General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike - Cervelo vs. Specialized, or something else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-02 8:48 AM

User image

Subject: New Bike - Cervelo vs. Specialized, or something else?
I'm looking to upgrade my road bike, as I'm currently on a slightly too big Giant OCR1W and would like a carbon bike, ideally with 105 or better group set.

I do sprint through 70.3 distances, though I may be taking a break from the 70.3 distance after my upcoming race in 3 weeks and focus more on the Olympic distance. Where I live I mainly ride on flat roads, by myself. I have clip on aero bars on my Giant and find myself in that position the majority of the time. For a time I was considering a triathlon bike, but think an upgrade road bike would be better for my needs.

I was recently fit on a 2013 Specialized Amira Elite (48cm). I liked the bike, but not thrilled with the paint scheme (white/green), and I also felt my shop was really trying to push that bike since they happened to have it in my size and it's from last year. Unfortunately they didn't give me any other options, just that the Amira Elite was the best choice for me, which bothered me.

So I went to a different shop (in another city) and road the Specialized Alias (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/alias/alias-sport-tri#specs), which I really liked. But since it's a new model this year and they're marketing it as a road/tri hybrid kind of bike, there aren't many reviews on it. The price seems a bit high as well?

I also really like the Cervelo S2 (http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/s-series/s2.html) - but a higher price tag than the Specialized Alias. My shop tried telling me I wouldn't be able to fit on a 48 Cervelo, that it would be too long, but the other shop said it would be fine?? Unfortunately the other shop didn't have a 48 for me to ride, but put me on a 51 on the trainer where it felt comfortable enough with their adjustments, and they said the 48 would be the size for me.

Other options:
My local shop has a 2012 Felt ZW4 in my size for $2300 - though I'd want to get it cheaper than that seeing as it's 2 years old now. I haven't seen or ridden this bike yet (though from google it's mostly white which I'm kind of eh about)
Maybe the Fuji Supreme line? Something from Cannondale or Trek? I haven't checked those options out yet either.

Also, with a 70.3 race only 3 weeks away, would it be better to wait to buy a new bike or would I be okay getting a new one now and using it during the race?

Any and all thoughts/comments/opinions are welcome! Thanks!

2014-06-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: Sunkissed7

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: New Bike - Cervelo vs. Specialized, or something else?
Can't really help w/ what bike(s) to recommend. I've been looking myself, and the more I look, the more confused I get. IMHO, 3 weeks is way too much rush. I think it takes longer than that to get a new bike dialed in and feeling just right. Also, that rushes you into making a too quick decision when it seems like you really need to keep checking the various options out to make sure you end up with what you really want. For myself, IF I spring for a new ride, I'll want to be really sure it is what I'm going to want for quite some time . . .
2014-06-03 6:19 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Lots of questions in there… First 3 weeks is very little time to really get used to the handling of the bike. And that's assuming you have a good bike to start with and one that is possible to duplicate on your new bike.

The first shop is actually correct… if you fit well on the Amira (which is the female version of the Tarmac SL4, so a really, really good bike btw), then the Cervelo will be long for you. But that's not the whole story though… the S2 also has a much taller head tube, so you may not be able to get into the right position.

Big question, the second shop you went to, did they do a fitting or did you have your fit numbers with you? If they just threw out there that a 48cm S2 would fit fine, then I would leave as fast as I possibly could. Without a fit, it's IMPOSSIBLE to say if a bike will fit or not. You can guess, but not know.

You're also talking about a lot of different brands… not a good idea…. Start off with a bike fit, then take those fit numbers and look at what bike is closest to those. That's the one you should get.

If your current Giant fits you well, they do make a VERY aero women's bike in the Envie.
2014-06-03 6:41 AM

User image

speaking as someone who rode a 48cm cervelo for 4 eyars that was too long slightly, you don't want that...I was never truely comfortable in aero for long periods of time - and we did a lot of finalging on fit (new LBS when I loved).

