Other Resources The Political Joe » Seattle raises minimum wage to $15/hr Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-03 9:59 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: Seattle raises minimum wage to $15/hr

2014-06-03 12:33 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Seattle raises minimum wage to $15/hr
My first thought. People will be paying more money in Seattle for goods and services and it will have the biggest negative impact in the areas that support low income residents. A company that has skilled labor already pays $15/hour or more. Convenience stores do not. Those are just examples btw, not an indictment of any one.

Inflation is the inevitable outcome of an increase in the price of something without a corresponding increase in value. This is just another redistribution of wealth law.

I will wait for all the attacks which I know will inevitably come my way.
2014-06-03 2:55 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Stuartap

My first thought. People will be paying more money in Seattle for goods and services and it will have the biggest negative impact in the areas that support low income residents. A company that has skilled labor already pays $15/hour or more. Convenience stores do not. Those are just examples btw, not an indictment of any one.

Inflation is the inevitable outcome of an increase in the price of something without a corresponding increase in value. This is just another redistribution of wealth law.

I will wait for all the attacks which I know will inevitably come my way.

I'm glad NYC wasn't the first place that did it, but I'm also glad somebody tried it. There's been a ton of speculation about what will happen if the minimum wage gets raised to $15 on both sides of the debate.

Now we get to see who's right. I'm sure that whoever is proven wrong will have a million excuses, but it'll be interesting to see.
2014-06-03 3:36 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
San Jose has a $10.15 minimum wage now, higher than the state min. My brother owns five 7-Eleven stores in the area, three in San Jose.

Like ALL businesses who hire minimum wage employees he has raised his prices to pay for the extra cost for zero benefit to the employer. Since the law was passed in 2012 he has seen no drop in turnover so the added wage has not spurred any more employee loyalty.

Also he will be the first to tell you that all three San Jose store serve a lower income community. So the people who can least afford the higher prices are paying for the higher wages. While that may seem fine for those who also got a raise with the new law, it doesn't help those on a fixed income or students or or or.

What are all the seniors in Seattle supposed to do when the stores they frequent on a regular basis raise their prices? Will their Social Security checks go up to pay for the added cost?

2014-06-04 5:04 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular
Madrid
I think they have 7 years tp phase it in though. Who knows $15/hour could be cheap in 7 years.
2014-06-04 12:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I found this too:

http://shiftwa.org/sea-tac-workers-not-happy-with-15-min-wage/

Apparently Sea Tac, WA implemented a $15/hr minimum not too long ago. Sea Tac is the small area around the Sea Tac airport between Seattle and Tacoma if y'all didn't know.

Here's another one:

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/144019-results-seattles-minimum-wag...

BTW: I freely admit that both of these articles are rather one-sided... If anyone knows of a positive that's come out of this, I'd really like to see it. And that's complete honesty, not sarcasm.

Now that a major metro area had decided that this is a good idea, I'm curious about a few things. For the sake of discussion, I'm going to limit it to 3:

1) Gov't contracts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some gov't contracts paid at Minimum Wage + $X? That could really play havoc with an already fragile budgeting system. Don't get me started on Teachers...

2) Scalable skilled labor. I'm an Auto Technician by trade. I think the same thing can be said for EMS services (not sure about $$$ rates up there anymore). People starting in my industry a lot of times begin in a Lube Shop environment. They're above minimum, but below $15. As you gain experience you move up and get paid more. That's how it's supposed to work (I won't mention the THOU$AND$ spend on tools, lol!!!). So if the bottom rung of the ladder gets boosted, say $5/hr, to $15/hr, then what happens to the 'C' tech at $13, the 'B' tech at 18 and the 'A' tech at $21?

3) In both articles, it's mentioned that they've lost their health insurance.... Is that even legal?

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-06-04 12:58 PM

2014-06-05 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I always think of the minimum wage discussion as just another government forced redistribution mechanism.  The unstated "intent" is always to make the "greedy" business owners pay their employees a fair wage, but what results is the "greedy" business owners simply pass the costs onto their customers or reduce staff to cover the additional overhead.

Whomever the customers of said business/industry are is who the income is redistributed from, and as was mentioned more times than not the skilled labor type jobs already pay more than $15/hr. so it's the unskilled grocery/convenience store type employees that are effected and those establishments serve the poor just as much (or more) than they do the rich.

