General Discussion Race Reports! » Navy Tridents Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Navy Tridents Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shearwater, Nova Scotia
Canada
Navy Tridents Triathlon Club
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 12s
Overall Rank = 10/180
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/24
Pre-race routine:

I drove 3 hours while drinking copious amounts of water and stopping every hour or so to relieve myself. I could have cut back on the water, lol. I had about an hour before my heat started so I set up transition, made sure everything was good to go and chatted with a few people.
Event warmup:

I did a little light stretching and then we were told that we would have a quick swim warm up as the heat before us finished early. Out start time was 2:50pm and we were the last heat of the day, We got in the water at about 2:45 and I did one lap of the pool. No sooner than i touched the wall then I was hearing on you marks go. Either that was one slow lap, the shortest warmup time ever or we started early. I wasn;t the most mentally ready when the gun went off.
Swim
  • 13m 9s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

For those that remember this race from last year I joked about staring straight into the face of the girl I was sharing the lane with for 15 laps. Well it happened again only this time it was a guy in his 50's and he didn't swim as fast as she did. So it kind of threw me off a bit as I seemed to just fall into a rhythm. While it wasnt a great swim it wasn't bad either. It felt pretty relaxed and was only about 25 seconds slower than last year.

Correction - I just looked at my race from last year and I was 1 second faster this year.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Transition wasn't too bad, other than the fact that getting clipped into the pedals took a few tries and most likely cost me a few seconds.

Flying mount.
Bike
  • 33m 8s
  • 20.35 kms
  • 36.85 km/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike. I went out pretty hard, caught a few people and kept up a good pace. I could feel a few times that my legs couldn't put out the power that I wanted. I guessing this is due to having put in about 8 hours of training in the 3 days before the race. Overall I'm pretty happy with the bike.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Transition went pretty smooth. About as quick as I could have been.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 5.36 kms
  • 04m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Not too bad of a run but I could feel my legs were pretty heavy. I had two guys pass me about 2k into the run, and they were moving pretty quick so I didn't even try to keep up with them. At the half way point I could see that I had a pretty good lead (1.5min or so) on the guy behind me so I didn't push the rest of the run crazy hard and settled into a strong pace that I could manage.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had a water bottle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs were pretty tired from quite a bit of hard training lately. I could definitely feel it at different points

Event comments:

This is great race and I'm sure I will be back to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2014-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:09 | 750 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 31/180
Performance: Average
Suit: LG Pro
Course: SCM Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:08 | 20.35 kms | 36.85 km/hr
Overall: 7/180
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Up a hill to a runway on the air force base and then 3 laps of the run way and then back down.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:39 | 05.36 kms | 04m 36s  min/km
Overall: 36/180
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a crushed gravel trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-03 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: Navy Tridents Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-06-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Navy Tridents Triathlon - Sprint Course

Good job, Derek!  I didn't realize how fast you were!     10th out of 180 OA and 4th out of 24 in your AG?!   Woot Woot - you rocked it!    Glad you looked at last year's results and came in 1 second faster in the swim.   It's always fun to do the same event the next year and beat your time.   Congratulations on a good solid performance!

Edited by bswcpa 2014-06-03 3:30 PM
2014-06-03 8:39 PM
in reply to: #5006142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Holy COW!  I think we will have to start calling you "Sir-Fast-alot"   great race, and I am envious of that swim time,

2014-06-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Derek great job! You had a great race overall your swim, bike and run times were all pretty fast especially consider you sound like you were not totally rested from the training that you already put in for the week. It sounds like your in great shape and setting yourself up to do very well at the upcoming HIM. Congrats again on great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Navy Tridents Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Navy Trident's Triathlon

Started by axteraa
Views: 1414 Posts: 2

2010-06-06 1:34 PM gsmacleod

Navy Tridents Triathlon & Duathlon

Started by mtmacarthur
Views: 880 Posts: 1

2007-06-10 10:44 AM mtmacarthur

Navy Tridents Triathlon & Duathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1518 Posts: 1

2007-06-03 3:16 PM gsmacleod

Navy Trident Triathlon and Duathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1649 Posts: 2

2006-06-27 4:34 PM c2fd

Navy Trident Triathlon

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1856 Posts: 9

2005-05-31 12:45 PM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.