I would listen to your shop, yeah, it might seem like they were pushing the Amira on you - honestly, does paint color really matter? if it bugs you that much find someone that will do a custom paint job on it - I mean, heck, my trek is white with brown and black

I would hold off doing anything until after your 70.3 though, stick to what you know and then if you still want a new bike, find a place that does a retul fitting or has a guru fit machine and get one of those done - the guru will tell you exactly what brand bikes/styles will fit you based on your measurements and then how you ride the bike - best money I ever spent
2014-06-03 8:06 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

What other have said above, go get measured to figure out your measurements, then start looking at bikes.  I rode a 47cm Specialized Ruby with aerobars for 6 years, this year I have upgraded and now riding at Sm (50?cm) Quintana Roo.  Fit and comfort are the most important aspects of a bike.

2014-06-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Originally posted by audiojan

Lots of questions in there… First 3 weeks is very little time to really get used to the handling of the bike. And that's assuming you have a good bike to start with and one that is possible to duplicate on your new bike.

The first shop is actually correct… if you fit well on the Amira (which is the female version of the Tarmac SL4, so a really, really good bike btw), then the Cervelo will be long for you. But that's not the whole story though… the S2 also has a much taller head tube, so you may not be able to get into the right position.

Big question, the second shop you went to, did they do a fitting or did you have your fit numbers with you? If they just threw out there that a 48cm S2 would fit fine, then I would leave as fast as I possibly could. Without a fit, it's IMPOSSIBLE to say if a bike will fit or not. You can guess, but not know.

You're also talking about a lot of different brands… not a good idea…. Start off with a bike fit, then take those fit numbers and look at what bike is closest to those. That's the one you should get.

If your current Giant fits you well, they do make a VERY aero women's bike in the Envie.

Sorry about so many questions in one post!

I agree it's too close to my race, so whatever I do I'll ride my current bike in the race. I'm still going to get a new bike, as I have wanted one for quite some time now.

Thanks (to all) for the feedback on the Cervelo. The 2nd shop did not really do a fitting - they put me on a 51 on a trainer and moved stuff around and said a 48 would work - and I didn't have my fit numbers with me at the time (I had to ask my LBS to send them to me as I didn't get them after the fitting there; and I have them now but they aren't very informative, part of why I was disappointed overall in the fitting there).

My current Giant doesn't quite fit me, I believe it's actually a size too large (it's a S and I think I should be on an XS).

2014-06-03 8:42 AM

User image

Originally posted by Sunkissed7

I agree it's too close to my race, so whatever I do I'll ride my current bike in the race. I'm still going to get a new bike, as I have wanted one for quite some time now.

Thanks (to all) for the feedback on the Cervelo. The 2nd shop did not really do a fitting - they put me on a 51 on a trainer and moved stuff around and said a 48 would work - and I didn't have my fit numbers with me at the time (I had to ask my LBS to send them to me as I didn't get them after the fitting there; and I have them now but they aren't very informative, part of why I was disappointed overall in the fitting there).

My current Giant doesn't quite fit me, I believe it's actually a size too large (it's a S and I think I should be on an XS).

I personally wouldn't trust someone who just puts a bike on a trainer and moved stuff around - that is how I ended up with a cervelo that didn't fit me...because that is how they fit. Then after a couple of seasons with injuries where I didn't race and a move, I went into my new LBS and had them do a fitting - they put stickers on me and took photos/did video to get positioning, measured angles etc...but I was asking tons of questions and having them explain to me - if you aren't (or don't appear) to be interested in that, your LBS might have just foregone explaining what everything meant, how the various angles worked etc

what about a Trek? I love me (so i'm kind of biased) - that is what I went to after the cervelo and it was like night/day different - my local store carried cervelo, trek, cannondale and felt as their 4 main brands because they find those cover the majority of riders size/fit wise - they used to carry guru but moved away from it because it was similar to cannondale (I think), and they wanted to add cervelo to their stock, because it has a longer reach than some of the other ones
2014-06-03 8:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by austhokie

speaking as someone who rode a 48cm cervelo for 4 eyars that was too long slightly, you don't want that...I was never truely comfortable in aero for long periods of time - and we did a lot of finalging on fit (new LBS when I loved).

I would listen to your shop, yeah, it might seem like they were pushing the Amira on you - honestly, does paint color really matter? if it bugs you that much find someone that will do a custom paint job on it - I mean, heck, my trek is white with brown and black

I would hold off doing anything until after your 70.3 though, stick to what you know and then if you still want a new bike, find a place that does a retul fitting or has a guru fit machine and get one of those done - the guru will tell you exactly what brand bikes/styles will fit you based on your measurements and then how you ride the bike - best money I ever spent

Thanks for the feedback. I think I've written off the Cervelo, much to my disappointment, based on the fit but also the price.