What are the benefits?  Obviously the person getting the pay raise gets a (usually big) raise which gives them a quick boost to the top line, but often times a poor person spends a significant portion of their income on groceries and gas, which will both likely go up due to increased labor costs.  So, the argument is always that it ultimately puts them in the same place they were before the raise.  I personally think it's not a 1:1 ratio, so they probably do ultimately benefit to some extent on the bottom line, but it's still simply at the expense of somebody else's bottom line.

At least with "tax" redistribution they can target specific income groups to take money from, whereas with minimum wage mandates it's much less predicable and a significant portion of the redistribution is from poor to poor.

2014-06-05 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
When the restaurants in Seattle have to pay their wait staff and kitchen staff $15/hour they will be forced to raise prices. The price increases probably won't affect the higher end restaurants, but I predict that the amount of people eating out at lower end / family restaurants will drop considerably.
2014-06-05 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by WebFootFreak http://www.nwcn.com/news/business/261531211.htmlThoughts?

.... and in related news...  all Seattle McDonalds owners recently announced that they are doing away with dollar menu and will be replacing it with a new and improved 10 dollar menu. 

2014-10-02 11:40 AM

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by Stuartap My first thought. People will be paying more money in Seattle for goods and services and it will have the biggest negative impact in the areas that support low income residents. A company that has skilled labor already pays $15/hour or more. Convenience stores do not. Those are just examples btw, not an indictment of any one. Inflation is the inevitable outcome of an increase in the price of something without a corresponding increase in value. This is just another redistribution of wealth law. I will wait for all the attacks which I know will inevitably come my way.
I'm glad NYC wasn't the first place that did it, but I'm also glad somebody tried it. There's been a ton of speculation about what will happen if the minimum wage gets raised to $15 on both sides of the debate. Now we get to see who's right. I'm sure that whoever is proven wrong will have a million excuses, but it'll be interesting to see.

Who's right about what?

Honestly, I'd like to hear what you think the result of raising the minimum wage to $15.00 will be? What was the minimum wage prior to this?

First post of the month in PCOJ?

2014-10-03 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by crusevegas

Originally posted by Stuartap My first thought. People will be paying more money in Seattle for goods and services and it will have the biggest negative impact in the areas that support low income residents. A company that has skilled labor already pays $15/hour or more. Convenience stores do not. Those are just examples btw, not an indictment of any one. Inflation is the inevitable outcome of an increase in the price of something without a corresponding increase in value. This is just another redistribution of wealth law. I will wait for all the attacks which I know will inevitably come my way.
I'm glad NYC wasn't the first place that did it, but I'm also glad somebody tried it. There's been a ton of speculation about what will happen if the minimum wage gets raised to $15 on both sides of the debate. Now we get to see who's right. I'm sure that whoever is proven wrong will have a million excuses, but it'll be interesting to see.

Who's right about what?

Honestly, I'd like to hear what you think the result of raising the minimum wage to $15.00 will be? What was the minimum wage prior to this?

No idea about the previous minimum wage. I'm sure you can Google it.

I think the effect will be that there will be massive riots, starvation, the seas will rise up and fire will rain from the heavens, resulting in the end of all life as we know it on Earth. Oh, and everyone will get Ebola.

No, actually, I doubt there will be much of an effect at all. As I said in another post, it's not that many people and not that much money.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-10-03 11:59 AM

2014-10-03 12:52 PM

User image

Pro

Who's right about what?

No idea about the previous minimum wage. I'm sure you can Google it. I think the effect will be that there will be massive riots, starvation, the seas will rise up and fire will rain from the heavens, resulting in the end of all life as we know it on Earth. Oh, and everyone will get Ebola. No, actually, I doubt there will be much of an effect at all. As I said in another post, it's not that many people and not that much money.

I was good right up until you said we would all get Ebola....now I can't unlock myself from this fetal position of fear and despair.

