Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-01-21 10:09 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Going shopping to get some "after Christmas" pants.  It is hard for me to lose that 10 lbs when I keep bouncing from one injury/health problem to the next.  Yet, I still eat. 

TW

2015-01-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Drive by TAN random thought:

"Fish are just overripe caviar"

On a less random thought, should we start a 2015 TAN?

2015-01-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Pro

Originally posted by MOlsen

Drive by TAN random thought:

"Fish are just overripe caviar"

On a less random thought, should we start a 2015 TAN?

We're only 44 pages into this one!!!

2015-01-23 12:14 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

So, what adventures does this weekend have in store for you TANners?

2015-01-23 12:18 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Despite dealing with Plantar Fasciitis, I'm going to do a 25k trail run on Sunday. Should be fun! Hopefully doesn't set my recovery back too far...

2015-01-23 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Despite dealing with Plantar Fasciitis, I'm going to do a 25k trail run on Sunday. Should be fun! Hopefully doesn't set my recovery back too far...

Although it won't be as much stress as the 5k, 10k, and HM I did at Disneyland last week...

2015-01-23 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Although it won't be as much stress as the 5k, 10k, and HM I did at Disneyland last week...

Good thing you did not mention measles from your Disneyland experience.
2015-01-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Pro

Just had the oddest Craigslist experience.

Posted my dryer for free - It's broken. I had plans to repair it, but I haven't, so I'm picking up a used one this weekend.

I tell the first person that they can have it.... then this is what comes next (all via e-mail):

Me: Please send your phone number.

Them: What do u need my number for

Me: Was going to check in & verify that you're coming... or to call if you don't show. I've had a few responses and I'd like to be able to manage them.

Them: I'll be their like I said. U said 330 I'll be their at three 30. (includes phone number)

Me: Look - I don't know you, and I'm not even sure you're a real person in Tucson. I'll be calling later to confirm.

Them: Omg how do I know ur real??? I replied to your add remember.  Look forget it. Keep ur dryer it's koo.

Wow...

2015-01-27 1:23 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Them: Omg how do I know ur real??? I replied to your add remember.  Look forget it. Keep ur dryer it's koo.

Haha the pre-teens I know type better than that, even on text. 

I realize that makes me old, bu..... It's koo.

2015-01-27 1:30 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Craigslist can be a real crap shoot in terms of how crazy people can be. If I sell something, I never tell them my phone number or where I live, and I only meet them in a public place. A lot of the responses are of course scammers too that are just trying to get your contact information. I've been trying to sell my juicer to this person for the past week who keeps neglecting to actually meet me when she says that she will..

2015-01-27 1:44 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

The second responded seemed much more sane and offered up his phone number in his first response. Told him it's his. Calling with directions soon.

Agreed there are weirdos... and this one involves my address b/c it's kind of a big appliance  

2015-01-28 8:08 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by lisac957

The second responded seemed much more sane and offered up his phone number in his first response. Told him it's his. Calling with directions soon.

Agreed there are weirdos... and this one involves my address b/c it's kind of a big appliance  

I think it is interesting how we develop ways to gauge on behavior on the internet and what sort of things to be wary of.  I have just stopped using eBay and Craigslist completely because of a few scary stories.  Also, I think the drop in fun and games on BT is also a result of more caution by users.  It is hard to know whom to trust so we don't trust anyone.  

TW

2015-01-28 8:14 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Posted my dryer for free - It's broken. I had plans to repair it, but I haven't, so I'm picking up a used one this weekend.

I tell the first person that they can have it.... then this is what comes next (all via e-mail):

Me: Was going to check in & verify that you're coming... or to call if you don't show. I've had a few responses and I'd like to be able to manage them.

Them: I'll be their like I said. U said 330 I'll be their at three 30. (includes phone number)

Me: Look - I don't know you, and I'm not even sure you're a real person in Tucson. I'll be calling later to confirm.

