Yeti Beti
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got all my junk together, got the kids dressed, headed out. Got out the door a little bit late.
Event warmup:

Rode up the road to the start area. Probably should have ridden a couple of miles, but didn't have time since I got there late. Fail #1.
Bike
  • 43m 32s
  • 8 miles
  • 11.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Got there a bit late and was talking to friends when I realized I had to get to the start line. Rode over to find my whole group was lined up and the only place I could squeeze in was the third row. I was aiming to place in the top three in the beginner class, so this was FAIL #2. I KNEW that I was going to have to pass everyone who lined up in front of me. Gun went off and I started sprinting, trying to get around people before the singletrack. It was a horrible start. Nate took pictures as we came through and I was totally in the back. Passed a few, but still had to pass about 10 people in the first mile.

Hit the first hill and passed a bunch there, felt strong. Was riding fast on the flat part between the two hills when one of a junior riders crashed up in front of me. One of her friends stopped with her, but everyone was riding around her, asking if she was okay, and when I rode up she was crying and said "No, I don't think I'm ok" and her bike was still in the middle of the trail (people were just riding around it). She looked like she was 12 and I felt awful, so I stopped, pulled her bike off the trail, and sat down to see if she had hurt herself badly. She had banged up her leg, but mostly seemed all right to me - just upset. We called her Dad on the phone, no answer, so I got her to stand up and see how her leg felt. She was fine to put weight on it, so I talked her into getting back on the bike and told her I'd ride in slowly with her. At that point one of the Yeti Betis came up (they run the race) and told me she'd take over if I wanted to finish, so after about a 1/2 mile riding with her and encouraging her to finish her race, I took off.

Now I was riding as fast as I could, just trying to catch my group since every single one of them had ridden by while I was sitting there. Rode hill #2 strong and the next downhill/flat. Felt a little bit deflated riding through the start area after lap #1 - I knew everyone cheering for me was wondering why I was coming through 5 minutes later than expected. Got back on the singletrack and immediately got stuck behind some girls who were barely moving for about 1/2 mile until I could pass. From then on, I was passing a ton of people in my group. Got to hill #1 and rode all the way up off the trail, passing people. On the next downhill/flat, some of the girls I passed managed to pass me - FAIL #3. When I got to hill #2, they were all climbing super slow again and I got stuck behind them and lost a TON of time. The rest of the downhill/flat I just pedaled as fast as I could. Caught some people on the final downhill, and sprinted up the final hill. Thought I was going to puke at the finish line, so I know I gave it my all on the second lap. Obviously just wasn't enough to make up the 5 minutes I lost when I stopped.
What would you do differently?:

#1 - warm-up better, #2 - get in the front line at the start and make sure I'm in the lead pack on the singletrack (this doesn't matter as much when I move up to sport and expect to finish MOP), #3 - don't let slow climbers pass me on the flats, need to push it on the flat parts and maintain position so I can pull ahead on the hills rather than be stuck. Obviously I couldn't change the fact that I stopped to help someone, and I'm glad I did because she got on her bike and eventually finished the race, but I could have cut a couple minutes off my time if I didn't put myself in a position where I had to pass so many people at the start and on the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Chatted with everyone, had some water, hung out in the race team tent. Had a beer and a burrito. Watched my kids do their little race. Cheered on all the other groups.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad position at the start and on the hills, stopping (obviously). Looking forward to doing a few more races this summer so I can get out there and really see what I can do!

Event comments:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this race. It has such a great vibe. Last year I did my race and had to leave, and was really bummed, so this year we planned to hang out all morning with the kids. I was glad I got to stay and cheer everyone else on and watch the pros (geez they're fast).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-06-02 12:00 AM
Biking
00:43:32 | 08 miles | 11.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 laps of a 4 mile loop - fast course with 3 punchy hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy