General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How cold is too cold? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-02 8:29 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: How cold is too cold?
Had a dip in Lake Ontario to test out my new tri-suit yesterday. Local water quality monitoring listed the water temperature as 9C.

Frankly it was brutal. Virtually impossible to get my head in the water and exhale. I took a good while to try an acclimatize and calm down but only managed a little breast stroke with my head out of the water and some Tarzan style front crawl.

Full tri-suit and swim cap did no offer enough protection. I though I was brave but my body said a firm no.

What would you guys say is the lowest reasonable OWS temperature? Without the protection of a wet-suit or neo swim cap?

2014-06-02 8:51 AM
in reply to: #5005499

Subject: RE: How cold is too cold?
The coldest I've swum in is 55F...in a race. It wasn't supposed to be that cold (lake Michigan, rolled overnight) and all I had was my sleeveless wetsuit. It was the hardest swim I've ever done and not one I'd willingly repeat without a squid lid and sleeves!
2014-06-02 8:53 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
For me 13C is doable but I would want a neoprene cap and booties for that, 15C much better but ideally I want the water to be 17 or 18C or warmer as I like to go Sleeveless Wetsuit, and at the lower temps I would have to breakout the fullsuit. At 9C that just frigging Crazy Crazy Too Too Cold BRRR.
2014-06-02 8:56 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Pro

The are cold water survivial tables that list 9C as survivable for 1-3 hours....with exaustion or unconciousness in 30-60 minutes. 

2014-06-02 9:04 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RRH_88

For me 13C is doable but I would want a neoprene cap and booties for that, 15C much better but ideally I want the water to be 17 or 18C or warmer as I like to go Sleeveless Wetsuit, and at the lower temps I would have to breakout the fullsuit. At 9C that just frigging Crazy Crazy Too Too Cold BRRR.

I agree with the 13c. That is the cut-off for racing with triathlon Quebec. I went in the lake yesterday at 13 without a wetsuit. I didn't stay in too long :-)
2014-06-02 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
9C is certainly too cold. I once tried a swim in prep for a cold swim in 47F (8.33C) wearing a full wetsuit and two caps. I didn't make it 50 yards. Just too cold and my body was telling me get the heck outta here. I am a fishy and as stubborn as they come but this just wasn't happening.

Not sure where the line was but 9C is a definite no-go for me.

2014-06-02 10:31 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Stuartap

9C is certainly too cold. I once tried a swim in prep for a cold swim in 47F (8.33C) wearing a full wetsuit and two caps. I didn't make it 50 yards. Just too cold and my body was telling me get the heck outta here. I am a fishy and as stubborn as they come but this just wasn't happening.

Not sure where the line was but 9C is a definite no-go for me.

I kept thinking it was just a mind over matter issue and that if I could adjust it would be fine. Yet every time I dunked my head I could not force myself to exhale. Amazing the body's protective reaction.
2014-06-02 10:36 AM

User image

over a barrier
Spirit of Racine was 54-55 one year. I wouldn't put my face into the water until the first turn buoy and I had neoprene hood. Ice cream headache.
2014-06-02 10:50 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Cold water tolerance is something that can be built by repeated exposure, which will increase your brown fat (the stuff that protects your organs) and extend the amount of time you can be 'comfortable' if you want to call it that. I've tried putting vaseline on my face to lessen the blow, but yes it still sucks, even with a full wetsuit on. In Lynn Cox's book, "Swimming to Antarctica" she talks about how even though she has an amazing cold water tolerance, it still feels miserable, she's just able to stay alive longer than the rest of us. It's amazing to watch these little old guys in San Francisco jump into the 52 degree bay (11 celcius) with nothing but their speedo on, like it's no big deal. Maybe that's some kind of super power that you only get as you age into the golden years.
2014-06-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Can I say we should require threads like this to be in F and not C?   LOL.  Too much thinking for me.

I've done numerous swims in 55 degree water and have been good.  Cold at first, but after a bit of moving around, filling the wetsuit up, taking a nice long pee, I'm good to go.

2014-06-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
With water temperatures that cold you need to be careful in the beginning. Start short and slowly and then lengthen the swims a bit every time.

Usually only the first 1-3 minutes are brutal and then you get used to it.

