Other Resources The Political Joe » Bowe Bergdahl Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-02 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: Bowe Bergdahl

Can I get an objective reason as to why we gave up 5 captured Taliban leaders for this guy?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/

2014-06-02 12:11 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Bowe Bergdahl
Originally posted by msteiner

Can I get an objective reason as to why we gave up 5 captured Taliban leaders for this guy?

because we never leave a man behind? Maybe because they are no longer leaders. Long replaced and into there 40s now.
2014-06-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

because we never leave a man behind? Maybe because they are no longer leaders. Long replaced and into there 40s now.

What if that man left you behind? I've never been in the Army, but I am thinking that the whole never leaving men behind rule works both ways. And being in my 40s, I'm not sure how to take that last comment.

As to this prisoner swap, I don't see how this makes Americans safer overall. Perhaps if the Taliban knows that a kidnapped American is worth five terrorist then I guess they will stop kidnapping us?

2014-06-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

Veteran
Minnesota
Originally posted by Jackemy1

What if that man left you behind? I've never been in the Army, but I am thinking that the whole never leaving men behind rule works both ways. And being in my 40s, I'm not sure how to take that last comment.

As to this prisoner swap, I don't see how this makes Americans safer overall. Perhaps if the Taliban knows that a kidnapped American is worth five terrorist then I guess they will stop kidnapping us?

IDK, perhaps the gathering of further intelligence. Bin Laden was found through a subordinate. Release a few former leaders and see where the trail leads.
2014-06-02 1:39 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

What if that man left you behind? I've never been in the Army, but I am thinking that the whole never leaving men behind rule works both ways. And being in my 40s, I'm not sure how to take that last comment. As to this prisoner swap, I don't see how this makes Americans safer overall. Perhaps if the Taliban knows that a kidnapped American is worth five terrorist then I guess they will stop kidnapping us?

This is my issue with it.  Does this not add incentive to kidnapping more Americans to get what they want?

2014-06-02 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I think... wait, you said objective....

Edited by jford2309 2014-06-02 1:57 PM

2014-06-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Originally posted by TriJedi

IDK, perhaps the gathering of further intelligence. Bin Laden was found through a subordinate. Release a few former leaders and see where the trail leads.

dangerous precedent set here. playing the hansel and gretle strategy of hoping the guy 5 guys lay bread crumbs has a pretty high risk:reward factor so no doubt there were other factors at play here. unlikely the public will hear the full story....nor should we.
2014-06-02 2:32 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

There are alot of reports stating that he walked away, that he was not left behind...

2014-06-02 3:02 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Originally posted by jford2309

There are alot of reports stating that he walked away, that he was not left behind...

Yep, deserter. And his father is speaking Arabic at the news conference. 5 guys died trying to find this POS. Then Daddy was on Twitter today urging the Government to continue to release Gitmo prisoners. Big mistake even trying to get this guy back IMO.
2014-06-02 5:18 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

This guy is from my town here in Hailey.  Let's just say the Obama admin has done next to nothing for 5 years.  This is a PR move and a huge mistake.  I'm glad to see Bowe come home, but at what cost?  I see his dad probably 3-4 times a week, but don't know him beyond he's a UPS driver here in town.  

2014-06-02 5:40 PM
in reply to: bradword

User image

Pro

Since I wasn't a part of his unit, and wasn't there, I'll take the word of the men who were......they don't have any use for this guy. 

He deserted during combat and men were killed trying to find him. 

Leave him behind.

2014-06-02 5:58 PM
in reply to: bradword

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Originally posted by bradword

This guy is from my town here in Hailey.  Let's just say the Obama admin has done next to nothing for 5 years.  This is a PR move and a huge mistake.  I'm glad to see Bowe come home, but at what cost?  I see his dad probably 3-4 times a week, but don't know him beyond he's a UPS driver here in town.  

Wow. Keep us updated, please. I really want to understand that guy's motivation.
2014-06-02 10:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain

Since I wasn't a part of his unit, and wasn't there, I'll take the word of the men who were......they don't have any use for this guy. 

Leave him behind.

Interesting. Then perhaps he is a danger being over there. Or perhaps he will have information that will be 'extracted' from him upon his return.
2014-06-03 1:03 AM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by mcgilmartin
Originally posted by bradword

Wow. Keep us updated, please. I really want to understand that guy's motivation.

Some background.

2014-06-03 8:47 AM
in reply to: antlimon166

Veteran
Minnesota
Originally posted by antlimon166

Originally posted by TriJedi

dangerous precedent set here. playing the hansel and gretle strategy of hoping the guy 5 guys lay bread crumbs has a pretty high risk:reward factor so no doubt there were other factors at play here. unlikely the public will hear the full story....nor should we.

Obviously without any direct knowledge, it is all speculation.
2014-06-03 10:09 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Left Brain

Leave him behind.

That pretty much says it for me. Being from Idaho I am well aware of the campaign to get him back, but I personally have always been skeptical. Now that his combat peers are coming out of the woodwork and confirming that he deserted I see no reason we should have tried to get him back at all. 

2014-06-03 10:19 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I agree with the swap. And so does the Chairman. We are planning on exiting Afghanistan, normal time for POW swap.

"Like any American, he is innocent until proven guilty," Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey said in a statement Tuesday morning.
2014-06-03 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
IMO the prisoner swap was more of a political move than anything else, the current administration needs to do anything to try and look good.

