General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 17s
Overall Rank = 5/315
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 2/30
Pre-race routine:

Saturday afternoon put the race wheels on the bike for the first time this season, did a few mounts/dismounts, stripped off extra bottle mounts and whatnot from the bike, adjusted the new aero helmet a bit. Then the normal routine, loaded car the night before, had decided to sleep in and arrive at transition later than normal due to supposedly assigned spaces and the hour between Oly and Sprint starts, turns out they weren't assigned spots only assigned racks, fortunately I still got a nice end spot. It was nice waking up and looking at the clock realizing that I could be arriving at the race right now, then having a leisurely breakfast before heading out.
Event warmup:

biked ~1 mile, mostly to check function
Jogged ~1 mile
Swam ~10 min
Swim
  • 07m 36s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lined up second row of the corral on the inside, the pack didn't dissipate much before the first turn and it was very tight, then started catching the wave ahead on the back stretch and had a lot of traffic all over the place on the last leg. Swam relaxed and comfortable the whole way, didn't go out too fast, just treated it as a nice warmup for the race to follow.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, go out too hard then find some feet, swimming at a comfortable pace is just giving up time. Gave up 37s to an evenly paced race, about a minute on average to those who finished ahead of me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Nothing spectacular here, transition spot was at the far "Run" end of the transition area right near the entrance from the swim so I had to hustle to get wetsuit partially stripped prior to arriving at bike. Managed to turn my Garmin off while switching sports, what the heck, amateur hour? immediately realized what I did and got it fired back up but was just into the bike before it started working again. The run out of transition with my bike took forever, 140m per my Garmin and you can watch speed drop as my feet hurt more and more.

Toughen up my feet a bit, although I think this was an abnormally long transition run or something because everyone was hurting. Only lost 1 second to an evenly paced effort here.
Bike
  • 33m 5s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode conservatively, came out of transition as a couple of the faster long course guys were heading into their 2nd lap but they were gone quickly, then just rode my own race, traffic wasn't too bad, averaged just under 250W but felt like I could have held that for another lap of two, last year I think 250W was my low for an Olympic distance, my bike fitness is acceptable this year, comparable to last but a little lower, just didn't feel like going too hard this morning. I console myself during the ride that I'm just setting up a good run.

Go harder, a good sprint course pace usually involves throwing up just a little bit once or twice. Made up 15s to an evenly paced effort here.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Loooong run from the dismount to my bike and nicely cushioned running shoes. Feet hurt so bad again. Put on socks.

Not much, maybe commit to not wearing socks for short races but I didn't want sand and gravel in my shoes today. Gave up 10s to an evenly paced race.
Run
  • 19m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 about 100m behind an Oly guy who I run about the same pace as, being in the sprint I figured I dang well better catch him, so set to work doing that, it was a nice pace setting opportunity and got him before the first hill, maybe 3/4 miles in. Iron Band was blasting "Beverly Hills" when we went by and that song stayed in my head the whole race as it had the perfect cadence. Mile 1 went by in 6:19. Next up was slowly reeling in a sprint guy from my heat but different age group and he finally broke on the shady hill near the end of the second mile. Mile 2 was also 6:19. Last mile there was another long course dude finishing up a well placed string of rabbits to chase throughout the run, last mile went by in 6:03.

Tweaked my left ankle in the offroad bit right at the finish line, just an old injury that never fully healed and gets aggravated a couple times a year, a few days and it should be fine again.

Swim and bike harder so I run slower and can't turn a big negative split. Gained 34 seconds to an evenly paced effort here, almost as much as I lost swimming. This was within 10s of my last open 5K so definitely din't use up enough of the tank swimming and biking.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath, then had a beer or two and chatted while waiting around for awards. Got a sweet beer stein for 2nd in my age group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inadequate swim volume and an unwillingness to truly suffer. Really a very solid race, got a couple things I can address on the bike and the swim is no worse than the last couple years, better considering what I've been putting in to it. I think there has been an influx of fast young talent, 3 of the top 4 were under 19, that is nice to see.

Event comments:

Good to be back at the KC Tri, a well run event. I sprung for the VIP experience hoping my family would come out but the kid's sleeping schedule did not allow, also the extra VIP swag pretty much offsets the cost.

Last updated: 2014-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:36 | 500 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/30
Overall: 13/315
Performance: Average
Suit: Fit2Race Sockeye
Course: CCW Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:05 | 12.43 miles | 22.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/30
Overall: 3/315
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Y shaped course with 3 180's
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:07 | 03.11 miles | 06m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/30
Overall: 3/315
Performance: Good
Course: Figure 8 loop, mile 1 on asphalt road then last 2 miles on gravel trails. Nice little hill near mile 1. Iron Band about 1/4 mile into the course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-05-30 4:29 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-05-31 8:36 AM
in reply to: #5004616

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course
Killer performance Mike! Not suffering enough? Yeah, a 6:03 mlle at the end, you're definitely slacking big time! I agree, for a 500m swim you should be killing it almost the whole way, you're too fit for that to make a big impact on the rest of the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1630 Posts: 2

2014-05-31 8:42 AM reecealan

Started by dprocket
Views: 1514 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:01 PM dprocket

Started by reecealan
Views: 1458 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:31 PM dprocket

Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Ranski
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2014-05-23 8:36 AM Ranski

Kansas City Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1374 Posts: 2

2014-05-31 8:57 AM reecealan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.