Wow...

isn't that pretty typical of craigslist though?

2015-01-28 9:11 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

Wow...

I think so... I offered it to a more sane person, who was very late. I had to leave, so I left it out front with a note. Not sure if he got it or someone else did. 

I forgot that the best way to get rid of free stuff is to just pull it outside and post the ad until it's gone.

Now I get to play the CL game from the other side - buying a washer - and maybe some patio furniture while I have a truck

2015-01-28 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Wow...

I think so... I offered it to a more sane person, who was very late. I had to leave, so I left it out front with a note. Not sure if he got it or someone else did. 

I forgot that the best way to get rid of free stuff is to just pull it outside and post the ad until it's gone.

Now I get to play the CL game from the other side - buying a washer - and maybe some patio furniture while I have a truck

CL scares me.  My husband has used it (with zero issues) many times, but I'm just not interested in taking that plunge.

2015-01-28 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Wow...

CL scares me.  My husband has used it (with zero issues) many times, but I'm just not interested in taking that plunge.

I'm a little scared of CL too, but we have a brand new fridge that we need to sell.  Are there any "safer" ways to sell stuff?  

2015-01-28 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Wow...

I'm a little scared of CL too, but we have a brand new fridge that we need to sell.  Are there any "safer" ways to sell stuff?  

The wife knows something that we tried to get rid of a sectional couch with the remodel - Ill see if I can't get her to tell me.  Honestly, We just ended up donating everything and will take the write off.  I know we could have probably taken all the time and effort to sell it through CL or yard sales and made maybe $1000-$1500, but with everything else going in, just was easier to donate.

I tried to sell my motorcycle on CL and just got crap offers.  Nothing even RESEMBLING what I actually posted.  Most were trades or 10% of the asking amount.  One was a beat down 1978 Lincoln for an even trade.  Why on earth would a sell a perfectly good motorcycle for a piece of red neck lawn art?  Some of the offers were so insulting, I felt like saying "yes" and taking their $200 bucks, then smash the motorcycle in front of them and throw their money back at them.  I would rather smash it just so they can't have it than take $200 instead of the $3500 I asked for.

Edited by Kido 2015-01-28 4:42 PM
2015-01-29 6:22 AM
in reply to: #5004399

User image

Davenport, IA
What's up TAN? Long time no see.
2015-01-29 7:18 AM
in reply to: Sprint_DA

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Sprint_DA What's up TAN? Long time no see.

TAN is kinda slow.  Seems everybody has run out of good material.

TW

2015-01-29 9:15 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Wow...

The wife knows something that we tried to get rid of a sectional couch with the remodel - Ill see if I can't get her to tell me.  Honestly, We just ended up donating everything and will take the write off.  I know we could have probably taken all the time and effort to sell it through CL or yard sales and made maybe $1000-$1500, but with everything else going in, just was easier to donate.

I tried to sell my motorcycle on CL and just got crap offers.  Nothing even RESEMBLING what I actually posted.  Most were trades or 10% of the asking amount.  One was a beat down 1978 Lincoln for an even trade.  Why on earth would a sell a perfectly good motorcycle for a piece of red neck lawn art?  Some of the offers were so insulting, I felt like saying "yes" and taking their $200 bucks, then smash the motorcycle in front of them and throw their money back at them.  I would rather smash it just so they can't have it than take $200 instead of the $3500 I asked for.

Most of my "selling" on CL has been giving away. On a few of my moves, I've just posted a curb alert and left stuff outside until it was gone. Holy cow it disappears quickly - but I figured it'd be easier than making like $50ish trying to set up a sale.

We've got some awesome second-hand markets in town - two FB pages for biking/running stuff, and a used bookstore opened up a sports consignment thing, too. I took a ton of stuff there and got like $150 in store credit (their offers for cash are TERRIBLE). But, I'll use it. They have stuff like bike tubes so it'll be easy to spend it over time.

