Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Bowe Bergdahl

Originally posted by mcgilmartin I just read (on Fox News.com) that this POS actually renounced his citizenship via a letter the day he walked away from his platoon. Even I don't think the Obama Admin could be this f*****g naive. There's got to be more to this story than we're hearing about. Qatar brokered the deal, what did we get from them? *oh wait, I'm starting a conspiracy theory* WTF was the Obama administration thinking? I'm following this story as closely as I am the VA scandal.

Saw this interview last night on foxnews.  (Megyn is so pretty)  anyways...
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/06/04/pow-swap-benghazi-2-0-clueless-obama-thinks-desertion-is-kind-of-like-skipping-class-says-outraged-lt-col-123058

Lt Col Ralph Peters didn't hold any punches and put into perspective what desertion really is.

It amazes me that the administration thought this swap was going to be a "win" for them politically.

2014-06-04 11:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mcgilmartin I just read (on Fox News.com) that this POS actually renounced his citizenship via a letter the day he walked away from his platoon. Even I don't think the Obama Admin could be this f*****g naive. There's got to be more to this story than we're hearing about. Qatar brokered the deal, what did we get from them? *oh wait, I'm starting a conspiracy theory* WTF was the Obama administration thinking? I'm following this story as closely as I am the VA scandal.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/06/04/pow-swap-benghazi-2-0-clueless-obama-thinks-desertion-is-kind-of-like-skipping-class-says-outraged-lt-col-123058

Lt Col Ralph Peters didn't hold any punches and put into perspective what desertion really is.

It amazes me that the administration thought this swap was going to be a "win" for them politically.

Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff,  has an interesting side.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/critics-questioning-credo-of-leaving-no-one-behind.html

“The questions about this particular soldier’s conduct are separate from our effort to recover ANY U.S. service member in enemy captivity,” General Dempsey wrote on his Facebook page. “When he is able to provide them, we’ll learn the facts,” the general said of Sergeant Bergdahl. “Like any American, he is innocent until proven guilty.”

Changed because I misread your final sentence originally.

Edited by crowny2 2014-06-04 11:25 AM
2014-06-05 2:58 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Bergdahl's hometown cancels 'Welcome Home' ceremony amid questions
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/04/bergdahl-hometown-cancels-welc...
2014-06-05 3:10 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by DanielG Bergdahl's hometown cancels 'Welcome Home' ceremony amid questions http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/04/bergdahl-hometown-cancels-welc...

"sensitive boy who was home-schooled by his parents, attended Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, took ballet lessons in nearby Ketchum and worked as a barista at Zaney's coffee shop on River Street before enlisting in the Army in 2008"

Well that explains a lot.  Heck, I may have defected too...  

2014-06-06 8:58 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

OK, this made me lol for real:

2014-06-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Originally posted by crowny2

Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff,  has an interesting side.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/critics-questioning-credo-of-leaving-no-one-behind.html

“The questions about this particular soldier’s conduct are separate from our effort to recover ANY U.S. service member in enemy captivity,” General Dempsey wrote on his Facebook page. “When he is able to provide them, we’ll learn the facts,” the general said of Sergeant Bergdahl. “Like any American, he is innocent until proven guilty.”

the fact that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs comments on the subject on this facebook page is laughable.

2014-06-16 2:36 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by antlimon166

the fact that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs comments on the subject on this facebook page is laughable.

How so?

2014-06-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

How so?

highest ranking military officer in the country using facebook as a tool to communicate on a controversial topic is innappropriate in my opinion. i would pefer the primary advisor to the POTUS not interact with the public at all, let the President and their staff, or the Secretary of Defense and their staff make comment.
2014-06-17 12:40 PM

User image

Pro

How so?

highest ranking military officer in the country using facebook as a tool to communicate on a controversial topic is innappropriate in my opinion. i would pefer the primary advisor to the POTUS not interact with the public at all, let the President and their staff, or the Secretary of Defense and their staff make comment.

I think you are one the right track....but I'd go a step further and say that he WAS "speaking" for the President.....or, actually, doing the President's bidding.  Obama and his handlers have to figure that a military leader giving a thumbs up for the mission carried a lot more weight than Obama was carrying withy his lame talking points.

Tony, you can have your hat back now. 

2014-06-17 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

Not only is it laughable it is a huge no no! My brother (a Brig. Gen. with a sensitive duty posting) rarely ever posts anything to his FB. When I asked him why he told me it was to avoid even the possible appearance of impropriety by posting anything duty related. As a high ranking officer you are supposed to be above reproach.
2014-06-17 1:40 PM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Originally posted by trinnas

Not only is it laughable it is a huge no no! My brother (a Brig. Gen. with a sensitive duty posting) rarely ever posts anything to his FB. When I asked him why he told me it was to avoid even the possible appearance of impropriety by posting anything duty related. As a high ranking officer you are supposed to be above reproach.

I think it depends if it is an official page or a personal page - the Chief of Naval Operations (ADM Greenert) is very explicit about use of social media and his expectations, but at the same time, he often addresses hot topics (for lack of a better phrase) on the page, stuff that he thinks Naval Personnel should be concerned about; ADM Mullen (former CNO and CJCJS did the same thing)

2014-06-21 1:56 PM

While I understand your thinking on that...Osama Bin Laden was well out of his 40's...into old age and still running things. What motivates them is their religion...which is why it's hard to imagine an end in sight to this conflict.

(not sure why this quoted like that, but my reply is to chirunner's initial comment)

Edited by SGirl 2014-06-21 1:58 PM
2014-06-21 4:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by TriJedi
Originally posted by Jackemy1
Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by msteiner

Can I get an objective reason as to why we gave up 5 captured Taliban leaders for this guy?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/

because we never leave a man behind? Maybe because they are no longer leaders. Long replaced and into there 40s now.
What if that man left you behind? I've never been in the Army, but I am thinking that the whole never leaving men behind rule works both ways. And being in my 40s, I'm not sure how to take that last comment. As to this prisoner swap, I don't see how this makes Americans safer overall. Perhaps if the Taliban knows that a kidnapped American is worth five terrorist then I guess they will stop kidnapping us?
IDK, perhaps the gathering of further intelligence. Bin Laden was found through a subordinate. Release a few former leaders and see where the trail leads.
dangerous precedent set here. playing the hansel and gretle strategy of hoping the guy 5 guys lay bread crumbs has a pretty high risk:reward factor so no doubt there were other factors at play here. unlikely the public will hear the full story....nor should we.

Similar to the Fast and Furious plan and it worked out ,,,,, oh wait,,,, never mind. 

2014-06-21 8:33 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SGirl Osama Bin Laden was well out of his 40's...into old age and still running things.

Hey....wait a minute....OBL was 54...."well into old age"??  I'm 54......  where's my cane? 

"well into old age" my arse!!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-06-21 8:34 PM
2014-06-22 1:48 PM

haha you know what I mean...well out of his 40's! :P (I also thought he was much older than in his 50's...my bad) lol
The point being...when you believe that your life (and afterlife) rests on how fervently you fight 'for' your religion, age, illness, etc will not stop you.

The war is never going to be won, if we think we are fighting for secular reasons.

Edited by SGirl 2014-06-22 1:50 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Bowe Bergdahl Rss Feed  

of 2