If swimming in those temps make sure that you are NOT alone and don't go that far from shore as it can get critical quite fast and if you stay too long or get too cold your energy goes with no time.

Just my 2 cents from Iceland (where we swim in this kind of temps all summer long...)

2014-06-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: Joblin

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Joblin

With water temperatures that cold you need to be careful in the beginning. Start short and slowly and then lengthen the swims a bit every time.

Usually only the first 1-3 minutes are brutal and then you get used to it.

If swimming in those temps make sure that you are NOT alone and don't go that far from shore as it can get critical quite fast and if you stay too long or get too cold your energy goes with no time.

Just my 2 cents from Iceland (where we swim in this kind of temps all summer long...)

Sage advice. I had my wife on shore keeping an eye on me.

Don't think I will be trying it again. The proof of concept for the trisuit went well. Discovered a label in the back that was irritating me so glad that will be gone before I race in the suit.
2014-06-02 2:02 PM

User image

Exton, PA
coldest was a sprint last year at 55°F, I wore a sleevless wetsuit with no problems. many people did have problems, even a friend of mine(ex-swimmer) took half the race before being able to keep his face in.

Second coldest was a sprint about 5 years ago 56°F, I did that one without a wetsuit! luckily the air temp was warm that day.
2014-06-02 2:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

Suwanee, Georgia

Honestly, anything colder than 65 degrees i just don't want to do anymore. We went to Lake Lanier by me in March for a OWS test to get the tri season started. (and to help a friend realize what he was getting into with Escape from Alcatraz) I think the water *might* have been 58. It was not a productive swim experience, unless you count the calories burned from shivering.

2014-06-02 5:30 PM
in reply to: ctowne

User image

Although I still prefer F for water temp myself; the US, Burma, and Liberia are the last countries to let it go of Imperial and convert. Swimming in yards....? Ugh.

My personal cut-off is 59F. That said acclimation training is awesome and cold water is FAST WATER.

Watching a 51km Lake Ontario crossing client do 7km training/acclimation swims in 60F no wetsuit yesterday.
2014-06-02 9:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Can I say we should require threads like this to be in F and not C?   LOL.  Too much thinking for me. 

There are 204 countries in the world and out of all those there are only 3 backwater countries which don't use the metric system (Liberia, Myanmar, & United States of America).  So I think we should require threads like this to always be in Celsius.  

Edited by Chillin 2014-06-02 9:24 PM

2014-06-02 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
The advice from Iceland is good! 48F is as low as I've gone, and it's doable. It's *always* best and safest to get used to the water for a couple of hundred yards before a cold swim, and it does happen - with the right gear, the icy knives go away after 2 or 3 hundred yards.

Gear. I always give this advice, and have a lot of experience in the chilly Pacific on the Central Coast. Being warm is all about your forehead, and the "cap sandwich" does the job at these temperatures. Latex/neoprene/latex pulled close to your eyebrows is *very* effective. A mask like an Aquasphere Vista helps, and is warmer than Goggles, since it also helps prevent ice cream headache. Everything else like gloves, booties, and earplugs is optional. *It's all about your forehead.*

Practice in water like you'll race in, or colder. Make a point of getting comfortable enough to breath well, to exhale well.

One nice trick, though not as essential as caps, is to pour water into your wetsuit. Bring a bottle of warm water, but in a pinch, even cold water is good. This is all about getting the inside of your suit up to body temperature, and avoiding the spears of ice that freak people out. If you do this stuff, the water will be like the tropics compared to what unprepared swimmers will go through.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How cold is too cold? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How cold is too cold sans wetsuit?

Started by Offthegrid
Views: 1408 Posts: 24

2006-12-29 8:35 AM So Fresh So Clean

How cold is TOO cold?

Started by justalittletri
Views: 1433 Posts: 23

2006-04-05 10:49 AM rollinbones

How cold is too cold!?

Started by sblack
Views: 931 Posts: 8

2005-04-21 10:41 AM madeye

How cold is too cold?

Started by stevenrh
Views: 1315 Posts: 18

2005-01-15 10:33 PM kausnfxx

Breathing cold air... inducing asthma/ chest cold

Started by TriBarbie
Views: 2206 Posts: 13

2004-11-01 1:01 PM StaceyH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!
date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!
date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.

date : April 17, 2005
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.