some sort of physical therapy in the lap pool. I've been reduced to aqua-jogging before due to injury and was very aware of how the "serious swimmers" were eyeing me and I'm like "I'm one of you! I promise!". Maybe our pool set ups are different - but no way I would get in the "other" pool to do anything serious-like. It's chaos. Maybe she just wanted the serenity and structure of a lane to herself. 

I'm 100% on your side and would have told her to move. I've been a member of the same YMCA for 37 years and know the rules well.....I don't tend to ask lifeguards for help.  It's a swim lane, not a walk lane, it's for lap SWIMMING.  I've had to aqua jog before as well.....I do it in the open area because it's not swimming.  Sometimes it sucked with a few balls whizzing by and what not, but after all, it IS aqua jogging, it's not that "serious". 

2015-09-09 3:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I got nothing.  I haven't been in a pool since maybe November.  HOWEVER, I dusted off the swim bag the other day and through it in the car.  Baby steps.  I may even go to the pool tonight instead of doing squats.  It shall be interesting to say the least.

Oh, and Hi TAN.  It's been a while.

2015-09-09 3:19 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Kido

I got nothing.  I haven't been in a pool since maybe November.  HOWEVER, I dusted off the swim bag the other day and through it in the car.  Baby steps.  I may even go to the pool tonight instead of doing squats.  It shall be interesting to say the least.

Do both!  Get Swole!!!!

2015-09-09 3:28 PM

User image

Elite

What is this pool and this squat thing you speak of?

2015-09-09 3:51 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Do both!  Get Swole!!!!

There's a thought!  Since I'm obligated to talk about crossfit (part of the by-laws when joining), I have been getting a LOT stronger and bulking up a bit.  I can't believe how weak I was just doing triathlon.  Like I couldn't do a pull-ups, more than 12 pushups, and doing more than 30-40 squats (no weight) or situps would have me sore.  I can do SO much more not after 6 months, but OTOH, I can't believe how hard it is to run 10k with any real pace now.  I figure I can strike a balance and do both.  There is another triathlete in my class that is seriously strong AND fast - but he's a physical specimen in general.  Zero BF, hella strong, ridiculous cardio, and AG winner kind of fast.  I'm not as light as I was, but stronger and lower BF, so I'm interested to see how it impacts racing if I get back into it.

Also, as a triathlete at heart, I still scoff at the crossfitters that talk about training for a half marathon doing crossfit.  I beg them PLEASE run some before the race - and it has to be more than the 800 meters during class.  I actually got a guy running up to 10 miles before his Half Mary - somehow I became his unofficial running mentor?

2015-09-09 5:55 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

<----------------

BAM!!!  The new me, LOL...(in my head)

2015-09-10 8:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

TAN RANT

Haha I could go either way on something like that. I think each pool is a little different, too. Our lap pool is clearly welcoming to folks doing "other" stuff, but your pool may have more defined parameters. I don't like telling strangers what to do on shared equipment (and I would tell someone to get lost if they approached me like that and I wasn't doing anything "wrong") so I would naturally shy away from telling/asking someone to move - but that's just me.

Glad to see some more action around these parts!

2015-09-10 10:36 AM

User image

Elite

Me, too.  

IM Lou is about a month away.  Good luck. 

2015-09-10 10:55 AM

User image

Pro

TAN RANT

Haha I could go either way on something like that. I think each pool is a little different, too. Our lap pool is clearly welcoming to folks doing "other" stuff, but your pool may have more defined parameters. I don't like telling strangers what to do on shared equipment (and I would tell someone to get lost if they approached me like that and I wasn't doing anything "wrong") so I would naturally shy away from telling/asking someone to move - but that's just me.

You wouldn't tell anyone to "get lost" during lap swim time at our pool.  You'd move.....mostly because you'd have more than just me telling you to get out, and you would definitely be "wrong" as the rules are clear on lap swimming.  I agree that all pools may not be that way, but part of the reason I swim where I do, and have been a member for so long, is that I know when I go there during lap swim that's exactly what it's going to be.  I didn't drive there to get into an argument with someone who wants to walk in the lap swim lane, so I'm not asking. 

The truth is, at the Y where I swim.......this would NEVER come up.  Nobody who lap swims would tolerate it.  It's a crowded pool, and the rules are needed  to avoid issues like the one described.

2015-09-11 5:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Went swimming the other day for the first time since maybe November.  Wow, how the mighty have fallen...

30 minutes to do about 1000 meters? (I lost count of laps - maybe I should start a thread on how to keep track?), had to rest after each 50m for about 20 seconds...  It was humbling

BUT, still faster than everyone water walker in the pool! 

Talking to my Navy BUDS friend...  He said that even for him, where swimming miles a day was a fact of life, you can lose it FAST if you don't stay in the water.