I know it's a bit superficial to worry about the paint color, but I would like to have a bike with a paint color I really like/love. I settled on my Giant and didn't really want to do that again, though seeing as it's not easy to come by a size 48 I may have to make due with the white/green color scheme.

When I got the fitting at my LBS, I expected to find a couple of brand bikes/styles that would fit me. Not just the one option, and I think part of that is why I'm holding back on it. While I know the Amira is a great bike, I at least wanted a couple of options to consider.

Speaking of, I went back to my LBS yesterday and rode the Amira again. It's a 2013 and they'd sell it to me for $2k.

I also rode a 2012 Felt ZW4, which was a nice bike but the set-up felt a lot like my Giant and I like the more aggressive/race positioning of the Amira. So that's out.

They also have a 44cm Fuji SL1-Pro, which has some Ultegra components which would be a nice upgrade, for $1800 (and I like the carbon/white/red color better). However, I wasn't fit on this bike so I'd want that to be done before I made a decision on it, as they originally told me the Fuji geometry wouldn't work for me.
They told me it was a 2012, but when I got home and did some research I found it's actually a 2010 ... which I'd think would knock a bit more off the price? Seeing as it's a really small 4 year old bike they are keeping in their warehouse.
Need to research a bit about this bike though.
2014-06-03 8:50 AM

User image

Originally posted by austhokie

I personally wouldn't trust someone who just puts a bike on a trainer and moved stuff around - that is how I ended up with a cervelo that didn't fit me...because that is how they fit. Then after a couple of seasons with injuries where I didn't race and a move, I went into my new LBS and had them do a fitting - they put stickers on me and took photos/did video to get positioning, measured angles etc...but I was asking tons of questions and having them explain to me - if you aren't (or don't appear) to be interested in that, your LBS might have just foregone explaining what everything meant, how the various angles worked etc

what about a Trek? I love me (so i'm kind of biased) - that is what I went to after the cervelo and it was like night/day different - my local store carried cervelo, trek, cannondale and felt as their 4 main brands because they find those cover the majority of riders size/fit wise - they used to carry guru but moved away from it because it was similar to cannondale (I think), and they wanted to add cervelo to their stock, because it has a longer reach than some of the other ones

That other shop isn't one I'll be going back to anyway - it's over an hour away so it doesn't make sense for me to go back there.

I went into a different LBS yesterday to look at Trek and Cannondale (specifically I wanted to look at the Synapse Carbon 5), and they weren't particularly helpful. Didn't have anything in my size. They have a few locations and I'll be out by a different one today so I may stop in there to see if they will be more helpful.

The other LBS I had the fitting done at is the only one in the area who carries Specialized, Cervelo and Fuji.
2014-06-03 12:12 PM

User image

being as you are small like me (my TREK is an XS), i've found my LBS don't necessarily carry bikes in my size and that they may have to order. I was just lucky that they had a TREK Speed Concept 7.0 that someone had ordered and then changed their mind in my size

with the paint colors, i don't know about other brands, but Trek seems to do 2 color schemes a year for the womens - one for the aluminum frame (i think it was like a powder blue last year) and then one for the carbon fiber (it was this orangy-brown color) - the new years colors are only marginally better - i think one is like bright green and white...lol!
2014-06-03 12:59 PM

User image

It's so tough when they don't carry your size - how am I supposed to make a decision?!

I stopped by another LBS today to look at Trek and Cannondale. In talking to the guy at the shop there isn't really anything in Trek that works for me, but at their shop another city over they have a 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo Women's 5 (http://www.cannondale.com/2014/bikes/women-s/elite-road/supersix-evo-womens/supersix-evo-women-s-5-105), which he's going to bring over for me to take a look at on Thursday.

I think I'm leaning towards the Specialized Amira, despite not being thrilled with the color. My other options at this point are the Fuji SL1LE Pro (2010 or 2011? The shop said 2012 at first, then when I called back said 2011 but according to Fuji's website I think it might be a 2010) or the Cannondale Supersix.

It's so hard!!

2014-06-03 2:00 PM

User image

It's so tough when they don't carry your size - how am I supposed to make a decision?!