2014-10-08 3:25 PM
in reply to: #5006258

naperville, Illinois
there is a lot more to it than the minimum wage being raised - as my dad said, if they raise minimum wage to $15, then I am going to demand a raise because it means the guy who just got hired is going to making as mich as I am after 7 years. so yes, it actually is a lot of people Nd a lot of money. there is a reason you could buy a loaf of bread for 99 cents 15 years ago and now even the cheap bread is $2, and it isnt because the ingredients changed -- that bread is $5 a loaf
2014-10-08 5:15 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Raansnel

there is a lot more to it than the minimum wage being raised - as my dad said, if they raise minimum wage to $15, then I am going to demand a raise because it means the guy who just got hired is going to making as mich as I am after 7 years. so yes, it actually is a lot of people Nd a lot of money. there is a reason you could buy a loaf of bread for 99 cents 15 years ago and now even the cheap bread is $2, and it isnt because the ingredients changed -- that bread is $5 a loaf

Is that .99 for the cheap bread that is now $2.00?
2014-10-09 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Raansnel

You can certainly demand a raise, but if your value to the company, in terms of your experience, skills, productivity, and work history, hasn't changed, I wouldn't be so sure that you'll get one. There is only one reason (excepting COLAs) that a person has a right to expect a raise: Are they bringing more value to the company than they were a year ago? The fact that the new guy in the mailroom who used to make $8 now makes the same as you after 7 years on the job might sting your ego, but that by itself is not a reason that your boss should pony up more money if you're still doing the same job and delivering the same results that you were last year.

If a person came to me and said, "XYZ used to make 20% less than me, and he just got a raise, so I demand that you give me a raise so I still make 20% more than him" I'd tell him that he'd better be back at his desk by the time I finish laughing.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-10-09 1:47 PM
2014-10-09 9:53 PM

Master
, California

I wonder if/when the U.S. is going to stop the ridiculous separate system for tip-earners.

It was SO NICE being in New Zealand earlier this year.  Go out to a restaurant.  Order something.  Pay what the listed price is.  The end.

2014-10-10 12:14 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by spudone

I wonder if/when the U.S. is going to stop the ridiculous separate system for tip-earners.

It was SO NICE being in New Zealand earlier this year.  Go out to a restaurant.  Order something.  Pay what the listed price is.  The end.

Word.  China is also awesome that way. 

I have a couple of people on my facebook feed that would occasionally go on a rant about people that don't tip, or "under" tip, or post things about people "deserving" tips.

I would always just post back something to the effect of:  "Don't blame others for a broken business model."  

2014-10-10 7:43 AM

User image

Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by spudone

Word.  China is also awesome that way. 

I have a couple of people on my facebook feed that would occasionally go on a rant about people that don't tip, or "under" tip, or post things about people "deserving" tips.

I would always just post back something to the effect of:  "Don't blame others for a broken business model."  

unfortunately, until restaurant/diner owers are stopped from paying elss than minimum wage - which is allowable, because the belief is that tips earned will cover up to that different - then that isn't going to happen

I made good money working as a waitress in Australia ($10-$12 an hour) - so I never had to worry about tips - when you got them, it genuinely meant you did a good job - whereas here, there are waitresses that get paid a measy $2.59 an hour, and hope that their tips get them up to the $7.15 (?) an hour that the min- wage is

we've also created an expectation of being tipped for doing your job...its called gratiuity for a reason...I liken it to the fact on my last Navy ship, the CO was authorized to give a certain level of awards - we had a SK (storekeeper) get one for keeping the soda machine stocked...I mean, seriously...that is your JOB and you are getting an achievement award for it

Edited by austhokie 2014-10-10 7:45 AM
2014-10-13 10:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by Raansnel there is a lot more to it than the minimum wage being raised - as my dad said, if they raise minimum wage to $15, then I am going to demand a raise because it means the guy who just got hired is going to making as mich as I am after 7 years. so yes, it actually is a lot of people Nd a lot of money. there is a reason you could buy a loaf of bread for 99 cents 15 years ago and now even the cheap bread is $2, and it isnt because the ingredients changed -- that bread is $5 a loaf

You can certainly demand a raise, but if your value to the company, in terms of your experience, skills, productivity, and work history, hasn't changed, I wouldn't be so sure that you'll get one. There is only one reason (excepting COLAs) that a person has a right to expect a raise: Are they bringing more value to the company than they were a year ago? The fact that the new guy in the mailroom who used to make $8 now makes the same as you after 7 years on the job might sting your ego, but that by itself is not a reason that your boss should pony up more money if you're still doing the same job and delivering the same results that you were last year. If a person came to me and said, "XYZ used to make 20% less than me, and he just got a raise, so I demand that you give me a raise so I still make 20% more than him" I'd tell him that he'd better be back at his desk by the time I finish laughing.