I've had a lot of luck buying furniture (my bed, dining room table and treadmill), but I just don't have the patience to sell on there. 

Oddly enough, I found my current job on CL - small companies without the $$ to post on big job sites tend to use it.

2015-01-29 11:32 AM

User image

Elite

The sun has peeped out.  It has been a while since that's happened.  I think I shall go for a short run.  I have been fat, dumb and happy all winter.  Now i need to work on the fat part.  

Weight loss for me really depends on exercising about an hour a day.  I have tried to get started exercising toward that level several times recently and had something flare up to stop me.  I have developed a knee problem that is mostly affected by running.  At Christmas, I was in California without a bike or pool so I ran several days in a row.  The knee flared up and stayed sore for a couple of weeks.  Before that, I had the BPPV thing while biking.   A friend who has had a couple of BPPV episodes has told me swimming freestyle is a problem for her.   Right now, I am going very slow and short on all exercise so it really does not have much effect on calorie expenditure.  I have ridden the exercise bike for the last three days.  Even that has made my knee a little stiff.

Getting old basically sucks.

2015-01-30 8:13 AM

User image

Elite

I have spent a lifetime trying to become the most boring person on the planet.  I can report today that I succeeded.

2015-01-30 11:47 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Maybe I'm giving me/us way too much credit, but there was a large "issue" that happened at the office (small office) and me and the only other project manager are actively seeking employment elsewhere with 1 or 2 drafters ready to follow us.

They might get through it, but I have a feeling that could destroy this company (all the project managers leaving).  They are NOT going to get quality people to take our place without changes to benefits and salary OR keep them here based on the "issue" that we had.

I honestly don't know how to handle the departure.  Just bow out gracefully or tell them where they went wrong?  Crazy how one thing can destroy what years built.

Leave biting my tongue or tell them why I left?

2015-01-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

Maybe I'm giving me/us way too much credit, but there was a large "issue" that happened at the office (small office) and me and the only other project manager are actively seeking employment elsewhere with 1 or 2 drafters ready to follow us.

They might get through it, but I have a feeling that could destroy this company (all the project managers leaving).  They are NOT going to get quality people to take our place without changes to benefits and salary OR keep them here based on the "issue" that we had.

I honestly don't know how to handle the departure.  Just bow out gracefully or tell them where they went wrong?  Crazy how one thing can destroy what years built.

Leave biting my tongue or tell them why I left?

Tell them why you left, but in a professional way.  For example, I left my job 2 jobs ago cause my boss was an inefficient .  I FELT this way because I presented a case for a promotion, got 2 colleagues to back me up, and he still refused to give it because I had a project that was cancelled by a customer (no longer needed, not any fault of me/my company).  So I told him that I deserved that promotion and would go somewhere where my skills were recognized.  I did not tell him that he was an inefficient .

So, tell them that you are leaving for more competitive compensation for your experience, and, I'm assuming this incident was a moral/ethical issue, to be employed somewhere more aligned with your personal beliefs.  You gain nothing by telling him he's a cheating douche that deserves what he's getting, even if that's how you feel.

ETA:  BT edited out the noun i used to describe my boss.  I didn't even think it was that bad of a word.  It starts with PR and ends with ICK.

Edited by mehaner 2015-01-30 12:23 PM
2015-01-30 1:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Agree with MEH - if there's an opportunity to have a discussion like an exit interview, you can politely and generically word why you're leaving. The details won't do much good besides burning bridges. 

When I left my last company I said something like I was so grateful for everything I learned and I'd felt like I really "grew up" at the company and that holds a lot of value. But after nearly 9 years I felt stagnated and ready for a change. Plus this was an opportunity to move into a role with more responsibility, something that wasn't an immediate option where I was. 

All of that was true, but I left out the details that would have made me sound bitter and ungrateful.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1633 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2119 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1856 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2167 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3813 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.