I have a long road to haul...  IF I should feel so inclined to actually get good at swimming again.

2015-09-14 4:22 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

You keep up all that Cross Fit and you'll sink like a rock anyway.  Everyone knows that.

2015-09-14 8:40 PM

User image

Expert

Went swimming the other day for the first time since maybe November.  Wow, how the mighty have fallen...

30 minutes to do about 1000 meters? (I lost count of laps - maybe I should start a thread on how to keep track?), had to rest after each 50m for about 20 seconds...  It was humbling

BUT, still faster than everyone water walker in the pool! 

Talking to my Navy BUDS friend...  He said that even for him, where swimming miles a day was a fact of life, you can lose it FAST if you don't stay in the water.

I have a long road to haul...  IF I should feel so inclined to actually get good at swimming again.

I started swimming again 3 weeks ago after a few years off, Seems to be coming back pretty quickly. I haven't done any sets over 500yrds yet but I'm avg only 5 seconds/100 slower than I use to, poking along at 1:35/100. I went ahead and signed up for a 70.3 next year (Charlotte), figured I better get off my arse and start training so I'm in good enough shape to actually start a training.
2015-09-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yeah, it comes back faster than it takes to develop it in the first place...  Thank goodness.  I assume the same for running and biking.  I can probably get up to distance/speed much faster than it took to get their in the first place.

2015-09-15 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Correction on the race I mentioned above, I'm doing the Raleigh 70.3.

The running isn't coming back as fast as the swim, I am carrying around quite a few extra lbs than a few years back so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Todays 3 mile run at 10/mi pace wasn't easy even though it was supposed to be an easy run!
2015-10-04 8:27 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Veteran
Austin
Hook em

Man what is up with the Horns. I am worried Oklahoma, Baylor, even Texas Tech may beat them. Think Charlie will survive a 4-8 season. They can beat Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St.

My son goes to Tech the TCU game was crazy.

2015-10-05 12:22 AM

User image

Expert

Yeah, it comes back faster than it takes to develop it in the first place...  Thank goodness.  I assume the same for running and biking.  I can probably get up to distance/speed much faster than it took to get their in the first place.

Hows the swimming going? I did a 1000 continuous a few days ago. Really surprised at how fast the swimming is coming back. Still a little slower but being able to put in a 1000 and not feel exhausted after felt good.
2015-10-05 10:09 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Elite

Hey kids,  I just looked up and it was fall.  How did that happen?  Just a minute ago, it was spring and I was planning all the great summer things I was going to do.  They had summer and I missed.  Bummer.

TW

2015-10-05 2:33 PM

User image

Expert

TAN RANT

we just moved into a new neighborhood a couple of months back. I have to admit, this place is amazing. We have 6 miles of trails to run that winds through nature trails and follows along the river with water views, top notch gym with numerous fitness classes and best of all....we have an indoor 2 lane lap pool available 24/7. I have only seen two other people in the pool over the last three months!!! That's just crazy talk right there, no waiting in line, getting the boot for school swim team to practice or any of the other issues with over crowded pools...ahhh this is the life!

I really don't have any excuses to be fat, lazy and out of shape anymore.
2015-10-05 2:36 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Expert
Meh....I'm ready for fall. The wife already got 4 of those huge mums to put on the front porch to decorate it up a bit. Fall isn't official to her until she gets some of those things
2015-10-06 6:34 AM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Elite

The nice weather this week has helped get me back out on the road.  I just dread the colder weather to come.  It's a downer.

2015-10-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: TXwildcat

User image

Originally posted by TXwildcat Hook em Man what is up with the Horns. I am worried Oklahoma, Baylor, even Texas Tech may beat them. Think Charlie will survive a 4-8 season. They can beat Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St. My son goes to Tech the TCU game was crazy.

Not sure what to say about the Longhorns.  I think Strong will survive the season, even if they go 3-9.

2015-10-10 2:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by TXwildcat Hook em Man what is up with the Horns. I am worried Oklahoma, Baylor, even Texas Tech may beat them. Think Charlie will survive a 4-8 season. They can beat Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St. My son goes to Tech the TCU game was crazy.

Not sure what to say about the Longhorns.  I think Strong will survive the season, even if they go 3-9.

Of course Texas might beat the Sooners...

2015-10-26 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Just finished running Ragnar TN for the second time last weekend. I am here to

OFFICIALLY RETIRE FROM RAGNAR RACES

2015-10-26 1:55 PM

User image

Elite

Just finished running Ragnar TN for the second time last weekend. I am here to

OFFICIALLY RETIRE FROM RAGNAR RACES

What happened?

TW

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1636 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2125 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1859 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2169 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3816 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.