Wow, this shows such a lack of understanding of human nature.  I just don't know where to begin JMK?!?!?!?!?!?

2014-10-17 2:51 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

We have it both ways. It's so weird. We pay at least minimum wage, but still tip.

2014-10-17 3:03 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jeng

We have it both ways. It's so weird. We pay at least minimum wage, but still tip.

How much do you normally tip?  Is it the same everywhere in Canada?  When we were in Edmonton for worlds we tipped our usual 20% and the waitresses (we didn't encounter and waiters) seemed overly appreciative....or maybe they were just friendlier than people here.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-17 3:03 PM

2014-10-20 12:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jeng

How much do you normally tip?  Is it the same everywhere in Canada?  When we were in Edmonton for worlds we tipped our usual 20% and the waitresses (we didn't encounter and waiters) seemed overly appreciative....or maybe they were just friendlier than people here.

I'm curious about that as well. The service charge is usually included in Eurpose as well, but it's usual to leave a small amount of change (maybe 5%?) in addition to what's included.
2014-10-20 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Tips are definitely expected. I'm not sure how tipping started, but it's been that way for my entire lifetime. 15% is usual. It's similar there right? I'm not entirely sure, but pretty sure that servers all across Canada get paid at least minimum wage.

2014-10-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by Raansnel there is a lot more to it than the minimum wage being raised - as my dad said, if they raise minimum wage to $15, then I am going to demand a raise because it means the guy who just got hired is going to making as mich as I am after 7 years. so yes, it actually is a lot of people Nd a lot of money. there is a reason you could buy a loaf of bread for 99 cents 15 years ago and now even the cheap bread is $2, and it isnt because the ingredients changed -- that bread is $5 a loaf

You can certainly demand a raise, but if your value to the company, in terms of your experience, skills, productivity, and work history, hasn't changed, I wouldn't be so sure that you'll get one. There is only one reason (excepting COLAs) that a person has a right to expect a raise: Are they bringing more value to the company than they were a year ago? The fact that the new guy in the mailroom who used to make $8 now makes the same as you after 7 years on the job might sting your ego, but that by itself is not a reason that your boss should pony up more money if you're still doing the same job and delivering the same results that you were last year. If a person came to me and said, "XYZ used to make 20% less than me, and he just got a raise, so I demand that you give me a raise so I still make 20% more than him" I'd tell him that he'd better be back at his desk by the time I finish laughing.

Wow, this shows such a lack of understanding of human nature.  I just don't know where to begin JMK?!?!?!?!?!?

As is often the case, I have no idea what you mean. Care to elaborate?
2014-10-21 12:21 PM

User image

As is often the case, I have no idea what you mean. Care to elaborate?

Possibly a better place to start would be you explaining this and your rational behind it.

"You can certainly demand a raise, but if your value to the company, in terms of your experience, skills, productivity, and work history, hasn't changed, I wouldn't be so sure that you'll get one. There is only one reason (excepting COLAs) that a person has a right to expect a raise: Are they bringing more value to the company than they were a year ago? The fact that the new guy in the mailroom who used to make $8 now makes the same as you after 7 years on the job might sting your ego, but that by itself is not a reason that your boss should pony up more money if you're still doing the same job and delivering the same results that you were last year. If a person came to me and said, "XYZ used to make 20% less than me, and he just got a raise, so I demand that you give me a raise so I still make 20% more than him" I'd tell him that he'd better be back at his desk by the time I finish laughing."

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Seattle raises minimum wage to $15/hr Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

MIN WAGE $10./HR. DO KIDS NEED TO FIN. SCHOOL??? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by strykergt
Views: 5227 Posts: 65

2014-10-13 10:38 PM crusevegas

Protests for $15 an hour minimum wage Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jmcconne
Views: 5009 Posts: 52

2014-01-02 7:46 AM TriMyBest
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : December 8, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Highly trained athletes can maintain a specific HR longer than a newbie without much creeping; their endurance is greater—thus able to keep pace efficiently and without much additional increase in HR.
date : July 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
On the first rep I tore my soleus muscle. Am I ok to swim? How long should I avoid running? Will using an elliptical trainer be ok?

date : June 27, 2006
author : Team BT
Hip Raise Crunches strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 27, 2006
Lateral Raise strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?