I stopped by another LBS today to look at Trek and Cannondale. In talking to the guy at the shop there isn't really anything in Trek that works for me, but at their shop another city over they have a 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo Women's 5 (http://www.cannondale.com/2014/bikes/women-s/elite-road/supersix-evo-womens/supersix-evo-women-s-5-105), which he's going to bring over for me to take a look at on Thursday.

I think I'm leaning towards the Specialized Amira, despite not being thrilled with the color. My other options at this point are the Fuji SL1LE Pro (2010 or 2011? The shop said 2012 at first, then when I called back said 2011 but according to Fuji's website I think it might be a 2010) or the Cannondale Supersix.

It's so hard!!

nothing in Trek that works for you? that makes no sense - what does he mean by that? price range, sizing, style? that sounds like complete BS to me (says the girl riding a trek currently)
2014-06-03 2:11 PM

User image

No no, of course there is a Trek that could work for me, I just ruled them out myself I looked at the Madone 3.1 but don't like that color scheme, and for a similar price point I'd go with the Specialized with better components.
I like the new Silque, but the one I'd want is outside my budget by quite a bit!
2014-06-03 2:22 PM

User image

No no, of course there is a Trek that could work for me, I just ruled them out myself I looked at the Madone 3.1 but don't like that color scheme, and for a similar price point I'd go with the Specialized with better components.
I like the new Silque, but the one I'd want is outside my budget by quite a bit!

are you looking at a road bike or a tri bike? because I think the Madone is a road

i'd love a specialized but everything I saw put it way out of my price range
2014-06-03 3:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I went back and forth for a while on whether to get a tri bike or upgrade my road bike. After a lot of consideration and talking to LBS, I think it makes more sense to upgrade my road bike, but because I ride often in aeros and will use the bike for races, I'm looking for a "racing" road bike (which Cannondale refers to as "elite road" and Specialized as "competitive"). My Giant is an endurance bike, which is more upright than I'd like my next bike to be.

When I test rode the Felt it felt the same as my Giant since it's also an endurance set up. I noticed a difference riding the Specialized and the Fuji that they were more aggressive positionings. The Cannondale Supersix is supposed to be similar, so I'll see how that one feels too.

Edited by Sunkissed7 2014-06-03 3:08 PM
2014-06-04 4:59 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The SuperSix is a very nice bike, but again, you're jumping between brands and models a lot… and to be very blunt, not all of them can possibly fit you. Can you buy a bike without a bike fit? Of course you can, but unless you really KNOW you fit, there's a very good chance that you'll end up with a bike that either is ill-fitting or can only be fitted with a series of compromises. If it was my money, I would use the data from your bike fit and then narrow it down to the closest candidates in terms of brands/models.

2015-07-24 6:58 PM

Hi, just wondering what bike you wound up with! I own both a Specialized Amira, the bike my bike fitter picked for me, and the Cervelo P3, the bike I thought I should have for racing triathlons. I LOVE the Specialized Amira. It's fast, it's comfortable, it's all white, I love the way it looks. I am totally happy with it. Meanwhile, I can't warm up to the Cervelo. I am uncomfortable on the aero bars. Very uncomfortable. They feel wobbly and practice as I might, I don't feel as steady or as safe.
I just asked our our coach which one I should take to Nationals and he said the one you're comfortable on. So the Specialized Amira is heading for Milwaukee. Hopefully, I will learn to like the Cervelo and race with it soon because it was very expensive. I just don't like riding it. Sigh. Will probably wind up selling it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike - Cervelo vs. Specialized, or something else? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New bike Felt B16 vs Slice Carbon 5 vs Trinity Composite 2

Started by TahoeTexan
Views: 1910 Posts: 4

2013-01-23 1:23 PM audiojan

Question About Sizing: Specialized VS Cervelo

Started by BuffaloTim
Views: 1238 Posts: 2

2009-12-04 12:15 AM audiojan

'08 Cervelo P3 Carbon Vs. '09 Specialized Transition Comp

Started by rjray
Views: 3476 Posts: 6

2009-09-14 8:35 PM mdg2003

Specialized bike fit-2d vs 3d

Started by bengalsfan
Views: 1495 Posts: 2

2008-05-21 5:23 PM Gregkl

Specialized Transition Comp vs other $1800 bikes

Started by andyp
Views: 819 Posts: 4

2006-03-30 10:39 PM Nob
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."