Now that he is home there needs to be an investigation on why he left his post and what actually happened. If the claims of his fellow soldiers are true then he should be prosecuted as a deserter during wartime and not looked at as a hero.
2014-06-03 11:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Generally speaking I'm for doing whatever we can do to bring back any American, but this guy is a rat and according to this article he is facing desertion charges.

Then you throw in the administration trying to spin him as a war hero serving with "distinction and honor" it just boils my blood.  This guy is a coward and a traitor to his fellow soldiers and country.

Now the real question is what the heck was the Obama administration trying to accomplish with this?  Sending 5 of the most dangerous dudes from Getmo in exchange for a deserter?  Really?

I almost need to dust off my conspiracy hat because there's just too much weird stuff with this deal.  The president even violated Federal law (that he just signed 30 days earlier) by releasing the prisoners without notifying congress.  The answer was that "time was of the essence" from the administration, but I don't buy it.  It seems to be more like, I really want to get these guys out of Getmo and here's my chance.  Congress will never approve of it, so I'm just going to do it anyways.

Then to top it all off is this dudes Dad sounds like he's working for Al Qaeda,  WTF with a capital F.

https://twitter.com/slone/status/473451566934917120/photo/1

Edited by tuwood 2014-06-03 11:19 AM
2014-06-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by tuwood

Generally speaking I'm for doing whatever we can do to bring back any American, but this guy is a rat and according to this article he is facing desertion charges.

Then you throw in the administration trying to spin him as a war hero serving with "distinction and honor" it just boils my blood.  This guy is a coward and a traitor to his fellow soldiers and country.

Now the real question is what the heck was the Obama administration trying to accomplish with this?  Sending 5 of the most dangerous dudes from Getmo in exchange for a deserter?  Really?

I almost need to dust off my conspiracy hat because there's just too much weird stuff with this deal.  The president even violated Federal law (that he just signed 30 days earlier) by releasing the prisoners without notifying congress.  The answer was that "time was of the essence" from the administration, but I don't buy it.  It seems to be more like, I really want to get these guys out of Getmo and here's my chance.  Congress will never approve of it, so I'm just going to do it anyways.

Then to top it all off is this dudes Dad sounds like he's working for Al Qaeda,  WTF with a capital F.

How come when a Muslim says it, it sounds like he's `working for Al Qaeda,' but when a Christian says it, he's 'fighting for the unborn?'
2014-06-03 1:27 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mr2tony

How come when a Muslim says it, it sounds like he's `working for Al Qaeda,' but when a Christian says it, he's 'fighting for the unborn?'

Wow, nice cherry pick.  lol

The Taliban is an enemy of the United States and wants us all to die.  His Dad, who is a private citizen, was communicating directly with the Taliban via twitter and empathizing with them that God will repay for the death of every Afghan child and informing them that he is actively working to free all their Taliban buddies from Getmo.  This tweet pre-dated the release by a few days, so he was ultimately successful in his quest.

I think if you or I were to send tweets to the Taliban making statements like this, it would not be received very kindly by our buddies at the Government.

To just focus on the God repaying part is kind of silly.  The last I checked there aren't too many Pro Life Christians who are empathizing with and trying to help enemies of the United States.

2014-06-03 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

The Taliban is an enemy of the United States and wants us all to die.  His Dad, who is a private citizen, was communicating directly with the Taliban via twitter and empathizing with them that God will repay for the death of every Afghan child and informing them that he is actively working to free all their Taliban buddies from Getmo.  This tweet pre-dated the release by a few days, so he was ultimately successful in his quest.

I think if you or I were to send tweets to the Taliban making statements like this, it would not be received very kindly by our buddies at the Government.

To just focus on the God repaying part is kind of silly.  The last I checked there aren't too many Pro Life Christians who are empathizing with and trying to help enemies of the United States.

Oh c'mon Tony you know I was just trying to get a rise out of you. I agree with you that this is very hinky. That said, he often tweets about releasing prisoners of war. It's the `God will repay' bit that makes me wonder about his motives. Very strange, this family.
2014-06-03 2:02 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Oh c'mon Tony you know I was just trying to get a rise out of you. I agree with you that this is very hinky. That said, he often tweets about releasing prisoners of war. It's the `God will repay' bit that makes me wonder about his motives. Very strange, this family.

lol, hopefully I didn't bite too hard.  

There certainly are some really odd things about this whole story.  The conspiracy nuts are going to be going crazy, that's for sure.  

2014-06-03 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

lol, hopefully I didn't bite too hard.  

There certainly are some really odd things about this whole story.  The conspiracy nuts are going to be going crazy, that's for sure.  

Psh it's not just the conspiracy nuts. It's a very intriguing story.

That said, I really hope they at least try him for treason, or at least desertion!
2014-06-03 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I just read (on Fox News.com) that this POS actually renounced his citizenship via a letter the day he walked away from his platoon. Even I don't think the Obama Admin could be this f*****g naive. There's got to be more to this story than we're hearing about. Qatar brokered the deal, what did we get from them?
*oh wait, I'm starting a conspiracy theory*

WTF was the Obama administration thinking? I'm following this story as closely as I am the VA scandal.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Bowe Bergdahl Rss Feed  

of 2